COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

8 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The majority of schools got started less than 10 days ago. We havent peaked imo

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I think the macro population may have crested.  But for those unvacc'd because they are under 12...we may have weeks more to go and miles to go, before we sleep.

With Missouri, Arkansas, LA and most likely Florida having peaked, I don't think its a stretch to say the South may have peaked with new cases. But I think its a stupid point. If you live in Atlanta, you shouldn't be high fiving each other because the South has peaked. The wave hasn't reached Atlanta yet so their worst is yet to come.

That's really interesting.  Thanks for doing that, pos rep.  I think adults, parcticularly those vaccinated may be peaking or even headed back down as of now (Labor Day shennanigans and start of college football games live, notwithstanding).  I'm just not seeing it in schools yet, it's headed the wrong way.  But I'll wait for the scientific dashboards and the esteemed panel of Surly amateur epidemiologists/gynecologists to weigh in.  

Also, that Allen football coach is gonna have the most awkward fucking halftime tribute in Texas history.  And that's saying something. 

"Fans, please direct your attention to midfield for the hyline halftime show, a tribute to Coach Shilam, an interpretive dance entitled 'Bert Mer Freederms' set to the medley works of Mr. John Phillip Sousa.  Thank you."  

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

They don't pay the ponies at the turn.  

But they do give them a complimentary tube of deworming paste.  

Also---serious question...if a horse has a bad case of worms, why don't they just shoot them?  

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

This weirdness about "it was a personal decision to not get vaccinated" just makes me shake my head. Okay, I guess it's so great that he stuck to whatever odd principles he had which eventually ended up causing his death? 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

It was a personal decision to [insert as applicable: drive a car without a seatbelt, ride a bike without a helmet, eat McDonald's seven days a week, swim in shark infested waters, drink bleach, etc.].  Hard to be sad over people making personal decisions that increase their chances of early death.

This.  It was a "personal decision" to kill yourself.  That's stupid enough.  Brisketexan's family: "It was Brisket's personal decision to douse himself with gasoline, touch a lit match to his balls, and die in a painful inferno while singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.  Please respect his personal decision."

But no, it's fucking worse.  Brisketexan's family: "It was Brisket's personal decision to douse himself with gasoline while in a crowded room, touch a lit match to his balls, and die in a painful inferno that spread to other people, burning several of them severely, while singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.  Please respect his personal decision."  I would hope that the response to that would be "fuck Brisket, and fuck his stupid family, his 'personal decision' killed himself and hurt other people."

These people are sociopath assholes.  It's not any more complicated than that.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  It was a "personal decision" to kill yourself.  That's stupid enough.  Brisketexan's family: "It was Brisket's personal decision to douse himself with gasoline, touch a lit match to his balls, and die in a painful inferno while singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.  Please respect his personal decision."

But no, it's fucking worse.  Brisketexan's family: "It was Brisket's personal decision to douse himself with gasoline while in a crowded room, touch a lit match to his balls, and die in a painful inferno that spread to other people, burning several of them severely, while singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.  Please respect his personal decision."  I would hope that the response to that would be "fuck Brisket, and fuck his stupid family, his 'personal decision' killed himself and hurt other people."

These people are sociopath assholes.  It's not any more complicated than that.

still tho, you might get a sweet rage against the machine album cover out of it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Muy Frio said:

Off by two weeks. Not bad. Better than the October predictions thrown around here 

Or this could be a shoulder from summer travel/fun winding down, and there’s more to come from school starting back up all across the country. 
even with that you’d hope the peak would be early to mid September though. 

This weirdness about "it was a personal decision to not get vaccinated" just makes me shake my head. Okay, I guess it's so great that he stuck to whatever odd principles he had which eventually ended up causing his death? 

People will criticize this dude for refusing to take a vaccine that could have prevented his untimely death. But in his defense, he made that stupid, deadly decision all on his own.

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

For those taking notes, touching a lit match to your balls, sans gasoline, can be painful but you can usually fully heal up within two months with the proper ointments and care.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

It was a personal decision to [insert as applicable: drive a car without a seatbelt, ride a bike without a helmet, eat McDonald's seven days a week, swim in shark infested waters, drink bleach, etc.].  Hard to be sad over people making personal decisions that increase their chances of early death.

As a strongly leaning libertarian who believes that the government shouldn't be able to mandate any of that stuff I agree completely (about the hard to be sad part). As a rational human being I would wear a seatbelt regardless of mandates, I would bike with a helmet, I'm currently on day 24 of not eating in a restaurant or fast food place trying to get healthy- and I had a conversation once upon a time with my then 4 year old about why we don't want to drink bleach so we can get to heaven sooner (his earnest question).  I feel some sense of sadness anytime someone makes a stupid decision but the further away from my immediate circle that decision maker gets the less I care about it.  

I don't think anyone is feeling sad right now btw for the unvaxxed deaths (unless they hit really close to home) but rather mad, rather they are mad.  I've got it filed in my "nothing you can do about it, so no sense worrying or obsessing about it" in my day to day life but YMMV.   

Edited by Wulaw Horn

43 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Perhaps countries with the ability to widely distribute medicine also have better infrastructure which would result in better outcomes?  While that looks promising, and I would love for it to work, this just jumps to way too many assumptions.

Japan has about a 40% vaccination rate. Not so sure they are all that great at distributing medicine. 

52 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

For those taking notes, touching a lit match to your balls, sans gasoline, can be painful but you can usually fully heal up within two months with the proper ointments and care.

He’s Latino, so the fire spread rapidly all over via the pathway of thick, coarse body hair. 

