CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Had an uncle that was diagnosed with early and very treatable throat cancer in early middle age. Not a tobacco user.  Decided that he would forego treatment and go with God's will.

He found out. That was twenty years ago and I am more angry today than ever that he put my aunt and the rest of his family through that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Be better than this. I'm not saying don't be right wing, that's your perogative. But don't say something far out there, get called on it, then pivot and deflect. You know as well as I do that everyone here dragged Newsom for what he did. You also damned fuckin well know that three mayors being hypocrites doesn't even scratch the surface of the cultural damage that the GOPs denial and barrage of anti science has created.

I don't think you're a bad poster and I think you try to at least be up in it and expose yourself to other ideas which is a good trait. Don't turn into a purely intellectual dishonest *launches a grenade of stupid bullshit then runs away or changes the subject* guy.

Think about what you're posting. You know your assertion that Adler and Newsom breaking protocol did more damage than the GOP did was bad. I don't know why you started down that road.

I know this board often dogpiles if you back off of a position, which is toxic. But sometimes it's okay to do if you know your point was dumb.

I like you, but I'm not even understanding what the actual hell is going on now. We're all in agreement that people should be safe, and people should go to work. We're just arguing over nothing now, since we agree.

Edited by workswithseed

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I pretty much agree, but i think the same should be said for anyone who knowingly supports the democrat party, and their presidential candidates of the ladt 30 years. They’re all shitbags just like Trump, IMO.

The modern Democratic Party has never embraced and enacted a governmental policy that killed over 350,000 Americans in 10 months (and would’ve killed many more than that if everyone had actually done what the GOP wanted). To continue bothsidesing at the end of 2020 isn’t being neutral, it means you’ve picked a side but you’re too embarrassed to admit it.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I pretty much agree, but i think the same should be said for anyone who knowingly supports the democrat party, and their presidential candidates of the ladt 30 years. They’re all shitbags just like Trump, IMO.

A pretty good argument can be made that if literally any candidate other than trump had won in 2016 that 250k fewer people would be dead right now. You and your wife are still at significant risk of being added to that count. If that doesn’t infuriate you then I honestly don’t understand how your brain works. Trump is in a shitbag category never before seen in this country

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

I like you, but I'm not even understanding what the actual hell is going on now. We're all in agreement that people should be safe, and people should go to work. We're just arguing over nothing now, since we agree.

My point is just that equivocating what Newsom and Adler (morons) did with 9 months of the GOP basically telling their base that it's not a big deal, masks don't work, and that it's just the flu was a bad point that you made.

I get why you're defensive at times, but you made a bad point then kept throwing good money after bad.

All good. We are all in the same boat hoping this shit ends sooner than later.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

A pretty good argument can be made that if literally any candidate other than trump had won in 2016 that 250k fewer people would be dead right now. You and your wife are still at significant risk of being added to that count. If that doesn’t infuriate you then I honestly don’t understand how your brain works. Trump is in a shitbag category never before seen in this country

I understand exactly who and what Trump is and never supported him. Said so when I used to post on political forums, and even said he’d be a one-termer. But I also understand what incompetence is. 
Nobody conspired to kill hundreds of thousands of Americans, not even Cuomo with his incompetence. That is just partisan hyperbole.

There have been shitbags nominated by the democrat party who were just more devious in covering up their shittiness. Trump just never covered it up because he revels in his narcissism.

Yeah. I'm fine with brat's statement, leaving Trump out. I don't see a ton of difference between Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, Romney, Kerry, Gore, McCain etc. They're all corporatists, none of whom even gave a token effort to push back on the war machine or the oligarchy.

But those people don't equivocate to Trump. Not even close. Even conservative types like Brat know that deep down, but it's easier to rationalize the shame away than confront what happened and why it happened.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Nobody conspired to kill hundreds of thousands of Americans

This is just not true. I don’t give enough of a fuck to rehash all of the statements and actions from Trump and from folks in his administration that directly led us to where we are, but not only were they orders of magnitude more damaging than Cuomo sending covid patients to nursing homes, they were done deliberately and with malice aforethought when those dumbfucks thought the spread would only affect blue cities and states  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

They weren't listening to Republicans until way later. There must be a reason why that is, if you think that's what is happening. You're being too idealogical to even see that to be the case. People laugh at idiots and don't listen to them, people despise uppity elitist who say one thing and do the other, and don't listen to them either.

Tapa quote problems aside, why did you bring up Gavin? What was the reason you did this? What are you trying to get at?

Cause, it was very recent, and then you get the spike afterwards. I'm saying this probably had a part of why people most likely said fuck it.

