Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

Not everyone fears death, and especially not those who are consistently walking on the verge of it anyway.

Ahh yes, the American narcissism. Tell the 70 year old lady it ain't about her. Maybe her 65 year old neighbor with autoimmune disease wants to see her grandchildren get married or graduate high school. Maybe the next doctor she visits doesn't need to have Covid 19 so he can continue surgery or seeing patients each day. It's about slowing the spread until we can come up with widespread testing, better treatments, allow slowing use of ICU beds and eventually develop and release a vaccine.

• Like 2

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Hospital beds and ventilators talk now. 

They're several minutes into their answer and haven't given numbers yet though. Best we got was "We will work to increase the supplies. We have tremendous supplies, but we need more". And they won't give us numbers for "national security reasons". 

We're critically short on ventilators. People are going to die. 

Just now, Captainant said:

They're several minutes into their answer and haven't given numbers yet though. Best we got was "We will work to increase the supplies. We have tremendous supplies, but we need more". And they won't give us numbers for "national security reasons". 

We're critically short on ventilators. People are going to die. 

Fauci said 12,000 ventilators in the stockpile this morning.   HHS just said they are scaling up production, but can’t give out numbers for national security purposes.  

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Fauci said 12,000 ventilators in the stockpile this morning.   HHS just said they are scaling up production, but can’t give out numbers for national security purposes.  

Good to know that there's an official number out. 

Bad to know that's critically short on them, assuming even a .5% rate of serious hospitalization for infections. 

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Imma go build a ventilator factory. See you poor fucks later.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, F250 said:

My 18 year old son has been all over the fucking place this week. He decided to take a trip to Fiesta Texas, played in the Comal baseball tournament, been to his girlfriend's house daily, attempted to make a day trip to N. Padre, crashed at his friend's house and has probably played in a Chuck E Cheese ball pit too.

My 67 year old mother in law just showed up a little while ago unannounced and it turns out her and my son made plans to go out for lunch and do a little shopping. I looked at my wife and she said "well, they already made plans."

Mrs Roll wants to know if you put your foot down on this one?

7 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Good stuff.  I also looked it up and Lodi is 2900/sq mile pop density and Bergamo is 7900/sq mile.  I think we will see that while social distancing is a very important tool it general it's an absolutely critical tool the higher up the pop density scale you are (for obvious reasons if you watched the balls bounce around on that WaPo simulator)

It's yet to really be determined what kind of factor population density plays. It certainty can't help. I am interested to see if the relatively low density of Texas metros ends up being some sort of defense mechanism.

Still, the contrast between the trend lines is way too stark to attribute to that. They're also both in the greater Milan metro with a lot of interconnectivity throughout the area, so the density of an individual locality doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.

11 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Ahh yes, the American narcissism. Tell the 70 year old lady it ain't about her. Maybe her 65 year old neighbor with autoimmune disease wants to see her grandchildren get married or graduate high school. Maybe the next doctor she visits doesn't need to have Covid 19 so he can continue surgery or seeing patients each day. It's about slowing the spread until we can come up with widespread testing, better treatments, allow slowing use of ICU beds and eventually develop and release a vaccine.

Most people are shortsighted. I was merely pointing out the notion that most of them believe they are bulletproof is not entirely accurate.

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

We need to save the money in case we have to airlift @RayDog to safety.   

Thanks, I reallly appreciate it but I am staying.

The 86 year old American here died on Saturday.  There are now 140 cases and 12 deaths here so the Philippines is about 10 days behind the US. One of the dead was 40 with no preexisting conditions. Everything is still centered on Manila, but I am sure it is here since a local Grab driver git it. Grab is the Asian Uber.

The mayor decided to close all bars and clubs starting the 16th. I am already having women I have not had sex with in over a year asking for money, and others that I never met. I am turning them down as I have scaled back my activities to avoid infection, and am mostly helping my most recent ex-gf and her family. There will be some temptations I may not be able to resist, and I will give some women I know food money with no boom-boom required, since I am a nice guy.

Most of the expats here are Trumpers with preexisting conditions who have not prepared at all  because they still think it is a hoax that is no worse than the flu. I have been telling them to give someone their family contact information,  and I have offered to help with arrangements for a few friends if I make it and they don't or vis versa.

2 minutes ago, RayDog said:

Thanks, I reallly appreciate it but I am staying.

The 86 year old American here died on Saturday.  There are now 140 cases and 12 deaths here so the Philippines is about 10 days behind the US. One of the dead was 40 with no preexisting conditions. Everything is still centered on Manila, but I am sure it is here since a local Grab driver git it. Grab is the Asian Uber.

The mayor decided to close all bars and clubs starting the 16th. I am already having women I have not had sex with in over a year asking for money, and others that I never met. I am turning them down as I have scaled back my activities to avoid infection, and am mostly helping my most recent ex-gf and her family. There will be some temptations I may not be able to resist, and I will give some women I know food money with no boom-boom required, since I am a nice guy.

