Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

I read that, nothing was surprising.

Hell, this thread was started on January 22, and we were talking about the original Washington State case, and were making jokes about the olds dying.

I would like to think the US intelligence community would be a few weeks ahead of Surly.  

To be fair to the HUMINT/SIGINT capacity of this website, for several weeks I heard something about a virus you could get from a "wet market", and all I thought of was:

South Austin's Mom.  

I think we knew about it around the same time our intelligence community did, we just didn't appreciate the severity of what we were dealing with...they did. 

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hell, this thread was started on January 22, and we were talking about the original Washington State case, and were making jokes about the olds dying.

I would like to think the US intelligence community would be a few weeks ahead of Surly.  

maybe.

35 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I'm guessing on this one like everyone else...how long do we need to be quarantined...shelter in place etc?  I'm saying 2 months from March 14 when much of the lockdown started.  And I'm fully willing to admit that's wishful thinking so I have the green light to go be a degenerate on our annual vegas MDW trip...

good luck. i am afraid in the US it may be a bit more dragged out to do poor leadership and shit getting dragged out in a decentralized way. but i assume thats in your 2 month estimate

I know of 3 weddings this weekend that are going on. THREE!  people are going. Can you imagine having the delay your wedding because of a pandemic?  PURE FUCKING HORROR

I keep pushing for a total lockdown of all businesses except vitals, and the army/police monitor those. everyone gets $2k a month. thats what it will become anyway, well hopefully becomes, if people on the edge don't go apeshit first or during. this slow bleed doesn't do too much but make it mad

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Welp, actually......

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/03/oregon-leaders-reinforce-message-that-residents-should-stay-home-unless-its-essential.html my

Oregon leaders: Stay home unless it’s essential. It’s time to sacrifice for urgent collective good

Updated 7:36 PM; Today 7:26 PM
Oregon coronavirus press conference 3.12.20

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler, right, stands with Oregon Gov. Kate Brown, center and other state and county officials during a news conference laying out the latest response to coronavirus.

shares

The state of Oregon and the city of Portland are working together to step up and reinforce their message that Oregonians should stay home except for essential activities, Oregon Gov. Kate Brown and Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler announced Friday evening. They stressed that painful limits on normal activities are needed to save lives in the face of a spreading coronavirus pandemic.

Brown said the new policy is known as “stay home, stay healthy.”

Wheeler explained it is not to be called “shelter in place,” a misleading term that suggests a complete lock-down, which is not what officials are calling for.

The directive will still allow Oregonians to go to grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations and do other activities to maintain physical and mental health such as exercising, officials said. But it would ban people from leaving home to meet with friends and family for non-urgent reasons, such as going to the movies or having a party.

Oregonians should not play soccer, basketball, frisbee or other games involving body contact or shared surfaces with people other than immediate family, Multnomah County Chair Deborah Kafoury said.

She said police and other law enforcement officials will not be deployed to enforce the restrictions at this time. But she called out the social irresponsibility of Oregonians who, in a time when non-essential work places have been shut down or moved to working at home, would invite or gather with a group to party.

The governor used a somber tone: “The storm is coming but we still have time to change its course. Stay home and stay healthy.”

The new directive is largely an amplification of existing limits including no onsite drinking or dining at bars and restaurants, a ban on gatherings of more than 25 people and a strong warning to stay at least six feet from other people.

Wheeler said it is to “stay inside your house unless absolutely necessary,” before listing off a long list of exemptions from going for a hike to caring for a relative to going to essential jobs.

Oregon’s amplified plan for the statewide restrictions follows California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s decision to order even more restrictive measures he refered to as shelter-in-place on Thursday. Washington Gov. Jay Inslee so far has not followed suit, despite overseeing the state at the epicenter of the U.S. coronavirus outbreak.

Kafoury said she hopes that on Monday the state will issue a more widespread ban requiring non-essential businesses to close.

