Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

The longhorn band has been a joke since VRD retired.  CDC should have someone get the current useless director's pictures of his 12 cats off of his desk and hand them to him has he puts a boot up his ass on the way out the door.

We've taken a one year hiatus from our season tickets this year and I'm getting close to the point where I won't be back.  I'm sure I can find something else to do with my football weekend Saturdays after 49 years in the same seats.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

It's pretty simple. The song has no racist meaning in itself, but if we're to say it's racist based on its origins, then I think it's fair to say the University of Texas is currently racist based on it's origins and past actions (as would be most universities). They don't seem to have a problem representing the university by being in the band. Just the song? It's interesting to me.

This country has a very short history, and a very racist one. Chances are anywhere you look you'll see something born out of it. 

Which is why things are changing.

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

It's pretty simple. The song has no racist meaning in itself, but if we're to say it's racist based on its origins, then I think it's fair to say the University of Texas is currently racist based on it's origins and past actions (as would be most universities). They don't seem to have a problem representing the university by being in the band. Just the song? It's interesting to me.

This country has a very short history, and a very racist one. Chances are anywhere you look you'll see something born out of it. 

Where was it where the band cancelled itself? Some Ivy League school I thought. Literally self assassination. 

10 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

People in the marching band often believe the football game is about them. In high school and in college. At Desoto we had some bitch ass band director that thought everyone was there to watch them first and football second. At a school with a large minority population they would play shit that a lot of people could even recognize which I’m sure was very artful and got them all sorts of awards but most people went to get concessions while they performed. They bitched about us being in the playoffs because it would interfere with their competition. 

Fuck marching bands. They exist to support football and school pride. If they want to be bitches cancel them. Those woke mother fuckers know all about cancelling anyway. 

The thing is, Scott Hanna drills this repeatedly to the band. Every gameday, he tells them that they have only one purpose and that's to be a service to fans and support the team and university, and the members generally believe that and are huge fans of the team. I imagine CDC and Hartzell will probably come do the same thing they did with football, and then who knows. I think admin's hardball strategy is the correct position and will work eventually but who knows, sucks

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Welcome to CRT and i dont mean computer monitors

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Where was it where the band cancelled itself? Some Ivy League school I thought. Literally self assassination. 

I'd beat them to the punch if I were CDC, and ban them from performing at the stadium since I'm sure they performed at those same minstrel shows. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Man you're proving me so wrong.

I'm going to give you a little bit of advice. I mean this very sincerely, and I think it'll improve everyone's experience on this site -- which I've learned recently must be respected because my experience is very important.

Shut the fuck up and go away. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fatheryeet said:

The thing is, Scott Hanna drills this repeatedly to the band. Every gameday, he tells them that they have only one purpose and that's to be a service to fans and support the team and university, and the members generally believe that and are huge fans of the team. I imagine CDC and H artzell will probably come do the same thing they did with football, and then who knows. I think admin's hardball strategy is the correct position and will work eventually but who knows, sucks

The end result of this will be the end of playing the Eyes of Texas at sporting events. That's where this is going. The genie is not going back in the bottle.

1 minute ago, randygilman said:

I'm going to give you a little bit of advice. I mean this very sincerely, and I think it'll improve everyone's experience on this site -- which I've learned recently must be respected because my experience is very important.

Shut the fuck up and go away. 

No thanks. :)

I'll do my little part to shame the idiots who live to embarrass our university by going onto the Internet to spew hate and invective at our students. I can't stop them, but at least I can irritate them and maybe redirect their bile away from the players and band members and towards me.

Grown men crying at kids. Pathetic humans.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, bad_teammate said:

No thanks. :)

I'll do my little part to shame the idiots who live to embarrass our university by going onto the Internet to spew hate and invective at our students. I can't stop them, but at least I can irritate them and maybe redirect their bile away from the players and band members and towards me.

Grown men crying at kids. Pathetic humans.

You're not respecting MY truth! You're not respecting MY lived experience! 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The end result of this will be the end of playing the Eyes of Texas at sporting events. That's where this is going. The genie is not going back in the bottle.

Strong leadership (i.e., actual grown-up men who aren't crying pathetic wastes of masculinity like the reactionary idiots here) could absolutely prevent that with a patient, mature, and consistent message and educational push about The Eyes.

It's possible, but made harder when the alumni is so poorly situated.

6 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I'd beat them to the punch if I were CDC, and ban them from performing at the stadium since I'm sure they performed at those same minstrel shows. 

if he hires Urban he can sell those seats for some good money.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Hardball strategy?   Elaborate.

I'm sure the directors are cool with showing up and having the band play everything but the eyes if they don't have the instrumentation, but admin and fine arts dean have probably told them no eyes no band. Eventually the students might decide it's not worth it. Now if this is still unresolved next year when things with corona are back to normal? Do you field a smaller band of those that wanna play? No band at all? 

