Tell Me About Baylor

Al_4_ISU

• 3 weeks later...

HaHaHaHa😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Dave Aranda reportedly set to call the defense, change coming at offensive coordinator

DOUG SAMUELS     19 HOURS AGO

Earlier today word broke that Dave Aranda was expected to return for another season leading the Baylor program.  After a 3-9 season, staff changes were expected, and multiple reports share that a pair of coordinator changes are set to take place.

Offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes will not return, while Aranda is expected to step in and call the defense moving forward while Matt Powledge remains on staff, per Mike Craven. Powledge served as defensive coordinator and safeties coach last season. 

Powledge was in his first season leading the defense in Waco after he spent the 2022 season as the co-defensive coordinator at Oregon. Before joining the Ducks he was spent two seasons on Aranda's staff as safeties coach and special teams coordinator.

Grimes made an immediate impact upon his addition to the staff in January 2021, making the cut as one of five assistants considered for the Broyles Award as Baylor won the Big 12 along with 12 games in the first season with him leading the charge on offense.

Considered one of the best offensive line coaches in the game, Grimes previously coordinated high powered offenses at BYU, where they finished among the top 15 nationally in a number of key statistics including a top 5 scoring offense his last season in Provo.

This will mark the second season in a row that Aranda will replace a pair of coordinators, as he moved on from defensive coordinator Ron Roberts and special teams coordinator Ronnie Wheat after last season.

Before taking over the Baylor program, Aranda was considered one of the top defensive coordinators in college football with successful stops at Wisconsin and LSU.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess it's slim pickin's for baylor new staff...

Dave Aranda's offensive staff makeover continues in Waco.

ZACH BARNETT      40 MINUTES AGO

Baylor is expected to hire Michigan State offensive line coach/run game coordinator Chris Kapilovic to coach its offensive line, sources told FootballScoop on Tuesday. The Athletic first reported the news.

Dave Aranda is in the process of re-making his offensive staff following a disappointing fourth season as head coach. Offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes is now at Kansas; former O-line coach Eric Mateos is now at Arkansas. 

Former Texas State head coach Jake Spavital left Cal to coordinate the offense, and Toledo quarterback Dequan Finn is reportedly visiting Waco this weekend. Finn was the MAC Player of the Year this fall and accounted for 88 touchdowns during his time as a Rocket.

Kapilovic spent the past four seasons as the run game coordinator and offensive line coach in East Lansing. He was part of a transition following the dismissal of Mel Tucker's staff and the hiring of Jonathan Smith as head coach. 

The former Missouri State tackle has been a college offensive line coach for the past 20-plus years, with stops at Alabama State, Missouri State, Southern Miss, North Carolina, and Colorado.

Baylor finished 92nd nationally in yards per play and tied for 117th in yards per carry en route to a 3-9 season this fall. 

"Quite frankly, we need to make some changes, particularly on the offensive side of the ball," AD Mack Rhoades said in October. "... Obviously right now we're struggling to run the ball and our offense is built for the run to set up the pass, and so that's not obviously working well, particularly when we get into the red zone."

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Guess it's slim pickin's for baylor new staff...

Dave Aranda's offensive staff makeover continues in Waco.

ZACH BARNETT      40 MINUTES AGO

Baylor is expected to hire Michigan State offensive line coach/run game coordinator Chris Kapilovic to coach its offensive line, sources told FootballScoop on Tuesday. The Athletic first reported the news.

Dave Aranda is in the process of re-making his offensive staff following a disappointing fourth season as head coach. Offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes is now at Kansas; former O-line coach Eric Mateos is now at Arkansas. 

Former Texas State head coach Jake Spavital left Cal to coordinate the offense, and Toledo quarterback Dequan Finn is reportedly visiting Waco this weekend. Finn was the MAC Player of the Year this fall and accounted for 88 touchdowns during his time as a Rocket.

Kapilovic spent the past four seasons as the run game coordinator and offensive line coach in East Lansing. He was part of a transition following the dismissal of Mel Tucker's staff and the hiring of Jonathan Smith as head coach. 

The former Missouri State tackle has been a college offensive line coach for the past 20-plus years, with stops at Alabama State, Missouri State, Southern Miss, North Carolina, and Colorado.

Baylor finished 92nd nationally in yards per play and tied for 117th in yards per carry en route to a 3-9 season this fall. 

