Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

So here is my question (and I have been following since late January like many of you).  I haven't seen anything contradicting the information I saw a week or so back that this virus is vulnerable to high temperatures, and that the general feeling is that this will go away by summer (independently from the measures of social distancing, people getting over it, herd immunity, etc.). 

If that's true, why are there cases in Australia and other southern hemisphere countries where it's summer?  

1 minute ago, Planet Houston said:

So here is my question (and I have been following since late January like many of you).  I haven't seen anything contradicting the information I saw a week or so back that this virus is vulnerable to high temperatures, and that the general feeling is that this will go away by summer (independently from the measures of social distancing, people getting over it, herd immunity, etc.). 

If that's true, why are there cases in Australia and other southern hemisphere countries where it's summer?  

The bigger question is how many cases are in Australia if Tom Hanks and his wife just happen to pick it up there.  

As for a quick real-world look at the economic effects, we work with a family with a single income -- she's a hotel housekeeper.

As bookings have cancelled/declined, she's not getting scheduled for shifts.  Her family has enough money in the bank to pay an extra month's rent....that's it.  That's their cushion.  When that runs out, what then?  And at the apartment complex they live in, I bet that 50% of those families are in similar shape -- after a few weeks of little to no work, they won't be able to make the rent.

Is the complex going to evict 50% of their tenants?  And even if they don't, how are they going to get and pay for food?

There are literally millions of families living on the margin like this.  THAT'S what we need to be taking action on.....and we won't.  The cascade effects from the harm to those families alone is going to be catastrophic.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

For fucks sake, please, somebody point me to the right page.  Texas had a dedicated page on the state HHS website listing cases in Texas and where they are located.  

And now it appears that they’ve removed that information.  I have to be crazy, and there has to be a different page I’m missing  instead of this

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/coronavirus/

Oh.  They did remove the numbers today.  Fuck.  Fucking fuck.

This is the website from yesterday   

https://web.archive.org/web/20200311020918/https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/coronavirus/

Fuck you state officials for removing that information.   

now that is some bullshit. my first thought is they pulled it down to update it but they were supposed to do that by 10a daily

3 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

People can still drag it down there and give it to other people.  It just doesn't appear to thrive well.  We're not seeing exponential multiplying in warm weather environments.  That's good news for Texas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

So Sweden has stopped testing for the most part. I assume a healthy chunk of other countries opted for this route as well. I'm not trying to rain on the "what the fuck are we doing, why aren't we testing, the fucking feds are clowns!" parade for that part of the mob, but as many others have suggested on this thread for weeks (not me), large scale testing may not make a whole lot of sense if this shit is really widespread already. I don't know. I don't really understand that part of the outcry once it was established that we, and others, did very little in the beginning of the outbreak.

Link to the Swedish article that your browser should be able to translate: https://www.dn.se/sthlm/farre-kommer-att-provtas-for-coronaviruset-i-stockholm/

It says they’re Not testing bc it takes a lot of resources away from the hospital so they’re focusing on the vulnerable populations only in order to prioritize care. So if you are healthy and young, And you have symptoms that are consistent With corona, then they want you to  just stay home and wait it out.

Lots of questions remain on how testing here could hamper care resources but I’d hope we have more capabilities than the Swedes. Who knows though. 

Testing still critical IMO Bc I want to know if I have allergies or this virus. I want to know that if I have to stay home bc the subway shuts down, then do I allow my gf’s sister and her man to come or get them tested first? Her parents are 60+, do they let their grandson come over and stay before being tested? Testing still helpful right now. 

edit: they also have around 500 infected, looked to Italy, saw the wave coming and realized that one way to get ahead of it is by focusing care. Testing still gives us an advantage for now. 

Edited by achooloco

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

now that is some bullshit. my first thought is they pulled it down to update it but they were supposed to do that by 10a daily

ignore, refresh your browser, they have a dedicated page

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/news/updates.shtm#coronavirus

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

Good god watching today’s media event with Trump. Quadrupled down on saving thousands of lives already by his actions and that we only have 32 deaths here, and so few compared to other nations. No concept of how a virus works. Then talked about his tax cuts. Guess he’s back on point today. 

14 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

In 2009, 60 million American were infected with the Swine Flu and over 300,000 were hospitalized. Does anybody even remember Swine Flu? Me neither.

I got it in Cabo. We were there for our 1 year wedding anniversary, April 26th 2009.

I didn't think that I was going to die but it was and still is the sickest that I've ever been in my adult life. Brutal.

