Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, Junior Miller said:

You're right. It also is pretty rare to catch it from food especially if you reheat the food at your house to kill the virus if it is present. It's a way to keep restaurants operating at minimal staff and minimal risk but still making money

Just ordered That delivery.  Plan to sign with my own men for (fat) tip, wipe down boxes, reheat food in oven (we won't eat until kids are down anyways).   Can't eliminate all risk and want to try to help out local businesses while we can!

My 22 year old son works in close quarters with his buddy who was in LA 12 days ago, was in a vehicle with him also. Two days ago said buddy was running fever and feeling like shit, while in the vehicle with my son.  Buddy was tested yesterday.  He went to a Lakers game while he was there, too.

We are waiting on the test results which should be back tomorrow.  My 22 year old has been with us in our house for the past 3 days so plenty of contact with him.

I feel like the right thing to do is to lay out of the office tomorrow and wait on the results from his buddy’s test.  If this shit is as contagious as it appears to be it seems the responsible thing to do.  I’m not thinking too much into this am I?

Serious question.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

It's interesting to read the differences in this board (overall) and TigerDroppings.  Over there a large number are taking a completely different view of the situation than this board.  I probably need to take a hiatus from posting over there because I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall.

I know the liberal media says a hurricane is a coming but it ain’t raining now and that there levy looks pretty strong to me.  What day you cletus?

1 minute ago, Limp Brisket said:

I feel like the right thing to do is to lay out of the office tomorrow and wait on the results from his buddy’s test.  If this shit is as contagious as it appears to be it seems the responsible thing to do.  I’m not thinking too much into this am I?

If your employer has a work from home policy, it'd be a good idea to try it out tomorrow, yea.

10 minutes ago, Limp Brisket said:

My 22 year old son works in close quarters with his buddy who was in LA 12 days ago, was in a vehicle with him also. Two days ago said buddy was running fever and feeling like shit, while in the vehicle with my son.  Buddy was tested yesterday.  He went to a Lakers game while he was there, too.

We are waiting on the test results which should be back tomorrow.  My 22 year old has been with us in our house for the past 3 days so plenty of contact with him.

Serious question.

Yes work from home if you can.

2 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

So what does it take to get to 'Presumptive Positive' status?  Based on the test screening factors, it's not just a fever and a cough, but significant respiratory distress, right?  Hospitalization?  

I think it means the test came back positive but has yet to be "confirmed" by CDC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clapclapclap said:

So what does it take to get to 'Presumptive Positive' status?  Based on the test screening factors, it's not just a fever and a cough, but significant respiratory distress, right?  Hospitalization?  

The presumptive classification is an artifact of the testing methodology.  It just means that it was positive and they are sending out for a confirmation. It's positive. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Just ordered That delivery.  Plan to sign with my own men for (fat) tip, wipe down boxes, reheat food in oven (we won't eat until kids are down anyways).   Can't eliminate all risk and want to try to help out local businesses while we can!

definitely. I've been ordering takeout from different mom and pop places I like this last week to help them. You can always write in instructions for them to drop the order off at your door and shoot you a text when it's there if you want to limit people contact 

Picking up my plywood right now to board up my windows and doors. Thanks to this thread, I have been ahead of this as much as I possibly can be. As a bar owner, this is very difficult. I have taken drastic ass measures these last few weeks to try to keep my patrons safe. See list below .  I am certain I will not be open in the end of this week. And have been prepared for it, as much as possible, mostly because of this thread

started buying extra bleach/sanitizer/hand wipes/every extra of Everest cleaning product back in February. Not hurting just enough stock to accommodate my bar.

I have been lysoling and bleaching the fuck out of my bar for the last three weeks.I’m talking every surface anything anybody touches, pool cues, mouse for the sweepstakes games, doorknobs, any handles, backs if seats, every goddamn thing I could think of that people touch. (I realized yesterday I had forgotten the goddamn pens ) 

Switch to plastic instead of glassware prevent spreading.

