COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

There is probably fair doubt about the effectiveness of masks with children. The effectiveness is greater than 0, so I don't have a problem asking people to wear masks. But do cloth masks help a lot? I don't think we fully know especially when dealing with children under 10 who may struggle to wear it correctly.
FYi about that doctor. I saw online that he's a concierge family medicine doctor. In my limited experience with concierge physicians is that they can run the gamut from good physicians to quacks. On the quack side of things, due to their beliefs and practices, they have no or limited relationships with hospitals. And they don't accept insurance because insurance companies won't approve the changes. Now why this guy is concierge, who knows.
I've tried to look at his practice web site but it seems to be down.  Probably half of the traffic is to see if he will help them get human version of the horse paste, and the other half to laugh at him.

Just common sense. The old Washing Hands Thoroughly debate. Just because a large portion of the gen pop does not adequately wash hands with soap and water, does not mean handwashing mandates and education have not been wildly successful. Because they have.

Children can be disgusting and have to be trained to cover their coughs. Even if mandates raise adequate mask compliance 30-40% of the time, that can have a massive effect on the infection rate. Even cloth masks can prevent loads of virus hanging in the air in thousands and thousands of circumstances.

Cover your cough PSAs do not prevent but mitigate the spread of viruses. Cloth masks clearly have an impact, but are even more effective than your arm. There is little doubt.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Talking about cover your cough PSAs not preventing all spread reminded me of the most ridiculous thing I've witnessed in person throughout Covid. At Home Depot, and as I'm heading to check out, a guy in line raised his mask, sneezed into his elbow, and then placed the mask back in its proper spot on his face. This was probably last August, and I still chuckle about it every time it crosses my mind. 

Edited by SquishMitten
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Good news is that Texas vaccination rates have had a significant uptick the last few weeks with Delta constantly in the headlines.  Up to almost 64% 1st dose.  It won't help much in the short term but should this fall.

Is there a way to get the full vax rate for those 12 and up?  And first shot vax rate for same?

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That's the part that is so annoying. They don't have the courage of their convictions, they are just idiots.  They aren't opposed to doing what someone with some perceived authority or knowledge tells them to do- they just want to pick the dumbest person and follow that authority.  If they were all Christian Scientists or whatever sects don't believe in medical care that's goofy and crazy but fine- don't do medical care. But they aren't that.  They want care.  They just want the worst/dumbest possible solution to this thing.

The dumbest person in the room is the only one blindly confident they are the smartest person in the room.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

A guy on my team out of our PHX office tested positive yesterday. He got the J&J shot. Today on team call I had to listen to an hour of these motherfuckers whining about how the shot is worthless because of that and that is why no one should take them. It is simply a ploy to line the drug companies pockets. Everyone was agreeing with ring leaders about this. My office might be fucked in a few weeks/month

• Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Is there a way to get the full vax rate for those 12 and up?  And first shot vax rate for same?

You mean the internet?  Google?  

you deserved that response to that question. If you google that you’ll have about 5 easy to read top hits that have been tracking and presenting that data. 

1CC72113-8FE1-4D01-8B9C-BA41FC0979F9.png

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Good news is that Texas vaccination rates have had a significant uptick the last few weeks with Delta constantly in the headlines.  Up to almost 64% 1st dose.  It won't help much in the short term but should this fall.

64% of eligible or 64% of population as a whole. If it's 64% of population as a whole that's pretty good news with all the kids that can't be vaxed. My extended family (16 people) is like 50% vaxed but it's 87% vaxed that's eligible (and the other laggards are recovered cases).  If we are at 64% Vaxed of total population that's got to be working in between 75 and 80% of vax eligible- which seems pretty good to me.  With recovered cases that would be over 80% with a decent immunity or not a whole lot of concern about being a spreader b/c they are little. 

16 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

You mean the internet?  Google?  

you deserved that response to that question. If you google that you’ll have about 5 easy to read top hits that have been tracking and presenting that data. 

1CC72113-8FE1-4D01-8B9C-BA41FC0979F9.png

Although I always appreciate a smart ass response I don't think that's probably what he's asking for (breakout in ages by percentage), but rather the vax percentage for all available people who can vax.  That's how I took it anyway.  That's certainly not what that chart shows. That chart isn't super helpful for figuring out the scope of the problem. 

