COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, back to a bigger conversation we had a while back about how much immunity the population really might have.  MAYBE there's some cause for optimism, in the long-term:

So, takeaways: BEFORE this Delta spike, we were at over 80% of adults having some level of exposure (and thus some level of immunity/resistance).  This tracks with our expectations that we were underreporting overall cases (to be expected -- not everyone who is sick, especially the asymptomatic, gets tested).

So, MAYBE between 1) this Delta burn, 2) a slow burn of increased vaccinations, and 3) approval (soon, we hope) of vaccines for kids, we can get CLOSE to the kind of numbers that present "herd immunity."

Again, we won't eliminate COVID, it is and will continue to be endemic.  But we can keep outbreaks relatively manageable and small, both in numbers and duration.  Maybe.  I dunno.  I'm typing something hopeful, so there's probably something wrong with me.  Maybe I have the rona in my brain.

Vaccines for young children (and enough people using them) is absolutely the game changer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Two Covid kids died last week and one coded yesterday but they got her back. Two others circling the drain. Opened a third Covid wing and filled it in less than 12 hours.

Got screamed at for politely telling a parent that she or her husband needed to take their other 5 kids that running around the waiting room that weren’t sick back to the car while we waited for the test results of the two sick ones to come back (positive). Security wasn’t as polite to her.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 6

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Two Covid kids died last week and one coded yesterday but they got her back. Two others circling the drain. Opened a third Covid wing and filled it in less than 12 hours.

Got screamed at for politely telling a parent that she or her husband needed to take their other 5 kids that running around the waiting room that weren’t sick back to the car while we waited for the test results of the two sick ones to come back (positive). Security wasn’t as polite to her.

Where do you work, geographically?  As specific or generic as you are comfortable. 

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

<6, 7-12 or 12-18?

4 minutes ago, whithou said:

Things are still grim at my ICU in Houston. The one thing I'm struggling with the most this time around is taking care of pregnant patients. I was pregnant the last wave and was terrified of getting COVID even though we didn't have any pregnant COVID patients. I don't know how I would be able to keep it together if I was still pregnant this time around. We have a handful of them now and all of them had to have emergency C-sections once their oxygen saturations dropped. The silver lining is that the babies are doing well down in the neonatal ICU but the moms are still intubated with no signs of improvement. Even with the additional ICU that opened up we are still full with no open ICU beds. One perk is that our administration is pretty much throwing money at us to stay in our current roles. I currently get four times my salary to just show up at work so I have been thinking of using that extra cash for a trip once this nightmare is (hopefully) over. 

that's horrible, i hadn't heard how pregnant women who deliver while having covid are faring.  do the newborns have covid also?

4 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

that's horrible, i hadn't heard how pregnant women who deliver while having covid are faring.  do the newborns have covid also?

I know of one of them testing positive and having respiratory distress. I'm not sure if it was from COVID or from the fact that the baby was premature (30 weeker). 

4 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

7 kids? But why? It's fucking 2021

2 hours ago, whithou said:

Things are still grim at my ICU in Houston. The one thing I'm struggling with the most this time around is taking care of pregnant patients. I was pregnant the last wave and was terrified of getting COVID even though we didn't have any pregnant COVID patients. I don't know how I would be able to keep it together if I was still pregnant this time around. We have a handful of them now and all of them had to have emergency C-sections once their oxygen saturations dropped. The silver lining is that the babies are doing well down in the neonatal ICU but the moms are still intubated with no signs of improvement. Even with the additional ICU that opened up we are still full with no open ICU beds. One perk is that our administration is pretty much throwing money at us to stay in our current roles. I currently get four times my salary to just show up at work so I have been thinking of using that extra cash for a trip once this nightmare is (hopefully) over. 

My youngest daughter is pregnant right now.  Had RSV this past week and has been tested twice for Covid.  Negative both times.  She is due late November early December. 

She wanted to get vaccinated after her pregnancy started and as delta was doing it's thing but because of an auto-immune disorder her doctor did not recommend it.  Not sure of all the specifics regarding this, only what I am told.

Anyway, because of the things like @whithou (hang in there and God bless)described, it has definitely caused some hand wringing having her have to navigate this. 

I fully expect to be holding my 1st grandson this time in December and having my daughter healthy and recovering but dang.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

My youngest daughter is pregnant right now.  Had RSV this past week and has been tested twice for Covid.  Negative both times.  She is due late November early December. 

She wanted to get vaccinated after her pregnancy started and as delta was doing it's thing but because of an auto-immune disorder her doctor did not recommend it.  Not sure of all the specifics regarding this, only what I am told.

Anyway, because of the things like @whithou (hang in there and God bless)described, it has definitely caused some hand wringing having her have to navigate this. 

I fully expect to be holding my 1st grandson this time in December and having my daughter healthy and recovering but dang.  

