CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

11 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Not actually what was meant, my intent was to point out it will be harder for those advocating for vax, t persuade if other side can say "See it's not foolproof"...

Yeah I usually fold pocket Aces since they lose 20% of the time.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I can't imagine what this looks like for B/CS. 

I "did my own research",  and this is the situation as near as I can tell. Local K-12  schools have been open for two weeks w/o masks. Hospitals in the trauma region are running with zero ICU beds available, and A&M started classes this last Monday. According to the schedule, the game is at night and I think they run shuttles for parking on game days, so those will be a nice wheeled contagion unit transporting back and forth. No idea what the overall vaccination rate is for students nor for fans driving in from elsewhere, but the local health authority has the county at 48% vaccinated. They also noted in the local paper a male in his 20s died of COVID. Didn't see any info about other health issues, but he was a student at Blinn College.

With a night game, folks will either wait and drive in that afternoon, or arrive early and spend the day around campus/town. Either way, going to be interdasting with the holiday being a part of it as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Curious what the vaccination rate would be at the stadium considering how many are coming in from outside Travis Co.  

I can't imagine what this looks like for B/CS.  

But Trump said heat is this thing's enemy, right?  

Heading to the fourth quarter, everyone will drop their pants and bend over and let the sun’s rays shine on their buttholes to protect them 

• Drool 1

12 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Don’t get Surly started on BMI.

12 hours ago, lmao said:

Lol. Love the "it doesn't account for muscle mass & athletic people" argument. It's like bro your fat ass isn't an athlete & you workout for one week after New Years. 

most depressing thread on surly.

one dude on there spent $1,400 in a single month at cfa.  utterly insane.  whenever there is the occasional "health" thread on surly where the fatasses on here all talk about how they are going to try and not be fat and stuff, i always crack up at posts from folks like @Bozo_Casanova and the like saying "eat at home," "eat vegetables," "cut carbs like bread," "eat fruit and yogurt for dessert," etc... as if they are somehow profound things that every idiot on the planet doesn't know.  i think to myself are there really people that eat fast food every day?  how the hell can they poison the shit out of their bodies like that?  i mean, love burgers, fried chicken, fries, and shit but if i had it more than once a week or two, i wouldn't want to know what my body felt like.

well that thread illuminated to me what a fucking naive dumbass i am.

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

"eat at home," "eat vegetables," "cut carbs like bread," "eat fruit and yogurt for dessert," etc... as if they are somehow profound things that every idiot on the planet doesn't know.  i think to myself are there really people that eat fast food every day?  how the hell can they poison the shit out of their bodies like that?  i mean, love burgers, fried chicken, fries, and shit but if i had it more than once a week or two, i wouldn't want to know what my body felt like.

I used to eat shitty food almost every other day because I was working in a country-fried county and was too lazy to pack a sandwich. The last year and a half, though, we went back to childhood routines of just cooking everything at home and doing really fancy exercises like maybe walking a mile. Have lost 20 pounds since the virus first came to town.

Was back in the country working again last week, got some country-ass food like a chicken biscuit. Went around the rest of the day feeling ill like Zoolander when he thinks he has black lung.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Watching the Ohio state-Minnesota game and it’s weird to see a full stadium and zero masks. Are we just resigned to the idea of letting delta burn through the unvaxxed population and kill a fuck ton of them off?

As someone who was at the New Brickhouse last night, and one the very few that was wearing a mask at any point during the proceedings, I didn't like it at all.  It also probably didn't help that it was the first time in 18 months that we'd been in a confined space with a LOT of people. Also, there are usually a fair number of kids at Gopher sporting events. Last night there were none.

The pandemic has been in something of a steady state the last two weeks in MN, but it's bad out in the Dakotas and their problems seem to be leaking to the east.  

7 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

As someone who was at the New Brickhouse last night, and one the very few that was wearing a mask at any point during the proceedings, I didn't like it at all.  It also probably didn't help that it was the first time in 18 months that we'd been in a confined space with a LOT of people. Also, there are usually a fair number of kids at Gopher sporting events. Last night there were none.

The pandemic has been in something of a steady state the last two weeks in MN, but it's bad out in the Dakotas and their problems seem to be leaking to the east.  

Yeah, I saw some masks. Not a lot. Definitely none among the students. Does UM have a vaccination requirement for students returning to campus?

Sorry to see Ibrahim get hurt. That totally sucks. He’s a baller. Row the Boat and Ski-U-Mah, brother. 

