2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

and to add to the "october surprise" conversation - i've been positing for months that he would announce a covid vaccine on november 1st (among other things), whether there's one out of trials or not - he'll announce that it's ready.  it's obvious, everyone can see it coming, nobody will care.  but i wonder, with trump getting it, and "beating" it like he'd have us believe, does that remove some of the bang he might've gotten from a vaccine announcement?

wait, you already told us it's not a big deal, to not let it dominate us, and to go back to work.  if you can beat it, we can beat it, right?  oh, a vaccine?  cool cool cool.

tough decision to balance the fraud coming out of it being a fake vaccine with the increased tendency toward early voting.  wait until 11/1? 2/3rds of the country has already voted.  do it 10/15? by 10/20 everyone knows it's bullshit.  heavy is the head that wears the crown.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

i'm personally pretty fucking tired of the performance, but it is what it is, I guess.

I was being polite.  I was, at one point in time, worried that he'd slipped into some dark place that was manifesting itself on this board through politics (any of the shit that gets attorneys in their 40's and early 50's) but it's so consistent in the face of overwhelming evidence that he's wrong (2018 election- all the polls) that I figure it's performance art now at this time.  

Just now, Brisketexan said:

I know nothing (ask my wife, she'll back me up on that).

Also, the Atlanta Falcons say "hi."  Fuck leads.  I don't believe in them.  I won't believe that it's over unless/until Biden is actually sworn in on January 20th - Trump and the GOP won't stop fighting until then, regardless of the votes.

also, your backup bit is as tiring as your original bit.

we are all going to die!

no moron. everything says we are fine.

i'm actually just saying it to pump up my team, this post hoc rationalization just happens to also insulate me from mockery when i am hilariously wrong!

also not believable, and now suddenly chickenshitty as you won't even stand behind your own takes. 

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Look at the delta in those margins of Biden v. Hillary's performance.....they are razor-thin.

This race is and will remain a toss-up.

By election day, Clinton was +1 in PA and they were basically even in Florida. You were also seeing numbers like Hillary 46% to Trump 45% in PA, where Biden is constantly above 50%. 

So those states are probably only tossups if you assume that Biden is going to tank in October like Hillary did.

It's Wisconsin and Michigan that could get weird. On election day 538 had Clinton +5 in Wisconsin and +4 in Michigan and she lost both. If we assume 2016-like margins of error favoring Trump's actual vs. polling, WI and MI could get weird. And if Trump wins WI and MI, then Biden would need to win either Ohio or Florida to win, and I don't see that happening.

So yeah, it's definitely still very much in doubt. People are taking MI and WI too much for granted IMO. I actually think PA is currently more solid than those two.

But all that said, it's not a toss-up. Biden is the clear favorite at this point.

Edited by BradInATX

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I was being polite.  I was, at one point in time, worried that he'd slipped into some dark place that was manifesting itself on this board through politics (any of the shit that gets attorneys in their 40's and early 50's) but it's so consistent in the face of overwhelming evidence that he's wrong (2018 election- all the polls) that I figure it's performance art now at this time.  

Look at where all the polls had Hillary vs where they have Biden today.  Then note the unprecedented (since the Civil Rights era) efforts at vote suppression and election interference.  Then look at the promises to tie this up in friendly courts.  Step back, and look at the big picture.  That big picture tells you that this is and will remain a tossup.  

I'm not saying Trump is a lock (I was a lot closer to saying that in 2016 -- I very much thought he was likely to win), but I'm also not saying Biden is a lock.  There are too many fucking variables here, between turnout, interference, suppression, court shenanigans, etc.  When you run a democratic race against an undemocratic opponent whose party controls a shitload of the power apparatus, you  are at a disadvantage, even if you're more popular.

The problem is that we SHOULD be kicking out a president this truly fucking awful and evil and shitty without even worrying about it.  The fact that there's even a conversation to have tells us that we remain in a shitty place as a country.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Rage+1 1

Here's a map of the really fucky scenario that's actually possible. Trump outperforms polling in WI/MI significantly and pulls off surprise victories in those two, just like last time. Biden takes PA.

https://www.270towin.com/maps/EBerB

I gave Trump NC and GA because I assume if he wins WI/MI he's going to win those two as well, plus those two states are the Jordan and LeBron of voter suppression. 

That's a tough map for Biden. Really tough. Even AZ only gets him to 263. He would need Ohio or Florida. That's dicey as hell.

