COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

3 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Have you seen a difference in your liver numbers?

I haven't gotten bloodwork done in a couple years (unwisely skipped my annual physical last year), and hadn't focused on liver numbers before then.  My doctor never mentioned anything about them when going over my prior blood numbers.

I recall reading somewhere that while NAC can help your liver numbers, those numbers could be deceptive, as they could superficially hide an underlying problem if you're a heavy drinker. 

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I haven't gotten bloodwork done in a couple years (unwisely skipped my annual physical last year), and hadn't focused on liver numbers before then.  My doctor never mentioned anything about them when going over my prior blood numbers.

I recall reading somewhere that while NAC can help your liver numbers, those numbers could be deceptive, as they could superficially hide an underlying problem if you're a heavy drinker. 

Either way, as long as it helps you avoid an uncomfortable conversation with your doctor, right? 

I take milk thistle for the same reason.  Mine haven't ever been out of whack, but they did creep up a bit several years ago before I started taking the thistles.  I also take a month off each year just to do a bit of a reset.

29 minutes ago, South Austin said:

What he said (whatever "mucolytic" means).

I started taking it a few years ago as a supplement that's supposed to help your liver process alcohol better.  I'm not a lush, but I like to imbibe every know and then, and since the liver is one of the more important organs in the body for metabolism, I figure I'll try to do what I can to help it out in my older age.  

Turns out it's on a few lists of supplements to better equip your body for COVID.

Be careful with that stuff. It hasn’t been studied well in humans for alcoholic liver disease. In mouse studies, they found that taking NAC before alcohol ingestion decreased liver damage. Taking it AFTER getting drunk actually worsened the liver damage.

The other thing that helps prevent alcoholic liver disease is coffee. Very strong correlation between coffee and decreased morbidity from alcoholic liver disease and cirrhosis. Could be life saving.

Edited by Sessamoid
  • Hook 'Em 2

So are hospitals just trading staffs so that they can all get that signing bonus money?  Or are they also offering that for nurses to stay, and sign a similar commitment letter?

While hospital administrators aren’t always the brightest, they’re not usually complete idiots. You get the bonus on the anniversary of your 2 or 3 year commitment.

As for the wage war that is exactly what is happening. I know a guy that left ambulance service A a month ago for a $4/hour raise at ambulance service B. After seeing 11 people leave in under two weeks, ambulance service A offered all of the defectors $3.50/hr over what service B had offered them if they would come back to service A.

12 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I know a guy that left ambulance service A a month ago for a $4/hour raise at ambulance service B. After seeing 11 people leave in under two weeks, ambulance service A offered all of the defectors $3.50/hr over what service B had offered them if they would come back to service A.

Those ambulance services need better marketing teams if all they can come up with are "ambulance service A" and "ambulance service B."  Shitty branding, if you ask me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Caleb Wallace, a 30-year-old father of three, has been unconscious, ventilated and heavily sedated

I've said it before but this is my worst fucking nightmare, outside of something happening to one of my kids.  As a dad, the thought of not being there when they get out of high school, goto college, etc. terrifies the fuck out of me.  We had kids later in life, and I skipped exams, etc. for years before my kids were born, but got right with the doctors when I had a mild health scare after my kids were born.

If you told me that having Huckleberry give me a prostrate exam every few months could help to ensure that I'm around for my kids to grow up, etc., I'd be PMing him for details.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I've said it before but this is my worst fucking nightmare, outside of something happening to one of my kids.  As a dad, the thought of not being there when they get out of high school, goto college, etc. terrifies the fuck out of me.  We had kids later in life, and I skipped exams, etc. for years before my kids were born, but got right with the doctors when I had a mild health scare after my kids were born.

If you told me that having Huckleberry give me a prostrate exam every few months could help to ensure that I'm around for my kids to grow up, etc., I'd be PMing him for details.

You are just trying to come up with a reason for that exam aren’t you?

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That's a long post for you to say that you want some butt stuff from Huckleberry.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sessamoid said:

Be careful with that stuff. It hasn’t been studied well in humans for alcoholic liver disease. In mouse studies, they found that taking NAC before alcohol ingestion decreased liver damage. Taking it AFTER getting drunk actually worsened the liver damage.

The other thing that helps prevent alcoholic liver disease is coffee. Very strong correlation between coffee and decreased morbidity from alcoholic liver disease and cirrhosis. Could be life saving.

How does that work if I'm drinking every day and taking NAC every day? Huh? Riddle me that, DOCTOR. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, dcbc said:

"Quaaludes 10-15 times a day for my ‘back pain’, Adderall to stay focused, Xanax to take the edge off, pot to mellow me out, cocaine to wake me back up again, and morphine... Well, because it's awesome." 

