COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

Breakthrough infections are real. My neighbor and her family are fully vaccinated, went to Vegas for a basketball tournament where no one wore masks. All 4 of them came down with Covid and are quarantining.

LA County is recommending people wear masks if they are indoors. It's < 25 miles away, so I'm back to wearing masks. I hate it, but will do it for my kids who can't get vaccinated yet.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Superhero said:

Breakthrough infections are real. My neighbor and her family are fully vaccinated, went to Vegas for a basketball tournament where no one wore masks. All 4 of them came down with Covid and are quarantining.

Can you offer some context for their breakthrough infections?  Asymptomatic, mild symptoms, flu-like symptoms, bleeding genitalia? 

59 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Can you offer some context for their breakthrough infections?  Asymptomatic, mild symptoms, flu-like symptoms, bleeding genitalia? 

Can’t answer for him, but my grandmother, in a long term care facility in LBK, just finished her 14 day quarantine because she had a breakthrough infection. Luckily she was first round of Pfizer back in January, so she was just tired and loss of appetite. Which is really luck as she is in her mid 80’s, and had a stroke this time last year, hence why she is in a LTC facility. 

Also, fuck LBK. Cesspool of a city, with cesspool residents who can’t get their shit together. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Family friends' kids got it and gave it to their Dad, who had Pfizer shots.  He said it was one bad, achy night of sleep.  Mom, who got Moderna did not get it.  Those are just two data points out of a billion though, but I'm always curious what flavor vaccine the breakthrough cases got.

Edited by smoky

On 7/29/2021 at 3:59 PM, &#x27;stache said:

I'm trying to buy masks to protect against this new wave but I can't make heads or tails of what masks on Amazon are actually effective. Many look like shady foreign manufacturers. Anyone have any suggestions of masks to buy off Amazon or elsewhere?

Make sure they are made in America

• Hook 'Em 2

Big case day in Travis County with 546 cases today. Heavily driven by younger age groups. I know my 11 year old had to get a test for camp (he's negative in case you were worried) so I wonder if we are seeing a spike for back to school prep/camp attendance etc out of that group.

We are back in Feb with a 500+ case day so clock has been reset 6 months. 338 hospitalized and 54 admits. We have had 243 people admitted to hospitals the past 4 days, only 14 have been added to ICU over that period of time (there are 117 in ICU currently), so the ~90 or so that are in ICU look to make up bulk of folks that were already hospitalized prior to this weeks big spike in cases/admits.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 7/30 vs 7/29 3 32 73 157 124 75 37 26 13 6 546
% of Daily Change 0.55% 5.86% 13.37% 28.75% 22.71% 13.74% 6.78% 4.76% 2.38% 1.10%  
% of Total Cases 0.64% 4.41% 10.64% 26.02% 20.73% 14.87% 11.06% 6.47% 3.14% 2.02%  
  • Hook 'Em 3

Breakthrough infection here. Got the J&J in March. Was in Costa Mujeres 7/18-21 tested negative the day before leaving and came home for a sec and left for Cabo 7/25, tested positive 7/26 and I’m currently “stuck” here while quarantining. Only possible symptom was a cough.

46 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Pretty sure my 11 year-old has Covid. From summer camp. We just got him tested so will see. 

And gonna find out if my Pfizer shots and spouse's gimp J&J shot hold up.

Betcha none of y'all will get seriously sick. For the most part it seems like breakthrough infections have people feeling like they did after their second shot - crummy for a day or two and then fine. 

Granted, there's always gonna be outliers but to at least three or four 9's you're pretty safe

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

All of the personal anecdotes of "breakthrough" infections (here and elsewhere) makes them seem much more common than I read in the press. Seems like a lot of breaking through.  Like full on penetration.  

The key difference now that we are vaccinated is that (by and large) it's just the flu. It's still incredibly contagious, but (if you're vaccinated) just a nuisance. That said, it's still helpful to use every mechanism from social distancing to facemasks to vaccines to minimize the impact of such an infectious respiratory virus

On 7/29/2021 at 12:13 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Beaumont, Killeen and College Station are basically out of ICU beds. Not a good time to have a major medical problem in those areas. And as others have pointed out, the problems in these cities can quickly become the problem of Austin or Houston when patients are sent there.