Several other things.  Bars and restaurants are usually pretty strict on their hygiene anyway. I upped cleaning mine because of the virus and hopes are not being Ground Zero in Jarrell  

That being said, nobody here gives a fuck. truly, I’ve been told by every fucking customer that comes in here that I am over reacting, and being ridiculous. It’s just a fucking cold they say. The denial is ridiculous!

I embrace the quarantine now. As I was dreading it two weeks prior, I want it to happen sooner than later It will kill me financially. I think I have a program in place to recover. Either way it’s going to happen

Also, people stole my sanitizer from my restrooms. Two huge bottles gone

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Limp Brisket said:

Serious question.

If he comes back positive then your son could be contagious with it right now and giving it to you even with no symptoms. Best to quarantine until you know for sure

20 minutes ago, Xian said:

On the positive side.  I’ve gotten really good at not touching my face.  So Ive got that going for me. 

What about masterbation? Are we allowed to masterbate anymore? Asking for a friend. 

Sports websites getting desperate. Clicked on ESPN and their main video on the front page is a clip of Tacko Fall telling people to wash their hands on Instagram. Hard hitting news. 

https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/article_35531ff4-66d9-11ea-95b0-7797f71d169a.html

'It could happen to anybody': Kenner lawyer, 45, in critical care with coronavirus, wife says

Mark Frilot took medicines to treat what he thought for several days was a case of the flu, but he just couldn’t turn the corner.

His fever was spiking nightly. At one point, his wife, Heaven, found him on the edge of their tub talking to himself, delirious.

When he went to East Jefferson General Hospital on Thursday, the staff diagnosed him with double pneumonia and the new coronavirus. Since then the Kenner lawyer has been sedated and attached to a breathing machine as doctors help him fight the potentially deadly respiratory disease that has caused a worldwide pandemic.

Heaven Frilot said Sunday she could hardly believe it. Her husband is 45, a construction litigator who is “never, ever sick...”

Spoiler

But now, after seeing images of huge groups partying in New Orleans on Saturday despite the state’s request for people to practice “social distancing,” she is speaking up, hoping her family’s experience can serve as a warning for those who underestimate the risks of COVID-19.

“It could happen to anybody,” Heaven Frilot said. “That’s all I’m trying to say.”

Mark Frilot first noticed his temperature was a little high March 6: about 99 degrees. Heaven Frilot jokingly called him “a wuss” when he mentioned it. It would be three more days before the state would announce Louisiana's first case of COVID-19, which has inflicted its most severe damage on the elderly.

But when he stayed in bed all day March 7 and still hadn’t improved the next day, he went to an urgent care clinic. There, doctors diagnosed him with the flu and prescribed him Tamiflu, the steroid prednisone and codeine cough syrup.

Heaven Frilot said her husband immediately started taking the medications, but he got worse. When his nightly fevers wouldn’t break, though he was alternating Tylenol and Advil, he called the doctor back. He was told that sometimes happens while on Tamiflu and to continue his treatment.

Then came the bathtub episode.

When the Frilots checked Mark into the ER the next day, they were astounded when staffers informed him a flu test had come back negative. Heaven Frilot said she asked the hospital to get her husband’s paperwork faxed over from the urgent care clinic. When the documents arrived, they showed he had been found negative for the flu there as well, despite the treatment plan he was given.

“I was outraged,” said Heaven Frilot, who declined to identify the urgent care clinic. “How does it happen?”

An infectious disease doctor then spoke with the couple and said Mark was a candidate to receive one of the COVID-19 tests that have been so difficult to get, even for patients sick with fever and other symptoms of the disease.

The hospital ran the test and, after several hours, it came back positive.

Heaven Frilot said the days since then have been a blur. Stricken with both COVID-19 and double pneumonia, Mark Frilot is in critical care and isolation. He consented to being given a paralytic drug, sedated and put on a ventilator, she said.

Essentially, the machine is breathing for him so his lungs can rest, Heaven Frilot said Sunday.

Meanwhile, she has been in self-quarantine with her son. They both had run low-grade fevers by Wednesday. But, as an oil and gas consultant, she works from home. Her son had gone to school a couple of days early last week after testing negative for the flu.

