Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this.  President says we may need to quarantine the place that has 35-40% of the problem thus far, where the governor is saying we need more help, and his people are leaving the city in droves, likely infecting others(especially if they are driving long distances) and the knee jerk response is no way that doesn't make sense.  Actually it makes perfect sense...if quarantining and not moving is the answer everyone is screaming about.

the interesting thing is NYC/Long Island actually is one of the places you could actually really quarantine pretty well.

Closer to 50%?. It’s the most logical option as NYC now = Wuhan and it’s a  slow motion replay of the infection spreading from a hot spot/source. 

Shut it down now for the sake of the rest of the country. 

19 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Closer to 50%?. It’s the most logical option as NYC now = Wuhan and it’s a  slow motion replay of the infection spreading from a hot spot/source. 

Shut it down now for the sake of the rest of the country. 

won't happen because Cuomo doesn't want his city to be the one that gets quarantined.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Exactly. I could see them allowing restaurants to reopen, but at half capacity. Bars are tougher, but if strictly enforced half capacity for some, maybe less. I think retail would start back up, but maybe limit numbers of customers inside at one time. On gyms, allow them to open up but reduce capacity. 

Of course, if there is a viable treatment plan to prevents cases from becoming serious or critical as well as mass testing (preferably rapid results testing and at home antibody tests), then perhaps things can go back to normal quicker.

That last paragraph is key.  Schmucks like me have no chance in hell getting antibody testing but JH, NW and BSW have reached out to Henry Schein to get antibody tests in bulk.  That company was approved just last week and is about to churn em out in bulk.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this.  President says we may need to quarantine the place that has 35-40% of the problem thus far, where the governor is saying we need more help, and his people are leaving the city in droves, likely infecting others(especially if they are driving long distances) and the knee jerk response is no way that doesn't make sense.  Actually it makes perfect sense...if quarantining and not moving is the answer everyone is screaming about.

the interesting thing is NYC/Long Island actually is one of the places you could actually really quarantine pretty well.

It is too late for a quarantine  of NYC to matter much. Every state has a significant number of infections at this point. Quarantining NY from the rest of the country isn't going to prevent spread from the infections already present. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So I had a surreal first hand experience with the scary direction of where this could head, yesterday. My kids were playing in the front of our Galveston house and I look out at them and see four cop vehicles in front of my house. No one is down here hardly at all, so I’m like “WTF is going on?”. 

I go outside and the cops, keeping their distance, are talking to the kids and then see me and the first one up says “Sir, we’re going to have to ask you and your family to pack up and vacate the premises within the next 30 minutes. We’re here to ensure that you do that.”

”First, I’m going to need you to step off my property. “

”Sir”. 

“Step off of my driveway right fucking now, please.” 

Cops back up into the street. 

“Now what is going on?”

”An ordinance was passed last night that requires all short term renters to leave the city and county immediately.”

(I’m infuriated) “Well, that’s not happening. I own this property outright and have for years.”

”Sir, calm down.”

”You’ve shown up to my house to threaten to forcibly remove me in front of my little kids.  Don’t tell me to calm down.”

”The city marshal sent us out here, we’re just doing our jobs. “

”Well and good but you’ve got bad information. We live here.”

”How often do you live here?”

”That is none of your business and a further invasion of my privacy. The hell with it, here is my drivers license. Why don’t y’all call this in and get this shit straight.”

They then do that and apologize profusely and leave. They acted like I had a rattlesnake when I walked towards them to hand them my license. 

Apparently, a busybody Karen down the street who lives here permanently decided that we were renters and needed to be tattled on. We’ve filed complaints regarding this bullshit to the POA and sent an email directly to the marshal himself asking for an explanation of what fucking evidence he thought he had to do something like that and literally said in the email, “pandemic or not, this isn’t nazi Germany and we have rights as private citizens. “ Fucking bullshit. 

Meanwhile, hotels and RV parks remained fucking open until enough complaints went in last night and now they’re closing all of those. 

I also saw a fucking story from KHOU today showing people how they can anonymously rat on businesses for being open that they think shouldn’t be. If this is where we’re headed, people won’t tolerate it en masse more sooner than later and we’ll throw the whole premise of sheltering in place out the window and take our fucking chances. I’d rather die heaving on a hospital floor than live under a police state where the next door neighbor can have you thrown in jail on a whim. 

Sorry for the rant. 

Ah so the Spanish Inquisition finally made it to Galveston.

