COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

39 minutes ago, troph said:

Came to check out stats etc hoping this decline from the peak is followed by another trough. I know we are all worn out by this. 

curious if the next peak will be delta or another variant?

Unfortunately Texas overall is going back up.  I’m not sure any country or state has fully emerged from their delta wave yet. Maybe India.

• Rage+1 1

Yeah I was disappointed in the decisions being made by thousands on my tc yesterday. From the stadia to the tv location audience. 

still feel that start of school plus start of football season plus labor day weekend is going to lead to big case numbers in a couple weeks or a month.  Hoping the hospitalization, ICU, and vent laggers don’t follow. 
if none of that happens, maybe we can take that as evidence of, let’s call it endemic normalcy, where there’s enough antibodied people to control the spread and limit the severity so that it’s headed towards a flu-like illness or even a cold like many other Coronas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Unfortunately Texas overall is going back up.  I’m not sure any country or state has fully emerged from their delta wave yet. Maybe India.

It looks like hospitalizations have plateaued. I wouldn’t be surprised to see cases stay elevated a little longer than past waves just as time passes and more people get further out from their vaccinations. 

Cases will probably go up due to school openings and mass gatherings (e.g. UT football) but since those demos skew to much lower risk of serious illness and a higher % of higher risk have immunity, I’m hopeful hospitalizations will keep declining and this time for good.  Of course, I predicted hospitalizations in the metro would peak at 350 in this wave so we are probably all fucked.

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

I didn’t wear a mask in the stands. It was just too damn hot. But I wore it when I was moving through the crowds under the stands and in the Champions Club.

Speaking of which, the Champions Club was pretty packed and nobody, I mean nobody, was wearing a mask inside. I’m guessing there will be more than a handful of positives coming out of the game.

And watching some of the night games, I’m pretty sure it was like that all over the country.

About the only mass mask wearing i saw at DKR yesterday was the group of about 100 St. David's healthcare workers honored on the field yesterday. Every single one of them wearing a mask.

All i could think about was them thinking: "Yeah, we'll be seeing some of you motherfuckers again soon."

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 3

On 9/5/2021 at 8:37 AM, MissingInAction said:

Saw an old friend from college on a school board video testifying against masks and vaccines. Very surprising as she had a scholarship in mechanical engineering, smart as hell, and total party animal.

I guess 20 years in leander surrounded by evangelical nitwits can change anyone.

Don't discount the natural instinct of an engineer to assume they know more about everything than anyone else after having read a base level of information about the topic on the Internet.  It's as if the education and life experience that makes them good engineers makes them more susceptible to manipulation regarding every other topic.  QAnon, Texags, and anti-vaxers count many engineers among their ranks.  They're a natural fit.

Leander Evangelical influence probably didn't help.  Lots of crossover behavior between the two groups.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 9/5/2021 at 1:14 PM, Satoshi said:

It looks like hospitalizations have plateaued. I wouldn’t be surprised to see cases stay elevated a little longer than past waves just as time passes and more people get further out from their vaccinations. 

Or a bunch of hospitals have run out of beds and are shifting them elsewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

Had to take my GF to the emergency clinic today. Fractured hand. MoFo's with no mask sitting there coughing on everyone. They were trying to tell people to go elsewhere but bubba Jim bob (good SEC Band name?) just sat his ass in the waiting room and kept coughing. Intake person asked him to put on a mask he said nope. 

God that sucked. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

3 more (very large) hospital groups announce this reporting period they are officially out of ICU beds.  Primarily due to unvaxxed Covid-19 cases (their words, not mine).  

But y'all be sure to pat yourselves on the back 'cause we done beat this thing with Texas Grit 'n Fire!  

We're just fucking Alabama with money.  That's all we are at this point.  The dumbest fucking rich people in town.  

3 more (very large) hospital groups announce this reporting period they are officially out of ICU beds.  Primarily due to unvaxxed Covid-19 cases (their words, not mine).  
But y'all be sure to pat yourselves on the back 'cause we done beat this thing with Texas Grit 'n Fire!  
We're just fucking Alabama with money.  That's all we are at this point.  The dumbest fucking rich people in town.  

The only reason we have the money is petroleum. Until oil was discovered, we were Mississippi with good chili. Now, we’re Mississippi with oil and Mexican food. And we’re fucking PROUD of how bassackwards we are, so much so that we’re still sprinting that direction.

Oh, and our oil-rich are leading that charge. They won’t rest until we’ve made moronity a legal obligation.
  • Hook 'Em 3

As a state, well shit, we are Katy or Round Rock. Better than being Tyler.

But..... For every Longhorn there is both an aggy and a red raider. Toss in a good mix of Rice, which is quickly leveled by Texas State, and we are as mediocre as the rest of the nation. Well except for Oklahoma. They still suck. 