Maybe. It definitely didn't help. I'd probably be looking more in the direction of holidays and seasonality though, as basically the entire country is spiking hard right now. The entire country has Covid fatigue. Our leaders, including shitbags like Adler and Newsom, need to do a better job encouraging people to stay the course with masks and distancing. Especially on the national level. But I guess throwing a tantrum over not being a winner is more important.

Just now, Nivek said:

Based on what? Correlation is not causality.

No, but I'm gonna take a big hunch that it probably made a lot of people pissed, and they were already tired of being locked down. If you see your leader do the opposite of what they said, it makes a great reason to get out for the holidays.

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

That guy is another dumbfuck who is learning the hard way.

It’s like these folks are trying to one up each other on who has more faith in God. God gives us the ability to exercise free will and use common sense. This is something that I think we can all agree is lacking when you keep reading stories like this almost a year into this pandemic. Doctors and scientists can have a belief in a higher power and still use their skill from their field of knowledge to help protect us. I really feel for some of these folks who refuse to embrace science while partaking in some odd show of faith that is leading to many more deaths from this.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Maybe. It definitely didn't help. I'd probably be looking more in the direction of holidays and seasonality though, as basically the entire country is spiking hard right now. The entire country has Covid fatigue. Our leaders, including shitbags like Adler and Newsom, need to do a better job encouraging people to stay the course with masks and distancing. Especially on the national level. But I guess throwing a tantrum over not being a winner is more important.

Selfishness is the reason for the massive spike. We are a country that loves to tell the rest of the world how ruggedly independent we are. Now would be a great time to be more like South Korea or really even a kindergarten class level of getting along as a country to stop the spread of COVID.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Why is it a cesspool? You made a statement about how D/R politicians are similar, but when challenged you agree that some of the antics by the R’s was poor form. Were you expecting the centrists and leftists on here to then offer up an exchange and admit we have problems? We do. If that makes you feel better.

But back to your statement earlier about protestors and rioters. Several rioters were found to be right wing nut jobs, as were the counter protestors. And think about what the message was; we need police reform and we need to let America and the world know that black lives are no less valuable. Something I believe you believe (pardon my shitty syntax). So one group went out there, in a pandemic, to protest the murder of people by law enforcement, and they risked their lives to save lives. The other group went out there to cause mayhem during a pandemic.

Most of us are willing to agree that many politicians are terrible. Where we differ is on how we support shitty politicians. R’s revel in their horrible behavior and wear it like a badge of honor. D’s take down their own.

Trump dismantled the pandemic team on the ground that could have helped early on. Hillary would have never done that. Hillary would have never called it a hoax. She knew how government operated and all evidence is there that she could have distributed supplies/aid coherently rather than it become 50 states, some islands, and a Federal government competition for resources. Let’s not even get into the discussion of the secret police and mail fraud committed by the leadership.

I think maybe you call it a cesspool because you simply cannot admit to anyone that your team has fumble fucked this whole situation and that you cannot defend it, so you would rather take your ball and go home.

3loawm.gif

Yeah. I'm fine with brat's statement, leaving Trump out. I don't see a ton of difference between Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, Romney, Kerry, Gore, McCain etc. They're all corporatists, none of whom even gave a token effort to push back on the war machine or the oligarchy.

But those people don't equivocate to Trump. Not even close. Even conservative types like Brat know that deep down, but it's easier to rationalize the shame away than confront what happened and why it happened.
Except now they're trying to equate the Dan Crenshaws and Devin Nuneses with the AOCs and the Katie Porters. It's bullshit.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

No, but I'm gonna take a big hunch that it probably made a lot of people pissed, and they were already tired of being locked down. If you see your leader do the opposite of what they said, it makes a great reason to get out for the holidays.

I saw my idiot President discuss injecting bleach and shining UV light into the body, and most of us did neither.

I cannot really imagine that had much bearing at all.

If my mayor or governor/senators were all caught doing shots off a Tijuana strippers ass, at most, I would be disappointed. I would not say ‘well fuck it, I might as well risk my family’s life now.’
  • Hook 'Em 4

Just putting it out there... so I’m open to learning more. Republican and progressive posters please educate/enlighten me on how Dem/GOP are pretty much the same. I easily admit that I sure as hell don’t know everything regarding major policies from Dem/GOP older than say when W was in office. What happened? Because anecdotally, this is a common refrain I hear from my friends who are or lean Republican. “They’re all the same or they’re both just as bad.”

More than ever I lean Democratic in policies and values... so I’m aware I have some blind spots and biases. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I saw my idiot President discuss injecting bleach and shining UV light into the body, and most of us did neither.