• San Saba
  • Llano
  • Burnet
  • Blanco
  • Williamson
  • Travis
  • Hays
  • Caldwell
  • Bastrop
  • Lee
  • Fayette

https://dshs.texas.gov/emstraumasystems/Trauma/pdf/TSAMap-RACNames.pdf

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

Hemorrhaging eyeballs, intense tinnitus, anal warts and breath that smells like Limberger cheese…

I texted to ask and they have itchy throats, are coughing and have night fevers. Nothing life threatening but uncomfortable 

4 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

All of the personal anecdotes of "breakthrough" infections (here and elsewhere) makes them seem much more common than I read in the press. Seems like a lot of breaking through.  Like full on penetration.  

But doctors say it’s not really full penetration, more like just the tip. 

33 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Also worth mentioning that 19% of ICU beds have covid patients.

That's a shitload of infrastructure for dealing with covid.

I don't mean that the covid patients are the ones pushing the region to the brink, although they are.

I mean logistically speaking, that's a helluva lot of PPE, ventilation equipment, etc., not to mention medical staff.

Edited by atomheartbevo

19 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Yes. Of course they are. Hopefully you aren’t suggesting that kids activities should be cancelled.

I would expect a bunch of unvaccinated kids to spread COVID rapidly. So, if you want kids to have fun then have them go to camp. If you want them to spread COVID, have them go to camp. If you want to slow the spread, then keep them home. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

I would expect a bunch of unvaccinated kids to spread COVID rapidly. So, if you want kids to have fun then have them go to camp. If you want them to spread COVID, have them go to camp. If you want to slow the spread, then keep them home. Your mileage may vary.

Yeah, keeping the kids locked up at home definitely isn’t happening (or warranted)

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Yeah, keeping the kids locked up at home definitely isn’t happening (or warranted)

Well, then the last 10 pages or so are BS. There is no way to control the new spread without vaccination or protective measures. Half-ass protective measures like wearing a mask without covering your nose, limiting restaurant and bar and airplane and religious service capacity while the unvaccinated go to daycare and camp, and other such stuff does nothing - and perhaps less than nothing as people get a false sense of protection.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Cross posted

Had a reservation  for tomorrow at 630 at Tortugas. They just called me. They are closing their entire restaurant for a week because “2/3rds of their staff has COVID.”

You should probably just cancel. If 2/3 are sharing covid, that’s not the only thing they are sharing.  

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Well, then the last 10 pages or so are BS. There is no way to control the new spread without vaccination or protective measures. Half-ass protective measures like wearing a mask without covering your nose, limiting restaurant and bar and airplane and religious service capacity while the unvaccinated go to daycare and camp, and other such stuff does nothing - and perhaps less than nothing as people get a false sense of protection.

Vaccinated people aren’t dying in mass. Neither are children. The best way to prevent spread is for the unvaccinated morons to get vaccinated. There’s almost zero risk if you’re vaxed or a child. I’m not going to continue to make sacrifices to help those too stupid to get the vaccine.

• Hook 'Em 1

But if the unvaccinated morons get vaccinated, they're almost guaranteed not to die from Covid.  You may not be fully grasping our plan.  

We are sorry for the temporary strain this is putting on the myriad Texas health care systems, but it is in service to a greater good.  

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Cross posted

Had a reservation  for tomorrow at 630 at Tortugas. They just called me. They are closing their entire restaurant for a week because “2/3rds of their staff has COVID.”

Had the same at tapas place In Florida this week. 

• Fuck You 1

19 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Ugh yeah this. I know someone that works at an Urgent Care in Houston and she says this is the most positive test results she has seen since the pandemic started. I’m sure a lot of people have it stuck in their heads this wave won’t be as bad because half the people or so are vaccinated but this shit is obviously spreading through the vaccinated as well. And we know deaths lag and while I hope they stay low we won’t fully know for weeks. And this wave doesn’t seem to be discriminating against kids this time, so shit might come to a head when school starts.