Do we have enough in the wreath fund to purchase an island? Like Madagascar ?

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The only reason we have the money is petroleum. Until oil was discovered, we were Mississippi with good chili. Now, we’re Mississippi with oil and Mexican food. And we’re fucking PROUD of how bassackwards we are, so much so that we’re still sprinting that direction.

Oh, and our oil-rich are leading that charge. They won’t rest until we’ve made moronity a legal obligation.

This is dumb even grading on a Brisketjustbloviating curve

nasa-logo-web-rgb.png

att_globe_500x500.jpg

Dell-Emblem.jpg

low-vision-bwi-southwest.jpg?format=1000

American-Airlines-Logo-1967.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah. This isn’t true at all… Texas has a lot more going for it than just oil. 

You’re describing Louisiana. 

We've got a great diversity of industry.  I'm proud of that.  My only point was all the money, all the resources, all the talent...hasn't made us a lick smarter.  

Our greatness is a myth we perpetuate to help wash away the bitter taste of our magnitudinal stupidity.  

Two more pre-schools in Austin announced full closure this morning.  But remember, kids can't get Covid.  

However, we remain optimistic.  For today, a whopping 2 ICU beds have become available in all of Central Texas.  Guess why?  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We've got a great diversity of industry.  I'm proud of that.  My only point was all the money, all the resources, all the talent...hasn't made us a lick smarter.  

Our greatness is a myth we perpetuate to help wash away the bitter taste of our magnitudinal stupidity.  

Two more pre-schools in Austin announced full closure this morning.  But remember, kids can't get Covid.  

However, we remain optimistic.  For today, a whopping 2 ICU beds have become available in all of Central Texas.  Guess why?  

They recovered?!

• Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What state would you say is full of smarter people that make good decisions in governance?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dude….it’s around 35% of our economy. Without petroleum, we’re shit. Texas before the discovery of oil was a poor agricultural (lotta cotton), state. Just like Mississippi.

California without the perfect weather, beautiful coast line, mountains, deep water ports, perfect agriculture conditions and being the gateway to asia would not be what it is.  What's your point?  Any state that is worth a shit is due to a bunch of inherent advantages it had nothing to do with.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Texas before the discovery of oil was a poor agricultural (lotta cotton), state. Just like Mississippi.

GUYS!  Texas economy back when my grandpappy was borned was based on one thing!  Literally nothing happened from 1960 to present day that make us the 9th largest GPD in the world!

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

What state would you say is full of smarter people that make good decisions in governance?

Fair point.  I think Somoa does a pretty decent job.  

It's just that our poor governance used to be a point of justified consternation.  Now it's a source of pride for some bizarre reason.  It's become more evident to me that I missed a meeting about 3 years ago and got left out of the new "path forward" in Texas.  Which is fine, I woulda just held us back.  

16 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Had to take my GF to the emergency clinic today. Fractured hand. MoFo's with no mask sitting there coughing on everyone. They were trying to tell people to go elsewhere but bubba Jim bob (good SEC Band name?) just sat his ass in the waiting room and kept coughing. Intake person asked him to put on a mask he said nope. 

God that sucked. 

You went to an emergency clinic that does not know how to handle COVID. Many hospital systems are telling people to wear masks or GTFO.  That might be a business decision but I would bet that 90% of people who face that option, will accept the mask since they want to see a doc.

Most importantly they are protecting other patients and their staff by requiring dumbasses to wear a mask.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

You went to an emergency clinic that does not know how to handle COVID. Many hospital systems are telling people to wear masks or GTFO.  That might be a business decision but I would bet that 90% of people who face that option, will accept the mask since they want to see a doc.
Most importantly they are protecting other patients and their staff by requiring dumbasses to wear a mask.

Wearing a mask in a hospital or urgent care should be a full-time deal forever, since you know, people go there when they are more likely to have an infectious disease.

4 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Wearing a mask in a hospital or urgent care should be a full-time deal forever, since you know, people go there when they are more likely to have an infectious disease.

Sorry you hate freedom. 

(That is correct though. How was that never a thing? Just have a box of masks at the door. Say they are required.)

Edited by Deej

1260 cases from 9/3 to 9/7 for Travis County (they didn't report Labor Day). This is actually down a little over a hundred cases for last weekend + Monday so that is directional a positive. In addition there are 540 people hospitalized (lowest since Aug 8th).

Still skewing younger but with big numbers there still will be higher death counts (as we have seen the past couple of weeks)

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 9/7 vs 9/3 11 157 198 254 254 178 99 67 26 16 1260
% of Daily Change 0.87% 12.46% 15.71% 20.16% 20.16% 14.13% 7.86% 5.32% 2.06% 1.27%  
% of Total Cases 0.73% 5.13% 11.04% 25.58% 20.84% 14.71% 10.77% 6.34% 3.00% 1.87%  
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

1260 cases from 9/3 to 9/7 for Travis County (they didn't report Labor Day). This is actually down a little over a hundred cases for last weekend + Monday so that is directional a positive. In addition there are 540 people hospitalized (lowest since Aug 8th).

