COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

My company was aiming for mid-September and just pushed it to TBD.  The return is also going to be at 50% capacity for the foreseeable future with at least 2 days remote for all positions that can do so.

I've also heard unofficially that our Austin office is identifying which positions could be WFH full-time because they'd like to get rid of some of our square footage if possible. We pay like $1.2M/year in rent.

I’m so happy I work for a small company and we only have 8 folks in the office. I’ve been working from home for two weeks now and it’s driving me crazy. 

Next week I’m back in the office.  I miss my 15 minute commute routine and not being interrupted by my two year old yelling, “Daddy, where are youuuuuuuuuu???” every 5 minutes. 

Developing API integrations is not conducive with a toddler and infant. 

4 hours ago, Borachio said:

I am planning on getting this same rapid test done for a trip to Canada in two weeks.  No flight, just a border crossing in Montana.   

Does anyone know if Canada will accept this test?  On the Canadian health website it says any molecular covid test including NAAT.  So I am hoping I will be good.   

I thought that you couldn’t get into Canada unless you are an essential worker…or Canadian.

50 minutes ago, XYZ said:

I thought that you couldn’t get into Canada unless you are an essential worker…or Canadian.

Fully vaccinated Americans can travel to Canada starting August 9th.  You still have to have a negative covid test within 72 hours before entry.   :(

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2021/07/government-of-canada-announces-easing-of-border-measures-for-fully-vaccinated-travellers.html

Edited by Borachio
Sp?
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

My employer just pushed return to office to next year.  Was shooting for Sept previously.

Been back in the office since February and just got email stating “strongly recommend wearing masks” in common office areas even if vaccinated. Fuck that, you want me to wear a mask as a vaccinated individual I’ll gladly go back to working from home. Ain’t doing it no more in the “office”. So my ass is getting coffee in the kitchen sans mask

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Borachio said:

Fully vaccinated Americans can travel to Canada starting August 9th.  You still have to have a negative covid test within 72 hours before entry.   :(

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2021/07/government-of-canada-announces-easing-of-border-measures-for-fully-vaccinated-travellers.html

Better than testing before coming home. Imagine getting stuck in Mexico. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

I’m so happy I work for a small company and we only have 8 folks in the office. I’ve been working from home for two weeks now and it’s driving me crazy. 

Next week I’m back in the office.  I miss my 15 minute commute routine and not being interrupted by my two year old yelling, “Daddy, where are youuuuuuuuuu???” every 5 minutes. 

Developing API integrations is not conducive with a toddler and infant. 

It will seem like a blink, and you’ll be missing the “daddy where are youuuuu”. Enjoy it while it lasts. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dilligas said:

Been back in the office since February and just got email stating “strongly recommend wearing masks” in common office areas even if vaccinated. Fuck that, you want me to wear a mask as a vaccinated individual I’ll gladly go back to working from home. Ain’t doing it no more in the “office”. So my ass is getting coffee in the kitchen sans mask

You seem super cool and super tough.  Good for you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The department that had the positive today was told by our HR manager they had to leave work and get tested. 3/4 told her no.  One of them started yelling at her and cussing her out.  I think we should have fired them all on the spot, but they don’t report to me. They decided to give them one more talking to and one more chance (you are leaving the site, but you can leave and get tested or leave an be unemployed). 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On APHs website, they list the labs that they use to track positive cases, but I don't see common testing places like CVS, Walgreens or curative on there.

Do those places send their tests to one of the listed labs to get the results or are those positives just not counted?

10 hours ago, Dilligas said:

We’re going to need a Neil Degrasse Tyson gif, stat

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, smoky said:

On APHs website, they list the labs that they use to track positive cases, but I don't see common testing places like CVS, Walgreens or curative on there.

Do those places send their tests to one of the listed labs to get the results or are those positives just not counted?

If it's a PCR test, almost all of them get sent to a big lab for processing.  That's why those tests take a day or 2 to get results back.

Edited by kevwun

10 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

The department that had the positive today was told by our HR manager they had to leave work and get tested. 3/4 told her no.  One of them started yelling at her and cussing her out.  I think we should have fired them all on the spot, but they don’t report to me. They decided to give them one more talking to and one more chance (you are leaving the site, but you can leave and get tested or leave an be unemployed). 

While I 100% disagree with the anti-COVID vaxxers, I can at least comprehend reasoning on why someone doesn't want a vaccine they don't believe in. These are stupid people but I understand their point of view. It's like how I would reject a TexAgs poster if they told me to eat horse paste from Tractor Supply. I ain't doing it.

But refusing a COVID test and yelling at HR over it? Yes, COVID tests are unpleasant. No one wants to get one but its a 100% harmless test to discover if people could be spreading COVID. I wouldn't want to work with anyone lacking that much common sense. 

And yelling or cussing at HR? That person should be walked to the door at that moment. If you're really upset with a policy, go outside and yell at a tree. Or have the balls to go cuss out the CEO or top level person on-site.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

My 10 month old daughter went in for a follow up from her surgery 1 month ago on Monday.  Doctor decided he wanted to do a balloon dilation of her esophagus today, so we had to do a rapid test at the hospital on Monday to make sure she didn't have Covid.  Got a call 3PM on Tues that she tested positive.  She, nor mom and I, haven't been around anyone or know anyone who has it.  I was pissed.  Called her PCP, went in and got another rapid and a PCR test done.   Both were negative.  Mom and I both negative (we got it last fall when she was 2 weeks old and in the NICU).  She got her dilation done this morning.  

Poor girl has been under anesthesia 6 times in 10 months, #7 will be next friday, and she's had at least 15 Covid tests.  Can't catch a break.  

