Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

12 hours ago, Born Burnt said:

CDC finally fired up the Twitter this evening, answering questions about a track & field indoor facility, grass football field and burnt orange jerseys. But he's ignored all the ones about the football team's performance. That's obviously the right thing to do. But there's no doubt he's gotten the message. What he does with it...well, I guess we'll see.

I'm curious how any TCU folk think he'll handle our coach.

Got bad news for ya. The only great coach CDC hired at TCU was a TCU alum being pushed out of Pittsburgh. The others were already there. CDC may still do a great job, but it isn't something he has much experience with.

Still, he has lots of respect at TCU.

20 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

I hope our new AD will be really pissed way before our revenue dries up. Unlike patterson/deloss

Thing is, though, our revenue has yet to really dry up.  People may no-show games, but the tix are already paid for, and there has been, to date, just enough optimism, sane or otherwise, to keep ticket sales and donations up.

On 9/4/2018 at 8:26 AM, ClubWhatever said:

CDC probably looking at his Twitter last night going "holy fuck".

He was just on the Horn with Craig Way and he mentioned that he was very active on social media and that Sunday he got a good dose of fan reactions.  He said that he understood the hate and the love for a program and was really worried about apathy.  Made a good point about apathy scaring him more than the other emotions.

14 minutes ago, MOODY said:

Del Conte was just on the Longhorn Weekly with Craig Way and he really convinced me that he cares a lot about this program.  He got me wanting to write a check to the University.  I think this athletics department is in good hands with this guy.

Texas athletics is in great hands with Del Conte.   I've no doubt. 

• Like 1

Just now, tejas60 said:

yeah, well after 9 years of this shit, apathy is warranted.

Well I am still in the hate phase of this relationship, never apathetic yet and that gets me in trouble sometimes with my emotions and message boards.

He is correct though, if I ever get apathetic about Texas football then something is really bad.  Maybe dead or comatose.  Loved what Del Conte said about getting football to be the number one priority in the stadium and not all of the corporate bs that has been going on for years.

On 9/4/2018 at 9:27 AM, FrogFan said:

Got bad news for ya. The only great coach CDC hired at TCU was a TCU alum being pushed out of Pittsburgh. The others were already there. CDC may still do a great job, but it isn't something he has much experience with.

Still, he has lots of respect at TCU.

He’s at a job with a tad bit more pull wouldn’t you say?

2 minutes ago, MOODY said:

Loved what Del Conte said about getting football to be the number one priority in the stadium and not all of the corporate bs that has been going on for years.

This remains my most optimistic aspect of Texas football.  A, the AD wants to win, and win badly.  He won't be patient, especially for someone he had no role in hiring. And B,  Del Conte gives a shit about the fans.  He's phasing out a cemented, Satanic influence that once referred to fans / supporters as "patrons". That's all I need to know about Del Conte wanting to try and make our stadium an environment that is fan friendly, and most importantly, something that resembles a real college football environment.  Versus the Polonsky-led version that resulted in a polluted, ad-ridden, commercial-infested nauseating clusterfuck of a 3-ring circus.

• Like 3

Damn, if I didn’t know better some of you can’t be a day over 16. If you got your man crush up on some bullshit he served up in a interview, pod cast, web post, or any other bullshit. Congratulations, you now know how he landed such a prestigious job as the AD at the university of Texas.

The jury will be out, and he (CDC) will not act on the head football coaches future until which time there is either a scandal (god forbid) or upon the completion of, at the minimum the third full year of the contract. 

Even then, no matter the record. Which unlike some I still believe will be much better then some of our in house prognosticators keep serving up in the other threads. Unless there is a specific coach he has in mind sitting out there that he absolutely must act on or lose, Herman will be easily given years three and probably four.

So as disastrous as the Maryland game was for us. No organization in its right mind takes any action until the final numbers are in. And laugh if you want, but the Big12 ain’t that great. Winning this conference is not the same as others in that you get a second crack at a team that may have beat you earlier. And until we see for ourselves what ou, TCU, WV, actually have when they play us. And not someone else, because the transitive property isn’t applicable. We simply won’t know how just how bad/good we really are. And as long as a conference championship hangs in the balance and is in the conversation. Herman will be fine.

