COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

31 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

This will all be behind us by the Rice game, right?

West Nile has been found in a couple of places in Austin, so with the way 2021 is going, if Delta cases started dropping rapidly, there's always something else ready to take it's place.

If we could get more people to get vaccinated/get boosters though, it could make a dent in the next few months.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

West Nile has been found in a couple of places in Austin, so with the way 2021 is going, if Delta cases started dropping rapidly, there's always something else ready to take it's place.

If we could get more people to get vaccinated/get boosters though, it could make a dent in the next few months.

Does horse paste work against West Nile?

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Locusts inbound, amirite?  gonna need to work on some lambs blood.  

• Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

When did Lobo become an aggy, or is anyone under the delusion that sitting in 114 degree heat watching a nail biter with ulala sounds fun.

I think the game is gonna be a blast.  I merely attempted to let some folks know about making a bit of a more conscious plan about ingress/egress.  Obviously my "tone" was not appreciated and I own that.  Could be some transmission events in some of the more crammed, unventilated areas.  But I really don't care any more.  Stupid gonna stupid.  I'll be up at the open bar waiting to count the dead bodies from heatstroke and whatever else goes around in the days following.  They had their chance to prepare and hydrate, fuck 'em.

Edited by Lobo

So I’m a bit of a supplement geek, and have read various recommendations of supplements that can bolster the immune system and decrease the risk of severe symptoms in the age of COVID. In addition to horse paste (duh), I’ve been taking lysine, Vitamin D, and NAC during the pandemic (I was taking NAC before for liver function, but it’s on a lot of lists for COVID supplements.)

Anybody else taking anything? Or am I the only one here with expensive urine?

12 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So I’m a bit of a supplement geek, and have read various recommendations of supplements that can bolster the immune system and decrease the risk of severe symptoms in the age of COVID. In addition to horse paste (duh), I’ve been taking lysine, Vitamin D, and NAC during the pandemic (I was taking NAC before for liver function, but it’s on a lot of lists for COVID supplements.)

I’ve been making tea out of pennies. Costs just pennies a glass. 

"Quaaludes 10-15 times a day for my ‘back pain’, Adderall to stay focused, Xanax to take the edge off, pot to mellow me out, cocaine to wake me back up again, and morphine... Well, because it's awesome." 

And Lemons.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I have seen varying evidence that Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Quercetin, Bromelain, Zinc, Melatonin, and Turmeric/Curcumin all may help, but nothing all that compelling other than for people with D deficiency.  There is also some evidence that Pepcid helps avoid worst outcomes.

Over the last 18 months I have taken zinc and Vitamin D supplements whenever there’s increased risk to me, who knows if it’s helped.

Edited by Snake Diggity

Anything with a higher protein profile (red meat, poultry, dairy) also contains a high amount of Lysine. Unless you are in a caloric deficit or on a restricted diet like vegetarian or vegan you are most likely getting well above the daily recommended dose of Lysine. That said, without looking it up I’m pretty sure you would have to consume enough to choke Linda Lovelace to exceed the upper permissible daily dose

Thats where my sister works as a RN. She says people are quitting every day and she is currently working mandatory OT. 
Shes tough as nails and loves seeing her savings triple every couple of weeks so she is in good spirits.

$600 bonus + time and a half for every extra day shift you pick up and $800 bonus + time and a half and shift diff for every night shift you pick up.

And down the street at Baylor health system they’re offering $15k sign-on bonus for RT’s with a 2 or 3 year commitment. Craziness

20 hours ago, Sessamoid said:

Not just Austin, but all the colleges hosting home games. The restrooms are going to be superspreader events. Close contact, poor ventilation, and stupid air blower hand dryers aerosolizing covid that was on its way to the floor.

COVID is already aerosolized, so it's not aerosolizing it, rather it's just adjusting it's flight path.  

11 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

You'd have to be a paint chip eating regard to go to a crowded stadium right now.

I went to the 'stros game on Tuesday, and honestly it felt decently safe in the seating area since folks were still generally spread out. Not a packed arena, but ~50% full.

But every time I needed to pee or get another beer, I sure as shit masked up. Loads of people all shoulder to shoulder in the concession and restroom areas

Guess he found out. 

https://news.yahoo.com/texas-anti-mask-freedom-rally-045722778.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

Texas Anti-Mask 'Freedom Rally' Organizer Fighting For His Life With COVID-19

Texas man who helped organize protests against pandemic restrictions is fighting for his life after being hospitalized for nearly a month with COVID-19, the San Angelo Standard-Times reported.

His wife, Jessica Wallace, wrote Wednesday on Facebook that she had a “heartbreaking update” about her husband, Caleb.

