Ex Cop and son kill unarmed black man jogging

purplepride95

42 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

South Georgia fuckface

4e816bcc162476adeccb795a3d17f532.png

I think we all can agree that Atlanta is probably a pretty racially progressive place.

But I think it might be a mistake to conclude that the rest of the state is not.

Although Savannah is as deep south as you want to get, it's my impression that the artistic community there renders it a pretty progressive place.  Maybe that's just a veneer.  And it's not as rural-ish as these more southern reaches of the state.

Clearly, here, we have two prosecutors that are mired in the status quo (protecting cops at all cost), if not outright racist.  And a couple of Cletii that are pretty severely racist. But the third prosecutor seems on track to do the right thing and I wonder if Glynn County, where presumably any trial would take place, is so racist as to avoid impaneling a fair-minded jury.

You were RV camping. I’m 41, about to be 42. I’ve heard a lot of racist jokes. I don’t think I’ve heard one in 5 years, maybe 10.  I think what happened here was an ex LEO acting above the law. I know a few ex LEO and they’re all passionate about catching people committing crimes, all avid hunters, and avid gun nuts. Certainly with this guy, he passed his racial profiling inherent with any LEO job (still today) onto his son, probably at a very early age. No way a death would’ve occurred with a white jogger. 
All this to say, I don’t think this an example of racism getting worse. I think his ex LEO status and the viral nature of social media are amplifying something that would’ve happened any time in the past. 
What should come out of this is serious jail time for his son. It should be made a big deal, and hopefully that example will set other like minded individuals on a path of following the jogger and calling police. 

There’s one thing I’m very sure of: the people who NEED to learn that last lesson are the exact people who won’t.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think we all can agree that Atlanta is probably a pretty racially progressive place.

But I think it might be a mistake to conclude that the rest of the state is not.

Although Savannah is as deep south as you want to get, it's my impression that the artistic community there renders it a pretty progressive place.  Maybe that's just a veneer.  And it's not as rural-ish as these more southern reaches of the state.

Clearly, here, we have two prosecutors that are mired in the status quo (protecting cops at all cost), if not outright racist.  And a couple of Cletii that are pretty severely racist. But the third prosecutor seems on track to do the right thing and I wonder if Glynn County, where presumably any trial would take place, is so racist as to avoid impaneling a fair-minded jury.

I’m stealing Cletii.

40 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This kind of incident would happen in any state in the union. This is no indictment on GA. How they handle it should be how they’re judged.

These people need to be punished severely as a deterrent to would be vigilantes. 

Great take. 

25 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

What should come out of this is serious jail time for his son. It should be made a big deal, and hopefully that example will set other like minded individuals on a path of following the jogger and calling police. 

Also great take. 

25 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’ve heard a lot of racist jokes. I don’t think I’ve heard one in 5 years, maybe 10.

Whilst drinking beer in the driveway and letting the kids all play last night, a neighbor from down the street dropped the n bomb.

I’ve never met this guy “officially” before, but have waved and said hello to his wife casually for several years.  Dude is asian (I think viet) and wife is Eastern Bloc somewhere.  It took me back immediately. He immediately said, “sorry to be rude, I mean black people”. I think my face probably said it all. This shit is everywhere. I mean I’ve said 30 words to this guy at this point, and we were discussing what he does for work, and boom, N-bomb.  Work discussion n-bomb while at a kids playing in yard situation wtf?

*my community is diverse in age, and nationality. 300-ish to 600-ish.  I know you are more entrenched with the 1% up there Dr Beeper, but there’s still plenty around. More than 5-10 year occurrences. Hell 5-10 months more likely.  

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

A long time ago my AIT was in Augusta.   Went to the mall with some African American soldiers and we saw a young white kid with a pic of mlk being targeted by a rifle scope.  I asked my fellow soldiers if they were pissed and if they wanted to confront this kid and they just said “man we would get into a fight every day if we let this bother us.  It’s the south”

On 5/5/2020 at 3:25 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

He’d be alive if he stopped. If he was notorious for running and wasn’t stealing anything (I am not speculating that he was; it was suggested in the original article), it’s an inconvenience that will eventually lead to you clearing your name. I don’t know what it’s like to be black and hate watching killings like that. And some people may say “it’s a major inconvenience to be black and have to put up with that shit.”  I agree, but it’s a minor inconvenience when you are left with your life. 