Brisket has a point. Those denying the potential impact of voter suppression and manipulation by (or in favor of) the GOP are blissfully boiling frogs. America has changed since 2016. I expect to see reports of rampant voter intimidation, seizing of ballots, court challenges, and inexplicable poll-defying tallies in key districts. This election won’t necessarily be decided by who gets the most votes.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Look at where all the polls had Hillary vs where they have Biden today.  Then note the unprecedented (since the Civil Rights era) efforts at vote suppression and election interference.  Then look at the promises to tie this up in friendly courts.  Step back, and look at the big picture.  That big picture tells you that this is and will remain a tossup.  

I'm not saying Trump is a lock (I was a lot closer to saying that in 2016 -- I very much thought he was likely to win), but I'm also not saying Biden is a lock.  There are too many fucking variables here, between turnout, interference, suppression, court shenanigans, etc.  When you run a democratic race against an undemocratic opponent whose party controls a shitload of the power apparatus, you  are at a disadvantage, even if you're more popular.

The problem is that we SHOULD be kicking out a president this truly fucking awful and evil and shitty without even worrying about it.  The fact that there's even a conversation to have tells us that we remain in a shitty place as a country.

not to derail you, because you seem to be having a pleasant afternoon here on the surl, but in regards to the courts, i was wondering if you (or some of the attys around here) could clarify how this would get to the supreme court.

i know there will be suits filed in every state biden wins, and probably some of the states trump wins, just because.  what type of ruling in what states needs to happen for this to even be an option for the supreme court to get involved.  i know there's a process, you can't just yell "nope, taking this to the supreme court", but i don't know what that exact process is for voting like this.

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Here's a map of the really fucky scenario that's actually possible. Trump outperforms polling in WI/MI significantly and pulls off surprise victories in those two, just like last time. Biden takes PA.

I gave Trump NC and GA because I assume if he wins WI/MI he's going to win those two as well, plus those two states are the Jordan and LeBron of voter suppression. 

That's a tough map for Biden. Really tough. Even AZ only gets him to 263. He would need Ohio or Florida. That's dicey as hell.

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Brisket has a point. Those denying the potential impact of voter suppression and manipulation by (or in favor of) the GOP are blissfully boiling frogs. America has changed since 2016. I expect to see reports of rampant voter intimidation, seizing of ballots, court challenges, and inexplicable poll-defying tallies in key districts. This election won’t necessarily be decided by who gets the most votes.

See these.  Too many important states remain in play.  Too many shenanigans remain in play.

1 minute ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

The only trade still up on Brisket's ledge now is the bummers and the drovers. Just the dregs

Y'all are all buying champagne to pop on election night.  Keep it in the fridge.  It won't be over for a LONG time.  And keep guaranteeing the outcome.  Wanna go back and read all the posters guaranteeing a Hillary win, and it was silly to think Trump stood a chance?  Any election involving Trump is not an ordinary, symmetrical election.  It is fucking chaos, on almost every level.

35 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

The only way Trump wins is through cheating and suppression. In a completely fair and free election, Biden wins by 10+. With the cheating, Biden will still win by 8 and thats a mudholing in today's climate. I have Biden winning 338 to Trump's 200. 

Biden needs two massive bills in the first of year in office.

1. Tie in stimulus, infrastructure, healthcare into a massive bill. Name it the American Restoration Act. When the Republicans start grumbling about the cost, ignore the fuck out of them.

2. TIe in voting rights (they are a couple of bills floating around in Congress that address same-day registration, making election day a holiday, voter rolls etc.) with Warren's Accountable Capitalism Act that addresses the money.

Basically, most of the stuff the House Dems have passed better become law next year if Dems win the trifecta. We have a backlog of policy going back to the 1980s that needs to be enacted. Thankfully, many Dems realize this even those in the proverbial center.

• Hook 'Em 6

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

THe conversation is in you and people like you are's fever dreams. This election is going to be just like any other election as I've maintained all along and then power will be transferred peacefully like it always is. I can't help the fact that some of you and yours are afraid of their own shadow or inventing problems that aren't actually there b/c a bombastic dipshit resides in the White House, but we are going to have a little fraud and a little suppression at the state level like we always have had (LBJ says thanks for all the dead votes in the cemetary's and Daley in Chicago nods sagely), that on balance is fair ish, and the result will be clear and then power will be turned over. Same as it ever was. Same as I've been telling you for almost a year. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Hrmmmm....vote share in those polls (RCP averages) on 10/6:

Florida (Hillabeast/Biden): 44.8/48.2

Pennsylvania: 46.8/50.7

Michigan: 44.3/48.6

Wisconsin: 44.3/50.2

North Carolina: 44.7/48.2

The Dog beat me to this, which he does often and which I positively hate.

