The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

1 hour ago, Clackles said:

SVJ still the fastest street legal production car lap.  Crazy how much faster these road legal cars are getting after the 918 Spyder record looked like it would last a long time only 5 years ago.  I don’t understand how that ALA wing works, but it sure as shit seems like it works.

Talked to guy who tracked it, and who is a much better driver then myself.  He said ALA is no joke.  Car feels glued in curves and can really stay on gas lot more with all the downforce.  That was ALA on the Huracan Performante.  Pretty incredible how big a dog the original Aventador was on a track compared to this latest iteration.  

Edit:  Oh and good point on it still being the fastest production car.  I'd be surprised if that lasts this calendar year.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

a huayra blew past me in the dark going down the N610 feeder through memorial park, then took off through the park toward downtown.  about the only thing i could see of it were the tail lights.  didn't even know paganis were sold in the US. 

/scsb

Edited by elfenix

This won't compete for Nurburgring times but I'll take it...3bdf34b0-3800-11e9-beed-31e1ec92c625

Spoiler

Any cyclists in the audience who appreciate high-zoot custom bicycle frames will know the name Independent Fabrications. The New Hampshire bike maker has fashioned steel and titanium rigs and wild paint jobs for 24 years. It is little surprise that when the company's owner wanted a custom classic Porsche that could climb up to East Coast pistes in the winter, he went to Emory Motorsports. What resulted is the Allrad, which puts a 1964 356C body over internals from a 1990 964-series Porsche 911 C4S.

The effort took four years to construct. Rod Emory wanted to maintain the suspension hardpoints from the 964, which required cutting and stretching. He shortened the 911's center tunnel to match the wheelbase of the 356C, widened the vintage body's rear haunches to fit the 911's rear track, and inserted adjustable K&W coilover shocks at all four corners.

The Allrad keeps the 1990 five-speed manual transmission. In this application it sends power through differentials with manually-adjustable torque splits. Dials inside can send power fore and aft, and left and right independently. The 964 brakes hide behind custom 16-inch powder-coated wheels wearing Pirelli Ice Zero rubber.

A 356C body drenched in Graphite Blue Metallic also gets a flattened hood without the expected grab handle, a competition fuel filler, a louvered decklid, yellow-tinted headlights and body-colored rally light housings. Up top, a special roof rack holds onto the drip rails with 3D-printed titanium clamps. The Allrad's owner, no stranger to working with titanium, welded the clamps to the rails himself.

A 200-horsepower, 2.4-liter Emory-Rothsport "Outlaw-4" flat-four hangs out back. Dual Weber 48 IDA carbs feed a cast-aluminum block, spent fuel evacuated through custom headers and a stainless steel muffler.

The RS-style driver's seat appears to indicate the Allrad won't be just for show. The passenger sits in a Speedster-style seat, both thrones done in green leather. A removable roll cage and four-point harnesses add safety, the Momo Heritage steering wheel and the Tilton pedal assembly add performance, and the green square-weave carpet and Outlaw shift knob add beauty. The 2,150-pound curb weight adds the perfect lightweight final touch

• Like 3

I've been kicking around different ideas on what to get as another car. A few years back I had bought my Mom a nice little Ford Escape. It's a perfect little car for zipping around town and parking in different garages. But, it's just touch too small. My sister uses a walker and for the walker to fit nicely in back of the Escape we had to put down one seat. And then you are limited in what you can do with people. So I will give the Escape to my nephew who has just graduated from grad school and is waiting to hear if he gets in Air Force officer school.

I was thinking about a used Lincoln MKX, or a Mercedes GLC, something midsize. But something that will easily fit the walker and keep the back seats usable. So yesterday I went over to the Ford dealer to get a new battery for my truck key and decided to take a 2019 Edge out for a spin. I took two, the 2.7L and the 2.0L. I don't really see myself using the 2.7L ST as some sort of sporty car, I have the 911 and the old Buick for big speed.

I just want one to use and move around easily.

So I decided to lease an Edge Titanium. It's pretty nice.

• Like 1

Anyone have any experience with the new MB GLS 450/550?  I know the first edition was a steaming pile of shit but it sounds like they've sorted out their issues and have produced a really nice luxobarge.
No, but I've been looking at them too and have read good things. Mine will be used if we go that route.

Fiat Lancia Dodge Jeep Chrysler ... i mean is there a bigger wretched hive of scum and villainy in the car world? 

i mean theres Alfa which is a reliability wreck and maserati with really aging cars that doesnt even use its own motors

13 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Anyone have any experience with the new MB GLS 450/550?  I know the first edition was a steaming pile of shit but it sounds like they've sorted out their issues and have produced a really nice luxobarge.

Wife had zero issues with her 1st gen. Heard nothing of their being piles of shit. 

24 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
37 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:
Wife had zero issues with her 1st gen. Heard nothing of their being piles of shit. 

What did she like and dislike about it?

