COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

2 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

uhhh thats funny. i am not saying he is wrong about anything but this kid is the son of one of our friends. he is a brilliant person (plan II / EE) but is a consultant that works on SW/EE stuff. He is not a doctor or have an expertise in pandemics or vaccines. Again, Im not saying he is wrong about anything, just good to have context when considering sources.

Good to know. Fwiw I found this tweet when he was RT’d by a cardiologist I follow. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Officially Harris County is well below previous COVID case highs from the winter. However this story in the Chronicle is that testing of the Houston wastewater system indicate we're already worse off than in the winter.   https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/According-to-Houston-s-wastewater-the-surge-of-16364538.php

The story is low on specifics but their math makes it sound like we may be currently 50% higher than this past winter.  The wastewater tests can detect virus shedding even from people with no symptoms.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Officially Harris County is well below previous COVID case highs from the winter. However this story in the Chronicle is that testing of the Houston wastewater system indicate we're already worse off than in the winter.   https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/According-to-Houston-s-wastewater-the-surge-of-16364538.php

The story is low on specifics but their math makes it sound like we may be currently 50% higher than this past winter.  The wastewater tests can detect virus shedding even from people with no symptoms.

The one thing that the county medical director kept saying where we moved from, was to keep in mind that recovered people expel virus fragments into the waste stream that gets measured by these wastewater tests. For some possibly unknown length of time.  So the calculus is always changing as to what wastewater % means as a proxy for current infections in the service area. 

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The one thing that the county medical director kept saying where we moved from, was to keep in mind that recovered people expel virus fragments into the waste stream that gets measured by these wastewater tests. For some possibly unknown length of time.  So the calculus is always changing as to what wastewater % means as a proxy for current infections in the service area. 

I think it does speak to the overall viral load in a given region though. We know that COVID infects more readily when it's a larger dose, so it's possible that we are just more inundated with COVID. Facemask usage has been at best 50%, and half the state and board think it'll all be gone in two weeks (lulz) so why make changes now?

just got tested for the first time at CVS on S Congress for a trip I am taking Monday. The site says 1-2 days turnaround, but when I asked at the drive thru they said up to 3 business. I really hope that is not the case. Anyone been tested at CVS recently? How quick were the results? I just realized I screwed up and could have gotten the rapid test but I wasn't sure if would be accepted. Turns out it will.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

just got tested for the first time at CVS on S Congress for a trip I am taking Monday. The site says 1-2 days turnaround, but when I asked at the drive thru they said up to 3 business. I really hope that is not the case. Anyone been tested at CVS recently? How quick were the results? I just realized I screwed up and could have gotten the rapid test but I wasn't sure if would be accepted. Turn out it will.

Wife did it last week. It was 3 business days. Go get a rapid test from another Provider

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

just got tested for the first time at CVS on S Congress for a trip I am taking Monday. The site says 1-2 days turnaround, but when I asked at the drive thru they said up to 3 business. I really hope that is not the case. Anyone been tested at CVS recently? How quick were the results? I just realized I screwed up and could have gotten the rapid test but I wasn't sure if would be accepted. Turns out it will.

CVS has some take-home 15 minute antigen tests. They aren't perfect but are useful in a pinch, and you get em in a two pack for like $25

My employer - a major healthcare provider in the state that most of you would have heard of - just sent out an email about "de-escalating COVID restrictions". Lulz. God damn the bean pushers are fucking clueless sometimes.

My wife and I are due to go to a wedding in Orlando in 2 weeks. It was supposed to be last year and the couple already pushed it so pretty sure it's damn the torpedoes but shit, Florida is worse than it was back then. Groom is a good friend but I barely know the bride. I'm getting close to suggesting to my wife that we bail.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

We did our youngest for Camp and he got his results back in a day or so.