Brown for days resisted calls to issue a more restrictive directive, instead urging Oregonians to follow the “aggressive” orders she already issued. On Friday, she said “take the stay-home-to-save-lives directive seriously.”

On Thursday she pleaded for the public to observe social distancing, saying “you will save lives and one of those lives could be your own.” But at the same time Brown directed her staff to prepare for potential additional restrictions by determining which businesses and government functions should qualify as essential and remain open during a shelter-in-place-style order.

She told reporters Friday morning that if there was evidence that Oregonians weren’t following suggestions to stay at least six feet from each other then she would “have to take more restrictive measures.”

Public health officials from five counties in the Portland area cautioned Thursday that forcing people to remain in their homes as much as possible could be difficult to enforce and that cooping people up in their homes rather than allowing them to go outside or engage in activities they consider essential would be counter to their physical and mental health.

Portland had drafted its own shelter-in-place policy before Friday’s news conference.

Washington as of Friday morning had more than 1,500 confirmed coronavirus cases that have so far killed 83 people. California has more than 1,100 confirmed cases and 23 deaths. Oregon has confirmed 114 cases of coronavirus and three people have died.

— Everton Bailey Jr.

Can you please explain what this means?
If you normally go to CostCo and have to wait in long lines to get in, you can instead place your order via Instacart and someone will go shop your order for you and bring it to your house. Instacart Shoppers are being given backdoor entry to bypass the long lines. A lot of IC shoppers are skipping or canceling HEB orders when they find they have to wait in long lines just to get in.

Pro tip: if you want your order done quickly and right, make sure you put in a nice pre-tip. Shoppers are often ridiculing those who want 100 items and put in a $2 tip and those orders sit with no takers. They're going thru all the shit so you don't have to. The good ones will keep in contact about replacements and out of stock. You can have them leave it at the door to minimize contact.

Btw - if you're using UberEats, Doordash, etc for food delivery I hope you're also tipping well. Bad tipping is a good way to not get your order next time. Drivers are having to sit thru long lines to get your food and not all restaurants are able to keep up with limited supplies. DQ was giving out Blizzards in coffee cups earlier tonight.
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Local Mexican place is doing delivery.  Watching a movie with the Macanudo-ettes, drinking a margarita and eating Tex-Mex on a Friday night.

Suck it, Coronavirus.

Amen brotha. The lady at La Hacienda in SA smiled when I ordered 6 margaritas for me and my wife to go (plus food). Good times

15 minutes ago, staboner said:

good luck. i am afraid in the US it may be a bit more dragged out to do poor leadership and shit getting dragged out in a decentralized way. but i assume thats in your 2 month estimate

I know of 3 weddings this weekend that are going on. THREE!  people are going. Can you imagine having the delay your wedding because of a pandemic?  PURE FUCKING HORROR

I keep pushing for a total lockdown of all businesses except vitals, and the army/police monitor those. everyone gets $2k a month. thats what it will become anyway, well hopefully becomes, if people on the edge don't go apeshit first or during. this slow bleed doesn't do too much but make it mad

I have no idea how vegas doesn't completely fall apart with over 2 months of a complete shutdown.  Just thinking aloud while I'm enjoying some good booze.  Finally...

And I know that' financial pain doesn't dictate when we let up on the quarantine.  All the dipshits partying right now are prolonging the hell for us...not to mention killing off a lot of old people, that's kind of a big deal too.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
Balvenie
  • Like 4

cuomo/primtime .... hot providence Dr. Amy Compton Phillips (would)

getting 25k masks a day made for them from the instructions on their website, they are good but other orgs around the country desperate for supplies

people we are seeing positive now contracted 2 weeks ago

cases will go up for 2 weeks, hopefully we level off in 2 weeks with the lockdown measures going on now (it would be nice if the kids would stop partying)

false negatives are a problem for the tests because 1) people don't like the swab jammed up their nose and 2) the tests have to be kept cold and there are challenges to the cold chain of custody/possession.

38 minutes ago, Somnio said:

I haven't heard anyone mention it, but thinking about the "olds" dying has been an interesting experience for me.

