Chili w/o beans

Dutch

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is that a Fresno chile?

Ripe jap. 3# grass fed chili grind, maybe 10 guajillos, 5 anchos, some various other small peppers. Float one fucking jalapeno and I got wife and kids complaining about heat. I told them that that shit was like 0.5 X and they need to grow some balls. Not the wife though, tttiawwt. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 10/18/2023 at 7:46 AM, Anastasis said:

Have we discussed a scoop of rice in the bottom of the chili bowl yet?

On 10/19/2023 at 9:38 AM, Texzilla58 said:

Chili and rice absolutely go together. Back when most restaurants had a cheap dish for po folks on the menu, a lot of TexMex joints had a bowl of pintos or chili and rice, which was their standard Mexican rice covered in enchilada chili gravy. It was like mopping up the tail end of your cheese ench platter.

I lived on these type things in college in Memphis. Rice with chili at the TexMex joint, greens, pot likker, cornbread, green onions at most plate lunch joints, spaghetti with butter and garlic at a couple Italian joints, etc all under a Buck.

We made Texas chili Tuesday night served as frito pies with a side of cornbread. Usual toppings on the chili. Finished most of the leftovers Wednesday night. Thursday enchiladas and Mexican rice were made. So Friday I ate the last half a cup of chili served over about a cup of rice, was mighty tasty. Not sure I’d make it fresh but as leftovers thrown together was good to go. No pics taken or I’d have posted in the steel shank thread instead.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think a Fresno is essentially a ripe jap (hey to Bill Parcells).  Maybe Case & Colt McCoy on the family tree.  Not sure which one is Case.

fresno is a new mexican cultivar, jalapenos are a precolombian cultivar with no close relatives.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Sorry if already answered, but what's the consensus on Poblano's? I have a whole bunch from my garden this year. I've been blending them into my refried beans and they really add some good flavor. 

Lots and lots of folks (myself included) use reconstituted or powdered poblanos (Ancho), but I've personally never used fresh ones.  I don't see how it could hurt, especially if blended.  

28 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Sorry if already answered, but what's the consensus on Poblano's? I have a whole bunch from my garden this year. I've been blending them into my refried beans and they really add some good flavor. 

I've used a fresh poblano before, and honestly it wasn't a bad flavor at all. Wouldn't be my every day, but it's an interesting flavor for chili. 

I have an original copy of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo 50th anniversary cookbook so I figured I’d grab a couple chili recipes for it from this thread. These will help settle the debate or enrage it.

The date ranger here is 1932-1982,

IMG_3169.thumb.jpeg.969a8dd52add35656434913bb37cef19.jpeg

IMG_3170.thumb.jpeg.363abeb4aeb21016d53f90a67b0dbc45.jpeg

They also have a brisket recipe which is spoilered below. NSFW

Spoiler

IMG_3171.thumb.jpeg.39410124d316e32a6f1e0469636ae43a.jpeg

Edited by Covri
  • Like 1

You have to peel them with a flame. I enjoy poblanos for chile rellenos, and love them in green chili. Not so much in red.

Chile relleno using the leftover chili as gravy. It’s like I’m cooking chili with my sisters kids around here

I feel like it's been discussed either here or on the old site but I can't find it. When subbing fresh ingredients (garlic,onion, chiles) for powders it's obviously not a 1:1 swap, but how do you decide on your amount?

I've not screwed anything up yet by just eyeballing it, but I would like to get this down more consistently because I've kicked around entering a competition several in the last couple years just for shits and giggles.

52 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I feel like it's been discussed either here or on the old site but I can't find it. When subbing fresh ingredients (garlic,onion, chiles) for powders it's obviously not a 1:1 swap, but how do you decide on your amount?

I've not screwed anything up yet by just eyeballing it, but I would like to get this down more consistently because I've kicked around entering a competition several in the last couple years just for shits and giggles.