“He’s not doing good. It’s not looking in our favor,” she said. “His lungs are stiff due to the fibrosis. They called and said they’ve run out of options for him and asked if I would consent to a do not resuscitate. And it would be up to us when to stop treatments.”

“My heart just can’t. I can’t imagine my life without him.”

Caleb Wallace, a 30-year-old father of three, has been unconscious, ventilated and heavily sedated in the ICU at Shannon Medical Center in San Angelo since Aug. 8, the Standard-Times reported. His wife said on a GoFundMe page for household and medical bills that he was was intubated multiple times, had high fevers, infection and bleeding in his chest.

In July, Caleb Wallace reportedly helped organize “The Freedom Rally,” an event that billed itself as a protest against the “government being in control of our lives.” He also founded “The San Angelo Freedom Defenders,” which hosted a rally last year to “end COVID tyranny.”

He wrote a letter in April to the San Angelo Independent School District and published by a local news outlet demanding that the school district “rescind ALL COVID-related policies immediately.” He falsely claimed that wearing masks had harmful effects on children and that there was “little evidence that masks worked for anyone.”

When he first felt symptoms on July 26, his wife told the Standard-Times, he refused to get tested or seek medical care. He instead began treating himself with a cocktail of Vitamin C, zinc, aspirin and ivermectin, an anti-parasitic drug that has been falsely promoted as an effective treatment for COVID-19 by conservative media. He was taken to the hospital on July 30.

Jessica Wallace told the Standard-Times that she was “less conservative” than her husband and personally wears a mask.

“Caleb would tell me, ‘You know masks aren’t going to save you,’ but he understood I wanted to wear them,” she said. “It gives me comfort to know that maybe, just maybe, I’m either protecting someone or avoiding it myself.”

The Wallace family’s story comes amid a mask debate across Texas, where Republican Gov. Greg Abbott has issued an executive order banning mask mandates. Some local officials have fought back or defied the order, creating a confusing patchwork of rules across more than 200 counties.

This has gone on amid a new wave of COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations across Texas, driven by the virulent and highly contagious delta variant of the virus. Roughly 47% of Texas’s eligible population has been fully vaccinated.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

WTF is “NAC”?

18 minutes ago, XYZ said:

WTF is “NAC”?

6 minutes ago, Sessamoid said:

N-acetylcysteine. It’s primary use is as a mucolytic for patients with chronic lung diseases and as an antidote for Tylenol overdose.

What he said (whatever "mucolytic" means).

I started taking it a few years ago as a supplement that's supposed to help your liver process alcohol better.  I'm not a lush, but I like to imbibe every know and then, and since the liver is one of the more important organs in the body for metabolism, I figure I'll try to do what I can to help it out in my older age.  

Turns out it's on a few lists of supplements to better equip your body for COVID.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Guess he found out. 

https://news.yahoo.com/texas-anti-mask-freedom-rally-045722778.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

So was he vaccinated?  The article doesn't say, but the quote below leads me to believe that he wasn't.

When he first felt symptoms on July 26, his wife told the Standard-Times, he refused to get tested or seek medical care. He instead began treating himself with a cocktail of Vitamin C, zinc, aspirin and ivermectin, an anti-parasitic drug that has been falsely promoted as an effective treatment for COVID-19 by conservative media.

I'll say it again, I'm not happy that this guy, like others before him, is going to die and leave three children fatherless.  But I'm not sad.  Play stupid games . . . .

Edited by South Austin
you ate sand???
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

What he said (whatever "mucolytic" means).

I started taking it a few years ago as a supplement that's supposed to help your liver process alcohol better.  I'm not a lush, but I like to imbibe every know and then, and since the liver is one of the more important organs in the body for metabolism, I figure I'll try to do what I can to help it out in my older age.  

Turns out it's on a few lists of supplements to better equip your body for COVID.

Have you seen a difference in your liver numbers?

3 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

$600 bonus + time and a half for every extra day shift you pick up and $800 bonus + time and a half and shift diff for every night shift you pick up.

And down the street at Baylor health system they’re offering $15k sign-on bonus for RT’s with a 2 or 3 year commitment. Craziness

So are hospitals just trading staffs so that they can all get that signing bonus money?  Or are they also offering that for nurses to stay, and sign a similar commitment letter?

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So was he vaccinated?  The article doesn't say, but the quote below leads me to believe that he wasn't.

I'll say it again, I'm not happy that this guy, like others before him, is going to die and leave three children fatherless.  But I'm not sad.  Play stupid games . . . .

Pissed that health professionals have to treat this fuckstick. Pissed that he's taking up an ICU bed for so long. He stood against everything the medical community has been trying to do to beat this shit. Assholes like him are why we are still dealing with Covid.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1