2021 Texas Baseball

petscii

On 11/14/2020 at 9:17 AM, Lobo said:

Yeah, when LHF told me to hang tight on changing my season tickets up a bit, I knew we aren't starting at Disch-Falk Field in February.  I think we start conference play in April with limited home series, and possibly some peppered local non-conf. games midweek (maybe 5 or so).  

I'm also hearing that due to Covid-19, Iowa State won't be playing any baseball this season.  Damn shame.  

Iowa State anticipated this pandemic 20 years ago.

I am hopeful we are all vaccinated and in the stands this Spring. Probably delusional, but it keeps me going.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

How’s this for a lineup/depth chart?

CF Antico

SS Faltine

RF Todd
1B Zubia
3B Williams
DH Melendez
LF Kennedy
C Ardoin
2B Stehly

SP Madden, Hansen, Cobb, Witt, Kubichek, Sthele, Southard
RP Stevens, Quintanilla, Merryman, Wenzel

Bench/Extras:
IF: Ford, Campbell, Daly, Geib
Catcher: Petrinsky, Powell, Constantine, Peter
OF: Hodo
P: Swope, Gordon, Lummus, Taylor, Noah, Walbridge, Porter, Shifflet, Eckhardt, Johnson, Bryant, Duplantier

Edited by Snake Diggity

5 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

I'd love to be able to send the same guy out there every Tuesday.  Somebody who could give us a solid 6 innings, without this Johnny Allstaff nonsense. I think the last time we could do that was McCullough's frosh year.

Ideally someone would take Cobb’s spot on Sunday, but either him, Witt, or Kubichek would probably be a decent Tuesday regular. What we don’t know is if this staff likes rotating Tuesday guys to get looks at new people regardless, or if they have just had to do it out of necessity up to this point.

20 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

How’s this for a lineup/depth chart?

CF Antico

SS Faltine

RF Todd
1B Zubia
3B Williams
DH Melendez
LF Kennedy
C Ardoin
2B Stehly

SP Madden, Hansen, Cobb, Witt, Kubichek, Sthele, Southard
RP Stevens, Quintanilla, Merryman, Wenzel

Bench/Extras:
IF: Ford, Campbell, Daly, Geib
Catcher: Petrinsky, Powell, Constantine, Peter
OF: Hodo
P: Swope, Gordon, Lummus, Taylor, Noah, Walbridge, Porter, Shifflet, Eckhardt, Johnson, Bryant, Duplantier

Not good if we still have nobody better than Todd and zubia. 

On 11/30/2020 at 5:58 PM, Horny Bull said:

Hate that #HookEm shit.  Texas or Longhorns is what you call the team.  Or do we start referring to other schools as GigEm, GunsUp, and KissYourSister?

Who is that shitty announcer that constantly refers to Texas as HookEm during a game?  Mindnumbing idiocy.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't hold your breath.  It's gonna be 1 or 2 NC weekend series, at most. A half dozen midweek games, mostly in April.  The conference slate is being pushed back as far as it can go based on back-end semester in-class instruction on most league campuses.  Don't expect the whole thing to start until around mid-March.  

There will be a College World Series this summer.  And there will be a bracket to play into it.  But how you play into that bracket is literally a complete unknown.  Big XII is supposed to have the schedule pieced together in about  2 weeks time.  

Pierce's contract expires in 2022.   Normally, you do not want a coach to enter into the final year of his contract without an extension.   But, Covid will have to be considered and the effect it will have on this and future seasons.   Meaning how may games will be played, competition, etc.   In Lobo's posts above it seems this season will not be normal.

Meaning it may be difficult to determine progress unless there is a repeat of the 27-27 season in  2019.   Last year's team started 14-3 (won Ark, Lost to LSU, Mizzou, Az, swept a weak Fullerton team which finished the season at 4-12).   Pierce's resume includes a regular season B12 title  and a trip to Omaha (0-2) in 2018.  

tl;dr:   Pierce may be the "Teflon Don" of college baseball.     Not enough evidence to convict.  CDC may have a difficult decision.

Got the season ticket email today about how they're still looking at capacity/venue changes/etc. to accommodate some percentage of fans.  Didn't get into dates/schedule but the tone suggested, "We were kinda getting our arms around how to do this, and now Travis County is blowing up again so give us a little more time...shit's changing in real time."  But my friend still thinks it'll be early April, about 6 weeks after the usual start time with 1 non-conference weekend series, full conference slate, and ~5 midweek games.  Little over half the usual games.  

My standpoint on it is I think Pierce is a good coach and likable. I think he will do well.

But he has to do well with this roster, and if he doesn't, then he is worthy of scrutiny. Nothing personal but it is what it is with Texas baseball. The standards are higher on the east side of 35.

That's a good update.  I guess it would supplant the superfluous travel for the here-and-there non-conference mid-week game, as well as my hyphens.  

Same end result I suppose.  Whatever we can get through to then arrive at a post-season model in late-May that's fair.  

32 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

I don't live in Austin, so what's the outlook to just pick up some tix for a weekend game or two this season with my UT daughter (no pix)?  I didn't try this for football, so I don't know how easy tickets were to get with limited capacity.

For now, their working model is only to allow season ticket holders in fixed seats to be allowed entry.  Kinda like with basketball.  I suspect that's gonna hold for at least March and probably April.  Having said that, you'll be able to buy somebody's season tickets for a single game (or ten for that matter) privately and use them responsibly.  Don't move around once inside the stadium (as far as seats go, you can obviously get up and buy concessions).  Maybe the back half of the season things will open up, but for now if you're planning to come for a game---just buy discretely from a season ticket holder.  If I decide to re-up my seats this year (50/50 at this point), I'd be happy to just give you my seats for a game no charge (maybe some beer).  

40 minutes ago, Lobo said:

For now, their working model is only to allow season ticket holders in fixed seats to be allowed entry.  Kinda like with basketball.  I suspect that's gonna hold for at least March and probably April.  Having said that, you'll be able to buy somebody's season tickets for a single game (or ten for that matter) privately and use them responsibly.  Don't move around once inside the stadium (as far as seats go, you can obviously get up and buy concessions).  Maybe the back half of the season things will open up, but for now if you're planning to come for a game---just buy discretely from a season ticket holder.  If I decide to re-up my seats this year (50/50 at this point), I'd be happy to just give you my seats for a game no charge (maybe some beer).  

Thanks for the straight up answer.  Not even planning right now, just thinking about it.