Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

10 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

HEB shut the bakeries and delis in their stores to focus on necessities. They said this in their press release when all this shit started.

It’s also because of the handling of exposed food.  Many of the chains have killed their meat cases.

All the convenience stores are killing self service items, some even fountain drinks.

I would expect produce to be taking a hit over the next week.  Unless it’s prepackaged.

31 minutes ago, Limp Brisket said:

Stimulus checks, market crash, businesses closed, is this going to cost more than not doing those things with a virus that has a 98.5% survival rate and a predicted 50% infection rate?  Is it overreaction or no?

I’m only asking because one day I lean this way and the next I lean that way.

spacer.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

There was a thread about this but I don’t know where it went. There was an editorial in the WSJ this morning that basically opined that the drastic impact to the economy may not be worth the lives saved, and that phase two needs to incorporate some sort of quarantine for those at risk and everyone else needs to get back to work.

I see the argument. No easy answers.

its why finding some treatment to continue lowering the death/hospitalization rate long term is so important. we flatten the curve, get through the initial wave so health care doesn't crash, ramp up facilities, supplies, treatment, testing, etc.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Bread hack - buy the pillsbury ready to bake refrigerated stuff. You can bake a decent French loaf easily.

my week-end treat was pillsbury biscuits.  hot bread and some of the precious landolakes canola butter.

3 weeks without alchohol.  except for a week ago last night i fell off the wagon.

hot bread.  life during wartime.

Well I heard from my first dipshit Austinite today that thinks we should eradicate the bat population under South Congress Avenue bridge.  Or given his vast understanding of civil engineering and maths, feels we should at the very least fill in the underside of the bridge with cement so they'll have to fly back with no proper shelter here in Austin.  

So if nothing else, the virus is at least showing us who is legally insane.  

I'm guessing on this one like everyone else...how long do we need to be quarantined...shelter in place etc?  I'm saying 2 months from March 14 when much of the lockdown started.  And I'm fully willing to admit that's wishful thinking so I have the green light to go be a degenerate on our annual vegas MDW trip...

• Like 3

also, they were in the middle of a segment on trials...  hydrochloroquine and chloroquine are 2 different things, the first is under trial, the latter is not.  remsidivir is the 2nd one under trial.  there was a 3rd i didn't catch the name then the wapo/intel news broke, they brought on the wapo reporter that wrote the story, now ac has michael lewis on.

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Bread hack - buy the pillsbury ready to bake refrigerated stuff. You can bake a decent French loaf easily.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/walter-sands-favorite-bread-machine-bread-recipe

don’t need a bread machine, just buy or already have a loaf pan. Super easy, minimal ingredients and the dried milk lasts a long time. 

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I'm guessing on this one like everyone else...how long do we need to be quarantined...shelter in place etc?  I'm saying 2 months from March 14 when much of the lockdown started.  And I'm fully willing to admit that's wishful thinking so I have the green light to go be a degenerate on our annual vegas MDW trip...

we have 6-8 weeks to flatten enough to get past the first wave, in my opinion, but I can't see the lockdown lasting more than half that.  My sense is that the CDC is going to keep watching the numbers and that will dictate.

11 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Check this shit out going on in San Fran:

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=9NTnE_1584694903

San Fran gonna San Fran.  what a shitshow that place is.  announcing anything other than we will enforce the laws on the books and you will be arrested for theft and thrown in jail is completely moronic.  

I haven't heard anyone mention it, but thinking about the "olds" dying has been an interesting experience for me.

What I mean is my parents are 69 and 64 years old.  Though they are "senior citizens", they don't seem that old to me.  I'm sure a major part of that is the fact I'm officially a man per Gundy since I'm now 40 years old myself.

But what is an eye opener to me is when I think "olds", or "senior citizens" I tend to think little ole blue haired ladies possibly using a walker.  That is very far from who my parents are, but they both still live lifestyles I'd speculate would make it a very bad thing if they contract Covid-19.

