Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No, see, I'm full of shit, and Trump is just a passing thing.  Remain calm, all is well.

Its not a passing thing.  There is simply nobody else that can deliver the message like Trump.  You need a moron in charge of the movement.  A smart person leading the movement is too glaringly apparent.  There are people with these "attitudes" that love Trump, but would hate guys like Bannon or Miller if they were the actual faces of the movement.

A lot of these folks would be ripe for an old school Stalinist who is both ethnic populist and communist.  God help us if someone figures that out.

12 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's a passing thing for the country, IMO. It's a real problem for the Republican Party. 

Unfortunately, I disagree. Trumpism is a disease that was given legitimacy when Donald was elected.  The only way it's a passing thing is if we believe the olds dying off in the next 20 years will eliminate the majority inflicted. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Y'all know I cut Trump zero slack...but the question here is "what are the odds that Trump uses an anti-semetic term to describe a jewish reporter?"  Well, the odds are pretty good, and they're good that it has nothing to do with the slur or Chuck Todd being jewish.  Trump makes up so many fucking insulting nicknames, like the fucking first-grader that he is, that some of those terms are bound to have some secondary meaning.  And if he was well-read or culturally aware at all, we might reasonably conclude that he knew of and meant that secondary meaning.

Here, I think it's just the fact that Trump slings so much invective and so many childish nicknames that there's bound to be overlap with some offensive secondary meaning from time to time, but that's not what Trump meant.  Trump's nicknames are not much more sophisticated than "poopyhead," so let's not give him credit for being more creative or clever than that.

Come on.  When you see Chuck Todd do you think "sleepy eyed"? 

It was a racist dog whistle, 100%.  

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Unfortunately, I disagree. Trumpism is a disease that was given legitimacy when Donald was elected.  The only way it's a passing thing is if we believe the olds dying off in the next 20 years will eliminate the majority inflicted. 

Which I do. I think the election of Donald Trump is the worst thing to happen to the Republican Party since Richard Nixon resigned.

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Or it passes the same way it did last time.  With global war that wipes out most of the males in Europe and gives American males something to do since we are the only ones not sifting through rubble.  Or maybe we get wiped out in the next one since we seem to be more likely to start some time of expulsion or cleansing program this time around.

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The only way it's a passing thing is if we believe the olds dying off in the next 20 years will eliminate the majority inflicted. 

I think it is. The average Fox News viewer is 68.  I say there is no way their indoctrination rate exceeds their death rate at this point.  

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Which I do. I think the election of Donald Trump is the worst thing to happen to the Republican Party since Richard Nixon resigned.

Trumps election made a lot of us realize racism is still alive and prevalent. I thought racism had come a long way since the 60's. It hadn't, not nearly as far as I once thought. But the asshole in chief also woke up a lot of young kids and people like myself who were apathetic to politics. So the old racists will die off and the youngs will vote more.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No, see, I'm full of shit, and Trump is just a passing thing.  Remain calm, all is well.

Everything will be fine. Watch your evening television programs and drink your Coca Cola. Do not be alarmed.

In today’s treachery news:

The U.S. softened its position on sanctions against Russian metals giant United Co. Rusal, sparking a record plunge in aluminum prices.

For the first time, the U.S. Treasury discussed a path for lifting the sanctions on Rusal, saying it would provide relief if Oleg Deripaska relinquished control. It also extended the deadline for companies to wind down dealings with the Russian aluminum producer by almost five months.

Rusal petitioned to be removed from the sanctions list and Treasury granted the extension while it considers the appeal, according to a statement from Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Everyone is right in that the Trumpization of the GOP will not end well one the olds die off.  This country and our politics will look remarkably different in 10-15 years.

A good example is a story I read about some business in Atlanta the provides Southern themed lookalikes for parties.  Things like Scarlett O'Hara, Robert E. Lee, shit like that.  For people who want a Southern themed party, they were the go to place.  They had said in the article that business really fell off over the past few years.  People in their 40's would never think about having a party like that, let alone people in their 20's.  I couldn't help but to think about that business during the whole statue debate.  Those statues will be gone in 20 years because the millennials will be 45-55 years old and they think they're stupid.