The thing that facilitated Hillary's collapse in light of the Comey letter was the unusually high number of undecideds that close to the election.  People actively disliked both candidates.  The Comey letter created a permission structure to vote against Hillary.

You don't have that kind of dynamic here.  There are a lot fewer undecideds.  The result is that Biden is at or very close to a majority share already in those critical states.  Hillary was never close to polling at or above 50%.  And Biden doesn't have the negatives that Hillary did.  Not even close.

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

And let's be honest about Frank Luntz here--he's a Republican pollster.  He has an interest in pumping up Trump's chances here.  As we talked about on this thread this morning, politics has become like sports.  A low-performing team isn't going to get the same turnout/attendance as a high-performing team.  But here, unlike in sports, turnout is what actually brings about victory.

Luntz is trying to console Republicans and get them to believe Trump has a chance.  He doesn't.  But if they believe that, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy and a vicious circle.  If they think he's toast, he really is toast.  That'll hurt GOP turnout and kill downballot Republicans.

What I don't get is why you're playing into that when you know better.

This thing isn't close.  And there's actually as much evidence to indicate that the GOP's voter-suppression efforts will backfire as there is that they'll succeed.  The only source of uncertainty right now is the question of whether Donald Trump will still be alive in four weeks.

3 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

The only trade still up on Brisket's ledge now is the bummers and the drovers. Just the dregs

understand pop culture GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

not to derail you, because you seem to be having a pleasant afternoon here on the surl, but in regards to the courts, i was wondering if you (or some of the attys around here) could clarify how this would get to the supreme court.

i know there will be suits filed in every state biden wins, and probably some of the states trump wins, just because.  what type of ruling in what states needs to happen for this to even be an option for the supreme court to get involved.  i know there's a process, you can't just yell "nope, taking this to the supreme court", but i don't know what that exact process is for voting like this.

I think most states have expedited procedures to get election disputes to their own Supreme Courts, and state supreme court decisions can go straight to the US Supreme Court, which they can expedite. I think that's how Bush v. Gore got to SCOTUS quickly.

18 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You should also give Trump California and New York. Then it gets really tough for Biden. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

The Dog beat me to this, which he does often and which I positively hate.

The thing that facilitated Hillary's collapse in light of the Comey letter was the unusually high number of undecideds that close to the election.  People actively disliked both candidates.  The Comey letter created a permission structure to vote against Hillary.

You don't have that kind of dynamic here.  There are a lot fewer undecideds.  The result is that Biden is at or very close to a majority share already in those critical states.  Hillary was never close to polling at or above 50%.  And Biden doesn't have the negatives that Hillary did.  Not even close.

And let's be honest about Frank Luntz here--he's a Republican pollster.  He has an interest in pumping up Trump's chances here.  As we talked about on this thread this morning, politics has become like sports.  A low-performing team isn't going to get the same turnout/attendance as a high-performing team.  But here, unlike in sports, turnout is what actually brings about victory.

Luntz is trying to console Republicans and get them to believe Trump has a chance.  He doesn't.  But if they believe that, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy and a vicious circle.  If they think he's toast, he really is toast.  That'll hurt GOP turnout and kill downballot Republicans.

What I don't get is why you're playing into that when you know better.

This thing isn't close.  And there's actually as much evidence to indicate that the GOP's voter-suppression efforts will backfire as there is that they'll succeed.  The only source of uncertainty right now is the question of whether Donald Trump will still be alive in four weeks.

You misread me or I misread you. I started one of my posts with Luntz is a clown so I'm not playing into anything counselor. Unless you mean responding to Briskets bit, in which case I would say- how do you know my bit isn't to explain to brisket why he's wrong, as patiently as possible, while he engages in histrionics.  Some 4D chess in that thought, right?

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It was actually on last night.  I tuned in a few times to watch some key Doc Holliday scenes, because it was Kilmer's best performance ever.

Wyatt Earp ain't coming to save us though.  Nobody is.  We the People are our own Wyatt Earp.....have "We the People" particularly impressed you in recent years?  Yeah, I thought not.

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You misread me or I misread you. I started one of my posts with Luntz is a clown so I'm not playing into anything counselor. Unless you mean responding to Briskets bit, in which case I would say- how do you know my bit isn't to explain to brisket why he's wrong, as patiently as possible, while he engages in histrionics.  Some 4D chess in that thought, right?

Why don't you ask GOLL how often I've been wrong vs. how often I've been right about this shit for the past 4-5 years?  He knows.  And he'll tell you, even though perhaps the thing he hates most in the world is saying "Brisket was right."