And look at that- the boomers doing something helpful.  This thing, obviously hitting them hardest, has them motivated.  

58 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Although I always appreciate a smart ass response I don't think that's probably what he's asking for (breakout in ages by percentage), but rather the vax percentage for all available people who can vax.  That's how I took it anyway.  That's certainly not what that chart shows. That chart isn't super helpful for figuring out the scope of the problem. 

And look at that- the boomers doing something helpful.  This thing, obviously hitting them hardest, has them motivated.  

57 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I took it to mean he wanted the age breakdown.  That number was 2 scrolls up on the same page 🙄

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

64% of eligible or 64% of population as a whole. If it's 64% of population as a whole that's pretty good news with all the kids that can't be vaxed. My extended family (16 people) is like 50% vaxed but it's 87% vaxed that's eligible (and the other laggards are recovered cases).  If we are at 64% Vaxed of total population that's got to be working in between 75 and 80% of vax eligible- which seems pretty good to me.  With recovered cases that would be over 80% with a decent immunity or not a whole lot of concern about being a spreader b/c they are little. 

It is not 64% of population unfortunately. It is 64% of those eligible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

It is not 64% of population unfortunately. It is 64% of those eligible. 

And that's not even full vax, that's just "at least 1 jab, right?"  That sort of sucks. It's better than just about anywhere else in the world that's experiencing this thing, but less than it could/should be.  

Good news is that new cases seem to be on a downward trend.  583 reported today compared to 601 last Tuesday.  ICU admits are actually down 2, but hospitalizations are up still.  People on vents is also up to 128 from 116 yesterday.

Hopefully the cases continue to fall and hospitalizations, etc will start to follow suit in a week or two

Source: https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

image.thumb.png.38db0d50f7c5d2780b62a3d1f4c7fe07.png

image.thumb.png.e950eecc892b1511b58a58f26af641ef.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How good is austin as a proxy for the state or beyond?  My guess is not great. 

All the big cities to some extent are going to get hospitalizations sent over from other places, right?  So they should all be artificially higher than elsewhere you would imagine. Austin with their hospital district more than most...

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

And that's not even full vax, that's just "at least 1 jab, right?"  That sort of sucks. It's better than just about anywhere else in the world that's experiencing this thing, but less than it could/should be.  

Yeah, it still kind of sucks.  I don't have hard numbers but end of June through first half of July we were only adding around 100K new "first jabs" per week as demand hit bottom.  Last 2 weeks have been over 300K/week.   So not great but hoping the combination of a shit load of infections + increased vaccinations helps slow this down in the coming weeks/months

18 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

All the big cities to some extent are going to get hospitalizations sent over from other places, right?

This has to be driving a big chunk of current hospitalizations but I haven't seen any actual numbers.  Has anyone else?   A huge chunk of the rural counties have only vaccinated somewhere in the 40% - 60% range for 65+.  That has to be driving a lot of the current hospitalizations.  No doubt many of them are being shipped to the cities.

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yeah, it still kind of sucks.  I don't have hard numbers but end of June through first half of July we were only adding around 100K new "first jabs" per week as demand hit bottom.  Last 2 weeks have been over 300K/week.   So not great but hoping the combination of a shit load of infections + increased vaccinations helps slow this down in the coming weeks/months

I'd love to know the total aggregate number of kids (shitty vectors), vaxxed, and recovered but not vaxxed. 

29 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This has to be driving a big chunk of current hospitalizations but I haven't seen any actual numbers.  Has anyone else?   A huge chunk of the rural counties have only vaccinated somewhere in the 40% - 60% range for 65+.  That has to be driving a lot of the current hospitalizations.  No doubt many of them are being shipped to the cities.

Someone posted it before, but San Saba county was below 30%

• Rage+1 1

One of the local TV stations had a quote that something like 80% of Austin's hospitalizations were from one of the zip codes near Del Valle. I'll try to find a link to their story, but I couldn't ever find their back up.

Looking at the case map for Travis county, most of the cases from the past 14 days are from Pflugerville and del Valle, so it could be true.