She notified her son’s school, St. Martin’s Episcopal in Metairie, about his father’s diagnosis. St. Martin's, which is closed until at least next month along with the rest of the state's schools, sent an email to its community members informing them.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control began calling people with whom they had been in close contact. 

“I feel horrible. He was misdiagnosed, and I never would’ve put anyone else in jeopardy had I known what he had,” Heaven Frilot said.

The state simply told them that, during their quarantine, they should monitor the fevers they each had developed in the days leading up to Mark Frilot's positive COVID-19 test.

Heaven Frilot said she was horrified at the images trickling over her social media feed Saturday.

Despite officials’ pleas to avoid forming large crowds because COVID-19 is highly contagious, people flocked to a St. Patrick’s Day block party at a Magazine Street bar and to watering holes on Bourbon Street. Police arrived at both scenes to disperse the crowds, who Mayor LaToya Cantrell said were endangering public health.

There were 103 positive cases of COVID-19 in Louisiana as of Sunday evening, the vast majority of which were in the metro New Orleans area. Two people with unspecified underlying health conditions — ages 58 and 53 — had died.

Edited by clapclapclap
Spoiler Alert: He's already been in Heaven

Picking up my plywood right now to board up my windows and doors. Thanks to this thread, I have been ahead of this as much as I possibly can be. As a bar owner, this is very difficult. I have taken drastic ass measures these last few weeks to try to keep my patrons safe. See list below .  I am certain I will not be open in the end of this week. And have been prepared for it, as much as possible, mostly because of this thread
started buying extra bleach/sanitizer/hand wipes/every extra of Everest cleaning product back in February. Not hurting just enough stock to accommodate my bar.
I have been lysoling and bleaching the fuck out of my bar for the last three weeks.I’m talking every surface anything anybody touches, pool cues, mouse for the sweepstakes games, doorknobs, any handles, backs if seats, every goddamn thing I could think of that people touch. (I realized yesterday I had forgotten the goddamn pens ) 
Several other things.  Bars and restaurants are usually pretty strict on their hygiene anyway. I upped cleaning mine because of the virus and hopes are not being Ground Zero in Jarrell  
That being said, nobody here gives a fuck. truly, I’ve been told by every fucking customer that comes in here that I am over reacting, and being ridiculous. It’s just a fucking cold they say. The denial is ridiculous!
I embrace the quarantine now. As I was dreading it two weeks prior, I want it to happen sooner than later It will kill me financially. I think I have a program in place to recover. Either way it’s going to happen

That sucks and so do people.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Junior Miller said:

If he comes back positive then your son could be contagious with it right now and giving it to you even with no symptoms. Best to quarantine until you know for sure

Yeah this is exactly my thoughts.  I just told my boss I’ll work from home tomorrow. 

OK, Surly Legal Eagles --

How does OH, IL, and now CA get away with the disparate impact of completely closing all bars, but allowing restaurants to either do takeout or to do limited capacity dining room service, all in the name of the same "public health crisis?"  Doesn't seem to be an equitable government mandate.

43 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

You're right. It also is pretty rare to catch it from food especially if you reheat the food at your house to kill the virus if it is present. It's a way to keep restaurants operating at minimal staff and minimal risk but still making money

I’ve enjoyed watching you walk yourself down this path of delivered food being totally fine. A week or so ago you were posting on here, asking if anyone had read about transmission over food. Then you posited the theory that your nuke delivery food or takeout n the oven at 400 for a few min it would kill the virus. And with little coverage of food transmission by the medical community I’ve seen relayed here (probably because they transmitted to you through the air while they tossed down your plate of grub) youve now gone full on “it’s rare to catch it from food.” Congrats on becoming your own expert and passing that info along like it’s fact. Have you heard about Jim Baker’s silver solution?

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Shit, my MIL called earlier today with all the corona-symptoms, I think people are going to start flipping out when the numbers come in. 

People are going to start flipping out when they start burying their own.