She's tough as hell.  Hang in there bud.

Edited by Post Oak
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

While I 100% disagree with the anti-COVID vaxxers, I can at least comprehend reasoning on why someone doesn't want a vaccine they don't believe in. These are stupid people but I understand their point of view. It's like how I would reject a TexAgs poster if they told me to eat horse paste from Tractor Supply. I ain't doing it.

But refusing a COVID test and yelling at HR over it? Yes, COVID tests are unpleasant. No one wants to get one but its a 100% harmless test to discover if people could be spreading COVID. I wouldn't want to work with anyone lacking that much common sense. 

And yelling or cussing at HR? That person should be walked to the door at that moment. If you're really upset with a policy, go outside and yell at a tree. Or have the balls to go cuss out the CEO or top level person on-site.

My mom works at a tractor supply and said they can't keep it on the shelves even though it is locked up.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Concur.  Would these morons throw the same temper tantrum if they found cholera in the drinking water and asked everyone to get cholera tests?  Of course not.

18 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

Concur.  Would these morons throw the same temper tantrum if they found cholera in the drinking water and asked everyone to get cholera tests?  Of course not.

I think that they will from this point forward.  The idiots have tasted their power to confound wisdom without immediate consequences, and will flex it every chance they get.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

It will seem like a blink, and you’ll be missing the “daddy where are youuuuu”. Enjoy it while it lasts. 

Oh I know you are right. I got three solid weeks with the toddler and infant in WY over July which was amazing. The work piled up during my hiatus and I did not anticipate having to quarantine for two weeks once I got back. My only productive time has been nap time. As I write this I should probably be off Surly right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

ffs, let's ignore the vax studies and glom onto dubious horse paste studies that show little promise.  you can't make this up. Just tell them that pfizer owns the patent for the horse paste anti-parasite ingredient and they will stop eating it

this is the equivalent of clicking on the 'one weird trick to cure ... ' and going in whole hog, but can poison you.

Edited by gyroprotagonist
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Horse paste what now?

I saw some woman on Facebook (some friend of a friend) who had an antivax look about her posting that she was in the hospital with Covid, and no fewer than three of the 10 replies were recommending she eat the horse paste, whatever it's called.  Nature is finding a way.

12 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

ffs, let's ignore the vax studies and glom onto dubious horse paste studies that show little promise.  you can't make this up. Just tell them that pfizer owns the patent for the horse paste anti-parasite ingredient and they will stop eating it

this is the equivalent of clicking on the 'one weird trick to cure ... ' and going in whole hog, but can poison you.

8 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I saw some woman on Facebook (some friend of a friend) who had an antivax look about her posting that she was in the hospital with Covid, and no fewer than three of the 10 replies were recommending she eat the horse paste, whatever it's called.  Nature is finding a way.

Suspicious Not Me GIF by Practice English with yadada

18 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Just tell them that pfizer owns the patent for the horse paste anti-parasite ingredient and they will stop eating it

Or, hear me out here, maybe we let them ingest it.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hanrahan said:

I am 100% certain these morons would die, or at the very least get severely fucked up, in a cholera outbreak.

HR: "Okay folks, we are having a cholera outbreak, you can't drink out of the water fountain or the faucets, it's gotta be bottled water until it's under control!"

Morons: "FUCK YOU, I'M GONNA DRINK OUT OF THE WATER FOUNTAIN BECAUSE I SAW ON HTTPS://WWW.CHOLERAISAHOAX1234J543.COM THAT CHOLERA WAS A HOAX AND YOUR SOLUTION OF DRINKING BOTTLED WATER IS AN EFFORT TO IMPACT MY VIRILITY AND MIND CONTROL ME!"

Of course, if I was the HR person in that situation, I'd be saying "I can neither confirm nor deny that cholera is a hoax and that we are trying to get you to drink bottled water to mess with your virility and control your mind."

And if I was a fellow employee, I'd be saying "Don't let HR tell you what to do or that cholera is a hoax, just wait until they are gone and take the tape and plastic off the water fountain and drink up!"

13 hours ago, Dilligas said:

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Dilligas said:

"all women wanted him and all other men wanted to be him."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

If you reject the request to wear a mask when you’re at the coffee bar, you’re the asshole that no one likes. Most likely you suck at your job even though you think you’re the dept mvp. You’re actually a net negative in the office. 
Maybe.

Behavior should change as local data changes.

There's a big difference between 15 new cases per day in Travis county compared to 750 new cases.

The request to wear masks should be based on local stats.

Today, in Austin, it makes sense to be prudent. In 4 weeks when this has passed, I'd expect behavior to change as well.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I am 100% certain these morons would die, or at the very least get severely fucked up, in a cholera outbreak.

HR: "Okay folks, we are having a cholera outbreak, you can't drink out of the water fountain or the faucets, it's gotta be bottled water until it's under control!"

Morons: "FUCK YOU, I'M GONNA DRINK OUT OF THE WATER FOUNTAIN BECAUSE I SAW ON HTTPS://WWW.CHOLERAISAHOAX1234J543.COM THAT CHOLERA WAS A HOAX AND YOUR SOLUTION OF DRINKING BOTTLED WATER IS AN EFFORT TO IMPACT MY VIRILITY AND MIND CONTROL ME!"

Severe oppositional defiant disorder (ODD, DSM-5), most often found in immature children.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Any updated data on what the percentage is of vaccinated vs. unvaccinated hospitalizations?

From 7/19 to 8/1, 80% of hospital admissions in Austin were unvaccinated, 17% were vaccinated, and the rest were partials.  See here, page 23.  

Edited by bschoolprof
  • Hook 'Em 4