She loved everything about it other than the fake leather (MB Tex). Good storage. Third row seating. Drove like a sedan. Her favorite car. So much so that she still regrets trading out of it (other than it was getting old). 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 12:24 PM, elfenix said:

goddamn all you assholes buying crossovers instead of cars, goddamn you all to hell!

pwcdmsjecvjuowtpys0s.png

(won't look just like this but still)

That Jalopnik article was crap.  How do I know?

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/alfa-romeo/106206/new-alfa-romeo-tonale-suv-steals-the-show-at-geneva

20190305_114041.jpg?itok=cwjmslLC 

As an Alfa Romeo Giulia owner, I've enjoyed every bit of it.  Love the driving experience.

BTW, like Stelvio is named after Passo dello Stelvio, a mountain pass in Italy, Tonale is named after Passo Tonale, a mountain pass and ski resort.

My last Mercedes had more problems than my Alfa.  Thanks airmatic!

Edited by texasdago

5 minutes ago, texasdago said:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/alfa-romeo/106206/new-alfa-romeo-tonale-suv-steals-the-show-at-geneva

As an Alfa Romeo Giulia owner, I've enjoyed every bit of it.  Love the driving experience.

BTW, like Stelvio is named after Passo dello Stelvio, a mountain pass in Italy, Tonale is named after Passo Tonale, a mountain pass and ski resort.

The Italian likes Alfa Romeo?  I know I'm surprised.

35 minutes ago, texasdago said:

nothing screams italian driving experience like a fwd tall station wagon.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

The Italian likes Alfa Romeo?  I know I'm surprised.

Sometimes I pull a rabbit out of my hat.  I had two Germans prior to the Alfa... I really enjoy driving it much more.  The infotainment kind of sucks and I wish I could disable the auto-off button but the driving experience is amazing.

4 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Sometimes I pull a rabbit out of my hat.  I had two Germans prior to the Alfa... I really enjoy driving it much more.  The infotainment kind of sucks and I wish I could disable the auto-off button but the driving experience is amazing.

The Guilia QF is a nice car, for sure.  That's probably the only Alfa I'd be interested in, though.

47 minutes ago, texasdago said:

do you have the quattro formaggi or the regular one?

Aston is crushing Geneva this year with the Valkyrie and the 003.  Aero and tech that I never would have guessed Aston would be putting out there.  The Valkyrie front splitter is straight out of F1.  I’m sure the Red Bull Racing collab has a lot to do with it.

Aston is crushing Geneva this year with the Valkyrie and the 003.  Aero and tech that I never would have guessed Aston would be putting out there.  The Valkyrie front splitter is straight out of F1.  I’m sure the Red Bull Racing collab has a lot to do with it.

Yep, Adrian Newey designed all of the aero work for the Valkyrie, so a lot of it carried over to the 003 as well.

Speaking of the 001, more elements showed up on the front wing today. The 003 front wing isn’t too far off of this one, either. I never thought I’d see huge Venturi tunnels, outwash footplate vortex channels, and cascade front wing elements on a road car. Just incredible. I didn’t really care much for Aston before, but these, man. These are awesome.

1fe48d04142f42cd46d3926da24d8aa3.jpg

Meanwhile, Ferrari is in the corner still using the 10 year old bones from the 458 on the new F8 (which I do like, but still).

9 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Ti Sport with RWD, not QF.  Had a chance to drive it, though.  Sniffed 100 before I could sneeze.  All that power from the rear is something else

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 8:28 AM, pepper brooks said:

if a man wanted a vehicle to just use very infrequently to take on hunting and fishing trips what is the go to?  Lets say maybe 25k is the max I would spend on such a vehicle.  I was maybe thinking about a 4 door jeep.  seems to fit much of what I would need.  

My wife's 2003 V8 4Runner Sport AWD is going to be retired to a place I'm about to buy in South Fork, CO. 240,000 miles and it will still cruise at 100 mph the whole trip up. Factory push button locking diff, and downhill assist control. Only things ever done to it was maintenance, timing chain and water pump kit at interval (it's a contact engine and bends valves and dings pistons if it breaks), cv joints,  rotors and pads, and a TPS (part of the throttle body, but those are $75 used). I bet I've spent less than $400, on parts not designed to wear out. The V8 was only from 2003-2009, has tons of torque, we average about 17 mpg powering all four wheels. You can find a good used one for $8500-$12000. I love the highway manners, fit and finish, and the less effort to run higher speeds than in a Jeep, even though the Jeep V6 has a higher hp rating.

CHIEF

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 7:58 PM, drewlaws said:

New (Miami blue?) GT3RS spotted today on bee caves and 360. Still had dealer plates.

72b1dfdf9cd362a000c7539c46893b6f.jpg

While I’m trying to post pics on tapa for the first time, here’s a McLaren 675LT I saw on dirty 6th several months ago.

ce9dc4974ca6a703025dd348fc6b9bba.jpg
fdf5ed8271cea1df27dee48f9ff6de3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. Miami Blue and the wheel color is Satin Aurum.