Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

On 9/27/2019 at 3:38 PM, MrPhlegm said:

if we play aggy again in football it should be at a neutral site like say Rice Stadium.

Fuck that ..... we already lose a home game every other year playing OU in Dallas.

And fuck aggy too....they are the ones that left the conference.

As far as I am concerned they are the ones that killed the series and not us.

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Fuck that ..... we already lose a home game every other year playing OU in Dallas.

You are correct.

Chinga los putos.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BornOrange1955 said:

While I believe Delo$$ Dodds misplayed his hand badly, the ags done mucked up when they left for the SEC. They can chant SEC all they want, but they are just as much an afterthought now as they've always been. UT gave them just as much (more IMO) legitimacy as the SEC does.

These are the teams that are historically worse than aggy in the SEC

Vandy, MSU, Ole Miss, Mizzou, USCe, Kentucky -  every other team is historically better(yes Ark/Tenn are dumpster fires now but MSU is better)

they went from very possibly being 3rd in a 12 team conf to 7th in a 14 team conf and 4 of the historically worse teams play in the opposite division.

they just didn't want to be in Daddy's shadow anymore...CDC needs to respect their 100year decision.

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

this is what is funny.  whenever they bring up that we killed the series I ask them "why did your muppet president call it a 100 year decision?"  we didn't announce a decision you did.  The conversation ends pretty quickly.   I also add that "I hope your administration didn't make a 100 year decision on the fact that Texas was being mean, that sounds like a lousy way to run an organization."

On 9/27/2019 at 1:27 PM, Bottlecap said:

The best flex for UT would be to renew the yearly rivalry with Arkansas and take one of their "rivalries" right from under them. Its like a 2 for 1. Get to troll aggy and restart a traditional rivalry with an opponent we can dominate every game. Also SECSECSEC.

You don't want to do that because Arkansas might actually want that rivalry back.

A&M doesn't so we are free to make a big public show of pushing for it.

9 hours ago, dcar00 said:

These are the teams that are historically worse than aggy in the SEC

Vandy, MSU, Ole Miss, Mizzou, USCe, Kentucky -  every other team is historically better(yes Ark/Tenn are dumpster fires now but MSU is better)

they went from very possibly being 3rd in a 12 team conf to 7th in a 14 team conf and 4 of the historically worse teams play in the opposite division.

they just didn't want to be in Daddy's shadow anymore...CDC needs to respect their 100year decision.

And 3 of the historically worst teams play in the same division.

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Correct. And during the realignment when UT was in discussions about moving to the PAC, Dodds was including aggy in the package. Texas was not running away from little retarded brother.

The fact we were looking out for A&M was spun to show how arrogant and evil Texas is.

This quote from a WVU player explains why CDC must make sure that TEXAS always only wears traditional uniforms... 🤘

“It’s Texas,” West Virginia linebacker Shea Campbell said. “I think everybody, whether or not you like them or not, everybody has a bit of respect for them. Everybody knows the burnt orange, you see the color and that’s the only team you think of.”

• Like 5

While I believe Delo$$ Dodds misplayed his hand badly, the ags done mucked up when they left for the SEC. They can chant SEC all they want, but they are just as much an afterthought now as they've always been. UT gave them just as much (more IMO) legitimacy as the SEC does.
aggy is totally lost in the shuffle in the sec. they had something to look forward to on thanksgiving no matter how shitty their season was in the past.
hunnert year decision, ya stupid sips. our great grandchildren will rue the day that aggy left us in the dust.
dee27f2231103533c900409a60c49ac4.gif
  • Like 1

if we play aggy again in football it should be at a neutral site like say Rice Stadium.
RICE STADIUM!

49b28b05d3c7e959a8d04c16d1f761ba.gifc50a05f7b7c6eaa370cf6279c2cae2cf.gif

RICE STADIUM!

do you really think aggy will agree to ever play in Rice Stadium ever again after the humilations that have been inflicted on them there by Rice and The M.O.B.?