Makes me glad I have a treadmill. 

Everybody take note-- this is called "BLAMING THE VICTIM".

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

No. Victim is not at fault for what occurred to him. Could he have saved his own life?  Yeah, probably. 

If he had been a good darkie and listened to the white man's commands there's a chance they wouldn't have had to shoot him. But he kept thinking he was a free man. Stupid nagger.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I've entered plenty of homes under construction when just the framing is up. My neighborhood wasn't completed when I moved in. I mean I didn't give a crap about them but my wife loves looking at different houses and she would go to all the homes under construction and look around the framing and try to predict what was what then look at the pictures when it was finished and up for sale. So I got dragged along on dog walks around the neighborhood.

We were never chased and shot, though, so probably a different deal.

i have done this a half a dozen times while going for a walk in my neighborhood, usually spur of the moment. I find homes under construction fascinating, often looking for ideas on a remodel for my house.

i know in the back of my head that it's probably not the right thing to do, but i figure the worst that could happen would be the owner or the contractor happens to drive up and asks me to leave.

Never been shot for it.

1 minute ago, yoladu said:

i have done this a half a dozen times while going for a walk in my neighborhood, usually spur of the moment. I find homes under construction fascinating, often looking for ideas on a remodel for my house.

i know in the back of my head that it's probably not the right thing to do, but i figure the worst that could happen would be the owner or the contractor happens to drive up and asks me to leave.

Never been shot for it.

You're obviously pasty white.

As someone who is in the middle of a renovation (down to studs, moving walls, adding on, not living there), I get very irritated when people tell me that they went in my house recently and comment on it. I’m nice about it, but you went in my fucking house without asking?  WTF?  Why would anyone think that’s ok?

These guys deserve to fry, but this seemed like the appropriate thread to complain. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

As someone who is in the middle of a renovation (down to studs, moving walls, adding on, not living there), I get very irritated when people tell me that they went in my house recently and comment on it. I’m nice about it, but you went in my fucking house without asking?  WTF?  Why would anyone think that’s ok?

These guys deserve to fry, but this seemed like the appropriate thread to complain. 

We had some people bop in to our house mid build and run into us while were inspecting the work. They were pretty embarrassed, made up a BS reason to be there and made a quick exit. 

12 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I think that’s a complete cop out.  Georgia AG is an identifiable person and political candidate. DOJ is nameless faceless alphabet agency.    DOJ concludes shooters did nothing wrong and AG doesn’t prosecute and washes his hands of the whole situation. “Not my call, I know the evidence shows that a couple of fat vigilantes senselessly ended the life of a young man for at worst entering a home under construction but my hands are tied. The DOJ said it was a good shoot. Case closed.”

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

I think that’s a complete cop out.  Georgia AG is an identifiable person and political candidate. DOJ is nameless faceless alphabet agency.    DOJ concludes shooters did nothing wrong and AG doesn’t prosecute and washes his hands of the whole situation. “Not my call, I know the evidence shows that a couple of fat vigilantes senselessly ended the life of a young man for at worst entering a home under construction but my hands are tied. The DOJ said it was a good shoot. Case closed.”

Well, the Georgia AG is not asking the DOJ to handle the murder/assault case.  It's asking that it investigate the investigation, i.e. the Glynn County cops (who, despite their previous dysfunction seem blameless), DA Johnson and DA Barnhill, and anyone else responsible for the 90-day delay in charging and arresting the Cletii when there is so much probable cause that a crime was committed.

Really, though, it's the Georgia AG that should take first crack at investigating corruptly influenced or behaving DAs and police departments within the state.  In that sense, I agree that it's a cop out.  Only if the entire state of Georgia seems unwilling or unable to fairly investigate the investigation, should the feds get involved.  In my violently anti-fed opinion.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, freyguy said:

I'm wondering if they might have also stumbled on a few other things as they started pulling this turd apart.

That was my thought when I saw the news the Georgia AG had requested DOJ assistance earlier this evening. 

Edited by Nicole44

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, the Georgia AG is not asking the DOJ to handle the murder/assault case.  It's asking that it investigate the investigation, i.e. the Glynn County cops (who, despite their previous dysfunction seem blameless), DA Johnson and DA Barnhill, and anyone else responsible for the 90-day delay in charging and arresting the Cletii when there is so much probable cause that a crime was committed.

