CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

5 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Don’t really have a problem with this but I’m not sure why we need to prohibit it either. We don’t have the infrastructure in place to do it properly, we don’t have the will to do it properly, and I’m not sure it would ever work in the U.S. basically it’s a waste of money.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Bojack said:

Fozzz, back when you were Fozzz, I suggested that you start a thread called "The Fozzz Manifesto" which would help people to understand just what the fuck point you're trying to make with some of what you post.  You post this kind of thing without the context of your own opinion on the matter.  This is largely why people are so hostile to you in CR, Fozzz.  

Anti-mandate protests around the world seems relevant to the thread, yes? Bad Sign just posted a tweet of a protest & you aren't on his ass. And I'm not Fozz, mods can do an IP check. He was before my time bc I don't remember his posts.

• Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, lmao said:

Anti-mandate protests around the world seems relevant to the thread, yes? Bad Sign just posted a tweet of a protest & you aren't on his ass. And I'm not Fozz, mods can do an IP check. He was before my time bc I don't remember his posts.

Yet he posted his thoughts about the protests. Unlike you, he gave his post context. Just randomly posting about a covid protest in Germany is just weird. What is your point? 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Yet he posted his thoughts about the protests. Unlike you, he gave his post context. Just randomly posting about a covid protest in Germany is just weird. What is your point? 

I get it, you want me to pick a side. Pro-vaccine & anti-passport. Also supported and marched in the BLM protests during lockdown in SoCal. 

• Fuck You 1

What? It’s for science. 

https://scitechdaily.com/the-next-treatment-for-covid-19-could-already-be-at-your-local-pharmacy/amp/

The team validated the 17 candidate compounds in several types of cells, including stem-cell derived human lung cells in an effort to mimic SARS-CoV2 infection of the respiratory tract. Nine showed anti-viral activity at reasonable doses, including lactoferrin, a protein found in human breastmilk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

What? It’s for science. 

https://scitechdaily.com/the-next-treatment-for-covid-19-could-already-be-at-your-local-pharmacy/amp/

The team validated the 17 candidate compounds in several types of cells, including stem-cell derived human lung cells in an effort to mimic SARS-CoV2 infection of the respiratory tract. Nine showed anti-viral activity at reasonable doses, including lactoferrin, a protein found in human breastmilk

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

Yeah. Ha. Ha.

Any other time, it might be a chuckle but not this week, Ana, it's just not fucking funny this week.

I can appreciate the good news of therapeutics, but damn y'all let us know when you want to send us women to the glue factory or for organ donation when we're done breeding.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Yeah. Ha. Ha.
Any other time, it might be a chuckle but not this week, Ana, it's just not fucking funny this week.

I can appreciate the good news of therapeutics, but damn y'all let us know when you want to send us women to the glue factory or for organ donation when we're done breeding.

I mean….I don’t think we have a LOT of GQP fanboys on this thread, so….that maybe doesn’t include most of us?

We can both dig women AND believe that lawmakers should leave them the hell alone? But…can see how this week may have y’all a bit on edge and pissed. Medieval retrograde bullshit will do that.

9 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I don't think that you need to worry too much.  The processing line at the glue factory is going to be backed up for a while.  Apparently there is an overflow of dead horses that could not get their worm treatments and need processing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, lmao said:

I get it, you want me to pick a side. Pro-vaccine & anti-passport. Also supported and marched in the BLM protests during lockdown in SoCal. 

So the context would be you agree with the anti-vaccine passport protests and wanted to show that others in the world agree with you. Was that so hard? 

I found this article to be helpful to assist in understanding where we are today and how to decide upon the necessity for boosters.

Is it Delta or waning immunity?

The summer Covid-19 breakthrough surge explained.

Jeremy Faust (ER Physician, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medicine)

Is the surge in breakthrough coronavirus cases in the United States a result of the Delta variant or is it due to waning immunity as vaccine recipients get further in time from their initial doses? The conventional wisdom says that it is a lot of both. I now believe that's wrong.

I have spent weeks obsessed with this question. I did not want to speak out on it until I had a better sense of the answer. I finally feel confident enough to put my chips down.

It is now clear to me that the surge in breakthrough Covid-19 cases in the United States is almost entirely a result of the Delta variant, and not an indication of waning immunity. Yes, measured antibody levels in vaccine recipients are now lower than they were right after vaccination. But that does not necessarily have clinical meaning, nor is it unexpected. By analogy, someone standing in three feet of water is not “nearly drowning” just because that person was previously standing in two feet of water; nor are they necessarily destined to soon be standing in eight feet of water.

The fact that the breakthrough surge is driven by Delta has important implications on whether to boost, whom to boost, when to boost, and with what vaccine formulation.

•••

Why do I feel confident that the surge in breakthrough cases is due primarily (though not completely) to the Delta variant? The data are buried in a handful of scientific papers recently circulated in the peer-review and preprint literature. Once excavated, the body of evidence is compelling.

First, we can use the fact that we implemented a phased vaccine rollout to gain a key insight. Remember the phased rollout? Though perhaps a distant memory, back in January, only seniors and healthcare workers were eligible for vaccines. Then, as the winter progressed and spring arrived, ever-younger groups of people became eligible. That means if waning immunity were the problem, we would see breakthrough cases, breakthrough hospitalizations, and breakthrough deaths grow in a specific and predictable sequence: the order in which the phased vaccine rollout occurred. We would expect to see breakthrough cases in the oldest people (who mounted lower antibody levels to begin with) and in healthcare workers first. Next, we’d see more breakthrough cases in middle-aged adults. Finally, we would see increases among the last group to become eligible for vaccination this spring, younger adults and teens.

