COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Universally supported by everyone at a party I was at when the news broke. A friend lives next door to Jenkins. Says there have been 3 different protests over the years at his house, dating back to his offer of vacant schools for illegals warehousing. In the last year, his wife left him, and he is loathed by people where he lives, and even at church. I enjoy watching his downfall. 

Really cool story, man.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Universally supported by everyone at a party I was at when the news broke. A friend lives next door to Jenkins. Says there have been 3 different protests over the years at his house, dating back to his offer of vacant schools for illegals warehousing. In the last year, his wife left him, and he is loathed by people where he lives, and even at church. I enjoy watching his downfall. 

COVID party?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

A Delta party?

36 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Damn, parents these days!  Hate to see what happens when Junior gets constipated.

Kiddo was 2 months old and had gone 6 days without a dirty diaper. Had to resort to a glycerin suppository. 20 minutes later, he filled 4 diapers as we attempted to catch the soft serve. Literally full of shit. 

we mocked and swore we wouldn’t use the frida we were given. But damn if it isn’t effective. I hate that it works.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Kiddo was 2 months old and had gone 6 days without a dirty diaper. Had to resort to a glycerin suppository. 20 minutes later, he filled 4 diapers as we attempted to catch the soft serve. Literally full of shit. 

we mocked and swore we wouldn’t use the frida we were given. But damn if it isn’t effective. I hate that it works

Poop Diarrhea GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Friday before last I called one of my very close friends who I heard wasn't feeling well. He answered the phone, said he was in the ER, sucking on oxygen, waiting on a bed.

Unvaccinated. He dead.

I wish I could turn back time and yell at him to stop being a dumb ass.

Sorry for your loss schlong. So much finding out. Sucks 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

That’s pretty CR, and so I won’t respond to a lot of your points, but respect your opinion. I do disagree that Abbott is a grandstander and he had a Snowmaggedon role. You raise interesting points about municipalities’ governance. 

This is the second time, at least, that Jenkins picked a fight with Abbott and lost. The first time - June 1, 2020 - Abbott was correct. 

I can detest Jenkins and still want HPISD to have masks for the fall. I do not particularly want vaxxed people to have to wear masks because Jenkins decides he needs some publicity. 

Abbott is most definitely not a grandstander. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

That’s pretty CR, and so I won’t respond to a lot of your points, but respect your opinion. I do disagree that Abbott is a grandstander and he had a Snowmaggedon role. You raise interesting points about municipalities’ governance. 

This is the second time, at least, that Jenkins picked a fight with Abbott and lost. The first time - June 1, 2020 - Abbott was correct. 

I can detest Jenkins and still want HPISD to have masks for the fall. I do not particularly want vaxxed people to have to wear masks because Jenkins decides he needs some publicity. 

Speaking in a generic way regarding governance so as to not be CR, there is undoubtedly the potential for abuse of power at a local level, but in the realm of public health things get squishy because plagues and diseases don't respect county lines. We may know a lot more than we did in the days of Mary Mallon, but we seem no better at navigating the legal-social implications of diseases and their carriers.

6 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Friday before last I called one of my very close friends who I heard wasn't feeling well. He answered the phone, said he was in the ER, sucking on oxygen, waiting on a bed.

Unvaccinated. He dead.

Condolences on the loss of your friend.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I find it funny that a group of people so rightfully critical of others’ use of language that is homophobic / transphobic / pokes fun at mentally handicapped people - that group freely pokes fun at Abbott’s handicap. These jokes never have been and aren’t funny. 

The pearly gates may be ADA compliant, but they have spike strips for assholes.  I’m pretty sure that’s what’s going on here.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Unvaccinated. He dead.

I'm sorry for your loss. 

I don't have anyone close to me down with Covid yet, but it's a matter of time.

12 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I find it funny that a group of people so rightfully critical of others’ use of language that is homophobic / transphobic / pokes fun at mentally handicapped people - that group freely pokes fun at Abbott’s handicap. These jokes never have been and aren’t funny. 

I’m not a group of people and I’ve never tried to keep people on here from using that language.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Fuck that piece of shit

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Good for you for saying it’s out of line and you won’t stand for it. Respect. 

shit that sounds bad. I meant good for you for standing up for your beliefs. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

Not sure what my handle has to do with anything, but I don’t intend to lecture. I don’t get why we’re just okay poking fun at the fact that the dude’s in a wheelchair. Imagine if that happened to your son or daughter, and they became a powerful political figure. And anytime someone disagreed with their politics, yeah, their standpoints get shredded but always with a comment on their handicap.  It’s ridiculous. 

Absolutely fucking not. I’m aware of what occurred to him and how he “profited” from it. Any of us in that predicament would’ve done the same thing, and if you disagree you’re a moron or you’re lying. But that is irrelevant. 

Thanks to guys like him if the same thing happened to you, you would be in no position to “do the same thing” because nowadays that lawsuit would be worth absolutely nothing, much less 10 fucking million dollars. 

He also consistently opposes laws to help the disabled. If you can’t see the rank hypocrisy in that then I can’t help you. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Absolutely fucking not. I’m aware of what occurred to him and how he “profited” from it. Any of us in that predicament would’ve done the same thing, and if you disagree you’re a moron or you’re lying. But that is irrelevant. 

