COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Getting a test last time around was the holy grail. I can't imagine people are even close to as likely to be tested- especially since the people getting sick are likely not vaxxed, and less interested in finding out if they are positive. That'd be my guess.  

I think that is a fair guess.  When the overlay of people most likely to get it is heavy with "people who don't believe it's a real thing" and/or "people who would be too embarrassed to be publicly proven to have made a dumb choice," they are most likely to lay low.

For example, I was dealing with person a few weeks ago who is a crackpot anti-vax right wing conspiracy nut (refers to COVID as "the China virus" every chance he gets).  Called him one day, and he really couldn't talk long, he was miserable with "the flu."  Bullshit.  The flu wasn't going around like wildfire.  COVID is.  He had COVID, and it made him pretty damned sick.  But he never admitted it, will never admit it, and surely never got tested.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Maybe, maybe not.  Because I'm pretty sure the "ICU beds occupied" and the "people on vents" is NOT just COVID cases.  And at present, we are experiencing a big spike in RSV cases which have a lot of people in the ICU and on respirators -- in other words, we may have two viral illnesses contributing to the same problem (occupied ICU beds and vents) at the same time.  The only two data points that seem to be COVID-only are 1) COVID cases and 2) COVID deaths.  I really would love to see the ICU beds and vents broken out by COVID cases only.

Ah ok, I think hospitalizations are also covid only, right?

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I think that is a fair guess.  When the overlay of people most likely to get it is heavy with "people who don't believe it's a real thing" and/or "people who would be too embarrassed to be publicly proven to have made a dumb choice," they are most likely to lay low.

For example, I was dealing with person a few weeks ago who is a crackpot anti-vax right wing conspiracy nut (refers to COVID as "the China virus" every chance he gets).  Called him one day, and he really couldn't talk long, he was miserable with "the flu."  Bullshit.  The flu wasn't going around like wildfire.  COVID is.  He had COVID, and it made him pretty damned sick.  But he never admitted it, will never admit it, and surely never got tested.

As soon as someone says "China Virus" to me, I immediately stop talking to them.  From that one phrase I can tell whether I can have a rational conversation or not

• Hook 'Em 6

Getting a test last time around was the holy grail. I can't imagine people are even close to as likely to be tested- especially since the people getting sick are likely not vaxxed, and less interested in finding out if they are positive. That'd be my guess.  
I got tested last week before going to see my mom- I have been traveling. Appointments were hard to find and our testing capacity has fallen off a cliff since May. Ended up driving to San Marcos.

we spiked the ball well short of the endzone.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

There is an RSV vaccine I believe, but it’s only indicated for high risk patients for some reason if I recall correctly what our pediatrician said years ago. 

My kids got it for two years after being born premature.  Cost 5 figures a shot.  Had to dip into the mortgage.  

• Rage+1 2

As soon as someone says "China Virus" to me, I immediately stop talking to them.  From that one phrase I can tell whether I can have a rational conversation or not
I got mildly harassed down on the coast for wearing a mask to buy ice. "scared of the China virus"? it's going to rip through those communities. I think I saw one other dude with a mask in POC and zero in port a, which was packed. Small sample size as I avoided people and being inside the entire trip.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Tarrant County has some good stats on hospital occupancy.  Currently 90% of beds occupied.  At peak of wave in early January the 7 day moving average for beds occupied by lab confirmed C19 cases was 1490.  Today we sit at 734 as 7 day moving average of beds occupied by C19 cases.  Interestingly 90% was about how high total bed occupancy got at peak of last wave (ICU beds were almost all full up and presently sit at 93%). So there are just as many beds occupied right now from a % standpoint but only half as many Covid cases occupying as early January.  Could be they had a bit more capacity back then, could be other stuff either elective and or other illness taking up beds. 

2 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
16 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I got mildly harassed down on the coast for wearing a mask to buy ice. "scared of the China virus"? it's going to rip through those communities. I think I saw one other dude with a mask in POC and zero in port a, which was packed. Small sample size as I avoided people and being inside the entire trip.

I took the family to port A three weeks ago, and regretted it as there was absolutely no sense of a need for safety and I have a kid under 12.  Even worse, you can't really take out food there because of a restaurant staffing shortage.  We cooked almost the entire trip.