Faith in the American people and our institutions is a loser's game.  Might they survive to fight another day after November?  Yeah...maybe (but don't count those chickens).  But the damage has been done.  And it won't be undone for a generation, if ever.

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sorry--I intended my comments to respond to @Brisketexan.

By the way, in case anybody thought Trump was going to come through with some great triumph, he just broke off talks with House Dems for a second round of stimulus.

Here's the real issue with this campaign: if Trump were to run the pandemic response/economic recovery in a competent manner, he'd have a really good chance of winning.  Like, he'd be the favorite.  But that would require Trump to be competent.  And that is one thing of which Donald Trump is incapable of being.

This race is very stable because it's a race against an incumbent.  And the incumbent is uniformly incompetent.  It is a very different dynamic from 2016.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

and all of Brisket's handwringing still does not factor in the shift we saw in 2018 and the one we're seeing now in newly registered voters, coupled with old ones dying off. No one is declaring victory yet - not by a longshot. To say otherwise is disingenuous, at best. This is CLEARLY not the same race as 2016 and the demographic shift in the last four years will make this election markedly different than the last one. Biden is not Hillary, and all attempts to demonize him have largely fallen flat. A lot of previous R voters are flat out turned off by this orange demon and will gladly pull the D lever to get his ass out of OUR house.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

By the way, in case anybody thought Trump was going to come through with some great triumph, he just broke off talks with House Dems for a second round of stimulus.

Here's the real issue with this campaign: if Trump were to run the pandemic response/economic recovery in a competent manner, he'd have a really good chance of winning.  Like, he'd be the favorite.  But that would require Trump to be competent.  And that is one thing of which Donald Trump is incapable of being.

This race is very stable because it's a race against an incumbent.  And the incumbent is uniformly incompetent.  It is a very different dynamic from 2016.

Yeah- he is indeed playing into shit he knows better. It’s obvious. Thus my calling it out as performance art 

I mean- I know it isn’t really, but it kind of really is. 

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

it's been said again and again.  covid gave trump the platform to win reelection.  it wouldn't have even been that hard.

instead, his strategy made it look like he was trying to botch the response, and then he contracted the disease himself.  not an easy feat.

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

and all of Brisket's handwringing still does not factor in the shift we saw in 2018 and the one we're seeing now in newly registered voters, coupled with old ones dying off. No one is declaring victory yet - not by a longshot. To say otherwise is disingenuous, at best. This is CLEARLY not the same race as 2016 and the demographic shift in the last four years will make this election markedly different than the last one. Biden is not Hillary, and all attempts to demonize him have largely fallen flat. A lot of previous R voters are flat our turned off by this orange demon and will gladly pull the D lever to get his ass out of OUR house.

I hope you are right.  I truly and genuinely do.  And several factors certainly have changed since 2016....both positive and negative.

Just one simple question -- do you think DeSantis is going to allow a free and fair vote in Florida?  That's just one example.  We have a criminal cult in charge of the levers of power in a shitload of crucial states.  Thinking that we have functioning institutions as opposed to criminal-controlled bullshit is a dangerous delusion.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Why don't you ask GOLL how often I've been wrong vs. how often I've been right about this shit for the past 4-5 years?  He knows.  And he'll tell you, even though perhaps the thing he hates most in the world is saying "Brisket was right."

Faith in the American people and our institutions is a loser's game.  Might they survive to fight another day after November?  Yeah...maybe (but don't count those chickens).  But the damage has been done.  And it won't be undone for a generation, if ever.

Your record 3-5 years ago was pretty good.  But you've gone on a losing streak starting in 2018.  You didn't think the Dems would take the House; you were way wrong.  You didn't think the Dems would do very well in Texas; you were wrong (we took the five most important intermediate courts of appeals).  You thought the Dems would have a long and self-destructive primary fight; you were wrong.

You had a hot hand.  But your luck's turned.  I'll put my money on the Don't Pass bar if you're the shooter, thank you very much.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So this motherfucker is out of his gourd right now. He just told the negotiators to break off stimulus talks until after the election.

He's trailing Biden by 9 points, stimulus bill polled at about 75%, and Democrats were gonna let him mail a 1200 dollar check to every American with his name on it and he was like "nah".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Your record 3-5 years ago was pretty good.  But you've gone on a losing streak starting in 2018.  You didn't think the Dems would take the House; you were way wrong.  You didn't think the Dems would do very well in Texas; you were wrong (we took the five most important intermediate courts of appeals).  You thought the Dems would have a long and self-destructive primary fight; you were wrong.

