Minneapolis is Burning

F250

• 1 month later...

thanks for posting that.  i am shocked! oh wait, no i am not. tony webster probably getting harassed the rest of his American life

I hope those who say they are skeptical of the government and public workers — like my many conservative friends and readers — will pay particular attention to this story. Is there another government entity with so much power while at the same time facing so little scrutiny as local police departments? I can hardly imagine a story that you should be more invested in than this one.

political positions are mallebale. always have been, always will be. i mean shit i'd fuck elvis

ElatedCookedKagu-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

What. The. Fuck.  

Shit heads like that need to be removed from the department yesterday and never be allowed to work as a LEO.  Now question becomes, will it happen?

This is new video from an old incident.  He was fired after it happened- 5 years ago. He, through the union, appealed and lost. 

in news that surprises everyone, NYPD's tactics ramped up tensions during the protests:

The NYPD’s mishandling of the protests was not confined to misdeeds by individual officers, some of whom took actions that were “at a minimum, unprofessional and, at worst, unjustified excessive force or abuse of authority,” the report finds.

“The problems went beyond poor judgment or misconduct by some individual officers,” DOI Commissioner Margaret Garnett told reporters Friday. “The NYPD as an institution made a number of key errors or omissions that likely escalated tensions and the potential for violence, and certainly contributed to a public perception that the department was suppressing rather than facilitating lawful First Amendment assembly and expression.”

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2020/12/18/nypd-undermined-public-trust-with-aggressive-protest-response-watchdog-agency-finds-1348513

On 12/15/2020 at 4:34 PM, GopherRock said:

I read this whole thing (exactly what investigative journalism should be). It all makes you ragey but this:

The arbitrator notes, however, “No evidence of prior disciplinary action or corrective action appears on the grievant’s record.” In fact, this is the only case of discipline against Warnberg in his more than three decades on the Minneapolis police force, although he was convicted in Wisconsin of sexually assaulting a private at a National Guard training in 1992 while he was a captain. He was reinstated to the police force.

Even 30 years ago....who says “A history of sexually assaulting subordinates in uniform? I think you’ve got a bright future on this force.”

• 1 month later...

https://www.startribune.com/video-weeks-before-pinning-george-floyd-three-of-the-same-officers-roughly-detained-the-wrong-man/600018251/

Ho. Lee. Fuck. Not sure how much of this can be introduced as evidence in the Floyd trial. But if there was any more doubt that all three involved will be getting lengthy stays courtesy of the Minnesota Department of Corrections, there isn't any now.

https://video.startribune.com/video-officers-involved-in-george-floyds-death-used-similar-methods-before/600018239/

• Rage+1 1

What's the old "Back the Blue" saying, you murder a suspect in cold blood for no reason...you're the bad apple. 

You repeatedly beat and murder innocent people for no reason...you're the hero?  

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What's the old "Back the Blue" saying, you murder a suspect in cold blood for no reason...you're the bad apple. 

You repeatedly beat and murder innocent people for no reason...you're the hero?  

What you can see from the video makes it pretty clear that what happened to Floyd 1) happened to other people, almost certainly many, many other times; 2) happened without regard to whether the person was "a criminal" or not (seems like being a black guy near cops on a call is sufficient basis to label someone "a criminal"), and 3) this was standard operating procedure.  Do not pass Go, do not collect $200, do not walk up to a person and have a conversation, or even ask him politely to stay put -- nope, throw him to a ground and kneel on his neck.

It's like "Dick in a Box," except there aren't nearly as many steps.  No get a box, no cut a hole in the box.  Just "see black guy, throw to ground and kneel on his neck."  

Policing is completely fucking broken.  Yet we have dickheads like our own governor attacking anyone who would even SUGGEST accountability, and even SUGGEST that cops follow the law and the Constitution, as being "ANTI-law and order and ANTI-public safety!"

We are dead-set on cementing our status as a "shithole country."

1 hour ago, GopherRock said:

But if there was any more doubt that all three involved will be getting lengthy stays courtesy of the Minnesota Department of Corrections, there isn't any now.

This evidence will be used to exonerate them and they will not be going to jail for extended periods of time.

Spoiler alert: Justice will not happen.

36 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

This evidence will be used to exonerate them and they will not be going to jail for extended periods of time.

Spoiler alert: Justice will not happen.

It certainly will be used to exonerate the junior/trainee officers.  They were just doing what they were trained to do.

And Chauvin will try the same defense.

It may well work for all of them.  The guilty party here isn't one cop, or even three cops.  It's the MPD, which as an entity, trained and allowed this culture and type of action.  And entities can't face criminal consequences of any import.

• 1 month later...

Derek Chauvin trial underway. The more I read about what happened 1) the less certain I am that Derek Chauvin murdered George Floyd  2) the more certain I am that, if Chauvin isn't convicted, some cities are going to explode in violence.  Floyd having a fatal level of fentanyl in his system is going to make it hard for the jury to convict him of murder. 