12 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

got a test scheduled for Sunday at Tarrytown Pharmacy. Will cost $100, but if it gets me on my flight, it's worth it

no need to wait.  just go to total mens primary.       rapid test-  answer in 20 mins

if you havent been there before its like a $20 new client fee, then the rapid test charge.

there are appts available today,  lots tomorrow, lots more on Sat.

https://appointments.totalmens.com/#/

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

I think it does speak to the overall viral load in a given region though. We know that COVID infects more readily when it's a larger dose, so it's possible that we are just more inundated with COVID. Facemask usage has been at best 50%, and half the state and board think it'll all be gone in two weeks (lulz) so why make changes now?

Last two tests in my family had PCR tests with a two hour turnaround.  Don't know how widespread that is but it apparently can be done.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

Last two tests in my family had PCR tests with a two hour turnaround.  Don't know how widespread that is but it apparently can be done.

I have heard this before from someone, but am very skeptical unless they were taken at a facility that has a lab that can process the results.  PCR tests are usually sent to somewhere like Quest for processing overnight.

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Are you sure a rapid test will work for where ever you are going?  When we went to Turks and Caicos it had to be the PCR nasal swab and specifically not the rapid test.  We went with some offshoot of CPL Laboratories and it wasn't cheap (something like $250 or so) but we got it back the next morning.

30 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

no need to wait.  just go to total mens primary.       rapid test-  answer in 20 mins

if you havent been there before its like a $20 new client fee, then the rapid test charge.

there are appts available today,  lots tomorrow, lots more on Sat.

https://appointments.totalmens.com/#/

they only accept one type of rapid test and the pcr test (or the antibody test) for this trip. I can't do an at-home (response to some previous posts). At this point I'm good with the appt I have (both for me and my gf). Hopefully I'll get a negative result from CVS before then and I can just cancel. but thanks for the good info. that's great to know.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Catpfish said:

Are you sure a rapid test will work for where ever you are going?  When we went to Turks and Caicos it had to be the PCR nasal swab and specifically not the rapid test.  We went with some offshoot of CPL Laboratories and it wasn't cheap (something like $250 or so) but we got it back the next morning.

Travelers are required to provide evidence of:

a COVID-19 molecular (e.g., RT-PCR, viral or nucleic acid amplification) test from a nasal or throat or saliva swab sample taken and NEGATIVE result received (both within five days of commencement of travel to the Territory)

OR

a COVID-19 antigen (rapid) test from a nasal or throat swab sample taken and NEGATIVE result received (both within five days of commencement of travel to the Territory)

OR

a COVID-19 antibody (rapid) finger stick or blood draw test taken and POSITIVE result received (both within four months of commencement of travel to the Territory)

37 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

My employer just pushed return to office to next year.  Was shooting for Sept previously.

My company was aiming for mid-September and just pushed it to TBD.  The return is also going to be at 50% capacity for the foreseeable future with at least 2 days remote for all positions that can do so.

I've also heard unofficially that our Austin office is identifying which positions could be WFH full-time because they'd like to get rid of some of our square footage if possible. We pay like $1.2M/year in rent.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I have heard this before from someone, but am very skeptical unless they were taken at a facility that has a lab that can process the results.  PCR tests are usually sent to somewhere like Quest for processing overnight.

We have the rapid and the longer test done at our clinic when we send employees. We’ve had quite a few rapid tests showing up negative and then then positive on the longer test 1-2 days later, followed by the employee actually feeling sick. 

1 minute ago, UT_OB1 said:

We have the rapid and the longer test done at our clinic when we send employees. We’ve had quite a few rapid tests showing up negative and then then positive on the longer test 1-2 days later, followed by the employee actually feeling sick. 

it ain't gotta be right, it's just gotta say negative. lulz. I'm vaxed so I'm not too worried about it, but sweating it a little. can't get excited until I get that result. kinda like waiting to fuck after a sti test

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Travelers are required to provide evidence of:

a COVID-19 molecular (e.g., RT-PCR, viral or nucleic acid amplification) test from a nasal or throat or saliva swab sample taken and NEGATIVE result received (both within five days of commencement of travel to the Territory)

OR

a COVID-19 antigen (rapid) test from a nasal or throat swab sample taken and NEGATIVE result received (both within five days of commencement of travel to the Territory)

OR

a COVID-19 antibody (rapid) finger stick or blood draw test taken and POSITIVE result received (both within four months of commencement of travel to the Territory)

that's the one we did for hawaii.  2 hour turnaround from walgreens and they send a link to you through email where you DL the results.  free.  make the appt online.  they schedule 2 tests per 15 minutes.  