1 hour ago, smoky said:

For the vaccinated who are back to wearing masks indoors, what data are you using for when it's safe to go back indoors without a mask?

When I see the Harris County dip to a low #. I don't have an exact threshold, which I realize is not scientific. It also might depend on the size of the crowd wherever I'm at.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

In the most predictable local Dallas news ever, Jenkins is directly challenging Abbot's order and reinstituting a mask ban in Dallas county.  Even though I happen to agree with it given the state of things, he was just waiting for things to get bad enough to grandstand LOL.

1 hour ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

I took the family to port A three weeks ago, and regretted it as there was absolutely no sense of a need for safety and I have a kid under 12.  Even worse, you can't really take out food there because of a restaurant staffing shortage.  We cooked almost the entire trip.

I was in Aspen for a month and just got back.  Maybe 5% of the people were wearing masks indoors.

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

We are in the middle of one of the worst RSV outbreaks in decades.  When my daughter had her 2nd esophagus surgery on July 8, McLane Children's in Temple (which has 64 total beds I believe) had 60 of 64 beds taken up with kids with RSV/Pnemonia/Bronchitis.  The COVID kids were kept in a separate area from the regular beds as far as I know.  

can you tell me more about this? why a huge rsv outbreak going on? is that driving the children's ER numbers? All I'm seeing reported on is kids covid going apeshit

7 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

can you tell me more about this? why a huge rsv outbreak going on? is that driving the children's ER numbers? All I'm seeing reported on is kids covid going apeshit

Honestly, a lot of it was isolating children away from each other for so long and then putting them back together again.   Their little immune systems weren’t ready.  It’s been going  crazy for 2 months now and is barely talked about because of Covid.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Trey3216 said:

It was hell getting the captain and crew to maintain protocol on the way home from Bora Bora the past couple weeks.  

Isn’t the point of having a captain and crew so that they can handle the ocean crossings while you fly home in the Gulfstream?

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I was in Aspen for a month and just got back.  Maybe 5% of the people were wearing masks indoors.

Things are changing rapidly in CO.  As of last week there was no reason to mask indoors.  That is changing as our cases jump up.  And you're way overstating the % of vaccinated people here, even in Aspen.  Pitkin County is 62% vaccinated.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Honestly, a lot of it was isolating children away from each other for so long and then putting them back together again.   Their little immune systems weren’t ready.  It’s been going  crazy for 2 months now and is barely talked about because of Covid.  

Just wait for back to school. The non covid shit is going to catch up to us at some point. Perhaps already is. 

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You don't know shit and run your mouth a bunch.  You are a dime a dozen.  Everyone grew up with lots of dickheads like you.

If it was your house, you wouldn't always say things like "my family has owned property in CO for X years" and "my family has a 12,000 acre ranch in S Texas".  Congrats for being born into money.  You didn't earn it, though.  

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

If it was your house, you wouldn't always say things like "my family has owned property in CO for X years" and "my family has a 12,000 acre ranch in S Texas".  Congrats for being born into money.  You didn't earn it, though.  

Such a small mind.  You can have a family that was successful.  And have your own success.  It isn't uncommon.  And if you knew anything about me or my family you'd know there is zero free rides or trust funds.  I have money because my wife and I work and have had success as lawyers.  I have siblings and cousins who are pretty much paycheck to paycheck.

I do not own a place in Aspen.  I did rent a place there like I do every summer.  With my own money.  If you want to know specifics it is not some fancy place, but it does have a great location.  It is Lift One Condominiums on East Durant and Aspen, two blocks from Wagner Park.  I think I paid $15k for the month rental.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Such a small mind.  You can have a family that was successful.  And have your own success.  It isn't uncommon.  And if you knew anything about me or my family you'd know there is zero free rides or trust funds.  I have money because my wife and I work and have had success as lawyers.  I have siblings and cousins who are pretty much paycheck to paycheck.

I do not own a place in Aspen.  I did rent a place there like I do every summer.  With my own money.  If you want to know specifics it is not some fancy place, but it does have a great location.  It is Lift One Condominiums on East Durant and Aspen, two blocks from Wagner Park.  I think I paid $15k for the month rental.

well ya know what they say about lawyers...... 

