COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

13 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
14 hours ago, justhookit said:
Yes, but that still doesn’t get you to 30% of adults  or whatever it is now that is not vaccinated. Hell, maybe it does. If you just go by age I’m pretty sure the young people are just trying to kill us all off.
There is an enormous gap in vaccination rates  -roughly 20% -  between age 20-40 - and then age 40 plus.
im going to put the links in the CR thread because I don’t want to mess this thread up.

Dude go drive down the beach in Port A, then see if you are still uncertain.

Also, look at the vaccination rates for counties in deep east Texas.  Lots of them still in the 20%--low 30% range (12 and up).

Edited by dcbc

3 hours ago, Assman said:

How about people who are educated, non-MAGA wearing nutjobs, white, but have had severe adverse reactions to previous immunizations?  Does that fit into any of your stereotypes?  Because that's me. 

I love the double standard of it not being socially acceptable to stereotype due to race, religion, sexual preference, etc., but we can all rally around the fact that everyone without the vaccine is either poor or ultra-conservative.

It’s easier to act like if you’re vaxxed you died on the cross for man kinds sins ans talk shit on everyone to make yourself feel better. 

sty safe 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I’m pretty sure most people understand there are many people like yourself for whom the vax is not an option. You should not feel stigmatized for that and I doubt it’s the intention of any of us here to make you feel that way. It is essential for your safety and those like you that everyone who can be vaccinated safely choose to do so. 

Exactly. People who legitimately cannot take the vaccine are a big reason that herd immunity is so important. Too bad people who could totally take the vaccine but don’t because they’re selfish fucking idiots are making herd immunity impossible. 

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6

17 hours ago, justhookit said:

I don’t know that there is any evidence of Delta being less harmful or deadly. I think that was more the theory that as the virus evolved it would be less deadly because that’s what a virus tends to do.

I’m still amazed by all of this. I know a very large cross section of people and everyone I know is vaxxed and pro vaccine. I’m still trying to figure out who is refusing to do it. It appears to me at least that it’s the uneducated and unfortunately there is no quick or easy fix for that other than cutting out their access to Walmart.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.20.21260795v1.full.pdf

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210810/covid-vaccine-hesitancy-90-million

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3

On 8/20/2021 at 4:17 PM, Newdoc said:

Remember those nature shows where a Wildebeest calf gets eaten by hyenas and momma is upset but the rest of the herd looks at the commotion and goes back to grazing? That’s where we are at right now.

The general public does not have the capacity to remain hyper vigilant or be inconvenienced for too long. A majority of our society has never had to mentally endure something of this scale and has never been trained to work through hardships. And our leadership, except for some at the local levels has no capacity or abilities  to lead us through this and is counter productive by utilizing this crisis for personal gain in many cases. 

Couple that with almost complete dysfunction of critical thinking skills exacerbated by asshats on social media, then ta-dah! No F’s given.

And TBH this disease just doesn’t kill enough people. SARS had an over 30% mortality rate all comers. MERS was above 60%. People masked up and stayed the fuck home to such an extent each one was contained quickly. 

You wouldn’t hear shit about muh freedom if Ebola was ripping through one of our cities: you’d have posses out in space suits nailing infected people shut in their houses. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The “let’s focus on our natural immunity!” crowd is maddening. They post rants about how humans used to not live in such clean environments, and not get vaccinated, and we had MUCH stronger immune systems, and blah blah blah.

Yes, Karen….and also, our life expectancy was 40….because we got cholera, and polio, and smallpox, and sepsis, and we fucking DIED from those things. By cleaning shut up, and vaccinating, and developing antibiotics….we’ve doubled our life expectancy.

Drink clean water. Treat infections. Get vaccinated. And sure, ALSO drink wheatgrass smoothies and eat organic fruit every day - good nutrition is important. But the other stuff….that shit was the game-changer. No amount of psychotic echo chamber pretending can change that.

By far like orders of magnitude number one in increasing life expectancy was figuring out how to separate drinking water from sewage. Vaccines were second and antibiotics a close third. Vaccines are a victim of their success. With the horrible disease it prevents no longer prevalent, nutters focus on rare adverse events

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

Yea there are a lot of dumbass smart people, but what like roughly 35% of the US population 25 years old or older has completed 4 years of college OR MORE so those first two bars represent a hell of a lot more vectors than anything to the right of them.  Then you have all the 12 to at least 18 year olds they are making decisions for.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

From uneducated and don’t know who to believe or not believe, to so educated (usually about one particular part of one subject) they think they know everything and won’t listen to anyone. 
of course the former set is quite a bit larger than the latter. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

58 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

Would like to see the filter for STEM vs non-STEM phds. I don’t particularly care about opinions on medical topics from high school drop outs nor classic Latin literature phds. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

I’m pretty sure most people understand there are many people like yourself for whom the vax is not an option. You should not feel stigmatized for that and I doubt it’s the intention of any of us here to make you feel that way. It is essential for your safety and those like you that everyone who can be vaccinated safely choose to do so. 

