Chili w/o beans

Dutch

TBD is one of my favorite charities

They’re awesome.
I’m doing the Menchaca VFW Saturday, we always need judges. Come on out.
Free chili and free beer.
I’ll have my portable disc golf basket set up, the kids like to throw at it.
And there’s this bad boy.
0729cd1a85250055f44cc47be4b60de5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’re awesome.

They’re awesome.

They’re awesome.

They’re awesome.

1 lbs venison with 10% beef tallow and 10% sirloin; 1 lbs venison with 20% brisket. 

Tomato sauce, original Ro-tel, cumin, garlic, oregano, chili powder, red pepper, salt, a little beer and water and 2 serrano floaters. 

Drink 5 American low-brow beers for a good buzz, serve with Fritos, shredded cheese, white unjin, and a dab of sour cream.  

Left overs tomorrow with fried eggs.  

Fight me. 

0A92FD05-4F58-4CF4-9B1A-B714BB68FF7A.jpeg

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

f02e52de2498d6301fbb7e02462bd919.jpg

3 pounds ground venison. 1 pound venison breakfast sausage. Two pounds cubed backstrap.
Recipe: Pedernales River Rat chili recipe. Sub 6 Ziegen bock and 6 lone star for the broths. Float 4 jalapeños and 3 serranos.

6# meat strong to quite strong. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6# meat strong to quite strong. 

Kids aren’t old enough to go skiing yet so the group we usually go with is going without us (again) next Saturday. Chili dogs the first night at the cabin is a tradition, so I told them I would make extra chili and put it in a vacuum sealed bag and freeze it for them to take. Took 4.5 hours to get this batch how I like it. I won’t be playing with this much meat again. /that’swhatshesaid

Tried to cook up a truly red Texas Red this afternoon.  Mission accomplished.  Might have gone too far.  Personally, I prefer guajillo peppers to ancho and pasilla chiles, but so many Texas chili recipes lean heavily (if not exclusively) on ancho chiles.  And, some purists eschew tomatoes.  Well, I'm not a purist, except when I am.  

So, this recipe includes a 3:1 ratio of guajillo to ancho peppers by weight, along with some hot smoked Spanish paprika, and tomatoes.  It was . . . well, it was red.  Once I got the cayenne dialed in right, it was really good, but I do think it needs some more ancho chile to bring in that raisin-y sweetness that a bright chile like guajillo just doesn't have.  Ingredient list on the next post.  Oh yeah, that's not a typo -- I started with a roux, which is my go-to technique these days.  I get the thickening one often needs at the end but without the flour taste, just a slight nuttiness and textural sheen.   Mmmm, chili.

image.thumb.png.dce428c11ff5cd231e86ded770ee9930.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 lb         80/20 ground chuck

1 lb         ground sirloin

16 oz     crushed canned tomatoes

1              ancho chile

14           guajillo chiles

2              medium onions, diced

6              cloves garlic, minced

3.75 c    water

Spice mix:

2 Tbsp   fresh ground cumin seeds

4 tsp      Morton coarse ground kosher salt

1.5 tsp  smoked paprika

1.5 tsp  Mexican oregano flakes

1 tsp      fresh ground black pepper

1 tsp      cayenne pepper

Roux:

90 g        unsalted butter

90 g        bread flour

2 T          olive oil

• Hook 'Em 4

On 12/13/2021 at 8:36 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Mine wasn't nearly hot enough.  I finally located some dried chipotles and used those instead of chipotles in adobo.  I'm going back to the chipotles in adobo sauce - adds both heat and flavor.  I also forgot to add a couple chiles de arbol.

One floated jap doesn't do much. A floated serrano next to it helps. 

On 12/12/2021 at 7:15 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I envy you guys who can cook a batch and not have the rest of the family bitch at you because “it’s too spicy”!  

“Pour some damned milk in it” only worked never, for my wife and kids. 

Fucking a this.  I always have to make two pots: one for the wife and kid, who flip at any spice at all (I basically make them Wick Fowler's False Alarm), and a real pot of red for myself.  Then ITA for not using "real chiles" in her pot.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Fucking a this.  I always have to make two pots: one for the wife and kid, who flip at any spice at all (I basically make them Wick Fowler's False Alarm), and a real pot of red for myself.  Then ITA for not using "real chiles" in her pot.

Same same. 

Made a big pot last night and dialed it all back so everyone could “enjoy” it. As for myself in these situations, I add raw serranos for heat as a topper. Not the same but it gets the job done. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 11:23 PM, Frank The Tank said:

In the smoker at 250 for 8 hours. Damn good. 

Possible stupid question amnesty - So do you put all ingredients uncooked into the pot before smoking?  Or do you brown the onions and/or meat first?

Edited by South Austin

7 hours ago, South Austin said:

Possible stupid question amnesty - So do you put all ingredients uncooked into the pot before smoking?  Or do you brown the onions and/or meat first?