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Settle down, Spaulding.  You'll blow a gasket.

• Haha 1

Welp another shitty day for Travis County with a slight uptick from last Wednesday.

533 cases today with 596 hospitalized (we haven't had >600 hospitalized since Jan 20th but it would look like we will be clipping past that number). In case you are curious our all time high in terms of hospitalizations for Travis County has been 619 so we have something to aim for.

93 admits today. 132 on vents (all time high) & 198 ICU (also all time high)

I cannot believe people would rather go to ICU/be hospitalized over some political bullshit than get the vaccine. Fucktards. (I get they don't view it through that lens but here we the fuck are nonetheless)

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/11 vs 8/10 2 30 55 134 115 81 48 43 17 8 533
% of Daily Change 0.38% 5.63% 10.32% 25.14% 21.58% 15.20% 9.01% 8.07% 3.19% 1.50%  
% of Total Cases 0.64% 4.54% 10.72% 26.04% 20.85% 14.78% 10.95% 6.40% 3.10% 1.98%  
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Welp another shitty day for Travis County with a slight uptick from last Wednesday.

533 cases today with 596 hospitalized (we haven't had >600 hospitalized since Jan 20th but it would look like we will be clipping past that number). In case you are curious our all time high in terms of hospitalizations for Travis County has been 619 so we have something to aim for.

93 admits today. 132 on vents (all time high) & 198 ICU (also all time high)

I cannot believe people would rather go to ICU/be hospitalized over some political bullshit than get the vaccine. Fucktards. (I get they don't view it through that lens but here we the fuck are nonetheless)

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/11 vs 8/10 2 30 55 134 115 81 48 43 17 8 533
% of Daily Change 0.38% 5.63% 10.32% 25.14% 21.58% 15.20% 9.01% 8.07% 3.19% 1.50%  
% of Total Cases 0.64% 4.54% 10.72% 26.04% 20.85% 14.78% 10.95% 6.40% 3.10% 1.98%  

Hmm. In Travis county. In mid August. Before school starts. That seems. Bad. 

20-50 year olds leading the charge. We all know why they’re in the hospital. It was a personal choice too.

Just now, JimmyJames said:

Hmm. In Travis county. In mid August. Before school starts. That seems. Bad. 

20-50 year olds leading the charge. We all know why they’re in the hospital. It was a personal choice too.

As a parent of two school age kids (6th & 9th grade) that around June thought this was pretty much on downward trend and now I am looking at back to school being a total shit show and life going back to lockdown time all due to people who would rather listen to Joe Rogan for medical advice and take horse paste vs a vaccine I am very perturbed. Just a fucking joke what a selfish, me first society we live in.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

As a parent of two school age kids (6th & 9th grade) that around June thought this was pretty much on downward trend and now I am looking at back to school being a total shit show and life going back to lockdown time all due to people who would rather listen to Joe Rogan for medical advice and take horse paste vs a vaccine I am very perturbed. Just a fucking joke what a selfish, me first society we live in.

I agree with this 100 percent. My youngest is a senior in high school and I was looking forward to a relatively normal senior year but now, who knows. All because of a bunch of straight up morons fucking it up for all of us. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

thats unfortunate.  nearly 100% masking in the Seychelles but even with that I made the help hold their breath when they were within 6 feet.

Killeen isn't doing nearly as well. Maybe Seychelles would be a better place to relax.

In the most predictable local Dallas news ever, Jenkins is directly challenging Abbot's order and reinstituting a mask ban in Dallas county.  Even though I happen to agree with it given the state of things, he was just waiting for things to get bad enough to grandstand LOL.

Just for a point of reference, Clay Jenkins is the same astronaut that violated the subject matter experts advice and refused to don a single piece of PPE before entering Thomas Eric Duncan’s apartment to inform his family that they were being quarantined because he was suspected to have Ebola. And upon exiting the apartment he refused to be decontaminated.

1 hour ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Niece’s first day of school. They had even more growth in the district than expected. 40+ in each classroom.
73fa6f7b1d3c1d38604863373588a8d7.jpg

My kids got the same in HS. Says kids during lunch end up sitting on floor, too many to a table, etc and now there is talk in this environment of mandating masks by local county judge. Not sure on the science of how it works with kids crammed together as it is.