COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Twisted my ankle pretty good an hour ago and am having a hell of a time finding a place with time available to get an X-ray. I wonder why that is?

maybe the same reason I don’t want to go sit at the hospital for hours waiting?

Rub some dirt on it and walk it off. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Twisted my ankle pretty good an hour ago and am having a hell of a time finding a place with time available to get an X-ray. I wonder why that is?

maybe the same reason I don’t want to go sit at the hospital for hours waiting?

a really really quick way to self-diagnose is to put a vibrating toothbrush on it.  if it hurts you probably have some sort of fracture.  if not it's probably just a sprain.

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I do have a vibrating…toothbrush but I’m going to ask for some explanation before I trust it.

it's what we used to do for foot and ankle injuries in martial arts except instead of toothbrush it was the handle from a massage apparatus.  i can't remember the reasoning behind it or if i ever even knew it, but one of the other students was a marine and showed us.  

34 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

a really really quick way to self-diagnose is to put a vibrating toothbrush on it.  if it hurts you probably have some sort of fracture.  if not it's probably just a sprain.

If you are in a sand-dune in Iraq, it is better than nothing, otherwise the data is very mixed to say it is a good way to definitively rule in/out fracture.  If competent you can use Ottawa Ankle Rules - https://www.mdcalc.com/ottawa-ankle-rule

Now back to Covid...

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, huge said:

Ok so are you fully vaxxed people wearing masks indoors 100%?

I am whenever I'm in an indoor space or crowded outdoor space because my sister is in the middle of early cancer treatment and I've been seeing her and her kiddos pretty much every weekend since they moved back to TX. We know that the virus can breakthrough a vaccinated person and make them contagious for a time.

Wearing a facemask is zero effort and protects my family from a still incredibly contagious respiratory disease. I'm not such a selfish asshat that I'd place my own personal comfort over my loved ones health.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, huge said:

In crowded indoor spaces like grocery stores, I'm back to masking for the time being.  Our office is not crowded and I know who, here, has had the vaccine.  So I don't do it at work and avoid the nutters.  The people we socialize with are vaxxed.  So if I'm hanging out with them at their house, for instance, no masks.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, huge said:

If I'm around my co-workers but not too close, I'm ok not wearing a mask. They're 100% vaccinated.  Around anyone else, I'm masked. Why not. Even though I'm fully vaxxed, I know there is a chance I could catch it and pass it onto others. Wearing a mask for a few minutes isn't a heavy ask even if it might be overkill for me.

45 minutes ago, huge said:

places that require it like airports or restaurants...yes.

places like central market where my elitist, greedy lifestyle has not yet succeeded in fully segregating me from the rest of the dumbfuck, dirty motherfuckers that exist on this planet...yes.

everywhere else, no.

17 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i'm masking indoors unless i'm doing some type of physical activity. 

I'm back to using my N95 in my building (primarily to take the elevator) and in grocery stores, etc.  DDD Mom is going in for surgery Friday so I've stopped going to my workout classes until she's back home and recovered.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I wear a mask when others are. Airport? Yes. Grocery store? Sure why not. Bar/restaurant? Nope

Same here.  I do wear a mask when I'm not seated at a restaurant, i.e., when entering or leaving the place or using the restroom.  I understand that's probably more ceremonial because not wearing a mask for 98% of the time I'm inside the restaurant is practically the same as not wearing a mask at all.  But I'm also dining in restaurants less frequently until we get out of this latest surge.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, huge said:

i am not unless the place requires or 'strongly recommends' it. in Austin that tends to put me in the minority from what i can tell. i do wear an 'i'm covid-19 vaccinated' sport thingy on my wrist when i go out, just bc maybe it prevents someone from going Karen on me lol. i'm not looking for confrontation, i still maintain distance and whatnot.

if my gym starts requiring them i'll have to stop going again, which will suuuuck 😕 i do not see how people are working out strenuously while wearing one, i can't do it 😒

2 hours ago, huge said:

Nope, only if required which is nowhere in Texarkana. Last time I wore a mask was in June on my flight to Cabo. I had jury duty yesterday and I'd say about 10 out of 250 had a mask. It worked out to their advantage too, judge let them use the excuse of being concerned about sitting next to unmasked jurors as an excuse not to serve.

Edited by rpspeed

3 minutes ago, rpspeed said:

Nope. I had jury duty yesterday and I'd say about 10 out of 250 had a mask. It worked out to their advantage too, judge let them use the excuse of being concerned about sitting next to unmasked jurors as an excuse not to serve.