They LOST HALFTIME in Rice Stadium. MOB has whistles and had ftab stumbling around more incoherently than usual. ftab had to quit its "precision marching" "performance" mid show because of the whistles.

then there was The Siege Of South Main when M.O.B. humiliated aggy with the how much is that doggie in the window show complete with invisible dogs on leashes and the mob making a fire hydrant. That pissed aggy off and then Rice won the game.
aggy morons laid siege to Rice Stadium in an attemp to lynch the m.o.b.

as with most aggy battles it was not sucessful because the m.o.b. escaped in bread trucks.

aggy will NEVER agree to play in Rice Stadium ever again.

There is no question about that to anyone with a brain. 
You are correct.
Chinga los putos.
this is what is funny.  whenever they bring up that we killed the series I ask them "why did your muppet president call it a 100 year decision?"  we didn't announce a decision you did.  The conversation ends pretty quickly.   I also add that "I hope your administration didn't make a 100 year decision on the fact that Texas was being mean, that sounds like a lousy way to run an organization."
woooooosh

play aggy ever again? HELL NO!

troll aggy unmercifully? HELL YES!

d0127b9015d1a40f4b077e15bfd57a66.gif
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Chopper said:

aggy would get lost and terminally confused at the word "earned"

Nikki...Nikki...they are dead. They cannot receive their "due".

And they did not play any of the national powers anyway. The big national powers were just a level above the Texas schools back then.

• 2 weeks later...

CBS produces a superior televised game. The picture is clearer, the view is closer to the field/players, and the crowd sound is louder, making the whole game seem more exciting. It’s giving the SEC an advantage. Someone tweet to the AD for change.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

CBS produces a superior televised game. The picture is clearer, the view is closer to the field/players, and the crowd sound is louder, making the whole game seem more exciting. It’s giving the SEC an advantage. Someone tweet to the AD for change.

They've been broadcasting sports since the 50s. Fox is an amateur network. I hate being associated with them.

Thx @satyanash

CDC hearing from unhappy donors....

(Eric Nahlin) Herman and Del Conte, Von Mises and Hayek

After the LSU game, I never would have guessed the defense would get worse but that's where we are.

SMH.

This puts our reporting in a tough spot. I'm really tired of covering coaching changes or the potential of them. Doing so in October is especially tough because everyone is in purgatory. There's still a lot of football left, and we're not giving up on the season, but we'd be remiss if we didn't share what we're hearing behind the scenes. To this point, we think it's too early for anything to be decided on coaching changes, but based on what we've heard, we think things are trending in that direction. These early rumblings usually precede an earthquake.

Part of what makes Texas Athletic Director Chris Del Conte great is his accessibility. This helps him excel as a fundraiser, which at Texas, is as important as athletic oversight. The problem, for him, is about 100 of the top donors have his phone number and they constantly bombard him when things are going poorly. They don't even have to go through an assistant. Given how the last two weeks have gone, the donors are quite unhappy especially after shelling out so much money since Del Conte's arrival.

Donations and football are used for the overall mission of the school, not just facilities and the like. This is something I've mentioned in the past that Greg Fenves understands quite well. He's not Bill Powers in that regard. Also mentioned in the past, Del Conte and Herman have a solid working relationship but calling them friends would be a stretch. Further, Herman doesn't have the goodwill capital that Mack Brown had with DeLoss Dodds and Bill Powers. Herman doesn't have the same capital in place with donors that Mack did either.

I think there's plenty of room between Mack Brown's coziness to donors and Charlie Strong's distance, but Herman, perhaps surprisingly, is closer to Strong in his relationship building. Herman sees himself as a football coach, not a glad-handing politician (I don't blame him). That doesn't matter when you're winning, but it does matter when you have back to back embarrassing performances, one to your biggest rival, one to a basketball school that lost to Coastal freaking Carolina. Keep in mind Herman was already feeling pressure from above for the defense's play versus LSU and things have only gotten worse.

Herman clearly has a lot of self-belief in his ability to navigate difficult situations through his own intellect. I'm reminded of a comparison between Ludwig Von Mises and his pupil Friedrich Hayek. The apolitical story goes, if tasked with placing a walking path on a college campus for students to walk to class, Von Mises would rely on his own intelligence to place the path on the optimal route. He was not known to be humble; he had all the answers, after all. Hayek on the other hand, who was known for humility, would place the path where the students were already walking.