• Like 2

I have more respect for CDC now...

An alum wrote a scathing email to CDC on Wednesday morning, everything from the crap we see on the field to removal of the statues on the mall; Wednesday evening, CDC was on the phone to him. They talked for 30 minutes. Del Conte didn't have to call him, but he did. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mossyhorn said:

I have more respect for CDC now...

An alum wrote a scathing email to CDC on Wednesday morning, everything from the crap we see on the field to removal of the statues on the mall; Wednesday evening, CDC was on the phone to him. They talked for 30 minutes. Del Conte didn't have to call him, but he did. 

He emailed the AD about statues on the mall?

9 hours ago, Hamttx said:

Damn, if I didn’t know better some of you can’t be a day over 16. If you got your man crush up on some bullshit he served up in a interview, pod cast, web post, or any other bullshit. Congratulations, you now know how he landed such a prestigious job as the AD at the university of Texas.

The jury will be out, and he (CDC) will not act on the head football coaches future until which time there is either a scandal (god forbid) or upon the completion of, at the minimum the third full year of the contract. 

Even then, no matter the record. Which unlike some I still believe will be much better then some of our in house prognosticators keep serving up in the other threads. Unless there is a specific coach he has in mind sitting out there that he absolutely must act on or lose, Herman will be easily given years three and probably four.

So as disastrous as the Maryland game was for us. No organization in its right mind takes any action until the final numbers are in. And laugh if you want, but the Big12 ain’t that great. Winning this conference is not the same as others in that you get a second crack at a team that may have beat you earlier. And until we see for ourselves what ou, TCU, WV, actually have when they play us. And not someone else, because the transitive property isn’t applicable. We simply won’t know how just how bad/good we really are. And as long as a conference championship hangs in the balance and is in the conversation. Herman will be fine.

I don't think those who are calling him to leave now are serious or are letting their emotions get the best of them. It takes more than losing to Maryland to be fired after the first game of the season in his second year. Having said that, the "heat," per se,  is officially on for Mensa. He said last season something about not understanding the battered fan syndrome this fan base has but I guarandamtee you he understands it now. The question then becomes whether or not he'll swallow his pride and either admit he was wrong on Beck/ playcalling or just outright take over calling plays without him talking about it publicly. Not sure he'll do either but my hope is the latter. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mossyhorn said:

The point is, they talked about everything...over 30 minutes. He knew CDC was a busy man, but the fact he had that much time to talk meant a lot to him.

What's the donation level needed to get a 30 min call back from the AD?

Oh, and pic's of alum's trophy wife too plz.

17 minutes ago, Mossyhorn said:

The point is, they talked about everything...over 30 minutes. He knew CDC was a busy man, but the fact he had that much time to talk meant a lot to him.

Well shit I'd be pissed too if I donated a 6-7 figure sum for stadium expansion only too see that garbage last Sat.

• Like 1

Don't imagine CDC spends any time on Surly Bevo,  but I think it's interesting the the top 3 threads by number on the 1st page of the football board are:

1.  Tell me about tex A&M

2.  Urban Meyer suspended

3.  Fire Tom Herman

Not sure what that says about our program but pretty sure it's not real positive.  

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I don't think those who are calling him to leave now are serious or are letting their emotions get the best of them. It takes more than losing to Maryland to be fired after the first game of the season in his second year. Having said that, the "heat," per se,  is officially on for Mensa. He said last season something about not understanding the battered fan syndrome this fan base has but I guarandamtee you he understands it now. The question then becomes whether or not he'll swallow his pride and either admit he was wrong on Beck/ playcalling or just outright take over calling plays without him talking about it publicly. Not sure he'll do either but my hope is the latter. 

This is the right answer. All this steam-off-letting is nothing more than letting off steam. We as a collective fan base are pissed because the mistakes this program has made and continues to make are obvious to even casual fans. That doesn't change the fact that he's almost definitely going to get a 3rd year (barring some scandal), but it does reflect the fact that he'd better get this team winning, and soon, or his seat will officially become white hot next season.