You repeated "10. Point. Win." every time the Alabama Senator race was mentioned.

You had a hot hand.  But your luck's turned.  I'll put my money on the Don't Pass bar if you're the shooter, thank you very much.

added

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I hope you are right.  I truly and genuinely do.  And several factors certainly have changed since 2016....both positive and negative.

Just one simple question -- do you think DeSantis is going to allow a free and fair vote in Florida?  That's just one example.  We have a criminal cult in charge of the levers of power in a shitload of crucial states.  Thinking that we have functioning institutions as opposed to criminal-controlled bullshit is a dangerous delusion.

man, I don't fucking know. all I know is that with all the scrutiny these crooks receive, it seems harder and harder for them to away with that bullshit. I expect a lawsuit against Abbott any second now for closing down ballot drop off locations. They can try, but it might be too little, too late. Again, we'll see. All I can do is vote, encourage like-minded people to do the same, and somehow convince the yokel contingent in the my family that election day is 4 November.

28 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

...but in regards to the courts, i was wondering if you (or some of the attys around here) could clarify how this would get to the supreme court.

Would get? It is already getting there. See the reversal of South Carolina yesterday, and Pennsylvania's high court ruling to facilitate voting is on the radar. I expect the challenge to Abbott's six-day extension for early voting to reach the SCOTUS as well. Three justices are ready and willing to toss ballots altogether (Thomas, Alito, and Gorsuch) and they just need Roberts and one-more to wreck shop. They don't need to eliminate millions of ballots, only a few thousand here and there.

21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

You should also give Trump California and New York. Then it gets really tough for Biden. 

Dumb.

You're saying it's unreasonable to give Trump a chance to win the same states that he won last time? Two states in which he outperformed polling by 5% from polls->election, and which he is currently trailing by about 5-6% in the polls?

Edited by BradInATX

SIAP -- this thread moves pretty fast.

https://www.valleycentral.com/news/state-news/robinson-police-are-investigating-offensive-letters-sent-to-homeowners/

The Robinson Police Department is looking into letters with threatening language sent to several homes in one neighborhood.

Investigators are looking into the different federal and state statutes and agencies to see who needs to be informed about the letters, according to a Facebook post.

FOX44 News has obtained a copy of the letter, which includes numerous expletives and insults towards homeowners who have placed political signs in their yards supporting the Biden/Harris campaign.

You can read the letter below. We have blacked out some of the more extreme language:

Robinson Police tell FOX44 News that officers are trying to determine if this letter rises to the level of voter intimidation.

According to the post on Facebook, the department would like to talk to anyone who knows anything about the letter. The email is dispatch@robinsontexas.org.

image.thumb.png.cbe2a1861de9f2f00d54d2eddaaba23e.png

19 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

THe conversation is in you and people like you are's fever dreams. This election is going to be just like any other election as I've maintained all along and then power will be transferred peacefully like it always is. I can't help the fact that some of you and yours are afraid of their own shadow or inventing problems that aren't actually there b/c a bombastic dipshit resides in the White House, but we are going to have a little fraud and a little suppression at the state level like we always have had (LBJ says thanks for all the dead votes in the cemetary's and Daley in Chicago nods sagely), that on balance is fair ish, and the result will be clear and then power will be turned over. Same as it ever was. Same as I've been telling you for almost a year. 

For me, one of the more important things that Biden did during the debate was to give the firm reassurance that if Trump loses the election, there’s nothing he can do about it. In all the chaos, I found it calming.

4 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

added

I"m pretty sure the fucker still owes me $100.00 on that. I made him make a bet b/c I was so fucking sick and tired of hearing that shit- it was terrible.  
Then, I told him he could pay by buying $100 worth of food and donating that to the foodbank and posting a picture that said- you were right Wulaw you were right b/c when I gamble on the internet it's always going to be A) for a good cause and B) to shut someone up that's being ridiculous and should know better.  

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Brisket:elections :: Anastasis:Mueller

#stuckbutton

Not unfair.

And I dream of being not just wrong, but wildly wrong.  Of seeing an undeniable Biden landslide.  Of seeing it being so big and obvious that the election is called Tuesday night.  I want that.  I want it very, very badly.

I dare not hope for that.  There's a lot that I want that I've learned not to hope for.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, G650 said:

So this motherfucker is out of his gourd right now. He just told the negotiators to break off stimulus talks until after the election.

He's trailing Biden by 9 points, stimulus bill polled at about 75%, and Democrats were gonna let him mail a 1200 dollar check to every American with his name on it and he was like "nah".

So much this, wtf is he thinking!?  In what world is this a political win?