Another example is Donald Trump is the current day Pete Wilson.  For those too young to remember, California was once a solidly Republican state even as recently as 1988 when Bush one the state.  They were cradle of Post WWII Republicanism.  They gave us Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan within 15 years of each other.  Demographically, they were much like America is currently.  They had a shrinking and aging white majority along with an apathetic and disorganized minority voting bloc.  Then, Pete Wilson ran for governor as a hard line anti-immigration candidate.  (Think "fuck you and show me your papers" type.)  He won two terms as governor in the 1990's but he energized a growing population base as the GOP coalition was changing fast.  By the time his term ended, the GOP was a very distant minority and never recovered.  Really, in just a 10 year period, they went from dominance to nothing.

Despite controlling almost every level of government in this country, the current GOP coalition is on its last breath.  They know it, too.  The party itself will survive but the next coalition will look different and it should.  It was going to happen with or without Trump but he's just hastening the change.

• Like 2

Or it passes the same way it did last time.  With global war that wipes out most of the males in Europe and gives American males something to do since we are the only ones not sifting through rubble.  Or maybe we get wiped out in the next one since we seem to be more likely to start some time of expulsion or cleansing program this time around.

This, in a nutshell, is why I think the burn-it-down guys are the worst. You’ve got the greatest 75 years of human freedom, peace and prosperity in the history of the western world and these jerkoffs want to blow all that up and risk fire and fury to settle their pissant beefs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Y'all know I cut Trump zero slack...but the question here is "what are the odds that Trump uses an anti-semetic term to describe a jewish reporter?"  Well, the odds are pretty good, and they're good that it has nothing to do with the slur or Chuck Todd being jewish.  Trump makes up so many fucking insulting nicknames, like the fucking first-grader that he is, that some of those terms are bound to have some secondary meaning.  And if he was well-read or culturally aware at all, we might reasonably conclude that he knew of and meant that secondary meaning.

Here, I think it's just the fact that Trump slings so much invective and so many childish nicknames that there's bound to be overlap with some offensive secondary meaning from time to time, but that's not what Trump meant.  Trump's nicknames are not much more sophisticated than "poopyhead," so let's not give him credit for being more creative or clever than that.

Except why would anyone use the term "sleepy eyed" to describe someone anyway?  And someone who happens to be Jewish who does not have "sleepy eyes" whatever the fuck that means?  

"Poopyhead," "Lazy," "Low energy," "Lyin," "Liddle".   Those all make sense and are actual derogatory ways to refer to people.  "Sleepy eyes" is nonsense, other than as a known anti-Semitic slur.

I think it's possible, maybe even likely, Trump didn't know it was a slur.  Hell, I doubt he knows what the Holocaust is or what actual Nazis did.  I am damn sure that if Trump didn't know it, he heard it from his coterie of bigots who are the ones making policy in this administration.  That doesn't give the Dotard a pass.

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Has Trump even mentioned Waffle House yet?  Even if he wants to avoid discussing the tragedy and gun control, we have a bonafide American hero who should be offered a trip to the White House and never have to buy his own beer again.

No mention of Waffle House shooting or our even more obvious Vanilla ISIS problem.

ETA: If you think I’m kidding about Vanilla ISIS being a problem, just wait, we will end up with one or two of these type incidents per month by my speculation.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

10 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Has Trump even mentioned Waffle House yet?  Even if he wants to avoid discussing the tragedy and gun control, we have a bonafide American hero who should be offered a trip to the White House and never have to buy his own beer again.

It doesn't fit the narrative.  Black man who was unarmed stopped the shooter.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lemonlime said:

It doesn't fit the narrative.  Black man who was unarmed stopped the shooter.   

Well a black guy in a MAGA hat shoved a Latino guy onto the subway tracks yesterday.  Maybe he can tweet his support for the pusher and bridge the racial divide.

28 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Another example is Donald Trump is the current day Pete Wilson.  For those too young to remember, California was once a solidly Republican state even as recently as 1988 when Bush one the state...

Won.  Or "Bush 1 won"?

Anyway, I don't think you can compare state trends with national ones.  The Dems and GOP will evolve to split roughly 50% of the national vote.  In doing so, they will concede various regions.  California has become more liberal when compared to the national average. 