Some destinations won’t accept rapid tests. You should double check. There’s special labs that do Pcr Tests for international travel if needed on a short timeline. But you’ll pay. 

6 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

My company was aiming for mid-September and just pushed it to TBD.  The return is also going to be at 50% capacity for the foreseeable future with at least 2 days remote for all positions that can do so.

I've also heard unofficially that our Austin office is identifying which positions could be WFH full-time because they'd like to get rid of some of our square footage if possible. We pay like $1.2M/year in rent.

Yeah, our return to office was going to be 3 days a week.  

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

that's the one we did for hawaii.  2 hour turnaround from walgreens and they send a link to you through email where you DL the results.  free.  make the appt online.  they schedule 2 tests per 15 minutes.  

again, it's a moot point, I already have an appt. also I checked by cvs and walgreens and none had appts in time anywhere close by (even SA)

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

My employer also pushed back the return to office guidance from Sept'21 to Jan'22, but they're keeping offices open for optional usage. I've also had my fully vaxxed direct manager get COVID and know of a few other work peers in other cities that have breakthrough infections too. 

Wouldn't surprise me to see commercial real estate take it in the shorts in 2H'21, especially with so many businesses going under and downsizing.

My younger son was tested at Walgreens about two weeks ago (drive thru).  Results back in 1 hr 15 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

again, it's a moot point, I already have an appt. also I checked by cvs and walgreens and none had appts in time anywhere close by (even SA)

that's crazy, a couple weeks ago almost every time slot was available going out the next week.  now, nothing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

that's crazy, a couple weeks ago almost every time slot was available going out the next week.  now, nothing.  

My wife's aunt had to go get a test and it was the same thing. All spots are taken up for the next few weeks at both Walgreens and CVS. When we did ours in June for travel, every slot was available the next day.

38 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

we did the rapid NAAT at walgreens a couple weeks back, got all of our results back within 2 hours.  

I am planning on getting this same rapid test done for a trip to Canada in two weeks.  No flight, just a border crossing in Montana.   

Does anyone know if Canada will accept this test?  On the Canadian health website it says any molecular covid test including NAAT.  So I am hoping I will be good.   

19 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

We didn't even make an appointment two weeks ago.  Just showed up in the drive thru and they gave us one.  What a delta two weeks can make.  

/see what I did there?

21 minutes ago, Borachio said:

I am planning on getting this same rapid test done for a trip to Canada in two weeks.  No flight, just a border crossing in Montana.   

Does anyone know if Canada will accept this test?  On the Canadian health website it says any molecular covid test including NAAT.  So I am hoping I will be good.   

Go ahead and schedule it, if you can

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Borachio said:

that test (walgreen's Rapid ID NOW) is a NAAT so you're good to go.  from the walgreens website:

The Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) and Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR) provided by Walgreens are nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT).

Edited by gsoda3
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

This is where it was done.  I doubt they're faking results but who knows.

https://memorialvillageer.com/rapid-covid-19-drive-thru-testing-in-houston/?gclid=CjwKCAjwmK6IBhBqEiwAocMc8iSiKJ93iIzz6Pr2QTKikQ3YDERn115ReB3PlH0p0p5GctOWmPGtJRoCZP8QAvD_BwE

Welp, another day, more crazy covid cases for Travis County. 640 cases (202 last year 8/5). 483 people hospitalized with 78 admits.

Mask up mofos.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/5 vs 8/4 10 50 83 172 140 82 52 27 14 10 640
% of Daily Change 1.56% 7.81% 12.97% 26.88% 21.88% 12.81% 8.13% 4.22% 2.19% 1.56%  
% of Total Cases 0.64% 4.49% 10.73% 26.04% 20.79% 14.80% 10.99% 6.41% 3.12% 2.00%  
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1