Still skewing younger but with big numbers there still will be higher death counts (as we have seen the past couple of weeks)

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 9/7 vs 9/3 11 157 198 254 254 178 99 67 26 16 1260
% of Daily Change 0.87% 12.46% 15.71% 20.16% 20.16% 14.13% 7.86% 5.32% 2.06% 1.27%  
% of Total Cases 0.73% 5.13% 11.04% 25.58% 20.84% 14.71% 10.77% 6.34% 3.00% 1.87%  

As always, thanks for the numbers.

Just wondering if you have the peak hospitalization number from this wave handy?  I can go look back through the thread but thought you might have it easily accessible.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

4 hours ago, Deej said:

Sorry you hate freedom. 

(That is correct though. How was that never a thing? Just have a box of masks at the door. Say they are required.)

We've been using Austin Regional Clinic for years, and they've always had masks/gloves at the desk as you walk in, and pre-covid, a little sign about wearing a mask if you were sick.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Oh they mandated it, but this fat fuck was not going to be told what to do by a 5 foot tall Latina. He parked his truck at the entrance and just sat there. Looking back, I should have said something and that is on me. Or shot him in the arm with a blow gun, making him go to sleep and then launching his ass into Spring Lake to become turtle food. I am tired of these fucks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

As always, thanks for the numbers.

Just wondering if you have the peak hospitalization number from this wave handy?  I can go look back through the thread but thought you might have it easily accessible.

Thanks!

Happy to help!

653 on Aug 25th was the peak so we are down 113 from that time in terms of people in the hospital.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got Covid 19 notifications from my kid's schools. The numbers are higher than any school day last year and I expect them to keep going up like the National Debt Clock. It's fucking insane that the school district is just cruising along as if this is no big deal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, F250 said:

Just got Covid 19 notifications from my kid's schools. The numbers are higher than any school day last year and I expect them to keep going up like the National Debt Clock. It's fucking insane that the school district is just cruising along as if this is no big deal.

Yeah, my daughter's district had 3 times as many cases last week compared to any week in the last year. Not good. 

14 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Yeah, my daughter's district had 3 times as many cases last week compared to any week in the last year. Not good. 

The worst part is that the increase in cases are occurring at the elementary school level. Last year it was pretty rare to get a Covid notice from the elementary school but common for the high school. Now it's just burning through the elementary schools and none of them are old enough for the vaccine. Our district didn't put any effort into mitigating the spread of Covid this year.

14 hours ago, F250 said:

This Is Fine GIF

• Rage+1 1

15 hours ago, F250 said:

What’s weird is the rest of the district is relatively fine. It’s just that small area of the district. Some kind of localized Bulverde/Spring Branch breakout. 

Edited by Satoshi

23 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

What’s weird is the rest of the district is relatively fine. It’s just that small area of the district. Some kind of localized Bulverde/Spring Branch breakout. 

Being very familiar with the area it's not really surprising.

• Hook 'Em 1

In late July, many were pointing to the UK as how the delta wave will suddenly go away after it hits a certain point. Now we're 45 days later, and the UK is once again approaching their daily new case peak. They're still 20% lower than their July peak but cases are going in the wrong direction. 

Point being that any community shouldn't let its guard down just because cases are dropping. But when I go out in Houston, I basically see fewer masks than I saw early in the summer.

Capture - Copy (5).JPG

3 hours ago, F250 said:

The worst part is that the increase in cases are occurring at the elementary school level. Last year it was pretty rare to get a Covid notice from the elementary school but common for the high school. Now it's just burning through the elementary schools and none of them are old enough for the vaccine. Our district didn't put any effort into mitigating the spread of Covid this year.

Those districts, much like this board, didn't want to hurt anyone's fee-fees by admitting that COVID is an actual problem that we have to fucking take seriously. We all fucked around, we all have no ICU beds. 

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Those districts, much like this board, didn't want to hurt anyone's fee-fees by admitting that COVID is an actual problem that we have to fucking take seriously. We all fucked around, we all have no ICU beds. 

Those of us that tried our best not to fuck around…still have no icu beds. 

And fuck Mr. Kim...I've lost all respect for that guy. He's throw up his hands and says this all we're allowed to do because some fucking guy in a wheelchair said so.

My wife works one day a week in Johnson city ISD. Shares an office with some bitch that just has allergies. Yep. Tested positive today. My wife is in the Pfizer study and got her booster about a month ago. We'll see how this goes.
  • Hook 'Em 2