Texas basketball 2020-21: Not even Shaka can fuck this up...right?

Goo Punch

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

if it makes you feel any better jimmyjazz, you're easily one of my favorite psychos on this board. your childish and incendiary posting combined with your complete lack of self awareness is damn hilarious. you hated Derka and you became him, without any of the substance. again, hilarious stuff. 

Ouch.  Such a withering critique from a sock who apparently thinks we don't know who you are.

"Self awareness" is #1 with a bullet coming from you.

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Got dammit, Derka.

If your argument is that Texas certainly would've lost to Baylor had that game not been cancelled on account of COVID, then you are obligated to extend that exercise to the games that the Longhorns were unfairly forced to play (and then got fucked over by one-sided officiating).

If Texas is allowed to play the first OU game with a full-strength squad and least been able to practice and prepare prior to the WVU rematch, then instead of two narrow losses, it sweeps both teams and finishes in sole possession of second place. That's my argument, and whether you agree or disagree, it's the same sort of extrapolation that you're applying to make yours.

You know I am no Shaka fanboi. I don't think anyone here is, but Texas has a good team and its OK to acknowledge that.

i don't understand any of this post, or this argument in general, because the ENTIRE THING is based on the clearly ridiculous and factually inaccurate statement that Texas getting the conference 3 seed irrefutably means that Texas is out ahead in the middle of the pack in this league. what a stupid fucking straw man argument that is on its face lazy and wrong.

"Texas has a good team and it's ok to acknowledge that" you say. WTF does that have to do with anything?!?!?! who said otherwise??? the middle of the pack in this conference is nothing but good teams! and Texas, *clearly*, based on all statistical and empirical evidence, belongs to that "middle of the pack in this league." 

im sorry if my decision to delve further than WE THE THREE SEED SO WE BETTER THAN EVERYBODY has hurt some feelings, but y'all can go ahead and get the fuck over it. we went 3-5 in the regular season against these teams. this is not come wild opinion, this is not som me anti-shaka smart post, this is simple fucking fact. Texas is not clearly superior to a bunch of teams who we went 1-1 or 1-2 against. jesus fucking christ, how is that such a controversial take???

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

Texas is not clearly superior to a bunch of teams who we went 1-1 or 1-2 against. jesus fucking christ, how is that such a controversial take???

How are we against the clear top 2 teams in the conference?  You know, the ones we went 2-1 against?

God damn, you really need to dial back your self-estimation of your intelligence.

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Ouch.  Such a withering critique from a sock who apparently thinks we don't know who you are.

"Self awareness" is #1 with a bullet coming from you.

lmooooo. you seriously believe that? that's fucking hilarious, that's the exact type of thing i'm talking about. holy shit you make me laugh. i hate to break this to you, but you're literally the only person here who thinks that i'm "hiding behind a sock", or that i "think y'all don't know who i am."

yeah, that's why i refer to myself as Derka, post stories about my dad, post stories about my last, post actual videos of me referring to myself as Derka, post about about where i work, what city i'm from, where i went to HS, go on immamac's podcast referring to myself as "Derka", and so on, and so forth. seriously, classic stuff jimmy. 😂 

Edited by shadow_operative

i'm just going to post this one more and then go outside and shoot some hoops, because this is the dumbest conversation i've taken part in in a long time. here is the bottom line:

Texas is not clearly superior to a bunch of teams who we went 1-1 or 1-2 against over the course of the season. duh.

anyone who has a problem with that ^^^ isn't worth engaging.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

lmooooo. you seriously believe that? that's fucking hilarious, that's the exact type of thing i'm talking about. holy shit you make me laugh. i hate to break this to you, but you're literally the only person here who thinks that i'm "hiding behind a sock", or that i "think y'all don't know who i am." yeaaaaah, exactly. that's why i refer to myself as Derka, post stories about my dad, post actual videos of me ranting towards shaggy posters, post about about where i work, what city i'm from, where i went to HS, go on immamac's podcast as "Derka", and so on, and so forth. classic stuff jimmy. 😂 

Then stop talking about yourself in the third person.

you hated Derka and you became him

You're so fucking easy.  Go shoot those hoops, hooper.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

How are we against the clear top 2 teams in the conference?  You know, the ones we went 2-1 against?