I cannot really imagine that had much bearing at all.

If my mayor or governor/senators were all caught doing shots off a Tijuana strippers ass, at most, I would be disappointed. I would not say ‘well fuck it, I might as well risk my family’s life now.’

Then why the big jump? If people were doing good till now then why now? Why give up at the end of the year, when they new what could happen?

7 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I saw my idiot President discuss injecting bleach and shining UV light into the body, and most of us did neither. I cannot really imagine that had much bearing at all. If my mayor or governor/senators were all caught doing shots off a Tijuana strippers ass, at most, I would be disappointed. I would not say ‘well fuck it, I might as well risk my family’s life now.’

This would make for interesting research... social cognitive theory and its impact on Republicans, Democrats, and Independents broken down by the usual segments of race, gender, ethnicity, and age. Because it sure seems like it only takes a few bad “modeling” from Democrats for the general population to integrate into their own beliefs/attitudes and suddenly behave a certain way, but someone they’re immune when witnessing such behaviors modeled by Republicans. 

Edited by YChang

Just putting it out there... so I’m open to learning more. Republican and progressive posters please educate/enlighten me on how Dem/GOP are pretty much the same. I easily admit that I sure as hell don’t know everything regarding major policies from Dem/GOP older than say when W was in office. What happened? Because anecdotally, this is a common refrain I hear from my friends who are or lean Republican. “They’re all the same or they’re both just as bad.”
More than ever I lean Democratic in policies and values... so I’m aware I have some blind spots and biases. 
They both take money from the ultra- wealthy. They both try to stick around for decades. They both leave office with more money than they entered office with. They both try not to rock the boat too much (supposedly because they're beholden to their ultra-rich benefactors). That last one isn't entirely fair considering that one side does try to take baby steps forward, but is limited by the other side that seems to function solely to obstruct.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

God damn you are one dumb motherfucker.

Multiple spikes have occurred, most correlating with national holidays, and Gavin Newsom had jack shit to do with any of them.

2 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Hey, do you want people to live or not? You're coming up with the stupid argument that "essential" workers shouldn't be working. Hell, you haven't said shit of what to do with them. Tell me, should people be at work, or not? If not, then how do you feed people? 

I literally am working part time as an in store shopper to pay my mortgage while I’m in flight school right now. I’m having to sell my house in 2 months most likely because of reduced hours and a roommate moving out for the same reason. Just because you can’t take the time to critically think about an argument doesn’t mean you get to flail around with incoherent rants with very real and permanent outcomes.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, StassneyHorn said:

I literally am working part time as an in store shopper to pay my mortgage while I’m in flight school right now. I’m having to sell my house in 2 months most likely because of reduced hours and a roommate moving out for the same reason. Just because you can’t take the time to critically think about an argument doesn’t mean you get to flail around with incoherent rants with very real and permanent outcomes.

You still never answered.

Your dumb fucking question that you implied I asked about essential workers? No I didn’t, because I never asked it, but even addressed it when I said 

Just because you can’t take the time to critically think about an argument doesn’t mean you get to flail around with incoherent rants with very real and permanent outcomes

20 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Your dumb fucking question that you implied I asked about essential workers? No I didn’t, because I never asked it, but even addressed it when I said 

Just because you can’t take the time to critically think about an argument doesn’t mean you get to flail around with incoherent rants with very real and permanent outcomes

3 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

What about the people they spread it to? Why are you always so short sighted? 

What the hell is this then? 

34 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

What the hell is this then? 

It’s you showing a lack of any kind of critical thinking.

Timeline of events

1. young people aren’t affected -you

2. young people are affected, my personal story of a friend. Those young people still infect others-me

3. Do you not want people to make a living? Don’t let infected people go to work- you

4. Asymptomatic folks?-me

5.asinine statement from you about do I want essential workers to live? I rebut that I’m literally in grocery stores as often as I can be to make my mortgage. You accuse me of saying essential workers shouldn’t work and ask how people will eat.

6. You are a North Texas dropout and Denton trash.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Geezus, I can’t believe I’m swimming in this cr cesspool again. Out.

Why is it when people come in here with their pro republican BS they can't ever name any legislation that Republicans have enacted over the last 20 years that has benefited them? They also can't name specific legislation that democrats enacted that harmed them. All while many of them and/or their families are direct beneficiaries of democrat legislation like social security, medicare, medicaid, CHIP, and Affordable Care Act. Specifically, in the last 20 years what republican legislation has helped anyone other than the rich and republican politicians? Hell how many have helped anyone other than the rich and privileged whites since Ike with the disability insurance 64 years ago? 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1