• Like 1

I don't think most people have any actual interest in firing Herman now; rather, I think many (most?) on here believe they can see the writing on the wall - that Herman isn't good enough. Once you have concluded this, it makes little sense to keep him around for a third year. 

The question is whether they are correct that Herman is not good enough. To me, there isn't a lot of reason for optimism. He's shown that he does a poor job of selecting/retaining assistants; he's shown that he does a poor job of correcting problems, as the same ones keep happening; he's shown extraordinary inaccuracy in assessing the quality of his players/team; he's shown a stubborn unwillingness to play his best players; he's shown that he is very reluctant to accept blame, to the point that he takes coach-speak bullshit and deflection to almost unprecedented levels (trying too hard, mice and men, etc). And, though the season has just started, losing to the 6th or 7th best team on your schedule does not bode well. These are not the characteristics of great (or even good) coaches.

Again, almost to a man, the elite or very good coaches in the sport showed it by their second season. Herman's second season is likely to be within a game or two of .500, in either direction. Suffice to say that anything better than 7-8 wins at this point would be extremely surprising, and is probably less likely than 5-6. 

Based on all this - the thought of another year, when we all feel like we just saw this movie, is galling. But we will almost certainly get another year, maybe with some cosmetic changes whose impact will probably be marginal. Because, at the end of the day, he's just not a particularly good coach. 

• Like 9

It's not coach speak. I think it's what he actually believes. Can't remember if it was rewind or all access but he was spouting the same shit at halftime of playing too perfect. I understand playing too tight, which they kinda were on defense (except roach who looked like the 280 lbs. player he is in the middle of the field), but fuck perfect. 

4 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I don't think most people have any actual interest in firing Herman now; rather, I think many (most?) on here believe they can see the writing on the wall - that Herman isn't good enough. Once you have concluded this, it makes little sense to keep him around for a third year. 

The question is whether they are correct that Herman is not good enough. To me, there isn't a lot of reason for optimism. He's shown that he does a poor job of selecting/retaining assistants; he's shown that he does a poor job of correcting problems, as the same ones keep happening; he's shown extraordinary inaccuracy in assessing the quality of his players/team; he's shown a stubborn unwillingness to play his best players; he's shown that he is very reluctant to accept blame, to the point that he takes coach-speak bullshit and deflection to almost unprecedented levels (trying too hard, mice and men, etc). And, though the season has just started, losing to the 6th or 7th best team on your schedule does not bode well. These are not the characteristics of great (or even good) coaches.

Again, almost to a man, the elite or very good coaches in the sport showed it by their second season. Herman's second season is likely to be within a game or two of .500, in either direction. Suffice to say that anything better than 7-8 wins at this point would be extremely surprising, and is probably less likely than 5-6. 

Based on all this - the thought of another year, when we all feel like we just saw this movie, is galling. But we will almost certainly get another year, maybe with some cosmetic changes whose impact will probably be marginal. Because, at the end of the day, he's just not a particularly good coach. 

Damn. Someone pin this to the top of the board. Or send it to CDC

4 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Once you have concluded this, it makes little sense to keep him around for a third year

And yet most everyone here, including yourself, is predicting he will get a third year.  As seemingly every hire at a big program does.  So there's a disconnect between what you think makes sense and what AD's/presidents typically think.

5 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What is the power dynamic between AD and head football coach?  I imagine at smaller schools it's just a straight AD is on top HC is below, and the two have a standard boss subordinate relationship.  At bigger schools the HC is making multiples of the AD, so how does that work?

If the HC is winning a lot of football games, and/or has won the MNC at least once, then he has plenty of power.  Mack Brown certainly did.

Our current head coach is not winning a lot of football games, and was not hired by our current AD.  The only power he has right now, is the amount of his contract/buyout.  And all it takes is one billionaire Texas booster to decide he will help the AD eliminate that obstacle.

