CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Look the bottom line is the virus is going to kill a whole lot of people until trump is no longer the president because he don’t give a shit. So while the recent CDC decision on testing is incredibly stupid it ultimately doesn’t matter because trump is still the president and still killing Americans and will until he is no longer the president.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Look the bottom line is the virus is going to kill a whole lot of people until trump is no longer the president because he don’t give a shit. So while the recent CDC decision on testing is incredibly stupid it ultimately doesn’t matter because trump is still the president and still killing Americans and will until he is no longer the president.

What's scarier is that I think he does actually give a shit in so far as he's trying to hide the actual impact of covid-19 to help his re-election chances. Imagine what happens if God forbid he does get reelected and has no reason to care.

That's the nightmare scenario.

12 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

What's scarier is that I think he does actually give a shit in so far as he's trying to hide the actual impact of covid-19 to help his re-election chances. Imagine what happens if God forbid he does get reelected and has no reason to care.

That's the nightmare scenario.

That won’t happen, but if it did, trump would go on killing even more Americans until a vaccine came about.

Then after that he would still kill more Americans because a shit ton of his idiotic base wouldn’t take the vaccine and trump would do next to nothing to stop that.

If trump somehow steals a second term he will kill more Americans than anyone in history. And It won’t be close.

Edited by JimmyJames

52 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

Jim Cramer promoting this is a VERY VERY VERY BAD sign though.

45 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Agree on Cramer, but this is exactly what we need.  Cheap, rapid, easy testing capability. And ABT up 12% after hours. 

Blind pig and all that. 

I'm optimistic that it's a good start. Imagine if we had competent leadership that got the ball rolling earlier.

10 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Imagine if we had competent leadership that got the ball rolling earlier.

Sure, and tie into that the dysfunctional regulatory environment around test production in this country compared to the approaches of countries like S. Korea. 

On 8/3/2020 at 1:57 PM, MC Fresh Breath said:

Yeah, they wanted blue state people (only) to get sick and die.  And if blue state (only) had hurt businesses, impacted economies, e.t.c., well even better.  Sociopath (and yet again, should be absolutely criminal in any sane period of time) behavior from morons.

So hopefully Laura wipes out Louisiana.  Fair is fair after all.   If they didn't give a fuck about tens of thousands dying in NY and NJ, why should I give a fuck about assholes in LA dying?  Congrats, GOP, you have broken the union!

1 hour ago, Nope said:

What 

Pro-tip: if your apartment smells like sewage, you should definitely have that addressed, regardless if we are in a pandemic. 

The gases in a waste system are isolated from interior spaces by water traps.  For your toilet, that's the water in the bowl itself.  For your sink, that's your J-trap.  If those dry out from disuse, there is no longer a trap and gases can leak into the interior spaces.  That's why it's good to pour a glass of water in your floor drain in your basement every once in a while. 

Also, the sewage gases are vented through the roof.  If those roof vents are too close to an intake on HVAC equipment, that can be bad as well. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn has ousted his top spokesperson after only two weeks on the job, following unhappiness with the agency's communications strategy. The move sets up a potential fight with the White House, according to four individuals with knowledge of the decision.

"Effectively immediately, Emily Miller will no longer serve the FDA as the assistant commissioner for media affairs and will no longer be the official spokesperson for the agency," Hahn wrote in an email to senior leaders on Friday that was shared with POLITICO. "I will appoint someone to an acting role in that position in the interim."

Advertisement

Hahn officially removed Miller, a fellow Trump appointee, from her post on Friday morning, ending a tenure that was marked by infighting and a damaging controversy this week over the FDA's emergency authorization of convalescent plasma as a Covid-19 treatment.

It's unclear whether Miller will leave the administration altogether or be reassigned elsewhere, although FDA moved swiftly to remove her name and photo from the agency's Twitter account. Two individuals cautioned that Hahn's decision still awaits sign-off from the White House personnel office, which helped hire Miller in consultation with Michael Caputo, the top HHS spokesperson and longtime Republican political operative.

POLITICO first reported Miller's hiring on Aug. 18. HHS and FDA did not immediately respond to request for comment.

Federal health officials soured on Miller within days of her hiring, with her short tenure marked by repeated clashes over the agency’s communications approach.

The FDA had also faced growing criticism over its hiring of Miller, a former reporter for far-right One America News who has no science or medical background, has worked in Republican politics and is known for her extensive writings on gun rights advocacy. The agency’s top communications role is traditionally filled by a career civil servant, and the job opening was initially listed as a role for career civil servants in April before being taken down.

Miller was instead brought on as a political appointee, a decision that disappointed career FDA officials and raised further questions about the agency’s ability to withstand White House political pressure. One of FDA's first communications rollouts during her tenure was the agency's emergency authorization of convalescent plasma, with the press release — billing it as "Another Achievement in Administration’s Fight Against Pandemic" — a breach of FDA's historic focus on science.

Advertisement

In the wake of the plasma announcement, Miller fiercely defended Hahn’s misstatements, falsely asserting on Twitter that the treatment “has shown to be beneficial for 35% of patients.” Hahn has since apologized for overstating the benefits of the treatment, which has not been proven effective.

Miller’s ouster came one day after HHS officials canceled the contract of Wayne Pines, a consultant to Hahn who had advised him to walk back his inaccurate claims about convalescent plasma, said a person with direct knowledge of the matter. Hahn’s late-night mea culpa angered health department officials, and after discovering Pines had aided that decision, they began the process of severing his contract, the person said.

The cancellation of Pines' contract was “not routine,” said the person with direct knowledge of the matter, refuting HHS' claims to reporters that Pines was cut loose as part of a broader review.

