COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m gonna guess East Texas.

Waco Midway. 

I think my kids are going to be the only ones in their class wearing masks.  The classroom is small only about 12 kids.  

Per the principal, no virtual learning opportunities because the government hasn't funded any.  She said there was a type of virtual school but it isn't affiliated with Midway.  I guess I'll look into that.  

I'm still going to send them on the first day because I want them to experience that and I want to know the routine in case I have to pull them out and them bring them back.

I can squint and see why adults who aren't vaccinated aren't wearing masks but I will never understand why their kids are unmasked.

On 8/11/2021 at 2:00 PM, smoky said:

For the vaccinated who are back to wearing masks indoors, what data are you using for when it's safe to go back indoors without a mask?

When the R(t) is back under 1.0 for enough time that it's not just a mathematical error stemming from the fact that we're only getting data twice per week and all the other days are "mark it zero."

• Hook 'Em 1

^^ I've had something all week that is whipping my ass. Felt like covid symptoms I had last year but I felt worse this time. 1 rapid test negative and the 2-3 wait test negative also so not sure what it is exactly but it's rough. The whole week my gf has felt fine though.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m gonna guess East Texas.

If not in his case, I'll give you some data.  Went to a middle school athletics meeting in Tyler on Monday and my kid and I were in the minority of masked up.  We both are vaccinated.  I'm guessing 15% max masked up.  It is what it is.  It's going to be a mess.  Hoping the vaccine holds up for us.  Both of our kids (vaxxed) have no problem wearing a mask to school.  Most of the other masked up folks were Latino or Black.  I'm not saying we were the only white boys with face covers, but we might have been.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Welp, our 13 month old had to come home from daycare today due to a positive in his class. So we are in 14 day quarantine. Started a runny nose and cough last night, but otherwise his normal self. Doc said to get him tested Saturday, so that is the plan.

Stay safe. Keep us updated

Just now, Zepol87 said:

^^ I've had something all week that is whipping my ass. Felt like covid symptoms I had last year but I felt worse this time. 1 rapid test negative and the 2-3 wait test negative also so not sure what it is exactly but it's rough. The whole week my gf has felt fine though.

That’s more likely rsv than a cold

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Waco Midway. 

I think my kids are going to be the only ones in their class wearing masks.  The classroom is small only about 12 kids.  

Per the principal, no virtual learning opportunities because the government hasn't funded any.  She said there was a type of virtual school but it isn't affiliated with Midway.  I guess I'll look into that.  

I'm still going to send them on the first day because I want them to experience that and I want to know the routine in case I have to pull them out and them bring them back.

I can squint and see why adults who aren't vaccinated aren't wearing masks but I will never understand why their kids are unmasked.

Because covid isn't real /s

For some strange reason, I know of multiple people that have been vaxxed and felt like they had covid. So they got covid tested and tested negative.

they didnt believe the negative test so went again (one guy went the next day, the two women went 2 days later and 3 days later, respectively) and tested positive on the 2nd test. Is this a delta thing or just an aberration?

8 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

For some strange reason, I know of multiple people that have been vaxxed and felt like they had covid. So they got covid tested and tested negative.

they didnt believe the negative test so went again (one guy went the next day, the two women went 2 days later and 3 days later, respectively) and tested positive on the 2nd test. Is this a delta thing or just an aberration?

I forget the number of days, but it's possible they tested too early or they didn't get a good sample

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, dcbc said:

If not in his case, I'll give you some data.  Went to a middle school athletics meeting in Tyler on Monday and my kid and I were in the minority of masked up.  We both are vaccinated.  I'm guessing 15% max masked up.  It is what it is.  It's going to be a mess.  Hoping the vaccine holds up for us.  Both of our kids (vaxxed) have no problem wearing a mask to school.  Most of the other masked up folks were Latino or Black.  I'm not saying we were the only white boys with face covers, but we might have been.

If it makes you feel any better I caught Covid a month or  so after getting the vax and it was very mild.  The only reason I even knew I had it was because we were visiting a family member with a high-risk pregnancy who insisted we get tested.  

Ah cases, not hospitalizations.  Okay.  Thanks for the link.  Still, that we'll probably be in 6-figure new cases territory with kids by the 3rd week of the school year is alarming as shit to me.  

58 minutes ago, dcbc said:

If student athletes start testing positive, you'll see things change pretty quick.

26 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Ah cases, not hospitalizations.  Okay.  Thanks for the link.  Still, that we'll probably be in 6-figure new cases territory with kids by the 3rd week of the school year is alarming as shit to me.  

I read somewhere that there have only been 45,000 or so kids that have been hospitalized since early 2020 with covid.

I'm a big pussy if this is the common cold. Haven't had asthma issues since high school but this felt similar with breathing issues but with major fatigue and chills

Not saying you are or aren’t, just addressing the post that I quoted. In a normal, healthy adult that’s all rsv is and there’s no discernible difference in symptoms between the two. But given that you post on Surly, the term “normal adult” may not apply.

As someone that has caught it about every 6-8 months (occupational hazard) for the last 9 years I can tell you the symptoms you describe are not in line with it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Did I read that right, as of right now...there are 95,000 U.S. children hospitalized with Covid?  That can't be right.  

Does this in any way sound plausible?  As of 8/7/21, there were about 1500 pediatric patients with suspected or confirmed COVID in the US.  In Texas, there were about 220. Last year at the same time, there were about 185.  You can pull down the data here.  

It was an chart on a public school message board thing.  Somebody fucked up the cases v. hospitilizations.  I didn't think it sounded/looked right so I asked here and immediately got good data.  Instead of basing public policy on stupid bullshit, I decided to "ask questions."  I didn't amplify the error nor shout it louder to others, as is often the case with parent groups at schools nowadays.  

