The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

34 minutes ago, Okie State said:

People pay $90K for a Toyota (Lexus) or Nissan (Infiniti), etc. I actually really like the direction Lincoln is headed. The Aviator will be on our list this time next year.

New Lincolns are pretty good looking vehicles.

And I like the new Supra. People are just hung up on the name. If it was called the Celica or the GT (what I would have picked, but the GT86 already exists) or the Sprinter or the Soarer nobody would bat an eye.

People wanted one, so they called it that. Fin.
Well, you’re half right. The car isn’t worthy of the name, true, but it’s disappointing on its own merits as well.
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

We agree. I would rank it #2 only behind the Land Cruiser which is the weapon of choice for a lot of serious off road junkies. I biasedly submiy the MR2 comes in at 3rd for the niche fanbois that love it. (Like me)

Yep.  MR2 Turbo from the 90s is #3 on my list as well.  Looks like my top 3 are the same as yours.  LC, Supra Turbo, MR2 Turbo.

46 minutes ago, G650 said:

I agree.  That's why I took a look at them.  

Put it this way.  I just got used to cars costing over $50k.  Gonna take me a while to adjust, I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Yep. Escalade too. The non-Lexus Toyota Land Cruiser is $90k, too. Kind of a different animal but yeah.  

Lots of Escalade buyers are already buying the Navigator.

Not to mention that a $400k Ford already exists, and the GT500 will probably crest $100k as well.

The GT and GT500 are limited production specialty vehicles.  And the Land Cruiser is the world's most iconic SUV.  Hell, it invented the category.

19 hours ago, G650 said:

I can't put my finger on it - and they're absolutely headed the right direction - but there's still something too embellished about the grill and some of the finish (wheels, chrome accents, etc.).  It takes away from what are some of the best looking lines/shape in the category.  They are just ever-so-slighty gaudy and logo-y - it's as if the American OEMs are convinced their badges are really attractive to people so they can't help themselves.   If they'd just tone it down....

(The interiors are really nice, though).

46 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

I can't put my finger on it - and they're absolutely headed the right direction - but there's still something too embellished about the grill and some of the finish (wheels, chrome accents, etc.).  It takes away from what are some of the best looking lines/shape in the category.  They are just ever-so-slighty gaudy and logo-y - it's as if the American OEMs are convinced their badges are really attractive to people so they can't help themselves.   If they'd just tone it down....

(The interiors are really nice, though).

Yeah, I agree

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

you can keep saying it.  it still isn't right. 

Okay I'll bite. What would you say it is? If you're talking soccer mom mobile in the US (ie, the contemporary definition of SUV) then I'd concede the Ford Explorer or Grand Cherokee.  For wagon-on-a-truck chassis, you could go back to the original Jeep Wagoneer I supposed. But for overland sport and utility, Toyota created the category and is still second to none.  

Edited by ohchaucer
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Okay I'll bite. What would you say it is? If you're talking soccer mom mobile in the US (ie, the contemporary definition of SUV) then I'd concede the Ford Explorer or Grand Cherokee.  For wagon-on-a-truck chassis, you could go back to the original Jeep Wagoneer I supposed. But for overland sport and utility, Toyota created the category and is still second to none.  

the original was built to the then US gov't willys spec, so that's hardly a class originating vehicle.  the second generation LC came out after the land rover, and at the same time as the scout.  i don't know how you can exclude those from "SUV" without no true scotsmaning it. 

if we're talking about wagon bodies on truck chassis, the suburban far predates all of them (bar trivia answer: the chevrolet suburban is the oldest continuously produced nameplate in the US car industry, dating to 1935). 

if it were really that significant in starting the class, you'd think the first mention for the LC on wikipedia in the SUV history article would be before 1968.

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 3

On another note, I have never followed Tesla's either. But, on the way to the office this morning it looked like a model s was trying to play.  Didn't take the bait because it was a tesla.  Looked it up because it seemed quick and appears the P100D does 0-60 in 2.5...Holy Shit!.  I think I would have got him back around 100 but still....pretty impressive.  

On 1/18/2019 at 8:42 PM, BurntEyes said:

If you're gonna wait nearly 20 years to bring a beloved car back into production .

Get it right.

Toyota didn't, at all. 