Go around these recipes and you can come up with something to start with when only using powders. Think these are all 2lb meat recipes. https://www.casichili.net/recipes.html

I tried out a few of these, then tweaked some things to come up with my recipe, which is for 3lb chili grind. 

I’ve always had chili with beans and potatoes. But it always put a layer of Fritos and add jalapeño and shredded cheese. All the old timers in my family are Czech and that’s how they always made it.

More concerning than anything is their ability to make Cabbage rolls but instead call them “piggies”, “pigs in a blanket”, or “porcupine meatballs”

10 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

More concerning than anything is their ability to make Cabbage rolls but instead call them “piggies”, “pigs in a blanket”, or “porcupine meatballs”

My dad was from North Dakota, and they call those "pigs in the blanket" there. Germans from Russia country, that area.

10 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

I’ve always had chili with beans and potatoes. But it always put a layer of Fritos and add jalapeño and shredded cheese. All the old timers in my family are Czech and that’s how they always made it.

A lot of Mexican families in South Texas eat something like that, and almost like it, and different things close to it, but normally with tortillas instead of fritos... but TBH it sounds like it'd be bad ass with fritos. I do a picadillo-ish thing, but it's a light chili base, with potatoes and corn. Crackers or fritos hit with it. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

For fresh herbs (basil, thyme, etc.) the general rule of thumb is to cut the volume of fresh product by 3 if using dried product (i.e., 1 Tbsp fresh minced basil = 1 tsp dried basil powder).

For typical chili ingredients, I use the following, which seem to work pretty well, but you might adjust to your taste:

1 clove fresh garlic = 1/8 tsp garlic powder

1 small fresh onion = 2 tsp onion powder

1 medium fresh onion = 1 Tbsp onion powder

1 large fresh onion = 1.5 Tbsp onion powder

1 ancho chile = 1.5 Tbsp ancho powder

1 guajillo chile = 1 tsp guajillo powder

1 chipotle chile = 1 tsp chipotle powder

These should get you started, but your mileage may vary.  It's a continuous experiment.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

This recipe from Texas Monthly showed up in my feed yesterday.  It looks like it uses dry chiles, but they are ground into a powder as opposed to rehydrating.  Anyone here tried it?

spacer.png

Spoiler

Ingredients  

1x2x3x
  • 12 ancho chiles, stems and seeds removed
  • 7 pasilla chiles, stems and seeds removed
  •  tablespoons cumin seeds, toasted, then ground
  • 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds, toasted, then ground
  •  tablespoons dried Mexican oregano
  • 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa
  •  tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
  • ½ teaspoon cayenne
  • 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 pounds beef chuck roast
  •  cup fresh leaf lard (preferable) or shortening
  • 2 large onions, chopped
  • 15 garlic cloves, minced
  •  cup tomato paste
  • 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
  • 3 quarts chicken stock (set aside ⅔ cup for the masa harina)
  • ½ cup masa harina whisked into ⅔ cup hot chicken stock
  • kosher salt

Directions 

• Heat a heavy-bottomed 12- to 14-inch skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add a layer of the chiles. Cook, turning often, until a strong chile aroma—one that is not bitter or charred—emanates from the pan. Do not allow the chiles to burn. Spread the chiles on a wire rack to cool and become moderately crisp. Repeat until all the chiles have been toasted.
  • Grind the chiles to a fine powder in an electric spice or coffee grinder. Shake the chile powder through a fine strainer to remove any large pieces.
  • Combine the ground chiles with the cumin, coriander, oregano, cocoa, paprika, cayenne, and black pepper. Set the mixture aside.
  • Trim the chuck roast, removing all fat, gristle, and tendons. Chop the meat by hand into ½-inch dice; set aside.
  • Melt the lard in a heavy-bottomed 8-quart (or larger) Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the fat is hot, add the meat and sear, stirring often.
  • Add the onions and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are wilted and transparent, about 7 minutes.
  • Add the tomato paste and stir to blend well. Cook, stirring, until the tomato paste is thick and dark in color, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and chile-spice mixture. Stir to blend well, then add the chicken stock. 
  • Bring the mixture to a full boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1½ hours. 
  • Stir in the masa mixture and salt to taste. 
  • Cook, uncovered, an additional 30 to 45 minutes on low-medium heat, or until the chili is thickened and the meat is fork-tender. Stir often to prevent sticking. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Serve hot and add your favorite toppings (diced onion, avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, corn chips, et cetera).