And Lemons.

That sounds like a right old party.

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Guess he found out. 

https://news.yahoo.com/texas-anti-mask-freedom-rally-045722778.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

Texas Anti-Mask 'Freedom Rally' Organizer Fighting For His Life With COVID-19

If He Dies Ivan Drago GIF

They set up a gofundme page. So along with wasting a hospital bed, they are wasting other people's money too.

33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

prostrate exam? If they are telling you to lay down before sticking something in, I think you're seeing the wrong guy.

707 cases in Travis County today (down slightly this day last week). Good news is every day this week has been lower than its prior week compare. Ideally this trend will continue next week. Big jump in the 1 to 9 category vs pandemic to date (not shocking due to school being back in session). 636 hospitalized (up 6 from yesterday)

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/27 vs 8/26 8 93 93 116 124 99 87 52 21 14 707
% of Daily Change 1.13% 13.15% 13.15% 16.41% 17.54% 14.00% 12.31% 7.36% 2.97% 1.98%  
% of Total Cases 0.71% 4.83% 10.88% 25.80% 20.86% 14.75% 10.87% 6.37% 3.03% 1.91%  

19 deaths in Travis County for the week ending 8/27. This is the highest since March 20th week end. The break down as follows by age group:

30 to 39 (2)

40 to 49 (2)

50 to 59 (3)

60 to 69 (5) - We have seen a blip in cases in this demo

70 to 79 (3)

80+ (4)

The deaths as they have pandemic to date largely center on those over 60. If you or someone in your life is in this age demo and not vaccinated, make sure their will is up to date.

7 hours ago, dcbc said:

"Quaaludes 10-15 times a day for my ‘back pain’, Adderall to stay focused, Xanax to take the edge off, pot to mellow me out, cocaine to wake me back up again, and morphine... Well, because it's awesome." 

And Lemons.

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

That sounds like a right old party.

shock site lemon party GIF by Christina Lu

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

So I’m a bit of a supplement geek, and have read various recommendations of supplements that can bolster the immune system and decrease the risk of severe symptoms in the age of COVID. In addition to horse paste (duh), I’ve been taking lysine, Vitamin D, and NAC during the pandemic (I was taking NAC before for liver function, but it’s on a lot of lists for COVID supplements.)

Anybody else taking anything? Or am I the only one here with expensive urine?

Vitamin D and milk thistle. I have no idea whether or not the milk thistle actually works but my liver is doing a ok and I like to have a beverage, on occasion. 

Edited by JimmyJames

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Shit, he'd do it for free 

I had the weirdest dream last night.  Mr. Ed was kicking me in the head screaming, "Give me back my fucking stash, bro!  Where's my fucking paste, man?!?  Don't you fucking hold out on me dude!"  

Turns out the imaginary horse in my dreams isn't half as stupid as half my state. 

11 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

$600 bonus + time and a half for every extra day shift you pick up and $800 bonus + time and a half and shift diff for every night shift you pick up.

And down the street at Baylor health system they’re offering $15k sign-on bonus for RT’s with a 2 or 3 year commitment. Craziness

Kind of how  they are doing it here, except your first extra shift is  time and half plus $600, the second+ is time and half plus $800

7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So are hospitals just trading staffs so that they can all get that signing bonus money?  Or are they also offering that for nurses to stay, and sign a similar commitment letter?

Some are trading. Some are just quitting and going to work for a home health/travel nurse agency and coming back to the same job/hospital at $150/hr instead of the $35-$40 they were making. The nurses that stay are then pissed off at making a third or less of what the  person beside them is making. 

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is fucking weird especially the laying face down part.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sessamoid said:

I’m afraid to get my liver tested, but fortunately I drink about 6 cups of black coffee a day with a shot of espresso mixed in each one. 

8 hours ago, Sessamoid said:

N-acetylcysteine. It’s primary use is as a mucolytic for patients with chronic lung diseases and as an antidote for Tylenol overdose.

The good news is that 75% of all attorneys worldwide reside in the US. So when the side effects are better understood, it should be easy enough to sue big supplement. Here is a hint though:

People commonly use N-acetyl cysteine for cough and other lung conditions. It is also used for flu, dry eye, and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support many of these uses. There is also no good evidence to support using N-acetyl cysteine for COVID-19.

Although many dietary supplement products contain N-acetyl cysteine, the US FDA states that it's illegal for dietary supplements to contain N-acetyl cysteine since it's technically an approved drug. Prescription N-acetyl cysteine products are available under the guidance of a healthcare provider.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1018/n-acetyl-cysteine-nac

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Bevo said:

Although many dietary supplement products contain N-acetyl cysteine, the US FDA states that it's illegal for dietary supplements to contain N-acetyl cysteine since it's technically an approved drug. Prescription N-acetyl cysteine products are available under the guidance of a healthcare provider.