What I mean is my parents are 69 and 64 years old.  Though they are "senior citizens", they don't seem that old to me.  I'm sure a major part of that is the fact I'm officially a man per Gundy since I'm now 40 years old myself.

But what is an eye opener to me is when I think "olds", or "senior citizens" I tend to think little ole blue haired ladies possibly using a walker.  That is very far from who my parents are, but they both still live lifestyles I'd speculate would make it a very bad thing if they contract Covid-19.

And not just my parents, but their friends that I've known for decades as well.  They're almost all 60+, and many could stand to lose some weight, and/or smoke, and/or drink, they don't exercise, they don't eat particularly well, etc.

It's just a scary thought that they are all at a very high risk of this fucking their shit up.

60 + should get themselves into a gym, asap.

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Pence staffer has it.    It’s getting around Washington  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20/politics/staffer-vice-president-office-coronavirus/index.html

eeea96636c848d4b8d5c51d4746e639c.png

is wanting the whole government to get it political? i don't think so, but hey i am no racist so who knows

Edited by staboner
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I have no idea how vegas doesn't completely fall apart with over 2 months of a complete shutdown. 

insert Goldblum life finds a way.

i was in vegas in December of '01.  and January of '09.   the place always bounces back.  and most people don't know of the non-vice backbone of vegas.  300k current and former company employees.  the vegas economy has a guaranteed income independent of the vice industry.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Don’t discount this:  There’s a whole helluva lot of people out there who are not used to cooking/eating at home for a week or two at a time.   A lot of people eat at restaurants/fast food joints multiple times during the week, grab breakfast tacos or donuts on the way to work, have their kids eat school lunches, etc.   And plenty of people don’t buy more than a week’s worth of groceries at time, and mix all of that together, and you’ve got a lot of people buying more at the grocery store than normal    

Some of the other stuff is really stupid.  No argument there.    No need for them to be sold out of paper towels, Magnum condoms, etc.

The logistics of supply/demand seem very clear regarding grocery stores  

So what's going on with all the restaurant supplies, Sysco and who ever. There must be a significant surplus there, correct?  Plus a parallel supply chain (some overlap, though they seem fairly independent). 

9 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

cuomo/primtime .... hot providence Dr. Amy Compton Phillips (would)

getting 25k masks a day made for them from the instructions on their website, they are good but other orgs around the country desperate for supplies

people we are seeing positive now contracted 2 weeks ago

cases will go up for 2 weeks, hopefully we level off in 2 weeks with the lockdown measures going on now (it would be nice if the kids would stop partying)

false negatives are a problem for the tests because 1) people don't like the swab jammed up their nose and 2) the tests have to be kept cold and there are challenges to the cold chain of custody/possession.

interesting comment about the tests having to be kept cold

cuomo/primtime: Director Harvard Health Institute Dr. Ashis Jha: gestation is 7-10 days to symptoms, not 4-5 days.  We can avoid 2nd wave like Spanish Flu in winter of '19 if we get on a war footing beds ppe vents it's not going away until we get a vaccine.  We can come off lockdown if we commit to working together we can beat this thing but we have to get on a war footing.  Sitting on our ass over the summer we may have to this (lockdown fuckup) all over again.  We wasted 2 months and did nothing and downplayed it.  We're now suffering the pain with the lockdown.  If we get smarter the 2nd time we'll can beat the shit out of round 2.

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

cuomo/primtime: Director Harvard Health Institute Dr. Ashis Jha: gestation is 7-10 days to symptoms, not 4-5 days.  We can avoid 2nd wave like Spanish Flu in winter of '19 if we get on a war footing beds ppe vents it's not going away until we get a vaccine.  We can come off lockdown if we commit to working together we can beat this thing but we have to get on a war footing.  Sitting on our ass over the summer we may have to this (lockdown fuckup) all over again.  We wasted 2 months and did nothing and downplayed it.  We're now suffering the pain with the lockdown.  If we get smarter the 2nd time we'll can beat the shit out of round 2.