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

I just saw this for the first time.

Anti-vaxxer:  YOU CANT TRUST BIG PHARMA!!!  THEY JUST CARE ABOUT PROFITS, EARNINGS REPORTS AND STOCK VALUE!!  IVE DONE THE RESEARCH!!! TAKE THE HORSE DEWORMER INSTEAD!!!

Big-pharma horse dewormer manufacturer:  Even though it will depress sales and reduce our profits, please, for the love of God, from one human to another, stop ingesting our horse dewormer.  It can make you very sick.  It might even kill you.

Anti-Vaxxer:  LA-LA-LA!  I CANT HEAR YOUR LIES!!! 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

Did you conclude from something I posted that I would be ok with that scenario?

I said it already happens in Texas (denial of medical services/care) based on politics.  You then quipped something about me being high as a retort.   

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

I said it already happens in Texas (denial of medical services/care) based on politics.  You then quipped something about me being high as a retort.   

I never said it doesn’t happen. I said you don’t do that. Meaning no one in medicine should do that. Unless I got elected supreme dictator without my knowledge, I can’t force any of these assholes to do what I want. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Looks like a little mini outbreak of MERS happening in Saudi Arabia right now.  (side note: I thought that using localizing information to name infectious disease was racist?  Maybe not.)

What would be really fun is if a coinfection of MERS and delta SARS-2 resulted in a novel coronavirus with the transmissibility of delta and the morality rate of MERS (~30-35%).  Sleep well.    

• Rage+1 4

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Looks like a little mini outbreak of MERS happening in Saudi Arabia right now.  (side note: I thought that using localizing information to name infectious disease was racist?  Maybe not.)

What would be really fun is if a coinfection of MERS and delta SARS-2 resulted in a novel coronavirus with the transmissibility of delta and the morality rate of MERS (~30-35%).  Sleep well.    

What kind of dewormer do Arabian horses use?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

This is a pretty good site for latest data on cases and death trends in Texas counties.  Doesn't get in to vaccination rates.

https://247wallst.com/tracking-coronavirus-in-texas/?utm_source=newsbreak&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=newsbreak&utm_content=tracking-coronavirus-in-texas&wsrlui=t9454741

Here's the article I found this link in:

This is the City in Texas Where COVID-19 is Growing the Fastest

By Evan Comen
Posted by 

24/7 Wall St.24/7 Wall St.

1 day ago

https://img.particlenews.com/image.php?url=1WPNis_0bkNNSxg00The U.S. has reported more than 38.6 million confirmed COVID-19 cases as of August 30. There have been more than 632,000 reported deaths from COVID-19-related causes -- the highest death toll of any country.

The extent of the spread of the novel coronavirus continues to vary considerably from state to state, and from city to city. Even as the number of daily new cases is flattening or even declining in some parts of the country, it is surging at a growing rate in others.

Nationwide, the number of new cases is growing at an increasing rate. There were an average of 49.9 daily new coronavirus cases per 100,000 Americans in the week ending August 30, an increase from the week prior, when there were an average of 40.5 daily new coronavirus cases per 100,000 people.

In Texas, there were an average of 61.4 daily new coronavirus cases per 100,000 residents in the week ending August 30 -- the 13th most of all 50 states. Texas’s most recent case growth is an increase from the week prior, when there were an average of 54.2 daily new cases per 100,000 residents.

Metropolitan areas with a high degree of mobility and a large population may be particularly vulnerable to outbreaks. While science and medical professionals are still studying how exactly the virus spreads, experts agree that outbreaks are more likely to occur in group settings where large numbers of people routinely have close contact with one another. Cities with high concentrations of dense spaces such as colleges, correctional facilities, and nursing homes are particularly at risk.

In the San Angelo metropolitan area, there were an average of 155.0 daily new coronavirus cases per 100,000 residents in the week ending August 30 -- the fastest case growth of any city in Texas. The metro area’s most recent case growth rate is an increase from the week prior, when there were an average of 78.0 daily new cases per 100,000 residents.

Corpus Christi, the city where COVID-19 is growing the second fastest, has reported an average of 133.7 new daily cases per 100,000 residents.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, the San Angelo metropolitan area has reported a cumulative total of 21,175 confirmed cases, or 17,947.0 per 100,000 residents. By comparison, there are currently 12,248.3 cases per 100,000 Texas residents and 11,779.8 cases per 100,000 Americans nationwide.