God damn, you really need to dial back your self-estimation of your intelligence.

You set the parameters here as our conference tourney seeds delineating where the middle of the pack began (all seed below Texas). That was your parameter. In reality Kansas is right there in that "middle of the pack" along with Texas, WVU, TTU, OU, and OSU. Baylor is the only team in this league who has separated itself from the pack. throw in Kansas and we went 5-5 during the regular season against "the middle of the pack". 

listen, i know when i'm being incendiary, and this ain't one of those times. calling Texas a middle of the pack team in this league (which translates into a top 20-25 team nationally) after playing .500 ball against said "middle of the pack" should be the least controversial opinion ever. but hey, "only on shaggy", right?

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Damn, dude.  Seek help.

that's your response? to that ^^ post?  well, i'll give you this: the facts may not be on your side, and you can't form an argument any deeper than "3 seed", but at least you're also combative and insulting. 👍🏼 

top of the league: 

Baylor

bottom of the league: 

KSU, TCU, ISU

middle of the pack: Texas, KU, OU, OSU, TTU, WVU

super controversial stuff that's definitely worth freaking out over. 

Shaka did basically what was expected this year.  I can give him OU and WVU and 2nd in the conf.   I still don't think he can win the conf(this was the year), I don't think he can make it past the sweet 16 this year, he can recruit well, and is a below average  coach(given the entire resume at Texas).  I still want him fired but good for him and the players this year.  It was about time.

It's like when Mackovic beat Nebraska.  "Man this is great!" but you already know how it ends because there is too much WTF. 

Maybe I'll be wrong but I think I'm right. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Jesus, Derka.  Shut the fuck up.  You are literally arguing possibilities over reality. 

We finished 3rd out of 10.  That is not "middle of the pack".  Stop bowing up to any and everyone who would dare question you hysterical takes.  Nobody gives a fuck.

Muthafucker literally screencaps our schedule sans a 4th of our conference wins and then proceeds to use it to argue why we're not really as good as our record shows. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

47 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Muthafucker literally screencaps our schedule sans a 4th of our conference wins and then proceeds to use it to argue why we're not really as good as our record shows. 

is that what happened? yeah i don't think so. it's so funny how upset you guys get over my posts and yet you can't even characterize them honestly, much less actually quote them and/or respond to what the posts say. all i've said is that we are in that middle of the pack of Big XII, which we clearly are, which has somehow caused jj over here to lose his mind and go in the warpath. like i said, its peak Derka behavior. 

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

LMAO that Okie State beats the stuffing out of Baylor yet I'm the idiot.

when did i call you an idiot? why can't you ever address the things that i actually post? why do insist on being insulting and combative without even pretending to want to have an honest discussion? and finally, how are you unable to see all of this feel ashamed about it? 

@Catdaddyhorn and @jimmyjazz

here is the original post which was deemed to be so eye rollingly insane:

conclusion: we are a middle-of-the-pack Big XII team that neither punches too high above nor too low below its own weight. any game against a clearly inferior team should be won; any game against a good team is a toss up; and don't hold your breath on beating any great teams.

either give your first honest, adult response to this idea, or shut. the. fuck. up. if you disagree with this take, then say your piece without being an insulting fucking jackass. i personally don't see how anyone who has followed this team throughout this season could take too much issue with the above statement, but if you do take issue with it then at least post like a fucking adult. no matter what you do, get the fuck over the absolutely insane idea that you are not acting like peak Derka in this thread with your anger, belligerence, and insulting posts. you are the one who took it there and yet you sit there acting as if you're the fucking  reasonable one. fuck out of here. 

4 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

When are you not livid?

the overwhelming majority of the time i post here. that's a fact. however, when some sniveling twat who has whined for years about threads being "derka'd" responds to my basketball related posts with, "JESUS CHRIST SHUT THE FUCK UP DERKA" (all irony completely lost on him), then my tone tends to change. 

Just now, shadow_operative said:

the overwhelming majority of the time i post here. that's a fact. however, when some sniveling twat who has whined for years about threads being "derka'd" responds to my basketball related posts with, "JESUS CHRIST SHUT THE FUCK UP DERKA" (all irony completely lost on him), then my tone  tends to change. 