Also, we shouldn't just view Trumpism is terms of American trends.  America is just part of it.  To me, that's the scariest thing.  There is a "clash of civilizations" narrative that is finding a foothold across the world   

• Like 1

There’s some good indication that this shooter was an Anti-government/police extremist.  Supposedly he remarked to the Secret Service that he was a “Sovereign Citizen”. If you don’t know about the Sovereign Citizen movement, here’s some background from 2013

https://www.policeone.com/police-products/investigation/articles/6176998-What-cops-need-to-know-about-sovereign-citizen-encounters/

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You should read the article before proclaiming yourself Nostradamus.  It hardly concludes that’s Trumpism will survive Trump.  

The point it makes is that the old GOP order is gone... at least for now.  And that Trump didn’t create the new order - he just tapped into a huge undercurrent within the Republican base

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 1

You should read the article before proclaiming yourself Nostradamus.  It hardly concludes that’s Trumpism will survive Trump.  
The point it makes is that the old GOP order is gone... at least for now.  And that Trump didn’t create the new order - he just tapped into a huge undercurrent within the Republican base

I get the Economist - I’ll read the whole thing at home.

But they’ve been saying similar stuff for a while.

I agree that Trump didn’t create Trumpism; what’s new is that the GOP has shed all of the rest of its identity to put Trumpism front and center. Before, it was a center right party that had Trumpists as a significant part of their coalition. Now, it’s a party that you can’t be part of UNLESS you’re Trumpist.

Trumpism has subverted the GOP but it won’t last because it can’t.  They will get their asses handed to them and be forced to regroup and rebrand because the majority of America rejects Trump politics.

What rises from the ashes of Trumpism in the GOP is the big mystery.

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Trumpism has subverted the GOP but it won’t last because it can’t.  They will get their asses handed to them and be forced to regroup and rebrand because the majority of America rejects Trump politics.

Maybe, but Trumpism can still dominate rural states and districts.  Given the electoral college and liberal clustering, Trumpists could lose the popular vote by 10 million and still keep the Presidency and Senate, while almost keeping the House.  The real question is how tyrannical can a minority voting bloc become before the majority has enough.

5 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Maybe, but Trumpism can still dominate rural states and districts.  Given the electoral college and liberal clustering, Trumpists could lose the popular vote by 10 million and still keep the Presidency and Senate, while almost keeping the House.  The real question is how tyrannical can a minority voting bloc become before the majority has enough.

My guess is the next presidential election will take care of it.

But that's just a guess.

Here’s the problem: math. The GOP has so fostered and grown the Trumpist bloc that it can’t build a winning coalition without it. If the GOP jettisoned half its membership (and yes, it’s probably around that), it would cease to be a viable party.

There is no GOP without Trumpkins. Stop thinking that’s going to happen. It’s not going to happen.

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Trumpism mainly has strength in the rural areas because of the National media enablers and Trump.  If the GOP rebrands nationally away from Trumpism, their media outlets will have to rebrand as well.  They can’t do both.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Here’s the problem: math. The GOP has so fostered and grown the Trumpist bloc that it can’t build a winning coalition without it. If the GOP jettisoned half its membership (and yes, it’s probably around that), it would cease to be a viable party.

There is no GOP without Trumpkins. Stop thinking that’s going to happen. It’s not going to happen.

In the short term the GOP is going to move closer to Trumpism for the reasons you mentioned...until there is a reckoning and all their power is stripped away.

Are we actually going to bemoan the death of the GOP in its current incarnation?  The modern GOP had multiple chances to govern according to the principles that they preached. Shrink government, fiscal responsibility, reel back the interventionist foreign policy. They wiped their ass with that shit once in power.  Trump is direct result of the GOP establishment demonstrating that they give not not one shit about governance according to the principles they ran on. Fuck the GOP. Good riddance. After enough people get sick of the blue wave, a new counter balance will be formed. 

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

Except why would anyone use the term "sleepy eyed" to describe someone anyway?  And someone who happens to be Jewish who does not have "sleepy eyes" whatever the fuck that means?  

"Poopyhead," "Lazy," "Low energy," "Lyin," "Liddle".   Those all make sense and are actual derogatory ways to refer to people.  "Sleepy eyes" is nonsense, other than as a known anti-Semitic slur.