34 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Yeah, but my damn son is home from college and plans to deliver food. I'm like, "If you were sick, would you cook yourself a meal, go out to eat, or order for delivery?" Do you think he will listen?

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’ve enjoyed watching you walk yourself down this path of delivered food being totally fine. A week or so ago you we’re posting on here, asking if anyone had read about transmission over food. Then you posited the theory that your nuke delivery food or takeout n the oven at 400 for a few min it would kill the virus. And with little coverage of food transmission by the medical community I’ve seen relayed here (probably because they transmitted to you through the air while they tossed down your plate of grub) youve now gone full on “it’s rare to catch it from food.” Congrats on becoming your own expert and passing that info along like it’s fact. Have you heard about Jim Baker’s silver solution?

I've been researching that for a solid a week plus now and everything I've seen has shown there's not much of a risk to it if you are careful. the main risk is in the packaging itself as it's handled by someone at the restaurant or the delivery person. 

I've heard a couple of medical professional speaking on that as well as articles like this one:

https://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/news/coronavirus-no-evidence-food-source-or-transmission-route

I'm by no means an expert on it but I've probably been searching for that answer more over the last eight or nine days and anybody else because I really wanted to support my local friends who own restaurants and wanted to know what the risks were. 

if you handle the packaging properly and dispose of it and handle the food properly as you reheat it to virus-killing temps then the risk is pretty low from what I can see. 

13 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Makes you pissed that the ATF fined you an exorbitant amount when times were good, doesn't it? BS fine because an off duty employee in uniform was caught drinking on the premises. I still fail to see the harm and what/who the fine was intended to protect.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

OK, Surly Legal Eagles --

How does OH, IL, and now CA get away with the disparate impact of completely closing all bars, but allowing restaurants to either do takeout or to do limited capacity dining room service, all in the name of the same "public health crisis?"  Doesn't seem to be an equitable government mandate.

Bar owners aren't a protected class subject to higher scrutiny.  As long as the actions are rationally related to a government purpose (such as public health) they'll be constitutional.

Disclaimer- am a lawyer but it's been over two decades since I took constitutional law.  I'm sure twicehorn can correct me or expand.

• Like 2

We were assured time and time again this is like a flu.  The flu that shut down the MLB season in 1918. No mention of politics here.  But let’s rename the mid season classic after the people that brought us an extra sixty days of suffering.  

and sadly, Minnie Minosa is canceling his 5th comeback.  

Edited by Lobo

Bar owners aren't a protected class subject to higher scrutiny.  As long as the actions are rationally related to a government purpose (such as public health) they'll be constitutional.
Disclaimer- am a lawyer but it's been over two decades since I took constitutional law.  I'm sure twicehorn can correct me or expand.

I’d guess under a state of emergency, the state can do whatever they deem necessary.

8 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Nashville closed down all of their bars too 

5 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

I've been researching that for a solid a week plus now and everything I've seen has shown there's not much of a risk to it if you are careful. the main risk is in the packaging itself as it's handled by someone at the restaurant or the delivery person. 

I've heard a couple of medical professional speaking on that as well as articles like this one:

https://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/news/coronavirus-no-evidence-food-source-or-transmission-route

I'm by no means an expert on it but I've probably been searching for that answer more over the last eight or nine days and anybody else because I really wanted to support my local friends who own restaurants and wanted to know what the risks were. 

if you handle the packaging properly and dispose of it and handle the food properly as you reheat it to virus-killing temps then the risk is pretty low from what I can see. 

Exactly. From what you can see. And your previous post said something along the lines of “it is safe.”

it’s a new virus. No one knows shit. You don’t know shit. On top of that you’re not even a doctor. Maybe stop telling people it’s fucking safe. Just because you haven’t seen anything (and maybe doctors aren’t really focusing on it, being busy at the moment) doesnt mean it’s safe, dude. Try “I’ve given this a lot of thought and I think it’s ok.” But don’t speak like you know.

and I say that as someone who’s probably going to order from my own local places in the heights and maybe try to visit one this week to support them as well. But I view it all as a risk. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away