COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

Just now, bschoolprof said:

This is more @BrazilHorn territory, but I'm pretty sure there is a Tuesday trueup in Austin case #s.  Still a shitshow though.  

Pretty sure the data was for yesterday. There have been plenty of Mondays (and Tuesdays) since January 2020, and none have had new case counts as high as yesterday. The two higher case counts fell on a Wednesday and a Thursday.

7 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

This is more @BrazilHorn territory, but I'm pretty sure there is a Tuesday trueup in Austin case #s.  Still a shitshow though.  

Yeah, the problem is that is Monday's data.  Today is going to be the real directional data.  Was that 955 just some weird timing of tests/backlog/whatever or is it actually a new trend

just to add confirmation to the discussion, had my physical this morning and doc told me that of all their patients testing positive, 100% of the ones they refer to hospital are unvaccinated.  Also discussed kids, vaccines, and rsv.  Huge spike in pediatric hospitalizations are due to combo infections of rsv and covid in kids.  Also, driver in kids is obesity which is more prevalent in Hispanic and black populations.  In Dallas County, MIS-C cases (multisystem inflammatory syndrome) between March 2020 and last week totaled 68.  30 of those cases were hispanic, 31 black, 4 white, and 3 asian.

RSV cases still rising but % positive decreasing.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

just to add confirmation to the discussion, had my physical this morning and doc told me that of all their patients testing positive, 100% of the ones they refer to hospital are unvaccinated.  Also discussed kids, vaccines, and rsv.  Huge spike in pediatric hospitalizations are due to combo infections of rsv and covid in kids.  Also, driver in kids is obesity which is more prevalent in Hispanic and black populations.  In Dallas County, MIS-C cases (multisystem inflammatory syndrome) between March 2020 and last week totaled 68.  30 of those cases were hispanic, 31 black, 4 white, and 3 asian.

RSV cases still rising but % positive decreasing.

fP9smc.gif

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Tuesday has always been the true up day that Travis County uses to add misses from weekend. We are still in shit show territory though make no mistake.

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, took my two littles that came home sick last night for covid tests around lunch today. Should know something back tomorrow PM.   One has been feeling better, the other worse.  Not certain either have anything other than cold/bug, but still sucks. 

We were there a couple of weeks ago.  No Covid, no strep, no RSV.  Just a shitty, shitty viral bug.   

Mixed news on the case front from today.  There were 659 new cases reported today down from 955 yesterday and but up from 583 last Tuesday.  So not hyperbolic growth like we saw yesterday, but still trending in the wrong direction. Hospitalizations up to 608 from 589 yesterday.  ICU admits up to 213 from 203 yesterday and vent use up to 137 from 134 yesterday.  

image.thumb.png.c4cad0bb9d3c43937f0692d305fb25ac.png

image.thumb.png.7f6c5b7af49f7cc93017246eec751a00.png

source - https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

Bi-modal split in the distribution by age in Travis County today. Higher than normal in the <20 groups as well as the 60-80 groups.

Haven't seen this type of spread recently so will be curious to see if this trend continues. 608 in the hospital (11 away from record).

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/17 vs 8/16 7 47 81 159 134 94 63 45 23 6 659
% of Daily Change 1.06% 7.13% 12.29% 24.13% 20.33% 14.26% 9.56% 6.83% 3.49% 0.91%  
% of Total Cases 0.66% 4.61% 10.75% 26.00% 20.86% 14.79% 10.92% 6.38% 3.08% 1.96%  

4 hours ago, Damor said:

I've warned them both that while I consider it being a bad teammate to be unvaccinated, if mine don't mask up and take every precaution, they're still at risk for getting thrown under the bus when shit inevitably happens, because people suck, and nobody's going to blame the unvaccinated starting senior.

They will blame the vaccinated kicker, the least popular player on the team, the one who's is not getting invited to parties, etc.

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Almost everyone I know is vaxxed.  Except a sister.  One friend is in the hospital with Covid.  He's unvaxxed but otherwise a smart dude.  VP at a big commercial real estate outfit.  You would think he would know better.

I am hoping enough unvaxxed see people like that and get with the program.