Which county?  Travis County isn't back to in-person jury trials.

19 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

So this seems...not good.

NBC 5 posted this graphic just now.

DFW Hospital Council reporting today:

Only 2 remaining Pediatric ICU beds (in the 19 county region) available.

64 pediatric COVID patients (I am assuming this is ICU patients)

9 more since yesterday.

150 children on ventilators. 

Not sure how the 150 children on ventilators jibes with only 64 pediatric patients, unless there are a lot of children on ventilators for non-COVID reasons or some are on ventilators that aren't in the ICU.

We are in the middle of one of the worst RSV outbreaks in decades.  When my daughter had her 2nd esophagus surgery on July 8, McLane Children's in Temple (which has 64 total beds I believe) had 60 of 64 beds taken up with kids with RSV/Pnemonia/Bronchitis.  The COVID kids were kept in a separate area from the regular beds as far as I know.  

6 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

We are in the middle of one of the worst RSV outbreaks in decades.  When my daughter had her 2nd esophagus surgery on July 8, McLane Children's in Temple (which has 64 total beds I believe) had 60 of 64 beds taken up with kids with RSV/Pnemonia/Bronchitis.  The COVID kids were kept in a separate area from the regular beds as far as I know.  

multiple friends had kids in the hospital in the last month with RSV.  mainly RSV is taking up the pediatric beds.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

After a couple of days out, we're back in the top 10 again.  Crazy thing is that for the first time that I recall, the SEC + Oklahoma now has a clean sweep of the top 12 states in infection rate.  SEC! SEC! SEC! 

(source:  washingtonpost.com)

image.thumb.png.06db657898a4e255b6b9d0786ac7b72d.png

What the fuck is wrong with you Virgin Islands?

My 2 month old was at Texas Childrens Hospital for 5 days with RSV last month. High flow oxygen and IMU care. My twin 5 yr olds brought it home from their preschool. They were the only ones in their class that wore masks and still got it (yes I know how it spreads).

Last week, another CRNA in our group had her 6 month old at TCH for 5 days for RSV also

40 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

After a couple of days out, we're back in the top 10 again.  Crazy thing is that for the first time that I recall, the SEC + Oklahoma now has a clean sweep of the top 12 states in infection rate.  SEC! SEC! SEC!

Texas is going to have to put in some work if we want to make that four-team playoff.

Cases (533) continuing to at least not go hockey stick.  Pretty much the same place we were Wednesday last week (527), but down from the peak last Fri.  Hospitalizations (596, +27 DoD), ICU admits (198, +10 DoD), and those on vents (132, +4) all still going the wrong direction.

Cases:

image.thumb.png.8c61e244709165e600d3b1f90bcfac63.png

Hospitalizations:

image.thumb.png.b2353d2e5893acf934e4cd3fe9584828.png

Source: https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Cases (533) continuing to at least not go hockey stick.  Pretty much the same place we were Wednesday last week (527), but down from the peak last Fri.  Hospitalizations (596, +27 DoD), ICU admits (198, +10 DoD), and those on vents (132, +4) all still going the wrong direction.

Cases:

image.thumb.png.8c61e244709165e600d3b1f90bcfac63.png

Hospitalizations:

image.thumb.png.b2353d2e5893acf934e4cd3fe9584828.png

Source: https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

Also, this data just screams to me, we're either WAY under reporting cases compared to earlier, or Delta is landing a much higher % in the hospital.  We've set new records for ICU, and people on vents without even getting close to the same number of cases.

4 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Also, this data just screams to me, we're either WAY under reporting cases compared to earlier, or Delta is landing a much higher % in the hospital.  We've set new records for ICU, and people on vents without even getting close to the same number of cases.

Maybe, maybe not.  Because I'm pretty sure the "ICU beds occupied" and the "people on vents" is NOT just COVID cases.  And at present, we are experiencing a big spike in RSV cases which have a lot of people in the ICU and on respirators -- in other words, we may have two viral illnesses contributing to the same problem (occupied ICU beds and vents) at the same time.  The only two data points that seem to be COVID-only are 1) COVID cases and 2) COVID deaths.  I really would love to see the ICU beds and vents broken out by COVID cases only.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Getting a test last time around was the holy grail. I can't imagine people are even close to as likely to be tested- especially since the people getting sick are likely not vaxxed, and less interested in finding out if they are positive. That'd be my guess.