Whether it's stubbornly playing a poor option at tight end in 2017 rather than going to 10 personnel (Garrett Gray over Lil'Jordan Humphrey), having an indefensible imbalance with offensive/defensive coaches, or his refusal to kick field goals (sometimes warranted, sometimes not), Herman is telling the world he knows exactly where the path should go.

There's a chance Herman puts that path right down the middle of the Big 12, but some changes are almost certainly needed to do so. Based on what I'm hearing, those changes may take place whether he wants to make them or not.

Edited by LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...

Thx @satyanash

(InsideTexas) Mondays in the Scoopidor: 11/4/19

By: Justin and Eric

I got back in touch with the person who helped the board get a good understanding of who Chris Del Conte is before he was hired. So far that source has been right on the money with the Texas Athletic Director. I wanted to get a sense of how the next month or two might play out. Of course some of that may be contingent on the finish to the season. Is Herman as stubborn as people think? The source mentioned 'how will Tom respond?' as the main question, noting, "most fans are just full of angst. Tom being resistant to change is probably over-played." I'll second that.

On Del Conte's previous relationships: TCU football decision making wasn't necessarily run as a hierarchy because of the strong relationships between Chancellor Victor Boschini Jr., Del Conte, and Gary Patterson. It was more of a collaboration. "It was almost like a married couple but with three." One reason Patterson liked Del Conte so much was because Del Conte took the time to get to know the assistant coaches and always ensured they were taken care of, assuming performance of course.

This sentiment struck a chord when I saw Ra'Shaad Samples' recent tweet. 

Samples wasn't even an assistant coach, just a staffer.

I can also vouch for this part because my buddy coaches at TCU and he and Del Conte would share the weight room before the sun was up. They got to know each other pretty well. That source says Del Conte has a pretty surprising Rolodex of coaching contacts. I asked my main source why that is and he responded, "Del Conte is a networker. He wants to know who you know. He's helped put deals together between schools regarding hospitals and research. He knows a lot of people."

And as we've mentioned, the relationships at Texas are nowhere close to his previous ones:
No the relationship isn't like it was with Patterson, those take time. Success helps too. But Herman is wired differently and it probably will never be like that. The source is pretty sure CDC and Herman are meeting weekly to discuss the state of the program. The term I've heard used that I think best fits is "transactional relationship."

What else is telling about Del Conte: He's a pleaser. He wants things running well. He wants everything to be happy, like Main St. at Disneyland. I thought that was an apropos comparison because of what Del Conte has done with Bevo Blvd.

If changes are made, speculate on how it will go down: It won't be until after the season when Del Conte can assess everything and talk with Herman. If it's deemed changes are necessary, Tom won't have full control. He'll have to make a case for the changes he wants to make and the ones he doesn't. He'll have to make the case for any potential new hires. I'm going to use Tom Herman's press conference to get questions for team sources. I should have another post in the a.m. if not late tonight. So consider this part I of II.

On 10/31/2019 at 8:19 PM, LTtxfan said:

Wonder what CDC is doing about the crap he just saw in Fort Worth Saturday??  Hope he chewed Herman's ass out...

He came and spoke to one of my classes on Thursday and got asked a thinly-veiled question about the decision-making process for hiring/firing coaches. He (rather strongly) opined that the turnover we've seen in the head coach position and the AD's office has been a significant negative factor in recent years. Stressed that stability/continuity were paramount at the point in the program's re-development. Granted, that could just be his "public" opinion, but, for better or worse, I don't see Herman going anywhere within the next two-three years unless things get really bad.

FWIW.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

He came and spoke to one of my classes on Thursday and got asked a thinly-veiled question about the decision-making process for hiring/firing coaches. He (rather strongly) opined that the turnover we've seen in the head coach position and the AD's office has been a significant negative factor in recent years. Stressed that stability/continuity were paramount at the point in the program's re-development. Granted, that could just be his "public" opinion, but, for better or worse, I don't see Herman going anywhere within the next two-three years unless things get really bad.

FWIW.

That could also be read that Herman is a product of that discontinuity and now that we have continuity in the AD, we can rectify that error.