COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

2 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I'm guessing no virtual option for them either?

My understanding is there will be virtual learning, if you are set up for it. We homeschooled last year so all the kids have new computers and whatnot.  Not sure if we are just going to do the virtual or pickup where we left off.  Ours were thriving with the program we used, so we took them into the next grade thru the summer and started their summer break in July.   I’m traveling but heard we made the Houston news.  

10 hours ago, CHIEF said:

All of the ones are disabled in every pickup we own. Our subdivision is all private roads, Rangers, Mules, golf carts, you can drive anything. Just read your owner's manual, it will tell you how to disable it. Click, unclick, click, unclick with the key in a certain position etc.

CHIEF

Yep. Did that on my truck because we used to live on a private lake where we had to drive on the private lake roads to get to the dumpster to take the trash out. Also useful if you have land that you drive your vehicle around on. Light still comes on, but no dinging. 

17 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

High schools in Texas will have to forfeit if they don't have enough players, and they are testing, from what I understand.  A few high schools in AISD have already had positives on football teams, from what parents have been bitching about.

It's one reason I know a lot of football players got vaccinated early on as under new CDC guidelines a fully vaccinated person who is asymptomatic does not have to quarantine if exposed. Fear last year was one player got it your team was done due to exposure quarantines. This year teams (vaccinated) will stand a much better chance. 

Big Covid?  Man, I been waiting to get my hands on them for years.  

Now, who told you to put the horse paste on?  Why'd you put the paste on?  You haven't been to see a doctor.  if you're gonna put a paste on, let the doctor put the paste on.

Where the hell'd you get that damn horse paste, anyway?  

"From the Maestro." 

Oh, so a Maestro tells you to put a horse paste on and you do it?!?  Do you know what a horse paste is?  

Leander will probably be the first Central Texas district to close this fall (a few rural districts have had to shut down already).

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/williamson-county/400-covid-19-cases-confirmed-at-leander-isd-officials-recommend-shutdown/

Williamson County health officials are recommending Leander Independent School District close for 10 days to slow the spread of COVID-19 — after over 400 cases were confirmed among students and staff.

As of Tuesday afternoon, there were 411 total positive cases just a week and a half into the new school year.

Travis County passed the 100k cases mark today finishing at 100,341! We had 624 cases today down ~20 or so from last Tuesday. 646 hospitalized.

Cases still skewing younger overall although the 60 to 69 group popped today above their pandemic to date share.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/23 vs 8/20 10 59 94 114 124 92 54 45 24 8 624
% of Daily Change 1.60% 9.46% 15.06% 18.27% 19.87% 14.74% 8.65% 7.21% 3.85% 1.28%  
% of Total Cases 0.70% 4.74% 10.83% 25.90% 20.88% 14.77% 10.86% 6.36% 3.05% 1.92%  

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

LISD is refusing to close down.  They mentioned very publicly that they had a conversation with the TEA.

As I said in the school thread, if they have 400 confirmed cases, they probably have many times that, and they know it.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Mistakes were made

3 hours ago, Welch said:

3 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I also saw we have 5 ICU beds in the 11 county region around Austin. Was on the twitter and don't feel like looking for it. Anyone able to verify? 

Humanity can’t possibly last more than a few more years.  Shit is so fucked up.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

LISD is refusing to close down.  They mentioned very publicly that they had a conversation with the TEA.

As I said in the school thread, if they have 400 confirmed cases, they probably have many times that, and they know it.

You would have thought the average intelligence in Leander would have gone up once the cedar choppers were gone. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Having been a former Wilco resident I can say this with certainty.

Your kids will not get in the way of our owning the libs. 

Based on a recent presidential election, it’s more like 50/50 now and I bet the old long time residents are furious about that. No idea if that split is equal among the various suburbs. 

19 minutes ago, Deej said:

The parents still could have masked up their kids. 

They can, and they did. LISD has masks mandated since the 3rd day of school.  The board half-assed it and gave parents an out with a waiver, but at my kids' middle school they're pretty much 100% masked.

Just now, mdmost said:

This weirdness about "it was a personal decision to not get vaccinated" just makes me shake my head. Okay, I guess it's so great that he stuck to whatever odd principles he had which eventually ended up causing his death? 

A personal decision that affected his family, his staff, his players...

• Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This weirdness about "it was a personal decision to not get vaccinated" just makes me shake my head. Okay, I guess it's so great that he stuck to whatever odd principles he had which eventually ended up causing his death? 

Weird really is the right term.  I think folks were being too judgmental of people not getting the shots.  It wasn't right, wrong, or indifferent, it was just.........weird.

That's your definition of "Personal decision"?  To not do something?  I mean yes, there are decisions by commission and by omission.  There are decisions you make on your own and those that are made in concert with others, still others that are ruled by nature (Breathing, pissing), and those thrust upon you by government (taxes, red lights).  But to say the omission of life saving vaccines in your life is a "Personal Decision" is just plain weird.  It's just a bizarre place to plant your flag of personal choice.  95% of your life is dictated to you by factors not inside your head and your heart.  You just don't acknowledge it because it's too scary.  

I think a big reason why these people are taking the "Not doing the vaccine as a personal choice" route is because they are finally realizing they really don't have much control over their own lives.  Somebody told them were gonna take back control, but turns out he was full of shit.  So now, in the rebooted void of empowerment, they feel it's time to take back some modicum of sovereignty over their existence.  One way big, public way to do that is to refuse vaccination and achieve one of two outcomes---harming their community members who cannot be vaccinated (the young, the immuno-compromised, et. al.) and/or dying themselves.  

For many who have once again lost hope in a life worth living in America, this is a literal last gasp at "Personal Freedoms" in a country that really doesn't care if they live or die.  They call us sheep for taking the shots;  when they are the ones circling the perimeter of the pen, hoping to avoid the inevitable, thinking that by scurrying about they are in control of their life again.  All the while not seeing what's right in front of them.  the problem is you're taking people out with you that didn't need to go. 

the Sheep aren't the ones who become immune to mass slaughter.  The sheep is you, the one running headfirst into the electrical prod, shouting "I'm personally free!!!!!!" 

Edited by Lobo

46 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It was a personal decision to [insert as applicable: drive a car without a seatbelt, ride a bike without a helmet, eat McDonald's seven days a week, swim in shark infested waters, drink bleach, etc.].  Hard to be sad over people making personal decisions that increase their chances of early death.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

“He was everything you want in a coach. He lived and breathed with faith and he walked with it. And he poured into kids,” said coach Paul Ressa, who is now with Denton-Ryan. Ressa and Shillam had coached together at Newman-Smith High School in Carrollton.

alrighty then

His personal decision led to an increased risk of contracting an airborne virus and spreading it to others. As more and more personal deciders make the decision to fuel the virus, it decreases the efficacy of herd immunity, needed by people without the choice and others who made the right choice, but are constantly breathing air rife with Covid.

In hell, Typhoid Mary is celebrating by taking a turd, choosing to not wash her hands, then making Aspic for her rich victims.

• Hook 'Em 3

I think the macro population may have crested.  But for those unvacc'd because they are under 12...we may have weeks more to go and miles to go, before we sleep.

I agree that the whole "personal decision to not get the vaccine" is some weird form of virtue signaling. Or some level of defending their position. "It's ok I didn't get the vaccine because the vaccine is against my personal choice." It's a slam of people that don't want the vaccine but bowed to pressure of friends, family or employer.

Or their position is that they don't want to get the vaccine. MF, nobody wants to get the vaccine. It's like no one wants to go to the dentist. We go because we don't want our teeth to rot out.

• Hook 'Em 1