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It is too late for a quarantine  of NYC to matter much. Every state has a significant number of infections at this point. Quarantining NY from the rest of the country isn't going to prevent spread from the infections already present. 

thats completely illogical.  they have 40% of the cases and deaths.  I thought the whole point was limiting peoples movement as much as possible is the way to stop the spread.  you are letting people leave a known hot zone and likely the hottest zone we have.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Show your work. Half of the infection contained in a relatively small geographical area compared to the rest of the country. 

How exactly would this NOT buy the rest of the country and healthcare system to catch up and prepare?  Also allows us to focus what resources we do have on the worst infected area. What evidence are you using for your conclusions?  We do have a small amount of evidence that quarantine is a somewhat effective measure to slow the virus. See China closing Wuhan and then not having all other major population centers mimicking Wuhan. (If we are to believe some of the numbers from other major regions in China -not Wuhan). 

It’s really the ONLY option right now 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So I had a surreal first hand experience with the scary direction of where this could head, yesterday. My kids were playing in the front of our Galveston house and I look out at them and see four cop vehicles in front of my house. No one is down here hardly at all, so I’m like “WTF is going on?”. 

I go outside and the cops, keeping their distance, are talking to the kids and then see me and the first one up says “Sir, we’re going to have to ask you and your family to pack up and vacate the premises within the next 30 minutes. We’re here to ensure that you do that.”

”Sir”. 

“Now what is going on?”

”An ordinance was passed last night that requires all short term renters to leave the city and county immediately.”

(I’m infuriated) “Well, that’s not happening. I own this property outright and have for years.”

”Sir, calm down.”

”You’ve shown up to my house to threaten to forcibly remove me in front of my little kids.  Don’t tell me to calm down.”

”That is none of your business and a further invasion of my privacy. The hell with it, here is my drivers license. Why don’t y’all call this in and get this shit straight.”

They then do that and apologize profusely and leave. They acted like I had a rattlesnake when I walked towards them to hand them my license. 

Apparently, a busybody Karen down the street who lives here permanently decided that we were renters and needed to be tattled on. We’ve filed complaints regarding this bullshit to the POA and sent an email directly to the marshal himself asking for an explanation of what fucking evidence he thought he had to do something like that and literally said in the email, “pandemic or not, this isn’t nazi Germany and we have rights as private citizens. “ Fucking bullshit. 

Meanwhile, hotels and RV parks remained fucking open until enough complaints went in last night and now they’re closing all of those. 

I also saw a fucking story from KHOU today showing people how they can anonymously rat on businesses for being open that they think shouldn’t be. If this is where we’re headed, people won’t tolerate it en masse more sooner than later and we’ll throw the whole premise of sheltering in place out the window and take our fucking chances. I’d rather die heaving on a hospital floor than live under a police state where the next door neighbor can have you thrown in jail on a whim. 

Sorry for the rant. 

So, what you’re telling me is that you have an unlimited amount of free time for the foreseeable future and a busybody neighbor who is begging to be fucked with.  Keep us updated.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

”Sir”. 

“Now what is going on?”

”Sir, calm down.”

Sorry for the rant. 

This story is not entirely accurate. The community uprising was a result of Texas fans learning of CTJ’s whereabouts and this was seen flying over his house.

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

”Sir”. 

“Now what is going on?”

”Sir, calm down.”

Sorry for the rant. 

and people wonder why we are trying to keep the populace(of which MANY are fucking stupid) from totally freaking out.

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s a little ridiculous to say “half the infection” is in NYC. It’s the only place testing in large numbers, so of course it seems that way. This virus is everywhere already. 

fair enough.  we are just using numbers provided.  so what do you think the death rate is?

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

”Sir”. 

“Now what is going on?”

”Sir, calm down.”

Sorry for the rant. 

Username checks out

14 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

So, what you’re telling me is that you have an unlimited amount of free time for the foreseeable future and a busybody neighbor who is begging to be fucked with.  Keep us updated.

This guy fucks.

Mix equal parts CTJ, Karen, unlimited time and spite.  Thus is our next Tiger King to amuse us through the end of quarantine.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

thats completely illogical.  they have 40% of the cases and deaths.  I thought the whole point was limiting peoples movement as much as possible is the way to stop the spread.  you are letting people leave a known hot zone and likely the hottest zone we have.

Too many have already fled to make much difference.

1 minute ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Too many have already fled to make much difference.

how would you know this? is it just a feeling.  they are getting increasing positive tests every day. they have millions of people in the city.   every day matters, remember?  we need to lock down more.  and NY is a known hot spot.

34 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

It doesn't really matter at this point, the virus has spread too far into every state. A quarantine of just NY isn't going to solve anything. Everything needs to be shut down, everywhere. Period. 