Hang in there man.  My daughter got pregnant in February 2020, delivered 3 weeks premature in October.  As mentally stressful as it was for my wife and I, I can't imagine what it was like for her and her husband.  Thankfully now she's vaxxed and we have a healthy 10 month old who was just walking around here in my office an hour or two ago.  Hopefully things turn out just as well for you.  Godspeed, my man.  My brother's son and DIL are due next month as well with their first kid.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

738 cases today for Travis County. Cases still skewing younger (as it has been during Delta's onslaught)

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 9/3 vs 9/2 11 96 121 137 147 102 59 41 16 8 738
% of Daily Change 1.49% 13.01% 16.40% 18.56% 19.92% 13.82% 7.99% 5.56% 2.17% 1.08%  
% of Total Cases 0.73% 5.04% 10.98% 25.64% 20.85% 14.71% 10.81% 6.35% 3.01%

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Hang in there man.  My daughter got pregnant in February 2020, delivered 3 weeks premature in October.  As mentally stressful as it was for my wife and I, I can't imagine what it was like for her and her husband.  Thankfully now she's vaxxed and we have a healthy 10 month old who was just walking around here in my office an hour or two ago.  Hopefully things turn out just as well for you.  Godspeed, my man.  My brother's son and DIL are due next month as well with their first kid.

@Judge Roybeanbag, Thanks! I appreciate this.  Hope all goes will for yours too.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Zeus said:

1630705906374-pol.jpg

1630713653996-pol.jpg

Hate to break it to Joe "Braniac" Rogan but this is either a false negative or as usual, the antigen test has an exponentially false negative rate 5 days + from onset of symptoms. His negative test doesn't mean jack. You still have Covid Joe, and are likely still somewhat contagious if you are less than 7-10 days into your illness.

Edited by Newdoc
english

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

Hate to break it to Joe "Braniac" Rogan but this is either a false negative or as usual, the antigen test has an exponentially false negative rate 5 days + from onset of symptoms. His negative test doesn't mean jack. You still have Covid Joe, and are likely still somewhat contagious if you are less than 7-10 days into your illness.

You should probably tell him. None of his listeners will.

Posted about it before but my sisters bf caught covid in Denton County Jail 2 months ago. They moved him to Denton Regional 2 week ago and he was put on a ventilator. Last week they said he wasn't gonna make it, well he died an hour ago. The family got the call earlier and was told he died of a heart attack. Umm what? I am drinking and watching the game but what the fuck?

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 3

Posted about it before but my sisters bf caught covid in Denton County Jail 2 months ago. They moved him to Denton Regional 2 week ago and he was put on a ventilator. Last week they said he wasn't gonna make it, well he died an hour ago. The family got the call earlier and was told he died of a heart attack. Umm what? I am drinking and watching the game but what the fuck?

Lotta prisoners getting heart attacks and slipping on their tea these days.

2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Your sister probably dodged a bullet. 

My dad got home from the nursing home and fell in my kitchen. Big knot on his head. Mom called the ambulance. They were like- yeah we can’t take him to the hospital, it’s all full with the Rona. 
thankfully he went to the emergency center place that had a CT and he was negative for brain bleed and back home, but yeah, if that would have gone a different way it would have been a bummer. He would have probably died 3 months ago with his fall and brain bleed if he wasn’t treated at the hospital. 
I am completely puzzled by people who don’t Vax. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

i guess i am going to come off as negative, but i was SHOCKED how few people were wearing masks at the game today (less than 1%)

i dont know if it is covid fatigue or people who are vaccinated feel bulletproof, but last year when most were opting out...

September 4, 2020 - 128 covid deaths in Texas

Yesterday (9/3/21) - 301 covid deaths in Texas

---

Austin recorded 36 covid deaths this week - the highest number in over a year.

Only 47% of Texans are fully vaccinated... i am to assume 1 in 2 people at that stadium today were not vaccinated?

Edited by yoladu

56 minutes ago, yoladu said:

i guess i am going to come off as negative, but i was SHOCKED how few people were wearing masks at the game today (less than 1%)

i dont know if it is covid fatigue or people who are vaccinated feel bulletproof, but last year when most were opting out...

Do you know how much unprotected sex there is after a UT football game?

Lobo could probably bust out the statistics.

fff34747-1d94-475f-b3e0-566b667bdee3_tex

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My dad got home from the nursing home and fell in my kitchen. Big knot on his head. Mom called the ambulance. They were like- yeah we can’t take him to the hospital, it’s all full with the Rona. 
thankfully he went to the emergency center place that had a CT and he was negative for brain bleed and back home, but yeah, if that would have gone a different way it would have been a bummer. He would have probably died 3 months ago with his fall and brain bleed if he wasn’t treated at the hospital. 
I am completely puzzled by people who don’t Vax. 

Glad things worked out well with your dad.   That’s what killed my old man 2 years ago.  Got up to answer the door, fell and whacked his head on his computer tray.  Seemed like no big deal, the nurse checked him out.  Brain bleed ended up getting him 5 days later.  

50 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Saw an old friend from college on a school board video testifying against masks and vaccines. Very surprising as she had a scholarship in mechanical engineering, smart as hell, and total party animal.

I guess 20 years in leander surrounded by evangelical nitwits can change anyone.

20 years around them sure as hell changed me !! 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

12 hours ago, yoladu said:

I didn’t wear a mask in the stands. It was just too damn hot. But I wore it when I was moving through the crowds under the stands and in the Champions Club.

Speaking of which, the Champions Club was pretty packed and nobody, I mean nobody, was wearing a mask inside. I’m guessing there will be more than a handful of positives coming out of the game.

And watching some of the night games, I’m pretty sure it was like that all over the country.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1