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

btw, how is showing our decline from early january by posting that portion of our schedule *any* different or less genuine than when the old Rick Barnes teams would fade as conference play went on and people weren't thrilled with it? 

i didn't make any claims about the schedule that weren't true, i didn't do anything disingenuous, i literally just posted our results from January 6th to the end of the season and then gave my takeaway. you didn't feel strongly enough at the time to quote me and disagree, yet you've since been over here in the sideline just stewing as i defend my position against captain twatwaffle. far as i can tell you don't even disagree with my take, you just don't like the way i comport myself when someone is an asshole to me. 

20 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

conclusion: we are a middle-of-the-pack Big XII team that neither punches too high above nor too low below its own weight. any game against a clearly inferior team should be won; any game against a good team is a toss up; and don't hold your breath on beating any great teams.

either give your first honest, adult response to this idea, or shut. the. fuck. up. 

Could you be a  more gigantic, gaping vagina?  Here was the entire post that sent you into Derka-land.  Crimony.  If you can't handle this very slight sideswipe then you really need to self-assess.

Only on surly would a team that finished 3rd in a 10 team league be characterized as "middle of the pack".

I get the pessimism going forward, but it's odd to dismiss on-court results.  The only counter I can imagine is the fact that we didn't suffer a 2nd loss to Baylor, but that's not the only oddity this year.

The real bummer is the likelihood that Shaka will be back next year, and we. are. going. to. SUCK.

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Could you be a  more gigantic, gaping vagina?  Here was the entire post that sent you into Derka-land.  Crimony.  If you can't handle this very slight sideswipe then you really need to self-assess.

"sent me into derka land"? lol. wrong. i responded to that post without derka'ing the thread, it was you who couldn't handle my own "very slight side swipe" back at you. when i replied to that post *you* went all JESUS CHRIST SHUT THE FUCK UP DERKA out of nowhere. that was you. not me. you continue to be completely self deluded. 

52 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

either give your first honest, adult response to this idea, or shut. the. fuck. up. if you disagree with this take, then say your piece without being an insulting fucking jackass. i personally don't see how anyone who has followed this team throughout this season could take too much issue with the above statement, but if you do take issue with it then at least post like a fucking adult. no matter what you do, get the fuck over the absolutely insane idea that you are not acting like peak Derka in this thread with your anger, belligerence, and insulting posts. you are the one who took it there and yet you sit there acting as if you're the fucking  reasonable one. fuck out of here. 

The issue with said post is the insinuation that a mid-tier Big XII team is somehow a mid-tier national team. You reinforce this when you say "should win against shit teams, might win against good teams, won't beat great teams". That usually describes middle of the pack Power 5 teams EVERY year, but is a disingenuous evaluation of the Big XII this year.

This year the Big XII is :

Elite - Baylor

Great - Ku, TX, WVU, OSU,

Good - Tech, OU

Fair - TCU

Poor - KSU, ISU

There's are 4 elite teams in the country - Zags, Baylor, Michigan, Illinois. The middle-of-the-pack Big XII teams are ranked 10,11,12,13. Because the AP does what it always does, those four teams slide down a peg when they all go .500 against each other. 

There are about 10-12 Great teams behind those Elite teams (including Texas) that I outlined above, and you decreed that every single one was better than Texas. That's bullshit. Why do I think Texas is better than those teams? 6 wins against teams in the current AP Top 25, and zero losses to teams outside the Top 25. Zero. How the fuck does that translate to "any game against a good team is a toss up" ? 

And all of that is before allowing for extenuating circumstances that you refuse to acknowledge. You continue to harp on the team's poor performance over a 1 week period immediately following a COVID outbreak that resulted in no practices, no preparation, and who knows what kind of physical toll . And even with all that, we lost a 1 pt game to OU and a 2-OT game to OSU.

If you want to talk shit about this team, talk about giving away huge leads at home vs. WVU & TTU, or the shit sandwich we dropped in Lubbock. Those are really the only wtf losses on the season.