Most of the expats here are Trumpers with preexisting conditions who have not prepared at all  because they still think it is a hoax that is no worse than the flu. I have been telling them to give someone their family contact information,  and I have offered to help with arrangements for a few friends if I make it and they don't or vis versa.

Just curious. What age group are you?  

If they do a shutdown what they need to do a bailout for is small businesses.  They're going to be the most heavily hit and they're the backbone of American business.  Not SBA loans but real relief.  Most true small businesses are not going to be in a position to get an SBA loan with the stress this is going to put on their financials.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Most people are shortsighted. I was merely pointing out the notion that most of them believe they are bulletproof is not entirely accurate.

I got ya. I was miffed at the old lady. The thing is that even a large chunk of the elderly will come out okay so in their minds "bullet proof".

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

It's yet to really be determined what kind of factor population density plays. It certainty can't help. I am interested to see if the relatively low density of Texas metros ends up being some sort of defense mechanism.

Still, the contrast between the trend lines is way too stark to attribute to that. They're also both in the greater Milan metro with a lot of interconnectivity throughout the area, so the density of an individual locality doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.

It seems like it really depends on how wide the clusters are and how dense they become. Examples of that is the #31 case in South Korea who ended up fucking over a significant amount of people by breaking quarantine. Lodi seems like it's a bit further removed from the Milan area and density as it's not quite as developed towards there, whereas it seems like there's a relatively consistent population center towards Bergamo. 

They are within the greater metro, but I still would think that it affects it significantly. One of the authors of the study did say they were going to address it (and it's crazy that all those cases in Bergimo came from only 2 clusters!).

I didn't mean to harp on you, but it is one of those things that a reviewer would really make the authors defend. 

1 minute ago, Xian said:

Just curious. What age group are you?  

I am 58. I am also fat from too many beers and margaritas over the years, so while I am generally healthy I am not in the best possible shape for dealing with this.

2 minutes ago, Xian said:

What is essential business anyway?  I mean I get food, medicine, and law enforcement, but those people also need supplies.  So refineries, bearing houses, machine shops?  If so it seems like business will stay as usual in Houston.  

I'd think it's utilities, food supply, energy, emergency/public services, banking to some extent... You could argue that auto repair is essential in large parts of this country.

Despite a lot of idiots, self-social distancing is stepping up in the US:

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/ticket-sales-dive-box-office-lowest-turnout-20-69607041

Ticket sales plunged to their lowest levels in at least 20 years at North American movie theaters as the coronavirus pandemic led to one of Hollywood's worst weekends at the box office.

Receipts totaled about $55.3 million in U.S. and Canada theaters, according to studio estimates Sunday. Not since 2000 has weekend box office revenue been so low, according to data firm Comscore, when $54.5 million in tickets were sold on a quiet September weekend. More people went to the movies the weekend after Sept. 11, 2001...

...The weekend's sales overall were down 45% from the weekend before, according to Comscore.

While this weekend's crop of films weren't expected to compete with the same timeframe last year, when “Captain Marvel” was in release, revenue was down 60% from the same weekend last year....

5 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Apparently the Chicago ban on restaurants doesn't include take out or delivery apps. Kind of surprised. 

These measures are about reducing congregation of large groups in close proximity.  It’s not about eliminating all risk.

2 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

It seems like it really depends on how wide the clusters are and how dense they become. Examples of that is the #31 case in South Korea who ended up fucking over a significant amount of people by breaking quarantine. Lodi seems like it's a bit further removed from the Milan area and density as it's not quite as developed towards there, whereas it seems like there's a relatively consistent population center towards Bergamo. 

They are within the greater metro, but I still would think that it affects it significantly. One of the authors of the study did say they were going to address it (and it's crazy that all those cases in Bergimo came from only 2 clusters!).

I didn't mean to harp on you, but it is one of those things that a reviewer would really make the authors defend. 

No I think it's a valid point. While I honestly didn't know the density difference between two when I shared, I used the "FWIW" tag because obviously one tweet or report is going to tell the full story.

It definitely stands to reason that lower density would aid in controlling the outbreak, with or without social distancing. It also makes sense that Lodi came on stronger because they were case 1 in Italy. Even with all of that said, I highly doubt that whatever impact the difference in density has overshadows the fact that restrictions were enacted earlier in Lodi.

10 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

These measures are about reducing congregation of large groups in close proximity.  It’s not about eliminating all risk.

You're right. It also is pretty rare to catch it from food especially if you reheat the food at your house to kill the virus if it is present. It's a way to keep restaurants operating at minimal staff and minimal risk but still making money

Just now, Junior Miller said:

You're right. It also is pretty rare to catch it from food especially if you reheat the food at your house to kill the virus if it is present. It's a way to keep restaurants operating at minimal staff and minimal risk but still making money

It’s also a source of food.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away