In order to slow the spread, cities have ordered the closure of thousands of consumer-facing businesses. These measures have led to widespread job loss and record unemployment. In San Angelo, unemployment peaked at 11.1% in April 2020. As of May 2021, the unemployment rate was 5.8%.

To determine the metropolitan area in each state where COVID-19 is growing the fastest, 24/7 Wall St. compiled and reviewed data from state and local health departments. We ranked metropolitan areas according to the average number of new daily COVID-19 cases per 100,000 residents in the seven days ending August 30. Data was aggregated from the county level to the metropolitan area level using boundary definitions from the U.S. Census Bureau. Population data used to adjust case and death totals came from the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2019 American Community Survey and are five-year estimates. Unemployment data is from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and is seasonally adjusted.

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0bkNNSxg?share_id=eyJ1c2VyaWQiOjMwODg4NTkyLCJkb2NfaWQiOiIwYmtOTlN4ZyIsInRpbWVzdGFtcCI6MTYzMDY5Mjg1NDkyN30=&s=a3&pd=025bX65z&hl=en_US

34 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Wait, are you saying MERS has a morality rate of 30-35%?   Does that mean they find Jesus?   Because that could be a good thing for some people.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I like to think of myself as roughly 30-35% moral, so this hits close to home.

• Hook 'Em 1

People can be the worst, example #37,287

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Anti-mask-Cole-Elementary-san-antonio-16434181.php

Parents expressed concern online after an anti-mask group made its way on to the grounds of a Northside ISD school. 

MySA obtained an email sent to Bennie L. Cole Elementary School parents this morning saying a group of people protesting the district's mask requirements Friday morning. 

The email says the anti-mask group confronted the school principal Tod Kuenning and "caused a scene" that forced NISD police to intervene and ask the group to leave. No arrests were made at the time. 

Local police were eventually called to intervene, and they successfully got the crowds to disperse without making any arrests.

Nonetheless, Perez told MySanAntonio that the school has requested a police presence to be on campus throughout the next week should the anti-maskers return.

Spoiler

A lockdown was not put in place at the time because the anti-mask group was there as students arrived to school around 7:30 a.m. Perez says that one student was confronted by crowd. 

"One student did go and report to the counselor that individuals had yelled to him that he needed to take his mask off," Perez says. "He went to the counselors because he was upset."

Northside ISD's board of trustees approved a temporary mask mandate on August 17, and continue to enforce despite the Texas Supreme Court's ruling. 

A photo sent by a parent shows the anti-mask group standing on the school grounds holding signs, some of them kneeling. 

The email says that some of the people were not parents of Cole Elementary students, and should not have been on the school grounds.

"Rest assured that we will investigate this incident and address these individuals to the fullest extent of the law," the email says. 

A police presence remained on campus throughout the day, according to the email. Perez says that police will continue to have a presence on campus into next week. 

rawImage.png

• Rage+1 1

People can be the worst, example #37,287

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Anti-mask-Cole-Elementary-san-antonio-16434181.php

Parents expressed concern online after an anti-mask group made its way on to the grounds of a Northside ISD school. 
MySA obtained an email sent to Bennie L. Cole Elementary School parents this morning saying a group of people protesting the district's mask requirements Friday morning. 
The email says the anti-mask group confronted the school principal Tod Kuenning and "caused a scene" that forced NISD police to intervene and ask the group to leave. No arrests were made at the time. 

Local police were eventually called to intervene, and they successfully got the crowds to disperse without making any arrests.
Nonetheless, Perez told MySanAntonio that the school has requested a police presence to be on campus throughout the next week should the anti-maskers return.

Spoiler

A lockdown was not put in place at the time because the anti-mask group was there as students arrived to school around 7:30 a.m. Perez says that one student was confronted by crowd. 
"One student did go and report to the counselor that individuals had yelled to him that he needed to take his mask off," Perez says. "He went to the counselors because he was upset."
Northside ISD's board of trustees approved a temporary mask mandate on August 17, and continue to enforce despite the Texas Supreme Court's ruling. 
A photo sent by a parent shows the anti-mask group standing on the school grounds holding signs, some of them kneeling. 
The email says that some of the people were not parents of Cole Elementary students, and should not have been on the school grounds.
"Rest assured that we will investigate this incident and address these individuals to the fullest extent of the law," the email says. 
A police presence remained on campus throughout the day, according to the email. Perez says that police will continue to have a presence on campus into next week. 

rawImage.png

You mistyped “example infinity.”