Very disappointed in the new Supra.  I had 3 in the 1990s.  Take off the cats, add boost controller, blow off valve, low restriction muffler and have a true 500 hp car that handled great.  Going to a single turbo increased the hp but also increased the lag.  Fun times.  SW had some 1000 hp single turbos that were rockets.  

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

The more I think about it, the more vexed I become.

Toyota could have gone the Nissan GTR/Acura NSX path with the Supra. If they got it right, and Toyota is very capable of doing so, they could have easily sold it for 6 figures and brought back an iconic car, the right way.

But no..... NOOO.

Fuck you Toyota!

Yeah, a trd cooked Supra analog to the gtr would have had a waiting list of 5 years. Ah, what might have been... Oh well. 

Guess maybe the new RX 7 will fit the bill... Eventually?

16 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I can't and won't ever fault someone for buying a Taco.

However, after driving it and the Colorado I went with the Chevy. It was a better vehicle given the nice uptick in 'human' components. It made it nicer to drive.

Again, this could go down a rat hole that I don't want. To help alleviate that I restate that I understand why many folks prefer the Toyota. I'm a MR2 fan boy and have converted Honda lovers in the past.

I’m a GM guy, they’ve treated me very well over the last 20 years and million miles or so.   I’m an not a Toyota fan (at all) after about 1995 or so.

But this take belongs in the unpopular opinions thread. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Like 1

The new Ranger looks nice. I don't think it is as small as it would seem, only when compared to our much too big current full-size trucks. I have a 2014 F-150 and my first F-150 was a 1994. Mine was a regular cab with an 8-foot bed. That had a 133" wheelbase. It was 79" wide. The new Ranger's wheelbase is 126.8" and the width is 85.8" It might be something worth looking at when I want to change trucks.

The new Ranger looks nice. I don't think it is as small as it would seem, only when compared to our much too big current full-size trucks. I have a 2014 F-150 and my first F-150 was a 1994. Mine was a regular cab with an 8-foot bed. That had a 133" wheelbase. It was 79" wide. The new Ranger's wheelbase is 126.8" and the width is 85.8" It might be something worth looking at when I want to change trucks.

The new Ranger’s wheelbase is only 0.9” longer than this one:

e97b92542ec3f35687620d3dd45a10d8.jpg

It’s about 7” longer overall though, and wider as you said. It’s actually very wide. 9” wider than a Colorado. 10” wider than Tacoma/FJ/4Runner. Basically the same as F-150 width. That’s nuts.

I needed a truck for our small farm and looked at the new GMC 2500’s. And yes they are really nice. But damn they are really fucking expensive. I saw pricing over $58000!

Who would (could?) spend that type of money (that are not commercial) and actually be OK with working it? I would be scared to death to get a fucking scratch on it.

The best I could do was $37000, which of course didn’t have all of the bells and whistles (actually it has very few B&W). But it does have 4 wheel drive. And I did spring the $150 GMC charges to level it up. Because I can’t stand it looking like a damn tractor pull rig.

On 1/25/2019 at 12:05 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

And before that the early ones were even called Toyota Jeep BJ.

Never sold well. Problem was branding.  All the men wanted this model but women who owned them while single stopped buying once they got married. Essentially, it cut the market in half.

On another note, I have never followed Tesla's either. But, on the way to the office this morning it looked like a model s was trying to play.  Didn't take the bait because it was a tesla.  Looked it up because it seemed quick and appears the P100D does 0-60 in 2.5...Holy Shit!.  I think I would have got him back around 100 but still....pretty impressive.  

Yeah, it’s like driving a slot car.

Oh you mean the shitty vehicle that is number two in it's market behind only the Honda. So much a leader that it forced Toyota and Nissan to revamp their line and forced Ford back into the market? That POS?
Yeah your takes are, like I suspected, uniformed, ignorant and shitty.
You might not be picking up what I dropping, so to clarify my take is not an unpopular one and you are a fucking moron.

It’s not a bad truck at all, but it didn’t make Toyota and Nissan do anything. I’m kind of surprised that Nissan still hasn’t updated the Frontier. It’s been the same since 2005. The Colorado came back in 2015, and the Taco redesign came out in 2016 which was normal schedule.

The GM twins have had pretty good sales, but the Tacoma still sells more than all midsize trucks, so I’m not sure where your numbers came from. The Ridgeline sells the least.

It’s not a pickup, but the 4Runner was supposed to get refreshed already but they keep selling more every year, so they haven’t done it yet.