This is exactly our point. I know a couple of people who real-deal cannot take the vax for medical reasons. They (along with kids below 12) are part of the population that the rest of us getting vaccinated protects.

If you can’t get vaccinated, our approach should try to protect you.

If you WON’T get vaccinated, go drink bleach. All the bleach.

Yet more proof that getting a PhD - and putting yourself through that hellish process - is the opposite of being a sign of intelligence.

By far like orders of magnitude number one in increasing life expectancy was figuring out how to separate drinking water from sewage. Vaccines were second and antibiotics a close third. Vaccines are a victim of their success. With the horrible disease it prevents no longer prevalent, nutters focus on rare adverse events

Bingo. We’ve done so many huge things to increase life expectancy that we’ve now come full circle, and have morons who think those very things are what is harming us. Dumbass, without those things, 2 of your 4 kids would be dead before they were 10, and your life expectancy would be 38.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

You wouldn’t hear shit about muh freedom if Ebola was ripping through one of our cities: you’d have posses out in space suits nailing infected people shut in their houses.

Thankfully, ebola puts you down fast before you can really spread it around too much.

Meanwhile, this still holds true.

1d1.jpg

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

What is 95% of the population vs.5%, Alex? Also it’s not surprising to see the lawyers reversing the trend and fucking things up.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Captainant said:

Perhaps in terms of percentage of the overall demo, but the thing about minorities is that there's fewer of them. So even if their per-capita rate is comparable, it's still the jewish space lasers people making up the majority of unvaxxed selfish asshats

Well that's good, thank goodness there are fewer of them and therefore we can discount their impact.  I guess in these cities and states that institute vaccine mandates we can just point out that African Americans and Hispanics represent fewer Americans and so we don't have to worry about the impact to them quite as much.  I'm going to start applying the law of gross numbers rather than percentages to everything.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Well that's good, thank goodness there are fewer of them and therefore we can discount their impact.  I guess in these cities and states that institute vaccine mandates we can just point out that African Americans and Hispanics represent fewer Americans and so we don't have to worry about the impact to them quite as much.  I'm going to start applying the law of gross numbers rather than percentages to everything.

Well, when discussing a topic where herd immunity is the goal, that's actually the right approach.  Left-handed Albanian immigrants may have 100% refusal to get vaccinated, but being that there aren't but a few dozen of those in the US, their particular vaccine resistance doesn't present a material threat to us reaching herd immunity.

Of course, we do have a much larger black and hispanic population than left-handed Albanians, so vaccine resistance there plays a larger role.  But it follows that vaccine-resistant conservative white folks are an even larger segment -- the largest, actually.  So, in terms of where our challenges are, you start with the biggest one and work your way down.  Eventually, it would be great if we were just worried about the left-handed Albanians.

Note: this is with herd immunity in mind as the goal.  If our goal is protection of specific sub-populations -- which is a good and parallel goal -- we should also make every effort to improve the vax rate of that population.  Thus, we should continue to do things to reach the black and hispanic populations and get them vaccinated, not just because it will help our herd immunity somewhat, but because it will also help them, our fellow Americans and human beings.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Well, when discussing a topic where herd immunity is the goal, that's actually the right approach.  Left-handed Albanian immigrants may have 100% refusal to get vaccinated, but being that there aren't but a few dozen of those in the US, their particular vaccine resistance doesn't present a material threat to us reaching herd immunity.

Of course, we do have a much larger black and hispanic population than left-handed Albanians, so vaccine resistance there plays a larger role.  But it follows that vaccine-resistant conservative white folks are an even larger segment -- the largest, actually.  So, in terms of where our challenges are, you start with the biggest one and work your way down.  Eventually, it would be great if we were just worried about the left-handed Albanians.

Note: this is with herd immunity in mind as the goal.  If our goal is protection of specific sub-populations -- which is a good and parallel goal -- we should also make every effort to improve the vax rate of that population.  Thus, we should continue to do things to reach the black and hispanic populations and get them vaccinated, not just because it will help our herd immunity somewhat, but because it will also help them, our fellow Americans and human beings.

