COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

22 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Big case day in Travis County today - 1037 cases - hair over 300 more vs this day last week. 549 hospitalized. This sucks.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 9/9 vs 9/8 12 103 154 223 203 128 93 69 32 20 1037
% of Daily Change 1.16% 9.93% 14.85% 21.50% 19.58% 12.34% 8.97% 6.65% 3.09% 1.93%  
% of Total Cases 0.74% 5.22% 11.10% 25.51% 20.81% 14.68% 10.74% 6.33% 3.00% 1.87%  

That is extremely depressing. 

I would guess that case numbers will continue to be high thru at least October due to schools spreading it.  But I am still hopeful that hospitalizations will keep dropping (7 day MA still shows as declining) and with some luck (ie no new vax resistant variants) we won’t see another spike.

Edited by Snake Diggity

Does she like popsicles? An easy way to get kids to increase their PO intake when they don’t want to eat or drink is to ply them with popsicles. Juices work good too. You can rotate Tylenol and Motrin to combat the fever, just don’t exceed the 24 hours max dose on the label. Sorry to hear about your kiddo

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Does she like popsicles? An easy way to get kids to increase their PO intake when they don’t want to eat or drink is to ply them with popsicles. Juices work good too. You can rotate Tylenol and Motrin to combat the fever, just don’t exceed the 24 hours max dose on the label. Sorry to hear about your kiddo

thanks...she is definitely resisting but ultimately eating and drinking, as well as taking vitamins...making her fruit forward smoothies, etc...  weirdest part is she claims that water tastes like vomit/rotten.  but we're forcing it down.

finally hit her with a dose of tylenol last night and then motrin 5 hours later when she was peaking and sweating like crazy but haven't had to today as she's been hovering around 100 for most of the day and she's been okay.

thanks for the input.

• Hook 'Em 8

34 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

What's the AISD athletic calendar like? Did games start up in most sports last week? School populations will be mixing for the first time at athletic events, not just on the court/field but in the stands.

My freshman som has played three football games so far. Although I’d warrant bulk of team are vaccinated. You get hammered with contact tracking if not. (I think 10 day sit out)

1 hour ago, sidis said:

my eight year old daughter is one of the 103...almost certainly got it from school at eanes.  last night was rough with serious fever and terrible headache but she seems to be turning a corner just a bit.  fever down and slightly less pathetic this afternoon.  not a fun night last night for sure.  her little sister, mom, and I all feel fine so far and have tested negative yesterday and today so hopefully that stays the case but we will see in a few days.  we are sticking to the house through the weekend and then reassess.  wife and i are moderna vaxxed and neither kid has any obvious immunity or health issues that have revealed themselves yet. 

How do you get the rest of the family to not get infected? I imagine you’ll have to care for your kid, take her temperature, etc. Also, about testing, how did you get the family tested? Did you do some sort of at-home test? How do you figure if you can keep the sick kid home or take her to the ER?

7 minutes ago, XYZ said:

How do you get the rest of the family to not get infected? I imagine you’ll have to care for your kid, take her temperature, etc. Also, about testing, how did you get the family tested? Did you do some sort of at-home test? How do you figure if you can keep the sick kid home or take her to the ER?

we certainly may eventually.  going to hope the vax helps in keeping us from getting infected but it very well may show up in the next few days.  we are being very dutiful in washing after being in her room but who knows what will happen.  we have used both the at home antigen tests that anastasis is going to have to send me more of over the last couple of days and then a pcr test for each of us today at a testing place.  she tested negative using at home test when she said she was feeling a little off on tuesday but yesterday, she came back with two positives on the binax at-home tests and a third positive on a pcr.  plus, could just tell.  the rest of us have tested multiple times now and will just wait to see if we feel anything off before using another test as they are running low.

just a parental gut thing on the hospital.  was a little concerned we were headed there last night but she finally started to break the other way.  today her spirits were much higher than yesterday.  easier to talk to, eating, drinking, and temp was naturally staying stable at 100 without meds.  if she starts having trouble breathing or we can't keep her temp controlled, will head to the hospital but obviously hoping it doesn't come to that.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Every cunt in the hospital for covid is unvaccinated.

Are you sure about this?  I believe there are some vaccinated folks who are old and/or immunocompromised who have ended up in the hospital.  It may only be 2% of the COVID patient hospitalizations, but I don't think 100% of the vaccinated population has avoided a stay at the hospital.

we certainly may eventually.  going to hope the vax helps in keeping us from getting infected but it very well may show up in the next few days.  we are being very dutiful in washing after being in her room but who knows what will happen.  we have used both the at home antigen tests that anastasis is going to have to send me more of over the last couple of days and then a pcr test for each of us today at a testing place.  she tested negative using at home test when she said she was feeling a little off on tuesday but yesterday, she came back with two positives on the binax at-home tests and a third positive on a pcr.  plus, could just tell.  the rest of us have tested multiple times now and will just wait to see if we feel anything off before using another test as they are running low.
just a parental gut thing on the hospital.  was a little concerned we were headed there last night but she finally started to break the other way.  today her spirits were much higher than yesterday.  easier to talk to, eating, drinking, and temp was naturally staying stable at 100 without meds.  if she starts having trouble breathing or we can't keep her temp controlled, will head to the hospital but obviously hoping it doesn't come to that.