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Not saying you are or aren’t, just addressing the post that I quoted. In a normal, healthy adult that’s all rsv is and there’s no discernible difference in symptoms between the two. But given that you post on Surly, the term “normal adult” may not apply.

As someone that has caught it about every 6-8 months (occupational hazard) for the last 9 years I can tell you the symptoms you describe are not in line with it.

Appreciate the follow up. Have a few close friends that texted me earlier today asking if my covid test was negative because they are feeling like what I described and are waiting on their results. This shit sucks 

11 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Appreciate the follow up. Have a few close friends that texted me earlier today asking if my covid test was negative because they are feeling like what I described and are waiting on their results. This shit sucks 

There is non-COVID crud going around right now.  I had it a week and a half ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

Zero staffed pediatric ICU beds in North Texas as of today. Zero. Parkland says it is 500 nurses short of adequate staffing.

giphy.gif

Nurse that took care of me two weekends ago in the ER told me she was more worried about being overrun now than at any other time since COVID hit., and that she wasn’t sure they have the resolve to get through it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Are nurses getting fired over there if they don't get the shot? Could that be the reason for the shortage?

The two largest hospital groups in North Texas are reporting that they have terminated zero nurses for vaccine refusal at this point.  So I'm guessing that's probably not a big part of the shortage right now.  Might change though.  

A total of 4,312 nurses are currently employed system-wide at Parkland serving patients at inpatient, outpatient and Dallas County Jail facilities.Mar 5, 2021

500 nurses system wide would be let’s say a roughly 10% staffing shortage. Parkland Hospital proper if that’s all that is being talked about would be significantly higher percentage. That sounds like more than just a Covid surge taking them to max capacity. 

478 cases today for Travis County with 608 hospitalized & 74 admits. There were 640 cases a week ago Thursday so fingers crossed we can start to get some reductions here. Cases still skewing younger overall but the 60 to 69 group is slightly over their historic contribution which isn't what you want to see.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/12 vs 8/11 10 28 58 130 91 72 40 31 13 5 478
% of Daily Change 2.09% 5.86% 12.13% 27.20% 19.04% 15.06% 8.37% 6.49% 2.72% 1.05%  
% of Total Cases 0.65% 4.54% 10.72% 26.04% 20.84% 14.78% 10.94% 6.40% 3.09% 1.98%  
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Nursing shortage has been going on for several years, this past 18 months has just exacerbated it greatly.

True, but staffing NAs and other lower paid workers may be due to continued unemployment benefits. It isn't just restaurant that can't find workers. It seems that there is a shortage of semi-skilled workers in every industry.

True, but staffing NAs and other lower paid workers may be due to continued unemployment benefits. It isn't just restaurant that can't find workers. It seems that there is a shortage of semi-skilled workers in every industry.

Enhanced unemployment benefits ended like two months ago in Texas. This is a tired talking point.

As mentioned, demand for nurses wasn’t exactly being met pre pandemic. Now, 18 months in, travel/contract nurses that can typically be utilized to resolve shortages aren’t available, be that because they’re working elsewhere or because they’ve decided to take time off. I’m sure there’s some walking out of their jobs because of burnout. And I’m sure there’s been at least some disruption to the flow of grads coming out of nursing school the past year and a half.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I appreciate this is a Texas Covid forum, but curious y’all’s thoughts on the numbers in Israel. They were the earliest and most thoroughly vaccinated nation by far and are now spiking big time.  Deaths have been relatively low but are now starting to pick up as well.  Makes me think we could be in for a very rough fall with kids going back to school.

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Enhanced unemployment benefits ended like two months ago in Texas. This is a tired talking point.

Can you explain? I am looking for front desk workers and claims managers. The last time I looked pre-COVID I would get about 150 or so resumes per week to sort through. This past two weeks I received 2 resumes. It seems to me that women in particular are not going back to work. I assumed it was federal benefits that kicked in and those benefits end in September. And pay, in this case is irrelevant as starting pay was not indicated in the ads.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I appreciate this is a Texas Covid forum, but curious y’all’s thoughts on the numbers in Israel. They were the earliest and most thoroughly vaccinated nation by far and are now spiking big time.  Deaths have been relatively low but are now starting to pick up as well.  Makes me think we could be in for a very rough fall with kids going back to school.

Obligatory 

image.gif.a6b9579ee2425fdac53065f34bc9ce11.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, we're kind of fucked with these attitudes.

Statesman:

Brent Thompson of Buda has been struggling to breathe for more than a week. While his condition has started to improve, he remains at Ascension Seton Medical Center in Central Austin on a ventilator.

Just days after Thompson tested positive for COVID-19 on July 27, he was hospitalized on Aug. 4 with low oxygen levels and diagnosed with COVID-pneumonia.

Thompson on Thursday told the American-Statesman that since he was first hospitalized last week, he has been to four different hospitals because of understaffing. He said he has two doctors attending to him, and he gets a new nurse every 12 to 13 hours. 

Thompson, who is not vaccinated, said that he does not plan to get vaccinated after he is released from the hospital. He and his wife believe they contracted the virus while at an outdoor concert in late July.  

“I still won't take a shot just because, in the long run, yeah, it sucks to go through this, but I'm making it and I ain’t dead,” he said. “I’m not scared to go through pain of this instead of the fear of getting the shot. I’d rather fight it out and let God figure it out for me.” 

image.png.6e50cd0c7ae87cc0b2a8140849933b61.png

• Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 10