Really, though, it's the Georgia AG that should take first crack at investigating corruptly influenced or behaving DAs and police departments within the state.  In that sense, I agree that it's a cop out.  Only if the entire state of Georgia seems unwilling or unable to fairly investigate the investigation, should the feds get involved.  In my violently anti-fed opinion.

Absolutely.  Why ask an outside agency to ferret out your corrupt pieces of shit?  Do it yourself.  Unless you are friends with the corrupt pieces of shit, then I understand.

Is “the video” that is referenced in this situation the truck driving up on the struggle or are there multiple?

As I understand the truck driving up video is an unrelated individual, purely a witness, correct?

Anyone have a source for anunedited video/s?  My google leads to what appear to be edited versions, I am not clear if that is because faces of death or???  

Just now, Incredulity said:

Is “the video” that is referenced in this situation the truck driving up on the struggle or are there multiple?

As I understand the truck driving up video is an unrelated individual, purely a witness, correct?

Anyone have a source for anunedited video/s?  My google leads to what appear to be edited versions, I am not clear if that is because faces of death or???  

The only piece of evidence identifying the video shooter is DA #2 Barnhill's letter that identifies him as a friend or associate (Bryan Williams or William Bryan) that followed the Cletii.  Seems credible.

Also, I learned from the CNN article that perhaps the arraignment judge didn't deny bail, but postponed a bail hearing.  AJC said he denied bail.

Statement from Arbery’s family attorneys:

“We are pleased that Georgia AG Chris Carr has officially asked the Dept. of Justice to investigate the handling, and potential cover-up, of Ahmaud Arbery’s murder. We have requested the involvement of the DOJ since we first took this case. There are far too many questions about how this case was handled and why it took 74 days for two of the killers to be arrested and charged in Mr. Arbery’s death. It is our hope that the DOJ will conduct a comprehensive investigation to determine how and why this case was so poorly handled. Those who were responsible for this travesty of justice must be held accountable. We will continue to tirelessly pursue every avenue of justice for Ahmaud Arbery’s family.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsbtv.com/news/local/ga-attorney-general-requests-doj-look-into-shooting-death-ahmaud-arbery/AMWRS4PYSJHCTJGOCDPDBBSBUE/%3foutputType=amp

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

The only piece of evidence identifying the video shooter is DA #2 Barnhill's letter that identifies him as a friend or associate (Bryan Williams or William Bryan) that followed the Cletii.  Seems credible.

Also, I learned from the CNN article that perhaps the arraignment judge didn't deny bail, but postponed a bail hearing.  AJC said he denied bail.

So that is the video, correct?

The Cletii chased, passed and stopped?   In that video AA is running up to the stopped truck.  Am I seeing that correct?

really hard to get clear information as every video link I click on starts and stops at different points with newscast commentary interspersed.

Again, anyone have a good source for  objective summary or original video?

Just now, Incredulity said:

So that is the video, correct?

The Cletii chased, passed and stopped?   In that video AA is running up to the stopped truck.  Am I seeing that correct?

really hard to get clear information as every video link I click on starts and stops at different points with newscast commentary interspersed.

Again, anyone have a good source for  objective summary or original video?

That seems to be the case, yes.  And I havent seen a better video than that.

12 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Maybe, maybe not. 

Perhaps Georgia folks don't want to get their hands dirty cleaning up and want to be able to deny knowledge while not being the one the cross the thin blue line.

In other words, they don't want to clean their own house. They want someone else to do it. As Twice said pussy ass cop out to taking ownership of their dirty laundry.

One thing that might explain it is that I think normally the investigators the AG would rely upon would be the GBI.  

But because the GBI is now actually investigating the crime in lieu of local cops, that might create some issues.

33 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Absolutely.  Why ask an outside agency to ferret out your corrupt pieces of shit?  Do it yourself.  Unless you are friends with the corrupt pieces of shit, then I understand.

Actually, getting an outside agency is usually the best practice. See: the Texas Rangers taking over investigating the Baylor situation over there heads of Waco PD. 

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Whilst drinking beer in the driveway and letting the kids all play last night, a neighbor from down the street dropped the n bomb.