16 hours ago, Hamttx said:

I doubt anyone is thinking as in an immediate need to do anything pertaining to coach Herman, but just as you see positives in Herman, there are even more pronounced  positives that are seen in Del Conte, placing the program in a good position moving forward...

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

And yet most everyone here, including yourself, is predicting he will get a third year.  As seemingly every hire at a big program does.  So there's a disconnect between what you think makes sense and what AD's/presidents typically think.

Purely financial. The only reason Herman will be around next year is that massive $15M buyout sum.

Some really sound advice posted.  

I know that I went overboard rage after the Maryland loss and I had to reflect deep down after the barrage of neg votes.  Hell yes I am angry we lost and that is hate and not apathy so I have that going for me.  CDC seems like a good man and I think is sincere with putting the fans first.

Guys have a great year and if Texas football doesn't meet your expectations then guess what, you are still alive to see another year.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MOODY said:

Some really sound advice posted.  

I know that I went overboard rage after the Maryland loss and I had to reflect deep down after the barrage of neg votes.  Hell yes I am angry we lost and that is hate and not apathy so I have that going for me.  CDC seems like a good man and I think is sincere with putting the fans first.

Guys have a great year and if Texas football doesn't meet your expectations then guess what, you are still alive to see another year.

User name success

• Like 1

The issue with firing a coach after two years right after firing a coach that got 3 years is the precedent it sets when trying to find the next coach. What coach will want to put their reputation on the line knowing you only have 2 years to get a program righted that has been down for a decade? The university has to show faith in the coach, which requires 3 years. 

Now all of this goes out the window if the team shits the bed and starts off 1-5 and ends up 4-8.

Edited by Big_kat
  • Like 3

Now all of this goes out the window if the team shits the bed and starts off 1-5 and ends up 4-8.

The issue with firing a coach after two years right after firing a coach that got 3 years is the precedent it sets when trying to find the next coach. What coach will want to put their reputation on the line knowing you only have 2 years to get a program righted that has been down for a decade? The university has to show faith in the coach, which requires 3 years. 

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Depends on how we define "righted".  Pundits tell us that fans can't get the pitchforks out after the second year because they should not expect to be competing for the playoffs already.  No serious Texas fan is clearing their calendars the evening of Dec 29.

When:

• you sign a contract for >$5M/yr for five years
  • your performance is evaluated in a very public way on a regular basis
  • you have significantly more resources and talent at your disposal than the majority of your competition
  • you are the head football coach at the University of Texas

you are knowingly accepting accountability to deliver results better and faster than is typical.

Most fans were hesitantly accepting of last years performance considering the recent past performance and the coaching transition.  Aside from the Maryland and Tech games, they won the games they should have and closely competed with ranked USC, OU, and OKST, beat ranked WVU on the road, and won their bowl game. Herman's staff has done well off the field in recruiting, facilities, conditioning, and social media, but those are the raw materials - not the final product you are judged on.

What should fans expect from the second season of a coach who knowingly accepted accountability to deliver results better and faster than is typical?  Demonstrated traction.  The 2018 prediction thread earlier this year clustered around 9-3 or 8-4, which I think would indicate traction.  Extrapolating, that means:

• only allowed one head scratcher game (he's used that up one game into the season)
  • demonstrate consistent competence
    • put away low and midlevel teams by the end of the 3rd quarter
    • minimal player confusion 
    • minimal stupid / irresponsible penalties (already saw issues here at MD)
    • nip the Tim Beck controversy in the bud through on the field execution or separation
    • minimal off the field distractions / disciplinary / academic issues
  • against USC, TCU, OU, WVU:
    • you can get smoked once
    • you are competitive in every other game
    • you win one or two of those competitive games you lost last year

An 8-4 regular season after several years of 6 and 7 wins and getting to play BU, KU, TT, ISU in conference is not asking for the moon from a coach that knowingly accepted accountability to deliver results better and faster than is typical.

If you tell any coach worthy of coaching at this level that they can come to Texas with all of its resources, get paid >$5M/yr, can go 7-6 their first year, and that they will be expected to do a little better than 7-6 in year two, I doubt they would balk at that.

• Like 5