It's unfortunate that your desire to shit on this team prevents you from actually enjoying this team, or acknowledging that we've had a really good season. Outside of the aforementioned Top 4 teams, I fully expect that we are just a bout a pick 'em or better against every other team in the country.

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 5

38 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

btw, how is showing our decline from early january by posting that portion of our schedule *any* different or less genuine than when the old Rick Barnes teams would fade as conference play went on and people weren't thrilled with it? 

i didn't make any claims about the schedule that weren't true, i didn't do anything disingenuous, i literally just posted our results from January 6th to the end of the season and then gave my takeaway. you didn't feel strongly enough at the time to quote me and disagree, yet you've since been over here in the sideline just stewing as i defend my position against captain twatwaffle. far as i can tell you don't even disagree with my take, you just don't like the way i comport myself when someone is an asshole to me. 

Dude.  You were making assumptions that TX would lose to Baylor and thus be the 5th best team in the Big 12.  One could also make the assumption that we were screwed out of 2 victories due to being forced to play two games with half a team.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

The issue with said post is the insinuation that a mid-tier Big XII team is somehow a mid-tier national team. You reinforce this when you say "should win against shit teams, might win against good teams, won't beat great teams". 

you may have inferred that, but i did not insinuate anything about middle-of-the-pack B12 teams being mid tier national teams. in fact, you responded to this post and when i responded back i made more clear what i was saying:

most previous iterations of Shaka teams could lose to anyone and then beat anyone on any given night. this team is much more predictable- we very likely won't beat most of the better teams in the country, we will very likely beat any team that's not very good, and we will be a coin flip to beat teams #10-40-ish in the country. feels like round of 32 is a floor, and S16 is a ceiling, barring upsets on the other side of the bracket. 

i probably should have said we would be a coin flip against teams ranked between #10 and maybe more like #35, but either way i've only got us as underdogs against the top 9 teams in the country. i don't feel that that's very ambiguous. it shows that i see us as Sweet 16-good, but probably not Elite 8-good. which is also pretty much how i feel about the rest of the B12 tourney teams not named Baylor. maybe Cade Cunningham goes all Carmelo on everyone and proves me wrong. 

the overwhelming majority of the time i post here. that's a fact. however, when some sniveling twat who has whined for years about threads being "derka'd" responds to my basketball related posts with, "JESUS CHRIST SHUT THE FUCK UP DERKA" (all irony completely lost on him), then my tone tends to change. 

Why? He’s a sniveling twat. Why do you care so much what one sniveling twat thinks? Is it worth Derkaing up a thread? I came here for some fun and what I got is depressing. Just stop.

Well apparently Derka has gone down for the night, so my words of wisdom will fall on deaf ears. I do want to say, you guys shouldn’t incite him so much. He was obviously in the midst of a meltdown and you guys really exasperated it. It was kinda funny though. But still! Bad Surly!

27 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Why? He’s a sniveling twat. Why do you care so much what one sniveling twat thinks? Is it worth Derkaing up a thread? I came here for some fun and what I got is depressing. Just stop.

no, it isn't. it never is, and i always regret it afterward, but shit man, i've got issues "staying professional" so to speak. that's not to say that i haven't made progress- there's plenty of sideways talk that takes place here that doesn't upset me, but yesterday was not my best day, and i dove head first into the whole thing, and then didn't let up. it's all good though. it won't bleed into today (Saturday). i stand by everything i said, but i do regret participating in the total derailment of the thread. it's my bad, my blunder. 

• Hook 'Em 2

and fwiw- and maybe i'm wrong here; you can tell me if so- but fwiw, one of the factors in play when I do decide to participate in the derailment of a thread like this, is the fact that so many come here to express how upset they are with me, yet none do the same towards jimmyjazz. it's a pattern that played out often when this happens, and for me it's a double standard.

when someone says to me "jesus christ derka shut the fuck up", for no real reason/without making a single earnest counterpoint to what i've said, and i then react poorly, then to me there is blame to go around. instead, jimmyjazz gets beacoup pos rep for being insulting and combative, and i get admonished by five different people for not taking it well. again, for me this is a clear double standard.