But HHS' chief of staff, who canceled the contract, said that Pines' departure was unrelated to this week's communications turbulence.

"I learned more about what Wayne Pines had been doing after the contract was canceled," said Harrison, who said he had no prior knowledge of Pines' guidance to Hahn, and that he moved to swiftly cancel Pines' contract on Thursday when he was first briefed on it. "We don't countenance contracts like this," Harrison added, pointing to HHS' history of canceling outside communications contracts.

The communications shake-up comes as current and former officials are fretting that recent actions and personnel moves have harmed the agency's nonpartisan reputation. Hahn has made repeated appearances with President Donald Trump — and has avoided correcting the president's misleading or false statements about coronavirus and the agency's regulatory role.

Meanwhile, Miller's hire alarmed longtime FDA hands, who believed that her reputation on gun-rights advocacy clashed with the agency's public health mission.

"The damage that has been done will take at least 10 years to repair," a former FDA spokesperson told POLITICO.

5 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Welp.

My daughter has a cough and a fever and Auburn is covered up with Covid sooooo.......

She’s getting tested this afternoon.

I’m so tired.

Have a kid in similar situation. Tested positive. Had symptoms before but is now fine.

This is just a grand experiment by our government and the schools. Most will be fine. Some possibly won’t. We shall see. 

47 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

She got tested late this afternoon but they told her she’ll have results in three business days.

Which is frankly fucking unacceptable given the ridiculous jump in cases since school started.

The positive rate amongst students since the start of classes at Auburn is 28%!!

The city won’t mandate that the bars close down - even Tuscaloosa did that.

But Tuscaloosa has a Democratic mayor and Auburn has a Trumpkin, so........

Her temperature at the clinic was lower than what she was getting on her thermometer at home and she says she feels okay except for a headache, cough, and fatigue. I bought her a pulse oximeter and her sats are 99, so I feel a little bit better.

The entire thing is a shitshow and it doesn’t help that many parents are hooting and hollering about the rules being too strict and they are foaming at the mouth about campus possibly getting shut down.

Actual parents are encouraging their kids - and telling other parents to encourage their kids - to NOT get tested and not report symptoms because they don’t want the number of cases to get higher and give the university cause to tighten restrictions or consider going completely online.

I broke my personal rule about not engaging with morons on Facebook when one woman said “following the science shouldn’t suppress someone’s individual opinions” and another compared Covid to car accidents and some nonsense about “we let our kids drive even though they have a greater chance of a car accident than getting Covid so the kids shouldn’t be forced to wear masks and miss out on parties”.

Everyone is going with the narrative of “College kids are dumb - what did everyone expect?”. While there is some truth in that, when you look at how actual adults are behaving and read the stupid shit the parents of said college kids post on the internet, I’m loathe to expect more from dumb college kids when the supposed adults are acting more dumb than the dumb college kids are.

Seriously. I’m just so tired.

It's insane for a government to expect it's adult citizens to properly police themselves in a pandemic much less the kids. A large percentage of people are absolute idiots who can't properly handle any deviation from normal spoiled life. Most of them can't even handle that when things are normal. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

“following the science shouldn’t suppress someone’s individual opinions”

Actually, that's kind of the whole point of science. Maybe tell her the science says she shouldn't drink bleach to protect her from the virus but not to let that stand in her way. 

It doesn't help that Trump's own spokeswoman said, "We won't let science stand in the way of reopening the schools." Seriously, is there anything more Republican than that? Their war on science marches ever onward.

Did I say marches? It's more like blitzkrieg at this point. 

• Like 1

@Bama Chick I am sorry about your daughter, I hope she recovers quickly, COVID or whatever the illness.

As for the Facebook, it does seem to be populated with right wing stubborn wrong-headedness in greater numbers than ever. Following that woman's logic, we would never have put humans on the moon. The party that espouses so-called 'merit-based' achievement is anything but that when it comes to supporting opinions with facts. Sadly, it is the members of the cult who will place modern scientists under house arrest like Galileo Galilei after he supported Copernicus' model of the universe. If everyone's opinion is 'right,' then the Babylon the preachers rail against is here brought about by their own hands. Alas, Babylon!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I've posted about my in laws on here on several occasions; they are lost; there's just no other way to put it.  But something from yesterday showed me just how far gone they are.

Mom has had a rough summer, and was diagnosed with ALS yesterday.  My sister put up a brief post on Facebook about our mom, did not mention ALS, simply a generic asking for prayers.  Within a few hours, there were over a 100 replies from childhood friends, friends of mine, etc.  Noticeably absent was my in-laws, who live on Facebook, and especially for my MIL, deem herself as very religious.

I found this odd, for I've seen her with a hair-trigger response for prayers in similar posts over the years.  I suspected something, so I looked at all of my sister's friend list.  No mention of either in-law.

Then it occurred to me; they aren't following my sister any longer (and perhaps my mom as well) due to all of mask-wearing, social distancing, etc posts that my sister has posted for months now.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

When he gets close to them his aim is to be intentionally provocative and show he doesn't respect their concerns. Godly man, my ass. Apparently it's difficult to find burnt orange Longhorn gear in Alaska.

Edited by zzzz

12 minutes ago, zzzz said:

When he gets close to them his aim is to be intentionally provocative and show he doesn't respect their concerns. Godly man, my ass. Apparently it's difficult to find burnt orange Longhorn gear in Alaska.

This is where I have a distinct advantage. I work in hospitals where there is still quite a bit of Covid. When I encounter a dumbfuck who won’t wear a mask, I take mine off, get up close, and let them know. Haven’t had one yet not back down

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2