Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This is probably the wrong site to be asking this question but is anyone still going to the gym? I went for the last time a few days ago I think. It was pretty empty.

I'm staying away.  I work out at the Y and I've stopped going and will until further notice.

I've got kettlebells at home.

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This is probably the wrong site to be asking this question but is anyone still going to the gym? I went for the last time a few days ago I think. It was pretty empty.

I stopped last week.  Dusted off the garage bench, weights and cage and it's a nice change of pace.  

21 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Drs. Fauci and Redfield talked to Congress today, lots of good info from Fauci.  I had never heard of Fauci before this crisis but he seems to be the most trustworthy and apolitical person we have working on this.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?470224-1/federal-health-officials-testify-coronavirus-outbreak-response

That obviously means he will be fired any day now because he's not toeing the official "I'm the smartest man alive" line from Trump.  & Fuck you if you don't think that's a real possibility from this "jackass in charge".

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I've been going every day and as far as I know they don't have any plans to shut down business. There are bleach wipes and hand sanitizer everywhere. But yeah it was pretty empty too.

10 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This is a good thing

we need more school closures, more event closures, more flight cancellations

cant believe that local govt has to do this shit. Zero direction from the feds

The lack of federal direction, the playing around with case and testing numbers, the refusal to closes down travel to certain areas, etc. has honestly been the most jarring thing in all of this.   

I always expected that should we get anything this serious, the feds would be rolling in, lights blazing, sirens blaring, and ready to take over from the locals.   Shutdown of airports, bus terminals, ports, etc.

instead, it’s been the exact opposite.   Maybe the Alex Jones crowd should be happy?  Instead of the martial law they always feared, the government is hell-bent on keeping everything running normally, with little involvement.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Pancho said:

- Online success rates are terrible.

That's like saying "Amazon delivery in 2010 was shitty". Most people currently enrolled in "online degrees" are not going to have a higher success rate if they are in a traditional school. But a paradigm shift would change that. 

6 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I've been going every day and as far as I know they don't have any plans to shut down business. There are bleach wipes and hand sanitizer everywhere. But yeah it was pretty empty too.

We use the Y, and they’ve always seemed to be reasonably clean, at least the locations we use, and they have seemed a bit more aggressive as of late in their cleaning.  

33 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Ha, thought the same. Mine is comparatively the same amount. Couple new faces, couple regulars haven’t been there but generally the same number. Tune might change next week though.

at my gym they have the little wipe stations All over and I always use them after I am done but might start before too. I get why they would shut it down but if I’m stuck at home for two weeks with no gym or bars, things will get interesting real soon. 

@immamac Genuine question for you - WHO Guidelines say specifically NOT to call it "Chinese" or "Wuhan" virus since it can lead to people mistakenly thinking it's spread by only chinese people (see: chinese restaurants losing business, corona beer, etc). With that in mind would you be against changing  the respective thread titles on this to COVID-19?

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

instead, it’s been the exact opposite.   Maybe the Alex Jones crowd should be happy?  Instead of the martial law they always feared, i the government is hell-bent on keeping everything running normally, with little involvement.  

I'm honestly floored, even for this administration.  There HAS to be people advising them that if we don't make really hard decisions and issue strong warnings right now, more people are going to die, and this economy looks much worse come November.  We may be fucked regardless, but how do we not think our best bet is flattening the curve as much as possible and hoping for a summer reprieve (obviously not a sure thing) to better prepare for the fall.   Look at the statement Merkel made today.  I just don't get it.  Unless we see a massive turnaround, I think the post-mortem on the response by every level of the federal govt that had a hand in this is going to be beyond ugly.

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

@immamac Genuine question for you - WHO Guidelines say specifically NOT to call it "Chinese" or "Wuhan" virus since it can lead to people mistakenly thinking it's spread by only chinese people (see: chinese restaurants losing business, corona beer, etc). With that in mind would you be against changing  the respective thread titles on this to COVID-19?

Is anyone here stupid enough to think that? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

JFC.

• Like 5

Look yall, it's not a ridiculous thing. If the WHO's evaluation of CV-19 as a pandemic is so important, why should we not follow best practices when the thread title was arbitrarily changed already? It's not like I'm trying to make some political point - this is a genuine health crisis and it's more descriptive and accurate to call it just CV-19/coronavirus

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LonghornJones said:

I don't think anyone is man enough or hates Covid-19 enough to post these kinda pics. 

Just make sure they are vintage prime Faye pics and not the current version.

As for those going to the gym, what kind of stockpile do you think they have regarding wipes/sanitizer?  I'd guess about 7-10 days worth.  And they arent getting anymore anytime soon.

The HEB in Kingwood (definitely sort of Trump Country) has been out of hand soap, sanitizer, bleach and TP since last Friday.  Hell, all the boxed Kraft Mac and Cheese was gone yesterday.  One of the  Macanudo-ettes asked if we should stock up on tampons.  Well,  I now have way more tampons at Casa Macanudo than I ever thought I would need. 

The panic will be real.  And it will be televised.

Edited by Macanudo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Look yall, it's not a ridiculous thing. If the WHO's evaluation of CV-19 as a pandemic is so important, why should we not follow best practices when the thread title was arbitrarily changed already? It's not like I'm trying to make some political point - this is a genuine health crisis and it's more descriptive and accurate to call it just CV-19/coronavirus

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

2 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Sorry, no link.  A student told me they received an email. 

Most recent thing on tcu website

March 10, 2020 (9 PM) – TCU is working continuously with local, regional and federal health authorities to monitor the coronavirus situation and we are adhering to their guidelines. Currently, students and faculty are on Spring Break and university staff is operating regular business hours. There are no reported cases at TCU. Please continue to visit this website for TCU-related updates and information regarding updated procedures. At this time, there is no change to our status and we continue to monitor the situation closely.

2 minutes ago, LonghornJones said:

Can we rename the thread title to "COVID -19/CV-19/Corona Virus/Current Pandemic (Not Chinese Wuhan Virus) thread?"

I vote for Pandumbic or Game of Colds

honorable mention  KO Boomer

Edited by Loco
  • Like 6

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away