So Fauci vs. Jha cagematch over time to symptoms?

14 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/03/oregon-leaders-reinforce-message-that-residents-should-stay-home-unless-its-essential.html my

Oregon leaders: Stay home unless it’s essential. It’s time to sacrifice for urgent collective good

Updated 7:36 PM; Today 7:26 PM
Oregon coronavirus press conference 3.12.20

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler, right, stands with Oregon Gov. Kate Brown, center and other state and county officials during a news conference laying out the latest response to coronavirus.

shares

The state of Oregon and the city of Portland are working together to step up and reinforce their message that Oregonians should stay home except for essential activities, Oregon Gov. Kate Brown and Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler announced Friday evening. They stressed that painful limits on normal activities are needed to save lives in the face of a spreading coronavirus pandemic.

Brown said the new policy is known as “stay home, stay healthy.”

Wheeler explained it is not to be called “shelter in place,” a misleading term that suggests a complete lock-down, which is not what officials are calling for.

The directive will still allow Oregonians to go to grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations and do other activities to maintain physical and mental health such as exercising, officials said. But it would ban people from leaving home to meet with friends and family for non-urgent reasons, such as going to the movies or having a party.

Oregonians should not play soccer, basketball, frisbee or other games involving body contact or shared surfaces with people other than immediate family, Multnomah County Chair Deborah Kafoury said.

She said police and other law enforcement officials will not be deployed to enforce the restrictions at this time. But she called out the social irresponsibility of Oregonians who, in a time when non-essential work places have been shut down or moved to working at home, would invite or gather with a group to party.

The governor used a somber tone: “The storm is coming but we still have time to change its course. Stay home and stay healthy.”

The new directive is largely an amplification of existing limits including no onsite drinking or dining at bars and restaurants, a ban on gatherings of more than 25 people and a strong warning to stay at least six feet from other people.

Wheeler said it is to “stay inside your house unless absolutely necessary,” before listing off a long list of exemptions from going for a hike to caring for a relative to going to essential jobs.

Oregon’s amplified plan for the statewide restrictions follows California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s decision to order even more restrictive measures he refered to as shelter-in-place on Thursday. Washington Gov. Jay Inslee so far has not followed suit, despite overseeing the state at the epicenter of the U.S. coronavirus outbreak.

Kafoury said she hopes that on Monday the state will issue a more widespread ban requiring non-essential businesses to close.

Brown for days resisted calls to issue a more restrictive directive, instead urging Oregonians to follow the “aggressive” orders she already issued. On Friday, she said “take the stay-home-to-save-lives directive seriously.”

On Thursday she pleaded for the public to observe social distancing, saying “you will save lives and one of those lives could be your own.” But at the same time Brown directed her staff to prepare for potential additional restrictions by determining which businesses and government functions should qualify as essential and remain open during a shelter-in-place-style order.

She told reporters Friday morning that if there was evidence that Oregonians weren’t following suggestions to stay at least six feet from each other then she would “have to take more restrictive measures.”

Public health officials from five counties in the Portland area cautioned Thursday that forcing people to remain in their homes as much as possible could be difficult to enforce and that cooping people up in their homes rather than allowing them to go outside or engage in activities they consider essential would be counter to their physical and mental health.

Portland had drafted its own shelter-in-place policy before Friday’s news conference.

Washington as of Friday morning had more than 1,500 confirmed coronavirus cases that have so far killed 83 people. California has more than 1,100 confirmed cases and 23 deaths. Oregon has confirmed 114 cases of coronavirus and three people have died.

— Everton Bailey Jr.

(tl;dr)  About 3 weeks ago I registered with the Oregon Health Authority for email updates after the first covid case was diagnosed here.  A few days later when we were still at about 4-6 cases after the Vets in that nursing home got diagnosed down in the valley, I got an OHA email about a conference call with the press you could dial into to listen.  I joined the conference which had a panel of several state level medical officials and other govt policy types.  The 15-20min briefing was calm and reassuring and went on about the great length efforts that would be made to ensure the greatest protection and care would be provided to our cherished elderly Vets.  Then on the call they said you could enter a code on your phone to ask a question. 