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

That's really interesting.  Thanks for doing that, pos rep.  I think adults, parcticularly those vaccinated may be peaking or even headed back down as of now (Labor Day shennanigans and start of college football games live, notwithstanding).  I'm just not seeing it in schools yet, it's headed the wrong way.  But I'll wait for the scientific dashboards and the esteemed panel of Surly amateur epidemiologists/gynecologists to weigh in.  

Also, that Allen football coach is gonna have the most awkward fucking halftime tribute in Texas history.  And that's saying something. 

"Fans, please direct your attention to midfield for the hyline halftime show, a tribute to Coach Shilam, an interpretive dance entitled 'Bert Mer Freederms' set to the medley works of Mr. John Phillip Sousa.  Thank you."  

From what I can tell from the stories, the Allen football coach never had a chance to interact much with the other coaches or players as he was brand new to the school and he's been ill all month. It's one of those awkward moments when everyone is giving tribute to someone they never met.

Wow. Just found out my friend in Fburg with the pharmacist dad got it. She still has 3 more days of quarantine to go. It was real bad for about 5 days but is feeling better. I dont think she knows yet if she'll deal with any lingering affects. 

I heard this pastor dude on NPR yesterday who got Covid. He wasn't anti-vax and he encouraged his older congregants to get vaxxed, but he felt that he was strong and healthy and fit so he would be fine without the vax. He ended up having to go to a Dallas hospital and he is singing a different tune now that he fucked around and found out. I think that was the attitude of my Fburg friend and I don't know yet if she feels differently. 

10 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Anyone know how many fully vaxxed people in the US have died in the last 7 months?

According to the CDC website, as of August 16 there had been 1,829 vaccinated deaths in the US.  Of those, 371 were asymptomatic or non-COVID related.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Japan has about a 40% vaccination rate. Not so sure they are all that great at distributing medicine. 

i don't believe that's the point that jesussweatduck was making.

i think he was more taking issue with how mr. ozaki was reaching his conclusions on the effectiveness of ivermectin by simply comparing african countries deaths per 100,000 in countries where ivermectin is distributed once a year to fight parasitic infection (and as he notes, not for purposes of fighting covid) versus countries that don't, he is probably committing a serious error of interpreting statistics that is learned in junior high...correlation vs. causation.  he is not controlling for the other variables at play...such as the fact that countries that have the infrastructure and resources to distribute anti-parasitic drugs to its population likely having other contributing factors to their superior death rates relative to countries that don't as an example.

i suspect that is the point he was making.  doesn't have anything to do with japan if you actually watch the video.

anyone who watches that video and doesn't simply roll their eyes, is either extremely dumb or otherwise motivated...such as a muy frio or a dcar00.

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

According to the CDC website, as of August 16 there had been 1,829 vaccinated deaths in the US.  Of those, 371 were asymptomatic or non-COVID related.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

Ok cool. So based on my napkin math, roughly 0.6% of the deaths from covid since the end of January have been vaxxed

the other 99.4% of deaths since jan were unvaxxed

12 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Ok cool. So based on my napkin math, roughly 0.6% of the deaths from covid since the end of January have been vaxxed

the other 99.4% of deaths since jan were unvaxxed

Yes, but that’s worse than the 99.0% mortality  rate we saw for deaths before vaccines.  So the shots are actually hurting our survival rates, not helping.  It was clearly laid out by Briscoe.  

Edited by Lobo

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yes, but that’s worse than the 99.0% mortality  rate we saw for deaths before vaccines.  So the shots are actually hurting our survival rates, not helping.  It was clearly laid out by Briscoe.  

If you are unvaxxed and catch covid, you have a 1.65% chance of dying

if you are vaxxed and catch covid, you have a 0.00012% chance of dying

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

If you are unvaxxed and catch covid, you have a 1.65% chance of dying

if you are vaxxed and catch covid, you have a 0.00012% chance of dying

So If you multiply that out by vaxxed and non vaxxed, the ratios suggest you have a better chance without the shot.  I’m just using your skewed maths, dude!

And I promise you this America not a single person in my administration will rest for a single moment until we’ve completely eradicated COVID-19.  Now Let’s go play some golf

Crossposting.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin-family-says-toddler-was-turned-away-from-hospital-due-to-lack-of-space-in-pediatric-icu/

After a brief scare in a local pediatric intensive care unit, an Austin couple is sharing their message: get vaccinated and wear a mask.

Kevin Karaffa, whose 22-month-old daughter was recently diagnosed with the viral respiratory infection, claims he was turned away from an Austin-area hospital because there was no space. Luckily, he says his family received one of the last beds in the Dell Children’s PICU.

Three hours later, Karaffa says a 10-month-old took the final PICU bed next door. He says a Dell Children’s nurse informed them that there were no more available PICU beds in the area.

“My daughter responded well to treatment, so they sent us to the recovery floor this morning since Dell Children’s needed the ICU bed so badly,” Karaffa said. “This is scary and I think Austinites ought to know that, just like Dallas’ Judge Jenkins said: if your child needs critical care, [they] will have to wait for another child to get better or die before a PICU bed will be available in Travis County.”

Other healthcare and urgent care providers are also under high strain. A glimpse online shows that the Texas MedClinic in Round Rock is currently experiencing walk-in wait times of more than five hours.

• Rage+1 1

635 cases in Travis County today (down ~200 from this day last week) so continuing this weeks overall trend of being lower in cases than last.

Cases still skewing younger overall. 653 people hospitalized (all time record).

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/25 vs 8/24 6 43 99 153 133 84 63 40 8 6 635
% of Daily Change 0.94% 6.77% 15.59% 24.09% 20.94% 13.23% 9.92% 6.30% 1.26% 0.94%  
% of Total Cases 0.70% 4.75% 10.86% 25.89% 20.88% 14.76% 10.85% 6.36% 3.03% 1.91%