More and more high-profile examples are popping up, but it's a sunk cost fallacy for a lot of folks - they've invested too much time and energy into not publicly worrying/pretending to not worry about it.  They don't like to admit they are wrong, and getting vaccinated at this point in time is basically admitting they are wrong.

However, the vaccinated numbers are going up a bit, so I'm guessing some of these folks are getting vaccinated on the down low and just not telling anybody.

Or it's a bunch of Surly posters going around and getting unofficial boosters.

Abbott has COVID - https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/office-of-the-governor-statement-concerning-governor-abbott

Spoiler

Office Of The Governor Statement Concerning Governor Abbott

August 17, 2021 | Austin, Texas | Press Release

Office of the Governor Communications Director Mark Miner today issued a statement after Governor Greg Abbott tested positive for COVID-19: 

"Governor Greg Abbott today tested positive for the COVID-19 virus. The Governor has been testing daily, and today was the first positive test result. Governor Abbott is in constant communication with his staff, agency heads, and government officials to ensure that state government continues to operate smoothly and efficiently. The Governor will isolate in the Governor's Mansion and continue to test daily. Governor Abbott is receiving Regeneron's monoclonal antibody treatment. 

"Governor Abbott is fully vaccinated against COVID-19, in good health, and currently experiencing no symptoms. Everyone that the Governor has been in close contact with today has been notified. Texas First Lady Cecilia Abbott tested negative."

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Abbott has COVID - https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/office-of-the-governor-statement-concerning-governor-abbott

Reveal hidden contents

Office of the Governor Communications Director Mark Miner today issued a statement after Governor Greg Abbott tested positive for COVID-19: 

"Governor Greg Abbott today tested positive for the COVID-19 virus. The Governor has been testing daily, and today was the first positive test result. Governor Abbott is in constant communication with his staff, agency heads, and government officials to ensure that state government continues to operate smoothly and efficiently. The Governor will isolate in the Governor's Mansion and continue to test daily. Governor Abbott is receiving Regeneron's monoclonal antibody treatment. 

"Governor Abbott is fully vaccinated against COVID-19, in good health, and currently experiencing no symptoms. Everyone that the Governor has been in close contact with today has been notified. Texas First Lady Cecilia Abbott tested negative."

per CBSAustin, he's in good health and has no symptoms but none the less receiving Regeneron's monoclonal antibody treatment. Doesn't exactly seem like a good use of that extremely limited medicine.

20 minutes ago, Captainant said:

use of that extremely limited medicine

I haven't been turned down sending a patient over in the last few weeks so supply holding up so far. He may have underlying conditions. I would expect the governor of any state (Blue or Red) to get this if eligible despite how bad they are screwing up on mask mandates and school openings. Which for Abbott is really bad.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

I haven't been turned down sending a patient over in the last few weeks so supply holding up so far. He may have underlying conditions. I would expect the governor of any state (Blue or Red) to get this if eligible despite how bad they are screwing up on mask mandates and school openings. Which for Abbott is really bad.

Yeah this is what the FDA says:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-authorizes-monoclonal-antibodies-treatment-covid-19

Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued an emergency use authorization (EUA) for casirivimab and imdevimab to be administered together for the treatment of mild to moderate COVID-19 in adults and pediatric patients (12 years of age or older weighing at least 40 kilograms [about 88 pounds]) with positive results of direct SARS-CoV-2 viral testing and who are at high risk for progressing to severe COVID-19. This includes those who are 65 years of age or older or who have certain chronic medical conditions.

Abbott is 63 and it wouldn't surprise me if he also had some chronic underlying conditions.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Two points:

1.  Jimmie, if you ride with crazy, there's little we can do for you.

2.  Like Texas BBQ, Greg Abbott knows little to nothing about the music of Stevie Ray or Jimmie Vaughn.  He's a complete poser.

not to mention that Abbott and his twitter team primarily highlight that Jimmie Vaughn is Stevie Ray's brother.  that's a real disrespectful tweet. Why not just say Jimmie's own achievements or accolades. It would be like giving him an intro like "Welcome to stage, Stevie Ray's brother..."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 8/16/2021 at 5:27 PM, JimmyJames said:

… A tree on a city owned sidewalk fell on him because he was out jogging during a lighting storm….

2 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Reveal hidden contents

Sounds like God is realizing his mistake.