I got patched in after hitting the buttons as the first question for the panel.  I identified myself and after acknowledging the effort to care for our nursing home elderly, I asked "considering this has a case doubling rate of 4 days with exponential spread, and that two weeks ago Italy was tranquil, and that right now our neighbors in Washington are under fire as I speak, what aggressive steps are are you considering to prevent spread such as social distancing or school closures when every day matters?"  The moderator then asks, "what news outlet are you with? Oh, this is only for press reporters *click*."  I stayed on to listen and there was a looong pause.  The reporters were freaked and the whole discourse in the room shifted.  The next day Gov. Kate Brown and some same panelists did a live webstream from PSU with a very different message speaking to urgency and laying out anticipated soon to be defined measures, making particular note of the predicament facing "our neighbors in Washington."  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

(tl;dr)  About 3 weeks ago I registered with the Oregon Health Authority for email updates after the first covid case was diagnosed here.  A few days later when we were still at about 4-6 cases after the Vets in that nursing home got diagnosed down in the valley, I got an OHA email about a conference call with the press you could dial into to listen.  I joined the conference which had a panel of several state level medical officials and other govt policy types.  The 15-20min briefing was calm and reassuring and went on about the great length efforts that would be made to ensure the greatest protection and care would be provided to our cherished elderly Vets.  Then on the call they said you could enter a code on your phone to ask a question. 

I got patched in after hitting the buttons as the first question for the panel.  I identified myself and after acknowledging the effort to care for our nursing home elderly, I asked "considering this has a case doubling rate of 4 days with exponential spread, and that two weeks ago Italy was tranquil, and that right now our neighbors in Washington are under fire as I speak, what aggressive steps are are you considering to prevent spread such as social distancing or school closures when every day matters?"  The moderator then asks, "what news outlet are you with? Oh, this is only for press reporters *click*."  I stayed on to listen and there was a looong pause.  The reporters were freaked and the whole discourse in the room shifted.  The next day Gov. Kate Brown and some same panelists did a live webstream from PSU with a very different message speaking to urgency and laying out anticipated soon to be defined measures, making particular note of the predicament facing "our neighbors in Washington."  

i had a conversation with a credit card millenial customer service rep the other day.  i asked her "given the fed has lowered the discount rate to 0% and the witholding percentages have been waved, your employer can borrow at zero percent to infinity, what talk tracks has your employer given you to justify 19% interest in the current environment?"

her answer was the most tortured gobbledygook i've ever heard.  she sound like the swedish chef.

tl/dr: the outside world doesn't know how to deal with us.

corrollary: act like a dumbshit, and they'll treat you like an equal.  praise bob.

MiCo’s good and right down the street from my house. Would go to Mia’s over MiCo every day of the week. Dallas doesn’t have an El Rancho (Matt’s in Lakewood is merely ok) or an El Tiempo, but MiCo gets a bad wrap but supposed Tex-Mex enthusiasts (of which I am one). 

Word salad, Rex. Be best.

46 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Pence staffer has it.    It’s getting around Washington  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20/politics/staffer-vice-president-office-coronavirus/index.html

and Pence was palling around with Trump, Fauci, Pompeo, and the rest at the podium at today's press conference. It's as if they had never heard of the 6 foot rule!

I just dont get it.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

What is China’s investment in Harvard?  

15 minutes ago, yoladu said:

and Pence was palling around with Trump, Fauci, Pompeo, and the rest at the podium at today's press conference. It's as if they had never heard of the 6 foot rule!

I just dont get it.

zoinks, they must have the vaccine.

Edited by brakeman

31 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

What is China’s investment in Harvard?  

The Chinahuan is not the issue dude 

Edited by Lobo

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away