Edit - I was a healthy 32 year old, non smoker and no pre-existing conditions.

Edited by smuggs
fuck the swine flu.
  • Like 2

In 2009, 60 million American were infected with the Swine Flu and over 300,000 were hospitalized. Does anybody even remember Swine Flu? Me neither.

The hospitalization rate for Covid-19 is 10-15%. What is 10-15% of 60 million? Can you do math or are you too fixated on conspiracies.
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Yes.  Only idiots wouldn't remember that from only 11 years ago. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I believe the outcry about testing has to do with the early on containment. Stories about people needing testing and either being denied testing because there were no tests or the CDC rejecting to test the person and then the person goes out and spreads it to hundreds of other at no fault of their own. They were told it’s probably nothing. 

If at this point we are conceding it’s everywhere, then maybe we should focus on triage and not testing but the original outcry for no texting was legitimate 

15 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I got the exact opposite. I have seen worse but that was a shit response to a real issue. Couple that speech with the shit at the Senate committee earlier today and I have less optimism. We are going to lose a large amount of our olds. I hope not and I wish we were more aggressive/analytical in this deal. 

Couldn’t agree more.  Especially from someone who was in London and got a wakeup call around 1am from my wife saying it’s probably time to get home.  I was due to fly back Saturday.   I realize that doesn’t affect most but it’s been damn stressful for Americans in Europe now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

One interesting side note. Tried to buy two things of cough syrup. Randalls only lets you buy one per customer. 

If in Houston I get it but Austin isn’t known for its “drank” scene. 

They don't sell codeine-laced syrup OTC.

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I believe the outcry about testing has to do with the early on containment. Stories about people needing testing and either being denied testing because there were no tests or the CDC rejecting to test the person and then the person goes out and spreads it to hundreds of other at no fault of their own. They were told it’s probably nothing. 

If at this point we are conceding it’s everywhere, then maybe we should focus on triage and not testing but the original outcry for no texting was legitimate 

No fault of their own is a little disingenuous. If you are sick, stay away from other people. This rule doesn’t only apply to covid19.  

• Like 3

Coronavirus Live Updates: Brazilian Official Who Met With Trump Tests Positive

Vice President Mike Pence warned that the United States will have thousands more cases and said that Americans returning from Europe would need to self-quarantine for 14 days.

RIGHT NOW

A senior Brazilian official who was with President Trump at Mar-a-Lago days ago has tested positive for the virus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/world/coronavirus-news.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

I’ve been flipping between CNN and Fox News. No CR. Fox has been talking all morning about the democratic races. Just laser focused on it. Very little about the markets and almost nothing about the virus except how the dem candidates are handling rallies and their advanced ages. 

I bring it up because it is important to understand that half the country that gets their news from this outlet absolutely do not have any sense or urgency or belief this is a big deal. This matters in regards to social distancing for everyone. 

• Like 2

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

The company I work for, a massive engineering firm with offices all over the world (as well as clients from all over) has closed our office gyms. Also no handshake policy in place.

Any word on the handjob policy?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

At Costco in oak hill for medicine for my dog and it looks like end of days here. Absolutely nuts. 

we need pictures.

I love living in a college town where the students cannot afford to hoard shit except ramen and STD's. plenty of TP. beer aisle is low, but that is probably spring break. 

• Like 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I’ve been flipping between CNN and Fox News. No CR. Fox has been talking all morning about the democratic races. Just laser focused on it. Very little about the markets and almost nothing about the virus except how the dem candidates are handling rallies and their advanced ages. 

I bring it up because it is important to understand that half the country that gets their news from this outlet absolutely do not have any sense or urgency or belief this is a big deal. This matters in regards to social distancing for everyone. 

And CNN is 90% Virus. I loved the "oh poor teacher so and so in Seattle. She has to educate kids online." Shit, work from home in PJ's and add some baileys to that coffee ma'am. 

• Like 2

Just got back from HEB.  Fucking hell.  Glad I buy stuff regularly.  No TP, paper towels, rice, pasta was low and anything with a shelf life was really slim pickings.  This is insane.  I just counted how many rolls of TP I have in the house.  We are all safe.

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

we need pictures.

I love living in a college town where the students cannot afford to hoard shit except ramen and STD's. plenty of TP. beer aisle is low, but that is probably spring break. 

Fuck that. I went in and out for the meds and that was it. Car line to get into the parking lot, line to get into store, lines at the registers (moving pretty fast), line to get out. 

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away