I’m smoking a 3.5 pound chuck roast and taking it to 185 internal and using that as my base for chili on Friday. Should take around 4 hours at 300 degrees. Adding in a pound of smoked ground breakfast sausage COOKED. All meats are cooked prior to combining for me. Honestly, if I was doing a chuck roast, I’d take it to 195 or so. I’d cook it differently if I was doing just a chuck roast to eat alone (would put it in a pan with onions, potatoes, carrots and beef broth). Taking it to 185, it won’t be done for chili but it cooks it mostly through in order for me to cube it up and it will fall apart tender when I cook it for four hours:

I’ll char the onion, poblano and red bell pepper on the grill prior to cutting and putting in pot as well.  

3.5 pound chuck roast will yield 2.5 lbs of beef

1 lb of breakfast sausage 

Depending on yield of chuck roast, I may add a pound of ground beef 

1 large onion, 1 poblano, 1 red bell pepper, 1 or 2 chipotle pepper in ancho (depending on how hot I want it), 2 tablespoons minced garlic, 2 cans of HEB fire roasted garlic tomatoes

All purpose seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic), chili powder, worstishire (sp?) sauce, cholula sauce, and a quart and a half of beef broth. Maybe a couple tablespoons of tomato paste. 

the most important ingredient: no fucking beans.

Let it simmer until it thickens up (usually around 4 or 5 hours).

Edited by pearlandhorn

11 hours ago, South Austin said:

Seared the larger chunks of meat and browned the ground beef in a cast iron separately and browned the onions and garlic as well. It all goes into the big cast iron pot fully cooked with the tomatoes and spices to then smoke and meld all day. 

We haven't been above freezing for a few days so I decided to make chili today. Toasted and rehydrate several different peppers. Sautéed my beef in batches and then onion in bacon fat, and then added garlic and tomato paste. Mixed it all up with spices, beef broth and a can of Rotel and let it simmer for 5 hours. Came out damn good. Took pictures, but it was real dark chili, so wasn't worth posting them. 

There is a disturbing trend this weekend of picture-less posts in this forum. But, I can picture it in my mind and it sounds good (even if a can of Rotel was used - and I can’t talk because I’m currently simmering a batch of kid-friendly turkey chili with beans eg, chili stew).

And I, too, am curious about the non-meat gravy recipe. Looks smashing.

13 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

There is a disturbing trend this weekend of picture-less posts in this forum. But, I can picture it in my mind and it sounds good (even if a can of Rotel was used - and I can’t talk because I’m currently simmering a batch of kid-friendly turkey chili with beans eg, chili stew).

And I, too, am curious about the non-meat gravy recipe. Looks smashing.

I've never used Rotel before, so this was something new for me. It was a small can. I didn't want to add a lot of canned tomatoes but did want to add green chilies, so I just dumped in the can. I don't think it really added, or took away anything, from the overall chili. Here is a picture from the last time I made some since you asked. Today's batch was darker, thicker, and much better. 

20211106_155812.thumb.jpg.b7c88e447483693fff73920b5ddefd92.jpg20211106_180341.thumb.jpg.842e18f2dd3c9d894a641ce633c9cc19.jpg

Maybe it’s just me, but I find that tomatoes ruin chili. Even more than beans if that is possible.

I made a batch the other day but made 4x the chili paste.  Put the excess paste in a pan in the freezer and then cut it into 4 cubes and vacu sealed them.  Each cube is enough chili paste for ~3 pounds of meat. I used 3-1 guajillo to ancho ratio.

I still had about an hour to cook it down at this point:

ED24BF41-512F-45E6-A756-8F247D2E1FF8.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I find that tomatoes ruin chili. Even more than beans if that is possible.

I made a batch the other day but made 4x the chili paste.  Put the excess paste in a pan in the freezer and then cut it into 4 cubes and vacu sealed them.  Each cube is enough chili paste for ~3 pounds of meat. I used 3-1 guajillo to ancho ratio.

I still had about an hour to cook it down at this point:

ED24BF41-512F-45E6-A756-8F247D2E1FF8.jpeg

I used equal amounts of guajillo to ancho, which is why mine was darker. I also used a couple of dried arbol for a little kick

12 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I used equal amounts of guajillo to ancho, which is why mine was darker. I also used a couple of dried arbol for a little kick

Equal in number or weight?  

Regarding the earlier discussion, I'm OK with tomatoes in chili.  I think in small amounts they add complexity.  Certainly they're not as off limits for a "Texas Red" as beans.  (Ironically, the San Antonio Chili Queens encouraged customers to purchase a side bowl of beans, which were commonly mixed with the chili.)

On 1/8/2022 at 2:42 PM, Tonesky said:

I made a meatless batch for tamale gravy. After sautéing the onions and garlic, with about 1/2 of the spices, everything went into the Vitamix, before simmering for a few hours. 

E76FF17E-8166-4A16-9454-AA9A4629576D.jpeg

13 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Got a recipe?

See Jimmyjazz, Page 1, Post #16. 

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Equal in number or weight?  

Regarding the earlier discussion, I'm OK with tomatoes in chili.  I think in small amounts they add complexity.  Certainly they're not as off limits for a "Texas Red" as beans.  (Ironically, the San Antonio Chili Queens encouraged customers to purchase a side bowl of beans, which were commonly mixed with the chili.)

I used 3 of each, and 2 arbol.