Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, Skipper said:

The messaging we receive from the president and VP today after these meetings are extremely important.  If we continue to get mixed messages it's going to be beyond obvious what the administration's priority is.   I really wish this shit wasn't hitting during an election year.  Politics need to take a backseat right now and leaders need to lead.

I just found the spot from the hearing where they got yanked

Literally out of the blue. And they have no idea when they can come back to inform the public. For fucking fucks sake. We're all going to be fucked by this thing.

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

This is really fucking concerning that the healthcare professionals charged with actually implementing a response got yanked out of the hearing immediately after contradicting the stance of the president and the WH. This is a shit show.

No CR, but this is the opposite of what a coordinated and active response to a pandemic looks like. People's lives are at risk because of all of the uncertainty stemming from this fucking clown fiesta.

Yep, so much angst over the panic.  Our government's actions or the lack thereof are the damn reason for the panic.  If you want people to calm the fuck down, put someone competent in charge who levels with the American people and seems more concerned about public health and welfare than patting themselves on the back to deflect from past mistakes.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

No, it's possible to just have a runny nose. 

Yeah, this thing definitely creates hypochondria. Every sore throat, upset stomach, and congestion symptom has people wondering whether they have the virus.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I just found the spot from the hearing where they got yanked

Literally out of the blue. And they have no idea when they can come back to inform the public. For fucking fucks sake. We're all going to be fucked by this thing.

No doubt in my mind that WH didn't like what the experts we're saying and called a meeting to get them off TV.

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Really not good.   If it comes to pass that these Dr's were effectively muzzled and we continue to get mixed messaging from the administration, State and Local officials need to stop taking any fucking direction from the federal govt and basically ignore everything they are saying.  Period.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

No doubt in my mind that WH didn't like what the experts we're saying and called a meeting to get them off TV.

That's possible. It is also possible they knew the WHO pandemic announcement was coming and needed them in the WH. Even if that's not true, that's how they'll need to play it.

Just now, Apep said:

That's possible. It is also possible they knew the WHO pandemic announcement was coming and needed them in the WH. Even if that's not true, that's how they'll need to play it.

What, because we didn't know it was a pandemic already? The WHO announcement should just be a formality, whatever it's labelled doesn't change that we have our dicks in our hands as far as an effective response goes.

So when does the absolute panic in the grocery stores begin? 

Well... last night and yesterday I’m seeing posts on fb about target and Walmart being out of TP in my part of the country...it’s definitely already begun all over unless I’m in extreme ultra conservative western nodak or BFE Wyoming

Drs. Fauci and Redfield talked to Congress today, lots of good info from Fauci.  I had never heard of Fauci before this crisis but he seems to be the most trustworthy and apolitical person we have working on this.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?470224-1/federal-health-officials-testify-coronavirus-outbreak-response

Edited by Texas Jeff

What, because we didn't know it was a pandemic already? The WHO announcement should just be a formality, whatever it's labelled doesn't change that we have our dicks in our hands as far as an effective response goes.

It’s not a formality and has a direct impact on what countries should do.

26 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

They're going to play the Nebraska Boys State Basketball tournament with no fans after the 5th instate case played in the Girls Tournament last week. 

Texas boys state tourney starts tomorrow at Alamo Dome

23 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

This will be the lasting impact of corona. People will realize that 99.9% of the shit they do can be done at home at 1/10th the cost. Fuck overpriced Universities. 

college professor for 8 years here.  I'll chime in for a bit

First off, taking online classes doesn't equal cheaper tuition. With that said, this is not a good thing for colleges and universities for many reasons. I'll try to outline a few below:

- Online success rates are terrible.  It's bad because students don't know how to take online classes.  There are also students who take face-to-face classes specifically because they aren't successful with online, they can't do online, or their learning style doesn't match with online learning. 

- You can't just make a face-to-face class an online class halfway into the semester.   That's just not how it works, especially if you didn't prep back in December for a spring semester online class.  Also of note--yes, there are professors who never teach online because they themselves are BAD at it.  I'm already getting emails from colleagues about what sites to use for online learning besides our LMS, and our college hasn't even announced anything--yet.

- Shutting down a college/university means there will be percentages of students who have no places to sleep, no food to eat, and no ability to do the work for the class the administrators just made the professor put online because they have either poor internet, no internet access (besides the university), or no device other than their phone.  And with their phone, they rely on WiFi.

So yeah, it's been an interesting week on Academic Twitter as people all over the country are giving ideas and suggestions because throwing an entire university into online learning for a few weeks/months isn't as easy as 6-7 figure admniistrators believe it is. 

• Like 9

So much for waiting until lower-respiratory issues to be worried.

"The researchers found very high levels of virus emitted from the throat of patients from the earliest point in their illness —when people are generally still going about their daily routines. 

This pattern of virus shedding is a marked departure from what was seen with the SARS coronavirus, which ignited an outbreak in 2002-2003. With that disease, peak shedding of virus occurred later, when the virus had moved into the deep lungs.

Shedding from the upper airways early in infection makes for a virus that is much harder to contain. The scientists said at peak shedding, people with Covid-19 are emitting more than 1,000 times more virus than was emitted during peak shedding of SARS infection, a fact that likely explains the rapid spread of the virus."

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/09/people-shed-high-levels-of-coronavirus-study-finds-but-most-are-likely-not-infectious-after-recovery-begins/

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

This is probably the wrong site to be asking this question but is anyone still going to the gym? I went for the last time a few days ago I think. It was pretty empty.

IMO....one of the worse places you could go....unless you just want to catch it to get it over with

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This is probably the wrong site to be asking this question but is anyone still going to the gym? I went for the last time a few days ago I think. It was pretty empty.

Still going, and my gym in Nawf Houston is still pretty full. But then again, it's spring break. 

I wash my hands or use the purell station after every exercise.  I absolutely do not trust those fucks at the gym.  Yall nasty. 

23 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

There was no line when I went through security for my 11am flight out of Newark two months ago.  That poster is still going to be on a full flight with someone coughing on them and a baby kicking their seat.

• Haha 1

I honestly surprised by Trump’s stance on this. On one hand I understand he trying to affect the market and economy in an election year.

But IMO we’ve been due for a downturn for a while and this gives him the perfect excuse. Something completely out of his control. And this thing has the potential to affect a large portion of his base - olds. He’s risking losing them to death or scaring them away. 

I would think he’d protect the 70+ crowd no matter. 

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

So much for waiting until lower-respiratory issues to be worried.

"The researchers found very high levels of virus emitted from the throat of patients from the earliest point in their illness —when people are generally still going about their daily routines. 

This pattern of virus shedding is a marked departure from what was seen with the SARS coronavirus, which ignited an outbreak in 2002-2003. With that disease, peak shedding of virus occurred later, when the virus had moved into the deep lungs.

Shedding from the upper airways early in infection makes for a virus that is much harder to contain. The scientists said at peak shedding, people with Covid-19 are emitting more than 1,000 times more virus than was emitted during peak shedding of SARS infection, a fact that likely explains the rapid spread of the virus."

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/09/people-shed-high-levels-of-coronavirus-study-finds-but-most-are-likely-not-infectious-after-recovery-begins/

^^^ That is why a program of as many possible people wearing masks as possible is important - block spread from those who don't know they're about to be sick.  We need shiploads of masks to distribute to communities asap. 

and not good for Bahrain:

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away