"Quite frankly, we need to make some changes, particularly on the offensive side of the ball," AD Mack Rhoades said in October. "... Obviously right now we're struggling to run the ball and our offense is built for the run to set up the pass, and so that's not obviously working well, particularly when we get into the red zone."

Ha! Spavital is a complete fraud. Averaged 2.3 wins at Texas State. Good to see that fraud of an institution continue to circle the drain.

I’m ok moving on. Disentangling from Baylor is reason enough to leave this conference. We started playing them because there was a railroad between Waco and Austin, so the game was convenient. That stopped being a good reason almost 100 years ago. 

However, check out their Wikipedia page:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor_Bears_football

They list Texas as a rival, and say the future of the rivalry is uncertain. I don’t think it is uncertain. (Ok, I edited it)

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/14/2023 at 11:38 AM, LTtxfan said:

Screenshot_20231114-113424_kindlephoto-12243375.thumb.png.e3385ee36788be7d99c2cf8d07e43e40.png

A lame branding effort is just what every rivalry needs.

I hope eventually the same idiots who branded this decide "battle", the term they invented, is too violent and make it the Bluebonnet Tussle. Then maybe the Bluebonnet Disagreement.

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Def fraud as a HC but has been a good OC on multiple stops. 

Bang up job at aggy running off a Heisman Trophy winner, among multiple 5️ QBs he ran off 🤣.

On January 3, 2016 Spavital and Texas A&M mutually parted ways, partially due to the Kyler Murray/Kyle Allen quarterback controversy during the 2015 season that saw both highly rated QBs transfer out of A&M the same season

13 hours ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Ha! Spavital is a complete fraud. Averaged 2.3 wins at Texas State. Good to see that fraud of an institution continue to circle the drain.

it's quite obvious that there has been a ton of institutional issues at Texas State over the last decade. i'm not trying to defend the guy, but if you think he was the only issue there...you are wrong

image.png.41f102082d96e3f323bde071c4ced152.png

also he averaged 3.25 wins? 3 + 2 + 4 + 4  = 13 / 4 = 3.25

7 hours ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Bang up job at aggy running off a Heisman Trophy winner, among multiple 5️ QBs he ran off 🤣.

On January 3, 2016 Spavital and Texas A&M mutually parted ways, partially due to the Kyler Murray/Kyle Allen quarterback controversy during the 2015 season that saw both highly rated QBs transfer out of A&M the same season

yeah. if you think Spavital is why those guys left you must be new to CFB. that wasn't a Spav issue, that was a Sumlin issue.

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

yeah. if you think Spavital is why those guys left you must be new to CFB. that wasn't a Spav issue, that was a Sumlin issue.

Sumlin had a strip club in the coach's lounge. Sounds to me like something was wrong with Kyle/Kyler.

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I can’t figure out the 12 win Sugar Bowl season.  Rhule’s not exactly Reddy Killowatt and he was gone for 2 years at that point, so I’m having trouble buying that he baked the cake. But obviously it wasn’t Aranda.  

Can we blame covid?

They had multiple NFL upperclassmen on defense and the DCs in the league hadn't figured out how to defend Grimes' outside zone plus misdirection schemes.  Subsequent years saw both those things fizzle more each year. 

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Forgot Grimes but the above is the shocking part.  I guess it was Rhule. 

Well, Pitre wasn't a starter until Aranda.  Bernard was but flourished under Dave's scheme.  Several other defenders that had at least a cup of coffee in the League on that defense as well.  Not to mention a veteran O-Line and pretty damn good RB's as well.   Clicked.  

in '22, a missed XP in regular time against both BYU and WVU and that crazy ass FG at the end of the TCU game from being 9-3 rather than 6-6.  Last year was just absolutely atrocious.  

15 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

A lame branding effort is just what every rivalry needs.

I hope eventually the same idiots who branded this decide "battle", the term they invented, is too violent and make it the Bluebonnet Tussle. Then maybe the Bluebonnet Disagreement.

It's a compromise name. They couldn't decide between Bluebonnet Sexual Assault or Bluebonnet Coke Bender

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

He'll be there to carry the team through the shit storm after they start 1-3 and Dave gets canned. 2021 was biggest wool over Baylor fans eyes and it couldn't have happened to a more deserving fan base. 

Are you sure 2022 TCU wasn’t more false gold? Dykes won with Gary’s players. He proceeded to crap the bed when those 5th year guys brought up under Gary left, plus he brought Baby Briles in. Dykes probably has one more year off of that NCG run before his welcome runs out. 
I agree with @Trey3216—Baby Briles at TCU and GP at BU is bizarro world stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, nnm said:

Dykes probably has one more year off of that NCG run before his welcome runs out.  I agree with @Trey3216—Baby Briles at TCU and GP at BU is bizarro world stuff. 