The hospital is the worst place to be for someone that doesn’t really need it. You seem to be levelheaded about this so I’m probably not speaking to you specifically, but if I had a dollar for every person that freaked the fuck out and brought their kid to the ED or better yet called 911 for an ambulance (taxi) ride to the ED because their kid had been exposed to the virus two hours earlier I’d have enough money to quit at least two of my part time gigs.

Keep in mind this is just what I learned from staying at a Holiday Inn last night and is in no way meant as a substitute for real medical advice, but unless she goes a substantial amount of time without going to the bathroom (12+ hours no time pee) or has difficulty breathing and/or you notice she is working harder than normal to breathe (using accessory muscles or retracting) then you don’t need a hospital. Keep her hydrated and if in doubt, call your doctor. That said, there’s something to be said for parental intuition.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sidis said:

The one that I am most concerned about catching a case is my 7 year old.  He had a go round with bronchiolitis/RSV/who knows what very early on and ended up in PICU with ARDS. Reactive airway flared up a couple times after that on ski trips at elevation and other situations. I recently broke out a few of his inhalers from the back of the pantry that haven't seen light of day for a while, just in case needed. He'd probably not be with us right now if mom didn't follow her gut instinct and make the call to go to Dell. Moms know. Follow their instincts.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

That said, there’s something to be said for parental intuition.

That is good advice. My dad (MD) gave the same advice to my wife after our first son was born. She thought the baby looked a little yellow (maybe a week after being born). No one else noticed anything different. Went to the hospital based on that advice and his bilirubin was pretty fucking high so he had to spend a few days under the lights. Glad she caught it and glad for the advice.

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Keep in mind this is just what I learned from staying at a Holiday Inn last night

wait, i thought you were an m.d.  yeah, i am fairly calm about these things in general and i have been pleasantly surprised by how rational the wife has been so far.  it would take a lot for us to rush off to a hospital (lots of drs in circle of friends and family) but there are certainly times where you can just tell as a parent that something is wrong and warrants taking the next step.  luckily we haven't had that happen yet but at 3am last night, we were hitting a couple of hours of sustained 103 type fever in addition to a splitting headache after motrin and it was getting a bit agonizing.  luckily, she really seems to take a turn at that point and started to improve slowly but surely.  recovery seems to have followed a fairly linear path over the course of the day and evening so far.  hopefully that continues.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

The one that I am most concerned about catching a case is my 7 year old.  He had a go round with bronchiolitis/RSV/who knows what very early on and ended up in PICU with ARDS. Reactive airway flared up a couple times after that on ski trips at elevation and other situations. I recently broke out a few of his inhalers from the back of the pantry that haven't seen light of day for a while, just in case needed. He'd probably not be with us right now if mom didn't follow her gut instinct and make the call to go to Dell. Moms know. Follow their instincts.  

yeah, they do.  and fortunately, my wife is not prone to histrionics so when she gets panicked, it is definitely time to advance to the next level.  luckily, neither of my daughters have shown any health or immunity issues but this definitely knocked her on her butt.  if she had breathing passage issues, i'd be a bit more agitated and alarmed.  she only told me she was struggling to breathe once last night but it fortunately passed quickly.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Man. Our little one caught RSV in spring and that was terrifying. Darth Vader breathing and all that. Glad your little man made it ok.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Born to Run said:
17 hours ago, Huckleberry said:
What's the AISD athletic calendar like? Did games start up in most sports last week? School populations will be mixing for the first time at athletic events, not just on the court/field but in the stands.

Games started late August. Full capacity. Football, band, volleyball etc.

been to two High School football games this season. I would say 2% to 3% of the crowd is masked despite..

• AISD requiring masks be worn at the stadium
  • multiple loud speaker announcements during breaks in the game, reminding people to wear masks to help stop the spread of Covid.

literally no fucks given.

Edited by yoladu

4 hours ago, yoladu said:

been to two High School football games this season. I would say 2% to 3% of the crowd is masked despite..

• multiple loud speaker announcements during breaks in the game, reminding people to wear masks to help stop the spread of Covid.

They'll care if things get bad and they A) aren't allowed into reduced capacity stadiums and B) high school sports starts shutting down.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, yoladu said:

McCallum parents are overwhelmingly masked. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Our secretary tested positive.... she passed out, fell, and had to get 7 staples. Needs to be in the hospital but had to be moved to one with any space.

So all of us in the office have been "exposed."  Good job to our agency heads who thought it a smart idea to bring us all back into the office at once, during Stage 5 of this shit (and on the first day of AISD, no less). 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Are you sure about this?  I believe there are some vaccinated folks who are old and/or immunocompromised who have ended up in the hospital.  It may only be 2% of the COVID patient hospitalizations, but I don't think 100% of the vaccinated population has avoided a stay at the hospital.
In CO it's north of 90% unvaxxed in hospitals.

412 cases today (plus weekend) for Travis County. I don't like seeing the 70 to 79 & 80+ groups outpacing their pandemic to date share as that does not bode well for deaths.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 9/13 vs 9/10 3 47 72 86 72 44 43 19 15 11 412
% of Daily Change 0.73% 11.41% 17.48% 20.87% 17.48% 10.68% 10.44% 4.61% 3.64% 2.67%  
% of Total Cases 0.74% 5.29% 11.16% 25.45% 20.78% 14.67% 10.72% 6.31% 2.99% 1.87%  
  • Hook 'Em 1