I did not know that. NAC is all over the place in supplements. 

10 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Guess he found out. 

https://news.yahoo.com/texas-anti-mask-freedom-rally-045722778.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

Texas Anti-Mask 'Freedom Rally' Organizer Fighting For His Life With COVID-19

9 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Pissed that health professionals have to treat this fuckstick. Pissed that he's taking up an ICU bed for so long. He stood against everything the medical community has been trying to do to beat this shit. Assholes like him are why we are still dealing with Covid.

So much this. POS of like this guy waste a bed while ...

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-covid-veteran-dies-gallstone-covid-crowding-houston-texas-20210827-g4nl2q6ihbgdhkf3cu2yj3x2ly-story.html

Veteran unable to get treatment due to hospital’s COVID-19 crowding dies from gallstones

It was Houston, but I'm sure they are full of the same type of guys.

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

I had the weirdest dream last night.  Mr. Ed was kicking me in the head screaming, "Give me back my fucking stash, bro!  Where's my fucking paste, man?!?  Don't you fucking hold out on me dude!"  

Turns out the imaginary horse in my dreams isn't half as stupid as half my state. 

There’s a thread for that commentary, and you know it. You aren’t even responding to anything on this page. I don’t know why they let you get away with your passive aggrresive CR bullshit that you spew everywhere.

if it makes you feel better, this thread got a little off track lately. Cheers and hook ‘em.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, justhookit said:

Fify

There’s a thread for that commentary, and you know it. You aren’t even responding to anything on this page. I don’t know why they let you get away with your passive aggrresive anti-lawyer bullshit that you spew everywhere.

if it makes you feel better, this thread got a little off track lately. Cheers and hook ‘em.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, justhookit said:

There’s a thread for that commentary, and you know it. You aren’t even responding to anything on this page. I don’t know why they let you get away with your passive aggrresive CR bullshit that you spew everywhere.

My bad, I was segueing into a micro data set I got this week, and this was the wrong thread.  Mods can delete.  

Head of Ascension-Seton says medical team of ICU patients obviously ask about what other treatments they've self-administered or got before coming to one of their facilities.  He was primarily referring to their exurb/suburban locations.  Obviously they track which Covid-19 ICU patients have been vaccinated and which have not been and that's pushed out to the trackers we see on this thread.  And then who took what (Zinc, HCQ, despite my shitty joke-horse paste, and whatever else is out there under the sun).  As of this past week, his informal data collections...there are now people in his ICU's with horse paste in their system than there are people in his ICU's with the vaccine in their system.  Not saying that's correlation, it's obviously part of a broader approach to the virus, but that hospital system ain't exactly small.  I bet that's the case in many other similar systems across the South.  So that stat is he's got more people than he's got beds for.   

13 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

I’m afraid to get my liver tested, but fortunately I drink about 6 cups of black coffee a day with a shot of espresso mixed in each one. 

You should really do it. Right around when I turned 30 I started reading some articles about 30 somethings with liver damage and it freaked me out. 

I went, got a baseline, and now I go every year to make sure liver enzymes, lipids, and a whole bunch of other stuff is good. 

My liver checked out great. Perhaps it is all the coffee I drink 😉

1 hour ago, Telegraph_it said:

You should really do it. Right around when I turned 30 I started reading some articles about 30 somethings with liver damage and it freaked me out. 

I went, got a baseline, and now I go every year to make sure liver enzymes, lipids, and a whole bunch of other stuff is good. 

My liver checked out great. Perhaps it is all the coffee I drink 😉

I drink 3-4 cups of coffee a day, drink whiskey and or wine practically every day, in my 40s, and my liver has never felt better. 

Coffee (black) definitely has a protective effect for some reason and that’s not just some Internet research bullshit. Like actual real world studies with guys in white lab coats and shit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I drink 3-4 cups of coffee a day, drink whiskey and or wine practically every day, in my 40s, and my liver has never felt better. 

Coffee (black) definitely has a protective effect for some reason and that’s not just some Internet research bullshit. Like actual real world studies with guys in white lab coats and shit. 

Boom! I like it. All my coffee drinking is black as well. I’m going to google this study and send to my wife so she stops giving me so much grief for drinking multiple cups of coffee a day. 

19 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Boom! I like it. All my coffee drinking is black as well. I’m going to google this study and send to my wife so she stops giving me so much grief for drinking multiple cups of coffee a day. 