For fresh herbs (basil, thyme, etc.) the general rule of thumb is to cut the volume of fresh product by 3 if using dried product (i.e., 1 Tbsp fresh minced basil = 1 tsp dried basil powder).
For typical chili ingredients, I use the following, which seem to work pretty well, but you might adjust to your taste:

1 clove fresh garlic = 1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 small fresh onion = 2 tsp onion powder
1 medium fresh onion = 1 Tbsp onion powder
1 large fresh onion = 1.5 Tbsp onion powder
1 ancho chile = 1.5 Tbsp ancho powder
1 guajillo chile = 1 tsp guajillo powder
1 chipotle chile = 1 tsp chipotle powder

These should get you started, but your mileage may vary.  It's a continuous experiment.

Thanks JJ this is what I was looking for.

12 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

This recipe from Texas Monthly showed up in my feed yesterday.  It looks like it uses dry chiles, but they are ground into a powder as opposed to rehydrating.  Anyone here tried it?

I'm not sure about the cocoa.  I've seen it in recipes before.  It might push things towards a mole flavor profile.  I'd also suggest it's very ancho-forward, although I'm also loathe to use too many pasilla chiles as they can come across as bitter.  Personally, I prefer closer to an equal weight of ancho and guajillo chiles, but that's gonna vary from person to person.

Try it? 

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not sure about the cocoa.  I've seen it in recipes before.  It might push things towards a mole flavor profile.  I'd also suggest it's very ancho-forward, although I'm also loathe to use too many pasilla chiles as they can come across as bitter.  Personally, I prefer closer to an equal weight of ancho and guajillo chiles, but that's gonna vary from person to person.

Try it? 

I haven't tried it.  Have you ever ground chiles as opposed to rehydrated?

It seems like it would be basically the same end result.  I know that with a Vitamix, I get 100% of the pepper in the mix.

Edited by Jerry Callo

8 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I haven't tried it.  Have you ever ground chiles as opposed to rehydrated?

It seems like it would be basically the same end result.  I know that with a Vitamix, I get 100% of the pepper in the mix.

Sure.  It's chile powder.  1:1 by weight (excluding stems & seeds).  I think it's easier to get a smooth chili base with rehydrated peppers, though, and it's not much different in terms of effort.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Personally, I prefer closer to an equal weight of ancho and guajillo chiles

Completely agree, this is the ratio I use as well.

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Sure.  It's chile powder.  1:1 by weight (excluding stems & seeds).  I think it's easier to get a smooth chili base with rehydrated peppers, though, and it's not much different in terms of effort.

Agree.  I always taste at least a little bit of grittiness, in any recipe that uses powders.  

That never happens with rehydrated peppers run through the Vitamix for a couple of minutes.  So smooth.

I'm posting here this afternoon because I'm deep in my feels after losing a chili cook-off. The actual event carried no prize, no prestige and no particular weight in my life. But the reason I'm shook is that out of 6 entrants, the top two winners were a white chicken chili and a chicken chili Verde.

Does life still have meaning? Do the words we speak carry any attachment to reality? If you put chicken soup on the table of a chili cook-off, do you not deserve some sort of gruesome violent punishment? If my chili recipe can't crack the top two in that lineup (one that also included a Midwest chili) should I ever bother cooking ever again?

To chime in on the bbq sauce convo:  BBQ sauce shouldnt be use as a featured flavor ingredient. But I have made chili using mixed leftovers of sliced and chopped brisket - that came out great.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1