3 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Did the band just cancel culture itself? 

I put forth my motion of getting rid of the band and tripling the Pom squad size. Save a ton of $ to go towards Hermans buyout and UM hiring while providing better halftime entertainment value for the fans.

-edit- as noted before not due to any band protest, I just don't derive any enjoyment from band personally.

Edited by BrazilHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

People in the marching band often believe the football game is about them. In high school and in college. At Desoto we had some bitch ass band director that thought everyone was there to watch them first and football second. At a school with a large minority population they would play shit that a lot of people could even recognize which I’m sure was very artful and got them all sorts of awards but most people went to get concessions while they performed. They bitched about us being in the playoffs because it would interfere with their competition. 

Fuck marching bands. They exist to support football and school pride. If they want to be bitches cancel them. Those woke mother fuckers know all about cancelling anyway. 

If you are referring to college only, I'll mostly agree with you.  High school is another deal.  Band competitions for high school bands absolutely SHOULD take precedence over football games.  

• Fuck You 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

How come DD/Kevin and bad teammate were never this outspoken about the eyes of Texas being racist prior to this year? I mean if they felt so strong about it how come they never brought it up prior or fought to get it changed prior to 8 months ago!

I didn't know about its origin story. Also, from a personal standpoint, I wouldn't get rid of it. But I understand what's happening now and why its days are numbered.

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I didn't know about its origin story. Also, from a personal standpoint, I wouldn't get rid of it. But I understand what's happening now and why its days are numbered.

Do you drive a Volkswagen? Cause I've got stories for you about them. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Oh so you feel soooo strongly about it now but you had no idea or it’s history. Got it chief. 

I don't feel all that strongly about it. I wouldn't get rid of it, but I wouldn't be upset if that's what happened. 

I'm more interested in the social dynamics involved with the ending of a 100 year tradition. That's fascinating to me.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

I don't mind people bringing up questions about it. Especially young people. You gotta start asking questions at this age. It's natural, and healthy. Obviously, I don't fall completely in line with the idea, so I know I'll be labeled some type of way. But I do think we should have discussions about stuff like that. And that's part of why I word my points the way I do, to introduce the idea that nothing is really off limits if getting rid of "eyes" is a serious possibility. 

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

How come DD/Kevin and bad teammate were never this outspoken about the eyes of Texas being racist prior to this year? I mean if they felt so strong about it how come they never brought it up prior or fought to get it changed prior to 8 months ago!

I don't think the song is racist.

So... there's that.

3 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

bad_teammate the protector of students! So noble. Books and songs will be written. 

Nah I'll die forgotten just like everyone else here. But the point remains: You idiots are a complete embarrassment and creating unnecessary hostility and toxicity because you want to look tough for your friends on the Internet and it's pathetic.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

I don't feel all that strongly about it. I wouldn't get rid of it, but I wouldn't be upset if that's what happened. 

I'm more interested in the social dynamics involved with the ending of a 100 year tradition. That's fascinating to me.

I feel strongly that if you had no idea of it’s origin and etc that you should probably shit the fuck up regarding the eyes from here on out. 

Just now, UncleBuck said:

I don't mind people bringing up questions about it. Especially young people. You gotta start asking questions at this age. It's natural, and healthy. Obviously, I don't fall completely in line with the idea, so I know I'll be labeled some type of way. But I do think we should have discussions about stuff like that. And that's part of why I word my points the way I do, to introduce the idea that nothing is really off limits if getting rid of "eyes" is a serious possibility. 

This is true. And it is a hard fact of life.

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Dude you know why lol 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I put forth my motion of getting rid of the band and tripling the Pom squad size. Save a ton of $ to go towards Hermans buyout and UM hiring while providing better halftime entertainment value for the fans.

-edit- as noted before not due to any band protest, I just don't derive any enjoyment from band personally.

I have to admit I like the pagentry before the game starts if I get there in time, texas fight during the game, and eyes after but halftime is snoozefest.  if they pipe in Texas fight during the game and have a set time to play the eyes before and after the game, I don't really miss them.

yes I know some like wabash cannonball to start the 4th...

if the stadium is full and we are winning who cares. hire Urban.

The song was NEVER an issue until June 2020.  During the time span since it first became a part of the school and it's identity,  we've had the  1950's and 60's Civil Rights activism which led to major changes  and numerous other points of contention in the same arena and the leaders leading the charge in those struggles NEVER brought up the song.  If someone has evidence to contrary, I'd like to see it.  But still, it was NEVER an issue to where boycotts were threatened or students and  temper tantrums about it and Administrators  grabbed the KY and took it from them.

#2020 sux donkey balls.

• Hook 'Em 6