Totally and completely agree.  Vaccinate as many people as possible is the goal.  It's also pretty easy for you to look at the racial breakdown of Texas and the vaccine hesitancy breakdown of racial categories and see where the issue is.   Hell, look at the weekly updates by the Dallas county health and human services and they show, by zip, where people are fully vaccinated on a heat map.  Given unvaccinated people are the biggest drivers in illness and hospitalizations we know where to focus.  But we can't talk about it because people like Captain like to waive away issues there and only focus on dumbfuck rednecks (and they do deserve scorn as well).

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Totally and completely agree.  Vaccinate as many people as possible is the goal.  It's also pretty easy for you to look at the racial breakdown of Texas and the vaccine hesitancy breakdown of racial categories and see where the issue is.   Hell, look at the weekly updates by the Dallas county health and human services and they show, by zip, where people are fully vaccinated on a heat map.  Given unvaccinated people are the biggest drivers in illness and hospitalizations we know where to focus.  But we can't talk about it because people like Captain like to waive away issues there and only focus on dumbfuck rednecks (and they do deserve scorn as well).

All solid points.  Which is why so much of this depends on local efforts.  Each area has its own specific sub-population that makes up the largest portion of the vaccine resistant.  In E. Texas, it may be conservative rednecks and lower income black people.  In S. Texas, it's probably hispanics followed by conservative rednecks, etc.  And in cities, it's definitely going to vary by zip code and populations within them -- which informs you on where you can set up vax sites and the like.

But, you know....."local control" is dead and buried.

• Hook 'Em 1

So we drove our two vaxxed sophomores to school this morning.  Was definitely a weird experience.  At least HISD is masked up for now, but there is a feeling that it’s a near-certainty that they will be exposed over and over for months.   Not so worried about them, but they may have to basically drop contact with their 73year old grandmother in the back house.  

And I need to convince my wife to get a third shot. 

4 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

But we can't talk about it because people like Captain like to waive away issues there and only focus on dumbfuck rednecks (and they do deserve scorn as well).

Respectfully, we've been hearing a variety of "other issues" in DT during COVID - ranging from "only city folk will get it, rurals are fine" to "ackshually its FAT people that are the problem!" to "facemasks ackshually SUFFOCATE CHILDREN(!!!)" to "why worry about reopening schools? Kids can't get sick from COVID!". And most typically - the people who want to talk about other issues will move the focus completely away from the largest contributor to our shared hell.

It's been nothing but distracting from the biggest issues in favor of smaller shit that doesn't move the needle on the macro scale - which means our hospitals fill the fuck up with dumbasses who are still spouting their antivaxxer nonsense on FB and telegram in their fucking deathbed in the ICU.

I'm just tired of being 18 months into this shitshow and we're still not focusing on addressing the biggest problems. And we're in the midst of the WOSRT spike in covid in our state. 18 months in. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Respectfully, we've been hearing a variety of "other issues" in DT during COVID - ranging from "only city folk will get it, rurals are fine" to "ackshually its FAT people that are the problem!" to "facemasks ackshually SUFFOCATE CHILDREN(!!!)" to "why worry about reopening schools? Kids can't get sick from COVID!". And most typically - the people who want to talk about other issues will move the focus completely away from the largest contributor to our shared hell.

It's been nothing but distracting from the biggest issues in favor of smaller shit that doesn't move the needle on the macro scale - which means our hospitals fill the fuck up with dumbasses who are still spouting their antivaxxer nonsense on FB and telegram in their fucking deathbed in the ICU.

I'm just tired of being 18 months into this shitshow and we're still not focusing on addressing the biggest problems. And we're in the midst of the WOSRT spike in covid in our state. 18 months in. 

Delta is going to spike everywhere.  It is that contagious. It is going to burn hot and (thankfully) fast.  The unvaccinated are the ones at risk of death/serious injury.  The vast majority of that group have only themselves to blame.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Delta is going to spike everywhere.  It is that contagious. It is going to burn hot and (thankfully) fast.  The unvaccinated are the ones at risk of death/serious injury.  The vast majority of that group have only themselves to blame.

To be fair to those unvaccinated people, they will blame everyone but themselves.  They should also blame me because I admit it's in poor taste for me to laughing so goddamn hard at their funerals.

This seems like a good of a thread as any.  Does anyone know the current OVID testing policies for football (Texas, Big 12, SEC, NFL, etc.).  It seems like the college leagues have universally agreed that if you can't play a game due to COVID that you forfeit, but how is this determination going to be made?  For example, at the beginning of camp Sark indicated that 90% of the team was vaxed.  Does that mean only the 10% are regularly tested?  Which of course begs the question what then happens with a positive?  Remember the issue with the NC State baseball team was that the entire team was tested once they had some cases and numerous asymptomatic fully vaccinated individuals were disqualified.  Given how ridiculously contagious Delta is and all the evidence it will spread within the vaxed population, it seems like unless they have significantly limited or adjusted testing policies in light of Delta, football season is being set up for a lot of issues.