Just now, BurntEyes said:

Not to mention CTJ is wound a tad tight. This demands its own documentary.

Just need to find a way to include Greenspoint and his issues.

It can be the competition like that doc for who is the craziest.

Epic 

new show idea "Live CTJ - Galveston style"

• Like 1

Just now, Dahobbs said:

It doesn't really matter at this point, the virus has spread too far into every state. A quarantine of just NY isn't going to solve anything. Everything needs to be shut down, everywhere. Period. 

it absolutely matters.  they have 40% of the cases in their one area only.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

how would you know this? is it just a feeling.  they are getting increasing positive tests every day. they have millions of people in the city.   every day matters, remember?  we need to lock down more.  and NY is a known hot spot.

We have no idea what the real numbers are across America because there is no real testing. All travel, outside of trucking and commercial rail, should have been shutdown last week.

MCKINNEY, Texas — A judge in Collin County is scheduled to hear a case that directly challenges McKinney's shelter-in-place order. 

On Friday, Mayor George Fuller told WFAA he was served with a lawsuit from Derek Baker, a McKinney resident.

Baker alleges that McKinney's emergency order is contradictory to the Collin County order. The mayor says the judge hearing the case informed them that the judge will likely grant the restraining order. 

That means McKinney has to follow Collin County's much less stringent emergency order. 

The county's order says all workers are "essential" but also says if you are in the high-risk groups for infection don't show up to work.

RELATED: Collin County commissioner says residents, not government, should define what’s essential

"I put an order in place that I believe with all my heart is the smart and right thing to do. And now I have a single resident not elected trying to speak for the community that did not put him in office to speak for them," said Fuller.

The McKinney mayor is very disappointed and says the infection data supports everything the city is doing. But Baker tells WFAA that he has nothing against the mayor but does say Fuller broke the law.

"It is arbitrary for the mayor who is and isn't important to go to work. Don't basically fire people with an edict from on high which causes them to basically lose their income and their house," said Baker.

Baker told WFAA that he has received many threatening comments over social media. He says one of the comments was a death threat. 

Meanwhile, if the restraining order is granted on Monday, Fuller says the city fully intends to appeal.

35 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s a little ridiculous to say “half the infection” is in NYC. It’s the only place testing in large numbers, so of course it seems that way. This virus is everywhere already. 

Agreed. One Third Of All Coronavirus Cases Show No Symptoms, Classified China Data Reveals  40000 not even included in known cases.

Most will experience super mild symptoms or asymptomatic. Probably tens of thousands in the us have this and had months ago. 

5 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

Agreed. One Third Of All Coronavirus Cases Show No Symptoms, Classified China Data Reveals  40000 not even included in known cases.

Most will experience super mild symptoms or asymptomatic. Probably tens of thousands in the us have this and had months ago. 

That’s all well and good but I’m paying attention to the hospitalization and death trends. They should be direct correlations to total infected and are still not looking good yet. 

3 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

No. Probably not. Growth rate is too quick for that to be true. You could account for all known cases today be just assuming 1 case in mid January and growing at the observed rate (doubling every 2-4 days). Even if 50% of cases are not identified, you still wouldn't get into those numbers until late February. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

Then why no corresponding hospitalization and death rate until now? 

3 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

We have no idea what the real numbers are across America because there is no real testing. All travel, outside of trucking and commercial rail, should have been shutdown last week.

OK, so why not start with NY and NoLA now and roll it out.

to you point.  you are exactly right.  we have no idea what the real numbers are.  There was no real testing for H1N1 either.  H1N1 had 115K state confirmed cases over  the entirety of 12 months. yet the CDC estimated 4 months April-July there were 80 undercounted cases for every known case. they had 43K confirmed cases which made for 3.2M confirmed cases. we are 2 months in.

lets take half of that, 40 x known cases and you have 4M+ that have it/had it with 2100 deaths.  By the end of H1N1 they had extrapolated 115K state confirmed cases to 60M cases with 12K deaths(also estimated). .02 fatality rate.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Not to mention CTJ is wound a tad tight. This demands its own documentary.

Just need to find a way to include Greenspoint and his issues.

It can be the competition like that doc for who is the craziest.

Epic 

You'd definitely need that crazy cop hater from shaggy.  VAPA?  The guy with the tricked out mitsubishi eclipse?  The whole car was booby trapped on the off chance a cop pulled him over.  I think he's only behind TxTow when it comes to Shaggy/Surly nutters.  Anyways, this would be a great show. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away