Read this dudes book. Talks about the big 5 health benefits. Coffee, vitamin D, exercise, nuts and meditation. All either free or extremely cheap so it’s not a grift either like horse paste. 

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/good-news-coffee-drinkers-may-protect-liver/

The Big Five: Five Simple Things You Can Do to Live a Longer, Healthier Life

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Five-Simple-Things-Healthier/dp/125006533X

Edited by JimmyJames

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Read this dudes book. Talks about the big 5 health benefits. Coffee, vitamin D, exercise, nuts and meditation. All either free or extremely cheap so it’s not a grift either like horse paste. 

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/good-news-coffee-drinkers-may-protect-liver/

Quit trying to Cloak Room this safe space with your anti-horse paste rhetoric. 

John Mackey quietly endorses that same thing, but instead of nuts---his big thing is seeds.  Hence 10% of whole food locales seem to be dedicated to seed inventory like a Norwegian mountain bunker.  Plus John doesn't share my affinity for red meat and hooch.  But yeah, for all their expensive shit---he tried to keep some coffee, nuts/seeds/legumes, and basic vitamins rather affordable (and they are when compared to their peer group store chains).  And then they added "wellness/training/yoga" gear and that shit just gets outta hand cost-wise before you realize.  He also touts the other two screamingly obvious add-ons to any healthy lifestyle---water and sleep.  Followed by sleep and water.  And then even sleepy water.  And then moist sleep (call South Austin's Mom).  

He's been rather silent since Covid-19 outbreak, I'm sure Bezos and his board have instructed him to do that.......but I'm incredibly curious what he thinks of all this proactive/reactive shit with regard to the virus. 

I'm not going to quote much of the article, because of who he is (you can discuss his politics in CR), but one of the major figures in the anti-mask/anti-vaccine movement in Texas died of COVID yesterday, after having been in the hospital since July 30th.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/27/world/texas-anti-mask-organizer-clings-to-life-in-a-battle-with-covid-19.html/?fbclid=IwAR1s_88_6HLAK3rMzqXYWvJ-sfTTCUuZpfXFKMPRi25R9I_0PiagJV2NijM

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/caleb-wallace-anti-mask-organizer-and-co-founder-of-the-san-angelo-freedom-defenders-dies-of-covid-19/

Caleb Wallace, the co-founder of the San Angelo Freedom Defenders.... has died from causes related to COVID-19, according to an update on gofundme by his wife, Jessica Wallace.

“Caleb has peacefully passed on. He will forever live in our hearts and minds❤️,” reads the most recent update on the campaign that was set up to help Wallace’s three children and his wife, a stay-at-home mother who is expecting a fourth child in late September.

“This money is also going towards Calebs medical bills as they start coming in,” reads an update to the campaign’s description, “He’s now been in the hospital since July 30th and I know I must prepare for them as well. Gotta pray for the best and prepare for the worst.”

While Wallace had become a semi-regular feature in local news through his conservative activism, it was his battle with COVID-19 that garnered the national spotlight after his family’s struggle was featured in an article published in the San Angelo Standard Times on Sunday, August 22, 2021.

From the GoFundME (this first update was a few weeks into his hospital stay): And don't shit on the wife - she

Hello, my name is Jessica Wallace. I am Calebs wife. Caleb has unfortunately been intubated due to COVID hitting his lungs hard. Caleb has always worked hard to allow me to be a stay at home mom and now in these difficult times I don’t know where to turn. We have 3 beautiful girls and one more darling that will join us Sept 27.

I have had friends and family ask how they can help, and for the longest time bills we’re not on my mind but with Caleb being out for over 2 weeks the bills are approaching and we were not prepared for this to be happening. I need help with mortgage, water, electricity and necessities for the girls. Anything helps at the moment. I’m trying to prepare for this month and the next. 

With being this far along in pregnancy I can’t get a job and after delivery I’ll need s few weeks to recover. I have been in contact with his doctors and they have estimated Caleb will be out at least 6 months. 1-2 intubated and at least 6 months of hard rehab to get him back on his feet. 

This was towards the end before he passed away:

Caleb won’t make it much longer. He will be moved to comfort care tomorrow and I will get to be there with him until it’s his time to return to our father in heaven. I appreciate everyone all the good and the bad. You all have the right to feel the way you feel as Caleb once fought for his beliefs. He was an imperfect man but he loved his family and his little girls more than anything. 

To those who wished him death, I’m sorry his views and opinions hurt you. I prayed he’d come out of this with a new perspective and more appreciation for life. I can’t say much more than that because I can’t speak for him.

I'll say my piece in the next post because this went longcat.