That’s not what happened. Instead, the data from New York show that breakthrough cases rose in all age groups at the same time and right as Delta took over in the region. The absence of an age-specific sequence—in which older people succumbed first—virtually eliminates the waning immunity theory as the driver of the breakthrough surge. If anything, it appears that breakthrough infections increased among the younger population somewhat before older adults. Another very recent study that includes data from 13 states reports that breakthrough hospitalizations rose in all age groups simultaneously, both this spring and this summer. That makes no sense if this is all just waning immunity.

•••

Another important observation is that the rise in breakthrough Covid-19 cases in the United States tracked tightly with the rise of Delta’s dominance over other SARS-CoV-2 variants. That’s highly suspicious, but only circumstantial evidence; that alone would not be enough to close the case. After all, what if Delta sprang onto the scene just as our antibody levels happened to be waning, giving that variant a plentiful and ever-growing supply of newly at-risk targets to infect?

The argument against that possibility is that breakthrough infections started to occur in regions where Delta showed up first, rather than in areas that had earlier vaccine rollouts, whose populations would certainly be expected to show the first signs of waning immunity (first immune, first to have immunity fade). If breakthrough infections were mainly driven by waning immunity, we would have initially noticed more breakthrough infections in areas that vaccinated the most people early, such as in the northeast. That is simply not what happened between January and April, when breakthrough cases were first noted.

By July, the first month in which Delta represented a majority of infections in every major region in the United States, it was clear that more breakthrough cases were occurring in places that combined two undesirable ingredients: low rates of vaccination and towering Delta dominance. Places like Utah and Missouri—both of which had vaccination rates under 50% among adults and where Delta represented 85% and 93% of all cases respectively in July—had a small but noticeable fraction of breakthrough cases (that is, among new Covid-19 cases, the percent that occurred among vaccinated people remained small, but was notably greater than in other states for which we had data). On the other hand, states including Connecticut, Massachusetts, Delaware, and Virginia had far fewer breakthrough cases. These are precisely the states with the highest vaccination rates, over 60% among adults by July, and where Delta was comparatively less dominant at the time, at 54% (Massachusetts and Connecticut) and 57% (Delaware and Virginia).

Two interesting states to notice during July were Nebraska and New Jersey. Nebraska had relatively few breakthrough cases despite Delta dominance in the region (93%; The CDC bundles Nebraska into the same subregion of the country as Missouri). But Nebraska had a rather high vaccination rate, with over 60% of its adults fully vaccinated by then. New Jersey also had a relatively small number of breakthrough infections in July, despite a relative Delta takeover in the region (then accounting for approximately 70% of all cases). But New Jersey’s vaccination rate among adults had surpassed 70% by late July, among the highest in the nation.

The message is clear. If your goal was to avoid breakthrough hospitalization this summer, you wanted to be in a region with high rates of vaccination and lower Delta prevalence. It did not matter whether antibody levels in your community were waning or not.

•••

What does this mean for boosters? Taken together, these data suggest that the effectiveness of the vaccines should no longer be compared to how they performed in the clinical trials or during the first few weeks of a rollout. We just need to know more about their sustained performance during the Delta era. Because hospitals are not being overrun by breakthrough infections, we genuinely have the time to study whether a Delta-specific booster might perform better than either the original two-dose series, or better than a 3rd dose of the original vaccine. We have time to learn whether half or full doses of these boosters would provide all the protection we need but with fewer adverse events that could convert vaccine-hesitant people who have received zero doses into firm “No’s.”

With these vaccines, we have built a mighty wall against Covid-19. That wall is a bit leakier in the face of Delta. How best to fix the problem is an important question that urgently requires answers. But we are not being flooded by vaccinated breakthrough cases. We have enough time to gather the information we need to act smartly and achieve the best systemic outcomes that take all of these considerations into account. We don’t need to scramble and throw up another wall without the right safety checks in place. That’s how people get hurt.

•••

References and further reading:

Breakthrough cases reflected the rates of vaccination by age. They did not happen among the oldest people first (i.e. those who were vaccinated first): https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7021e3.htm

Antibody levels were higher in younger people and a bit lower in older people early after vaccination: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-021-00947-3

Data from New York following breakthrough hospitalizations and infections during the pre-Delta and early Delta periods: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7034e1.htm

Data from 13 states on breakthrough infections during 2021. Rates of breakthrough infection hospitalization changed in all age groups simultaneously both in the spring and summer (Green line, figure 3A and 3B): https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.27.21262356v1.full.pdf

The CDC’s variant tracker, by region: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#variant-proportions.

Recent breakthrough Covid-19 data by state: https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/covid-19-vaccine-breakthrough-cases-data-from-the-states/

Special thanks to Dr. Jonathan Graf and Dr. Angela Rasmussen for helpful conversations about this topic.

https://insidemedicine.bulletin.com/537599687311876/

• Hook 'Em 4

Counterpoint:  my right-wing fucknuts friends are all now harping on the idea that we've been dealing with delta for a year or more, and all of this is just mainstream media scare tactics.

I guess Tucker or Buck or one of the merry band of dipshits put that out the other day, because it's the cause du jour.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Counterpoint:  my right-wing fucknuts friends are all now harping on the idea that we've been dealing with delta for a year or more, and all of this is just mainstream media scare tactics.

I guess Tucker or Buck or one of the merry band of dipshits put that out the other day, because it's the cause du jour.

we've been dealing with covid for 

18 months.

Edited by brakeman
#fafo