I’ve never met this guy “officially” before, but have waved and said hello to his wife casually for several years.  Dude is asian (I think viet) and wife is Eastern Bloc somewhere.  It took me back immediately. He immediately said, “sorry to be rude, I mean black people”. I think my face probably said it all. This shit is everywhere. I mean I’ve said 30 words to this guy at this point, and we were discussing what he does for work, and boom, N-bomb.  Work discussion n-bomb while at a kids playing in yard situation wtf?

Don’t take lobo’s advice and rape him.   It will make things awkward in the neighborhood.  

• Like 2

It’s definitely a screwy timeline from the local DA to the GBI for sure.

2/23 Arbery is killed. His mother Cooper-Jones is notified by police that he was shot and killed inside a home during the commission of a burglary.

2/27 Brunswick DA Jackie Johnson writes letter revising herself. She knows George McM. Cooper-Jones sees reports about her sons death conflicting what she had been told on 2/23 and requests that Georgia’s AG Carr assign the case to another office.

2/29: Arbery funeral. 

March to April: case is now referred to Waycross DAs office George E Barnhill who also knows George McM.

Barnhill eventually writes 3 page letter recusing himself and says there is not enough probable cause to arrest George McM or Travis. Mentions a 3rd man Willliam Bryan has video and was part of the “hot pursuit of a burglary suspect.”

4/13: AG Carr assigns Atlantic Judicial Circuit DA Tom Durden who claims he does not know George nor Travis McM.

4/28: NCAAP and other groups become heavily involved.

5/5: DA Durden says case should go to the Grand Jury but of COVID courts won’t be open until 6/12. The video Bryan took is released and goes viral. Durden then requests the GBI become involved to investigate the following: Arbery’s Murder, who leaked the video and threats made against Glynn County PD.

5/6: GBI gets involved. It is also mentioned that Georgia has NO hate crime laws.

5/7: GBI arrests McMs for felony murder and aggravated assault.

5/10: AG Carr requests assistance from DOJ.

———————-

most of y’all already know the above but it helps me to keep stuff straight. Especially since the case looks like it may move again from GBI to DOJ. Maybe. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

It’s definitely a screwy timeline from the local DA to the GBI for sure.

2/23 Arbery is killed. His mother Cooper-Jones is notified by police that he was shot and killed inside a home during the commission of a burglary.

2/27 Brunswick DA Jackie Johnson writes letter revising herself. She knows George McM. Cooper-Jones sees reports about her sons death conflicting what she had been told on 2/23 and requests that Georgia’s AG Carr assign the case to another office.

2/29: Arbery funeral. 

March to April: case is now referred to Waycross DAs office George E Barnhill who also knows George McM.

Barnhill eventually writes 3 page letter recusing himself and says there is not enough probable cause to arrest George McM or Travis. Mentions a 3rd man Willliam Bryan has video and was part of the “hot pursuit of a burglary suspect.”

4/13: AG Carr assigns Atlantic Judicial Circuit DA Tom Durden who claims he does not know George nor Travis McM.

4/28: NCAAP and other groups become heavily involved.

5/5: DA Durden says case should go to the Grand Jury but of COVID courts won’t be open until 6/12. The video Bryan took is released and goes viral. Durden then requests the GBI become involved to investigate the following: Arbery’s Murder, who leaked the video and threats made against Glynn County PD.

5/6: GBI gets involved. It is also mentioned that Georgia has NO hate crime laws.

5/7: GBI arrests McMs for felony murder and aggravated assault.

5/10: AG Carr requests assistance from DOJ.

———————-

most of y’all already know the above but it helps me to keep stuff straight. Especially since the case looks like it may move again from GBI to DOJ. Maybe. 

Thank you for this

3 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Nope.  Rangers susceptible to politics too. 

I'm not saying they're not, I'm just saying it's generally a good idea to have extra layers of impartiality in cases like this. The Rangers might be susceptible to state politics, but they're generally not going to be susceptible to internal PD politics at a local level which is what would be most important in a case like this.

Just now, Zepol87 said:

Thank you for this

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/events-leading-arrest-men-murder-ahmaud-arbery/story%3fid=70576804

here is one timeline. I can’t afford The NY Times one. I used this one, the one from an Atlanta website and the Daily Mail (only for one bit) to keep it straight for myself.