I think it's possible, maybe even likely, Trump didn't know it was a slur.  Hell, I doubt he knows what the Holocaust is or what actual Nazis did.  I am damn sure that if Trump didn't know it, he heard it from his coterie of bigots who are the ones making policy in this administration.  That doesn't give the Dotard a pass.

Trump had know clue that "sleepy eyed" is a derogatory term for Jews. He was just parroting what he hears coming out of Stephen Miller's office several times a day, Stephen knows exactly what the fuck it means.  

24 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

yeah. thats what i am expecting. a 60/40 pop vote and trump winning. its remarkable. 

i don't even want to know what the BS will look like with fake everything by 2020

wish the nukes were fake

party on

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Are we actually going to bemoan the death of the GOP in its current incarnation?  The modern GOP had multiple chances to govern according to the principles that they preached. Shrink government, fiscal responsibility, reel back the interventionist foreign policy. They wiped their ass with that shit once in power.  Trump is direct result of the GOP establishment demonstrating that they give not not one shit about governance according to the principles they ran on. Fuck the GOP. Good riddance. After enough people get sick of the blue wave, a new counter balance will be formed. 

"Are we actually going to bemoan the death of the Czars?  They had multiple chances to govern in the interest of the people.  Burn it down!"

How do we feel about the Czars' replacement?

"Are we actually going to bemoan the ousting of the Shah?  He had multiple chances to govern more openly, without the secret police.  Burn it down!"

How do we feel about the Shah's replacement?

We can do this all day.  "Get rid of X" is a fucking stupid-ass desire unless you have a viable plan to replace it with something better.  We took an underperforming GOP and replaced it with a group that slings shit everywhere -- onto our food, our water....even in our raccoon wounds.  Even worse...I don't think that a new counterbalance will be formed.  Instead, our entire political culture is tilting to the extremes, with nothing in the middle.  Look at the kind of "enthusiasm" Trumpism is building on the other end -- a shitload of those folks think Bernie Sanders is the solution.

Sooner than you think, we're going to end up with modern versions of the Communist Party and Mussolini's Fascists running against each other.  Yay.  What a win.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

"Are we actually going to bemoan the death of the Czars?  They had multiple chances to govern in the interest of the people.  Burn it down!"

How do we feel about the Czars' replacement?

"Are we actually going to bemoan the ousting of the Shah?  He had multiple chances to govern more openly, without the secret police.  Burn it down!"

How do we feel about the Shah's replacement?

We can do this all day.  "Get rid of X" is a fucking stupid-ass desire unless you have a viable plan to replace it with something better.  We took an underperforming GOP and replaced it with a group that slings shit everywhere -- onto our food, our water....even in our raccoon wounds.  Even worse...I don't think that a new counterbalance will be formed.  Instead, our entire political culture is tilting to the extremes, with nothing in the middle.  Look at the kind of "enthusiasm" Trumpism is building on the other end -- a shitload of those folks think Bernie Sanders is the solution.

Sooner than you think, we're going to end up with modern versions of the Communist Party and Mussolini's Fascists running against each other.  Yay.  What a win.

Losing really bad forces the recentering is the point. 

2 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Losing really bad forces the recentering is the point. 

What I'm suggesting is that they won't lose really bad (sure, they may take a hit these midterms -- the party that won the presidency usually does - but I don't think it's a long-term problem).

What I'm suggesting is that we'll end up with two extremist parties - I think the inevitable Dem response to Trump will be to lurch to idiotic Bernieism.  Those of us in the middle -- hell, that could end up being 60% of us -- will have to pick one or the other, as there WON'T BE an option for moderates.  Communists, or Fascists -- choose.  One of them will win every election, so which one do you want?

Our future is thoughtless tribalism, and death to the other tribe.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

What I'm suggesting is that they won't lose really bad (sure, they may take a hit these midterms -- the party that won the presidency usually does - but I don't think it's a long-term problem).

What I'm suggesting is that we'll end up with two extremist parties - I think the inevitable Dem response to Trump will be to lurch to idiotic Bernieism.  Those of us in the middle -- hell, that could end up being 60% of us -- will have to pick one or the other, as there WON'T BE an option for moderates.  Communists, or Fascists -- choose.  One of them will win every election, so which one do you want?

Our future is thoughtless tribalism, and death to the other tribe.

I choose Communists.