And not just my parents, but their friends that I've known for decades as well.  They're almost all 60+, and many could stand to lose some weight, and/or smoke, and/or drink, they don't exercise, they don't eat particularly well, etc.

It's just a scary thought that they are all at a very high risk of this fucking their shit up.

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we have 6-8 weeks to flatten enough to get past the first wave, in my opinion, but I can't see the lockdown lasting more than half that.  My sense is that the CDC is going to keep watching the numbers and that will dictate.

3-4 weeks is going to be tough.  

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

San Fran gonna San Fran.  what a shitshow that place is.  announcing anything other than we will enforce the laws on the books and you will be arrested for theft and thrown in jail is completely moronic.  

What a fucked up place that is.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

3-4 weeks is going to be tough.  

spacer.png

ha agree.  I work in a very small office thank goodness.  usually 5 people there and plenty of space with separate office doors.

it should be less than 2 weeks but it really depends on the numbers and the hospitalization rate.

Just now, Telegraph_it said:

We might just make it in Texas or we are going to peak late or I don’t know how to read graphs.

I want this curve flattened like a Panhandle whore on a Tuesday at the........wait, I had something for this.  

Seriously, somebody with obnoxious scientific credentials explain this to me because it seems like not the most horrible news I've seen all day.

2 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Italy started lockdown 11 days ago. Shouldn’t they see a reduction in the daily number of new cases, instead of the opposite? Or is this because they are testing more people?

to be honest, I think the pop density really matters in this situation.  NYC/San Fran is like Italy and I don't think Italy's medical system was ready for something like this(that discussion is for another day).

38 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well I heard from my first dipshit Austinite today that thinks we should eradicate the bat population under South Congress Avenue bridge.  Or given his vast understanding of civil engineering and maths, feels we should at the very least fill in the underside of the bridge with cement so they'll have to fly back with no proper shelter here in Austin.  

So if nothing else, the virus is at least showing us who is legally insane.  

Congress ave bats are the only thing in austin that isn't dead to me.

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I want this curve flattened like a Panhandle whore on a Tuesday at the........wait, I had something for this.  

Seriously, somebody with obnoxious scientific credentials explain this to me because it seems like not the most horrible news I've seen all day.

ILI = influenza like illness

Graph shows # of confirmed ILI cases that are flu and those that are not. I guess an assumption could be made that a good % of non flu ILI cases are Covid. 

Not sure why Texas seems to be on downward trajectory. Also not sure why NY and others peaked in Dec., and then dropped, and now are peaking again. Perhaps limiting travel to China helped and then the Euro wave happened? 

13 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

What are you talking about? No announcement was made at all. The "liberal" law was passed years ago and is a California state law.

8 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Local Mexican place is doing delivery.  Watching a movie with the Macanudo-ettes, drinking a margarita and eating Tex-Mex on a Friday night.

Suck it, Coronavirus.

other than not being able to hang out with friends, and potential that you might have to wipe your ass with tree bark,  its like a fucking staycation.  we have food, electricity, water, internet.  noboby is going to arrest you for going on a walk or drivng to the grocery store.  its the psychological issue of trying to get your kids(and some adults) to understand that you aren't going to get knocked down a peg in social status if you aren't "hanging out" at whataburger with the other cool kids.

I would love to have live pro sports even with no fans, if I'm being selfish but whatever. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

ac360... wapo reports the boys were producing classified intel in january that shit is about to get real.

I read that, nothing was surprising.

Hell, this thread was started on January 22, and we were talking about the original Washington State case, and were making jokes about the olds dying.

I would like to think the US intelligence community would be a few weeks ahead of Surly.  

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

He is saying that the spike in "Influenza like illness" was actually people with covid-19 thinking they had the flu. What is troubling are the graphs in his fourth tweet in the thread that show a spike currently occurring in reported ILI (blue), without a spike in positive influenza cases (green), which suggests the number of people with covid-19 is increasing, and is much higher than reported.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
what telegraph said

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away