As Bobby Burton said earlier today, Gare hates Art Briles.  That feud cuts deep for him.  Add in getting fired by tcu then them bringing in Baby Briles as their OC and Gare seems like he's on a mission to kick tcu's ass

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reported that Aranda just lost 2 assistants to bama:

1) Alabama expected to hire former Baylor assistant coach Chris Kapilovic as new offensive line coach.  Kapilovic was previously hired as Baylor’s offensive line coach on Dec. 12 after spending four seasons at Michigan State.

image.png.38e5f77169c7d2ccc4f978e11a1d204c.png

2) Alabama expected to hire Christian Robinson as OLBs coach after William Inge takes Tennessee job

Screenshot_20240219-192423_kindlephoto-3998804.png.6e0e9e9d96a1812ec0415080c5c85fae.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not that anyone cares, but Baylor isn't having an actual spring game. Aranda announced they will be having a regular practice with no scrimmage, but people can still come and watch. No 11 on 11, just drills. 

This season is going to be brutal if they aren't even organized enough to have a spring game. 

I worked with Drake (in the video) some. He's a Baylor alum and is getting really pissed.

• Haha 3

Two thoughts:

1. M2 conference teams have different challenges. They have to sift through more players (entrants and exiters) and with less staff than P2 programs. Fans should encourage different approaches as they seek something that works. 
2. Not my monkey, not my circus. 

54 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

I worked with Drake (in the video) some. He's a Baylor alum and is getting really pissed.

That's what clickbait has to be.

I love me some CDA but yeah it's probably going to be a 3-9 or 4-8 season if I had to guess and there's no way he survives that again. 

It couldn't have happened to a more deserving fan base. Aranda will get canned 4 games into the season.

IIRC, Kansas canceled their spring game and just had open practice to the public going into David Beaty's 4th season and look how that turned out. Aranda is done.  

On 4/16/2024 at 2:26 PM, Richard Kimball said:

Not that anyone cares, but Baylor isn't having an actual spring game. Aranda announced they will be having a regular practice with no scrimmage, but people can still come and watch. No 11 on 11, just drills. 

This season is going to be brutal if they aren't even organized enough to have a spring game. 

baylor takes the loss for the spring game.  At least they aren't counting it as a win on their schedule like aggy does 😋

• Haha 1

OSU hasn’t had a true “spring game” in years and I’ve hardly noticed. I always think it’s dumb when Bama fills the stadium for a practice and all the middle aged Bubbas rush the field to let an 18 year old to sign their hat. Baylor sucks though for much bigger reasons.

Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2024 at 3:22 PM, SimonBolivar said:

That's what clickbait has to be.

I love me some CDA but yeah it's probably going to be a 3-9 or 4-8 season if I had to guess and there's no way he survives that again. 

Aranda's a nice guy. Here's the problem:

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

OSU hasn’t had a true “spring game” in years and I’ve hardly noticed. I always think it’s dumb when Bama fills the stadium for a practice and all the middle aged Bubbas rush the field to let an 18 year old to sign their hat. Baylor sucks though for much bigger reasons.

The problem on this is that Aranda has been demonstrating he's incapable of managing even the routine aspects of running a program. Spring games are a pain in the ass for coaches, but they're advertising for the program.  But to announce a spring game and then cancel it the week the game's supposed to happen is not good. There are dozens of examples of simple stuff falling through the cracks. (True story) After the 2023 spring game, Aranda said they'd decided on the starting QB, but wanted to talk to them before releasing the name. I asked him how he'd let the press know. He looked at THREE marcom people, turned around and said, "I don't know." That's about as simple as it gets. Send a press release. Announce it on twitter. Whatever.

As far as middle aged guys getting an eighteen year old to sign their hat, pretty sure there are some okie lites that regret not getting Barry Sanders autograph after a spring game. From the spring games I've covered, most of the people getting autographs are fifteen and under. Don't know about Bama and who's getting autographs there. 

Edited by Richard Kimball

On 4/16/2024 at 2:26 PM, Richard Kimball said:

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Aranda was the coach for Baylor’s greatest season ever. They won the conference, won their NY6 bowl game and finished #5 in the AP poll 

(Of course, to beat Texas they needed the official to swallow his whistle on a roughing the punter call)