I really wish Floyd was a more sympathetic victim,  like a doctoral student who served meals on wheels or something.    

10 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Derek Chauvin trial underway. The more I read about what happened 1) the less certain I am that Derek Chauvin murdered George Floyd  2) the more certain I am that, if Chauvin isn't convicted, some cities are going to explode in violence.  Floyd having a fatal level of fentanyl in his system is going to make it hard for the jury to convict him of murder. 

I really wish Floyd was a more sympathetic victim,  like a doctoral student who served meals on wheels or something.    

Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis... maybe Philly, Chicago and New York are going to blow up if it isn't convicted of all counts.   Honestly, I am not sure that is enough for the first three cities I listed from having significant destruction at the end of the trial.

This will end the way this always ends. Piece of shit cop will slip through the system on a technicality, even know he knelt on a man’s neck for 10 minutes and caused his death. Fuck anyone obfuscating and trying to deny this was anything other than murder. FAC 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Not a lawyer but Chauvin showed a complete disregard for Floyd's life. Floyd could have been in several types of distress but Chauvin didn't GAF. Citizens were telling the cops that Floyd was in distress and they didn't even bother to look at Floyd much less assess his condition. I can't say what charge Chauvin should be facing but Floyd is dead today because of Chauvin. I have no doubt. 

Could Floyd have died later that day because of an OD or a bus hitting him?  We will never know.

16 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

lethal amounts? most reports I read that they were not the cause of death, nor were they considered a contributor. If that's all the defense has then they're fucked

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

lethal amounts? most reports I read that they were not the cause of death, nor were they considered a contributor. If that's all the defense has then they're fucked

It’s a bullshit talking point to deflect from the murder. FAC

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

The coroner who examined him said that he found 11 ng/ml of fentanyl and that "That is a fatal level of fentanyl under normal circumstances."

He also said that Floyd had "level 4"  amounts of fentanyl in his system and that ""If he were found dead at home alone and no other apparent causes, this could be acceptable to call an OD. Deaths have been certified with levels of 3."

1 minute ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

The coroner who examined him said that he found 11 ng/ml of fentanyl and that "That is a fatal level of fentanyl under normal circumstances."

He also said that Floyd had "level 4"  amounts of fentanyl in his system and that ""If he were found dead at home alone and no other apparent causes, this could be acceptable to call an OD. Deaths have been certified with levels of 3."

which coroner? the one hired by the family or the one trying to cover up for the cops?

2 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Can the coroner state whether Floyd was going to 100% going to die of an OD at that moment? If Floyd was going to die of an OD in 20 minutes, I don't see how that has any bearing on the case.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Can the coroner state whether Floyd was going to 100% going to die of an OD at that moment? If Floyd was going to die of an OD in 20 minutes, I don't see how that has any bearing on the case.

We will never know because a cop murdered him. 

7 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Therefore his murder was justified because he was going to die anyway?

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You could be right. It's one thing to die WITH something and another to die FROM something.  Chauvin is charged with murder. It's going to be interesting to watch it play out.

10 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Let's say George Floyd had 5700mL of blood in his body, which is the high average amount of blood in humans. 11 nanograms is .011 micrograms. 0.11mcg x 5700mL is 62.7mcg of fentanyl in his entire body. I give 100mcg of fentanyl at a time to patients regularly, including many who do not have an opioid tolerance already built up.

George Floyd probably had more than 5700mL of blood in his body, but he also had plenty of body mass. 100mcg of fentanyl would not kill him, especially if he used fentanyl with any regularity.  

ETA: someone doublecheck my math and make sure I'm not being stupid

Edited by trauma babe
wording
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It shouldn't.  To quote Brisket from the DT thread, if you suffocate a dying hospice patient with a pillow, you're still going to be charged with murder.

To the extent it should have any bearing on the case, I think it should be to show that Chauvin had intent to kill him.  If Floyd was really in that level of distress, then putting his knee on his neck for nine minutes is even more obviously intended to kill.

But, well cops.  And a criminal justice system designed so that they avoid accountability.

11 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Ok, but the coroner ruled the death a homicide.

Let's say George Floyd was old, and his bones were brittle. A thug comes along and wacks him on the head, fracturing his skull and he dies. Clearly his old age made it easier for him to be murdered, but it was still murder. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

10 minutes on the guys neck, 2 other cops standing around ?  Ignoring bystanders about the condition of G. Floyd ? It's manslaughter at the very least.  How are the other 2 cops not named as accessories ?

I believe they have all been charged.

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Thanks, haven't been watching it too closely.  Are they being tried in separate cases ?

Not sure.  I assume so, I just know they all got charged.

edit***Just googled and it looks like late summer for other trial.

Edited by Incredulity

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

10 minutes on the guys neck, 2 other cops standing around ?  Ignoring bystanders about the condition of G. Floyd ? It's manslaughter at the very least.  How are the other 2 cops not named as accessories ?

They have been. Their trial is set for August. Not sure who suggested the separation of trials.