Tell you what. When he stops pandering to the lowest common denominator of stupid in this state I will stop feeling bad about people mocking him for his disability.

And I agree that Jenkins is generally full of shit. I say this as someone who tussled with him for nearly 5 years of litigation where he pursued frivolous claims with no shame. But as County Judge he generally has made the right calls for the benefit of his constituents. Unlike Abbott.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Any of us in the same predicament can’t do the same thing, because of him. 

Yep. Dr. Beeper is ignorant of this fact, which I understand because most of the state is unaware of what guys like abbot have done over the years. 

Then when it happens to THEM they think their suit is worth millions. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Who fucking cares?

He's been on the right side of this all along.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

What you seem to be missing is that thanks in large part to Greg Abbott, none of us in that predicament can do the same thing anymore.  We'd be lucky to get enough money to provide lifetime healthcare for the injured, let alone upward of 10k/month.  And if you incur the same type of injury from medical negligence, you're just plain fucked.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Can we at least all agree (narrator: of course I fucking know we can’t) that it seems incongruent/hypocritical that a guy like Abbott that would otherwise deride “big government” (read the federal government) telling the local state government what to do has no problem as the “big government” in the state telling the actual local governments (cities, counties, school districts) what to do (and most annoyingly, on the issue of COVID)?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m certainly worth more dead than alive and have disability up the wazoo if it came down to it. So, I’ll be just fine if a tree falls on me.  Regardless of what Abbot has done post 1984, whatever his reasons - he doesn’t “deserve all the ridicule he gets” for a life-changing accident. 

You’re right. He doesn’t “deserve all the ridicule he gets.” He deserves much more ridicule than he actually gets. Fuck him.

Oh and thanks for letting us know how much you’re worth.

• Hook 'Em 4

Beating in the eradication sense is fantasy and holding that up as the goal is a bit of a straw man because I don’t think anyone has seriously considered that a possibility for a while. The cat has been out of the bag. Even if the United States was 100 percent vaxxed, it’s got the rest of the world to make its way through. Billions won’t have access to any vaccine until well into next year. It’ll make its way through everyone, or almost everyone, and settle into an endemic pattern.

I expect that it will be endemic for a long time.

I’m wondering how likely it is that a new variant eventually comes along that is more transmissible than Delta, including infecting vaccinated people at a higher rate, and that the end point is for this future variant to rapidly burn through the world’s entire population (regardless of vax status) and we finally achieve herd immunity through that wave? Would that be such a bad thing to hope for, if you knew it would occur in such a way that vaccines and other therapeutics could limit the worldwide mortality?

Otherwise, I’m growing increasingly concerned that in 2030 we are still going to be arguing about masks and vaccines, avoiding mass events like concerts and sports, limiting school attendance, canceling vacations at the last minute, working from home, etc. That’s a pretty shitty future if 2021-life is our status quo for the next 5-10 years.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I’m wondering how likely it is that a new variant eventually comes along that is more transmissible than Delta, including infecting vaccinated people at a higher rate, and that the end point is for this future variant to rapidly burn through the world’s entire population (regardless of vax status) and we finally achieve herd immunity through that wave? Would that be such a bad thing to hope for, if you knew it would occur in such a way that vaccines and other therapeutics could limit the worldwide mortality?

Otherwise, I’m growing increasingly concerned that in 2030 we are still going to be arguing about masks and vaccines, avoiding mass events like concerts and sports, limiting school attendance, canceling vacations at the last minute, working from home, etc. That’s a pretty shitty future if 2021-life is our status quo for the next 5-10 years.
I also wonder when/if we'll ever truly be done with this. I can't imagine it holding our attention span for that long though. At some point people will just stop giving a shit. Many already have.

I do hope it mutates to the point that it's a non-event and that's the end of it. Seems like the most likely outcome. Time will tell I guess.

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

To end it, we pretty much have to have everyone on the planet be vaccinated within a single 6-8 month window, while being prepared to shift gears and roll out updated boosters rapidly if any variants emerge. Everyone would have to mask up and limit spread as much as possible. 

We'd also have to do the same thing for every animal reservoir that exists. A non-inclusive list of covid animal reservoirs includes deer, ferrets and other weasel relatives, dogs, maybe other canine species, house cats, big cats, maybe other feline species, and great apes. 

So, not happening. We're going to be taking regular boosters for the foreseeable future. Maybe those eventually build up to confer longer lasting benefits, but we don't know yet. 

The only way off this ride at this point is a universal coronavirus vaccine. There are people working on it with a legit chance to pull it off, but I wouldn't be able to put odds on it. 

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I do hope it mutates to the point that it's a non-event and that's the end of it. Seems like the most likely outcome. Time will tell I guess.

That's possible, but it is not at all the most likely outcome. Covid takes forever to kill and the virus has reproduced many times over before the patient dies if they are going to. It has reproduced so many times that whether the patient lives or dies is irrelevant. There is no selection pressure to prevent it from killing 30%, so long as it still takes a long time to kill the person. 
That doesn't mean it will evolve to become more deadly, but there is no selection pressure preventing it. 

• Rage+1 1