46 minutes ago, Skipper said:

From 7/19 to 8/1, 83% of Austin MSA covid hospital admissions came from people residing in Travis, Williamson, and Hays counties.    The other 17% came from surrounding counties (Bastrop, Caldwell, Milam, Llano).  link

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

It is driving the numbers in areas like Abilene, Lubbock, Midland, etc. And to a much lesser degree in the mass populated areas.  Most of those hospitalizations are from outlying areas that are serviced by the one hospital that has an ICU or critical care capabilities. For instance, I’ve transported 3 people in the last two weeks from Breckenridge to Abilene, and one from Eastland to Wichita Falls. I’m not sure that a hospital like Palo Pinto General in Mineral Wells even knows how to spell covid, hence the outflow to the larger areas.

• Hook 'Em 2

Is there any data anywhere for percentages of hospitalized vaxxed vs unvaxxed? I'm having a discussion with some distant family members and making good progress, but this seems to be the hangup ATM. I can't find it anywhere in the TMC dashboard, but I thought someone had posted numbers somewhere. I'll take any info from any of the major Texas metros. 

• Fuck You 1

Is there any data anywhere for percentages of hospitalized vaxxed vs unvaxxed? I'm having a discussion with some distant family members and making good progress, but this seems to be the hangup ATM. I can't find it anywhere in the TMC dashboard, but I thought someone had posted numbers somewhere. I'll take any info from any of the major Texas metros. 
Click on bschoolprofs link 3 posts up.
  • Hook 'Em 2

So this seems...not good.

NBC 5 posted this graphic just now.

DFW Hospital Council reporting today:

Only 2 remaining Pediatric ICU beds (in the 19 county region) available.

64 pediatric COVID patients (I am assuming this is ICU patients)

9 more since yesterday.

150 children on ventilators. 

Not sure how the 150 children on ventilators jibes with only 64 pediatric patients, unless there are a lot of children on ventilators for non-COVID reasons or some are on ventilators that aren't in the ICU.

Edited by DDD Dad

28 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Texas does not release this information, but other states do.  

Here in CO, over 95% of all hospitalizations are unvaccinated.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/coronavirus/colorado-data-shows-95-of-people-hospitalized-with-covid-in-colorado-since-january-were-unvaccinated

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

9 more since yesterday.

Not sure how that jibes with the 64 pediatric patients.

This seems to mean kids are getting severely sick from this stuff.  

Slight reduction in cases on Tuesday this week in Travis County vs last week but not material (only 18 fewer) so no big difference to see.

583 cases today in Travis County, still heavily skewing younger. 569 people hospitalized (highest since January of this year). 81 admits.

Good news is ICU dropped a tad to 188, bad news is vents popped up by 12 to 128. The 128 on vents is the highest it has been pandemic to date. If you are not vaccinated I highly encourage you to do so. You can still drink fish tank shit and put horse paste up your ass, but get the shot in your arm.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/10 vs 8/9 7 52 51 160 146 73 53 25 10 6 583
% of Daily Change 1.20% 8.92% 8.75% 27.44% 25.04% 12.52% 9.09% 4.29% 1.72% 1.03%  
% of Total Cases 0.65% 4.53% 10.72% 26.04% 20.85% 14.78% 10.96% 6.39% 3.10% 1.99%  
  • Hook 'Em 6

12 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

9 more since yesterday.

Not sure how that jibes with the 64 pediatric patients.

Lots of RSV kids on vents according to my kids’ MD.  She said Methodist ICU for kids is 2/3 RSV  1/3 Covid.  RSV basically from reopening and re socializing.  Effectively the same number of kids got it as would normally, just kind of all at once. 

Edited by Liquor and Poker
Got my M hospitals mixed
  • Hook 'Em 4

This seems to mean kids are getting severely sick from this stuff.  

Kids are sick from not having had their immune systems challenged for 20 months. It’s not Covid. My hospital has been full since the end of May with RSV and bronchiolitis. This is an illness we don’t see until mid October and is full bore around January. We are above typical l January numbers and it’s july/august. We just climbed above 2 Covid cases at once last week for the first time since November.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1