also- i'm not saying that  this is right, but in light of this dynamic, my mentality in these situations often becomes, "fuck everyone, i'm digging in; if everyone is all pissy and mad at me yet no one is going to acknowledge that i didn't just up and derail this thread by myself, then i'm going to just keep coming back and fighting with jj until he quits."

again, it's immature, and self defeating, and just plain stupid, which i obviously see now, but it's where my head goes when i feel like im being singled out for what was, to me, clearly a two person fuck-up. if anyone here feels that i'm totally to blame and that jj is blameless then my mind is open to hearing you explain why that is. and if anyone here thinks that jj played an equal role in this thread derailment, then i will wonder aloud why none of you ever speak up when the shit is going down. imo, giving blame where blame is due may help to dissuade people from coming at *me* of all people with some "fuck you/stfu" type business and then acting surprised and blameless when i don't respond well to that. 

• Fuck You 1

I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that those that have watched Texas this year have plenty of criticisms.  I do as well, and this isn't a defense; just an observation.  (Note: I've bitched about the team this year as well.)

But, to an outsider, do you know how insane we look bitching about a team that made the conference championship of the most difficult conference in the country AND will probably be a 3 seed; maybe even a 2?  Can we just enjoy the moment for once and see what happens?  

• Hook 'Em 1

I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that those that have watched Texas this year have plenty of criticisms.  I do as well, and this isn't a defense; just an observation.  (Note: I've bitched about the team this year as well.)
But, to an outsider, do you know how insane we look bitching about a team that made the conference championship of the most difficult conference in the country AND will probably be a 3 seed; maybe even a 2?  Can we just enjoy the moment for once and see what happens?  

I have to admit, I think the sane thing when perusing a basketball game thread here. Some of these guys just seem miserable.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I have to admit, I think the sane thing when perusing a basketball game thread here. Some of these guys just seem miserable.

I was expecting like a 9 seed preseason and yeah losing to tech twice stung, same with that ou OT game at home but yeah. It’s been a pretty fun season. Just sucks knowing we’re gonna need to out athlete and hope Coleman, Jones or Ramey and most recently Febres to get hot from the arc to make it past the sweet 16. Shit even the opening weekend if we draw a salty 14 or 6 seed that’s well coached 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

and fwiw- and maybe i'm wrong here; you can tell me if so- but fwiw, one of the factors in play when I do decide to participate in the derailment of a thread like this, is the fact that so many come here to express how upset they are with me, yet none do the same towards jimmyjazz. it's a pattern that played out often when this happens, and for me it's a double standard.

when someone says to me "jesus christ derka shut the fuck up", for no real reason/without making a single earnest counterpoint to what i've said, and i then react poorly, then to me there is blame to go around. instead, jimmyjazz gets beacoup pos rep for being insulting and combative, and i get admonished by five different people for not taking it well. again, for me this is a clear double standard.

also- i'm not saying that  this is right, but in light of this dynamic, my mentality in these situations often becomes, "fuck everyone, i'm digging in; if everyone is all pissy and mad at me yet no one is going to acknowledge that i didn't just up and derail this thread by myself, then i'm going to just keep coming back and fighting with jj until he quits."

again, it's immature, and self defeating, and just plain stupid, which i obviously see now, but it's where my head goes when i feel like im being singled out for what was, to me, clearly a two person fuck-up. if anyone here feels that i'm totally to blame and that jj is blameless then my mind is open to hearing you explain why that is. and if anyone here thinks that jj played an equal role in this thread derailment, then i will wonder aloud why none of you ever speak up when the shit is going down. imo, giving blame where blame is due may help to dissuade people from coming at *me* of all people with some "fuck you/stfu" type business and then acting surprised and blameless when i don't respond well to that. 

Jesus Christ Derka, shut the fuck up

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I won't poke the bear, but I don't think my initial post was controversial or even inflammatory.  I don't agree that the 'horns are a "middle of the pack" team in the Big XII.

I should take the higher road than I sometimes do, but to me, language matters and when Texas fans intentionally misstate fact in order to bolster a viewpoint that doesn't need bolstering (Shaka sucks), it drives me nuts.

Anyway, I look forward to a rematch with Okie State.  Fuck Baylor.