Edited by Skipper

14 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I disagree. Look at Germany (though they have had a bump).

And frankly a lot of states in the US, though showing a bump haven't seen a spike like Texas, Florida and Mississippi.

With proper social actions, vaccines and masks, you can keep the spread lower and it doesn't have to be these big spikes.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This seems like a good of a thread as any.  Does anyone know the current OVID testing policies for football (Texas, Big 12, SEC, NFL, etc.).  It seems like the college leagues have universally agreed that if you can't play a game due to COVID that you forfeit, but how is this determination going to be made?  For example, at the beginning of camp Sark indicated that 90% of the team was vaxed.  Does that mean only the 10% are regularly tested?  Which of course begs the question what then happens with a positive?  Remember the issue with the NC State baseball team was that the entire team was tested once they had some cases and numerous asymptomatic fully vaccinated individuals were disqualified.  Given how ridiculously contagious Delta is and all the evidence it will spread within the vaxed population, it seems like unless they have significantly limited or adjusted testing policies in light of Delta, football season is being set up for a lot of issues.

I saw today that the Atlanta Falcons were the first professional sports team to be 100% vaccinated. That's really all I got on your topic, sorry.

27 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I will say that all of the original studies still apply: (for the unvaccinated in particular as they are getting Delta worse)

If you are >60 you have a much higher likelihood of dying from Covid

If you're BMI is >40 you have a much higher likelihood of dying from Covid

If you are both you are most likely fucked.

32 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I saw today that the Atlanta Falcons were the first professional sports team to be 100% vaccinated. That's really all I got on your topic, sorry.

Based on a quick read it appears the policy for NFL is vaccinated players are only tested once every 2 weeks.   I'm not sure, what, if anything, changes with a positive test for contacts, etc. but I'm guessing nothing.   I saw an article with some NFL players bitching about it because they tested positive and were asymptomatic essentially lobbying for more testing to stop spread earlier.   But with that policy it seems like the design is the Delta variant version of don't ask don't tell.  If you stagger testing on 14 day intervals and team is 100% vaxed - that seems like a policy designed to avoid cancellations.

Also just found this for college.  Also appears designed to let the games play on assuming high vaccination rate and not many symptomatic breakthrough infections. 

The NCAA recommends not testing fully-vaccinated players and coaches unless they are symptomatic. Meanwhile, unvaccinated individuals would be tested three times week. If at least 5% of a team tests positive, all symptomatic people and close contacts will need to be tested. 

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

And frankly a lot of states in the US, though showing a bump haven't seen a spike like Texas, Florida and Mississippi.

Even idiot states like Ohio aren't seeing spikes like Texas. A friend is a doctor at Metro Hospital in Cleveland. Last week when I talked to him, they had 1 COVID patient.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

So we drove our two vaxxed sophomores to school this morning.  Was definitely a weird experience.  At least HISD is masked up for now, but there is a feeling that it’s a near-certainty that they will be exposed over and over for months.   Not so worried about them, but they may have to basically drop contact with their 73year old grandmother in the back house.  

And I need to convince my wife to get a third shot. 

User name checks out

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

I will say that all of the original studies still apply: (for the unvaccinated in particular as they are getting Delta worse)

If you are >60 you have a much higher likelihood of dying from Covid

If you're BMI is >40 you have a much higher likelihood of dying from Covid

If you are both you are most likely fucked.

What are the chances of dying from Covid if you can't use you're/your correctly?

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

9 hours ago, justhookit said:

What is 95% of the population vs.5%, Alex? Also it’s not surprising to see the lawyers reversing the trend and fucking things up.

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

No lawyers I know with PhDs. 

9 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i've come across patent lawyers with PhDs.

6 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

(he was saying lawyers with phds aren't anti vax)

JD was listed under Professional. He was saying they reversed the downward trend of previous groups, thus fucking things up. 

22 hours ago, Assman said:

How about people who are educated, non-MAGA wearing nutjobs, white, but have had severe adverse reactions to previous immunizations?  Does that fit into any of your stereotypes?  Because that's me. 

I love the double standard of it not being socially acceptable to stereotype due to race, religion, sexual preference, etc., but we can all rally around the fact that everyone without the vaccine is either poor or ultra-conservative.

You and my friend in Fburg, who is the daughter of a pharmacist need to grow a pair, imo. It is unfathomable to me that the potential horrid reactions don't out weigh the benefit of not dying or hospitalization due to severe illness. I hope the best for you and my friend. That idiot was masking up as of early July but maybe her behavior has changed since then. Mother of 2 young kids...fucking maddening when I think about her. Sincerely, be safe.