COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

3 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

You and my friend in Fburg, who is the daughter of a pharmacist need to grow a pair, imo. It is unfathomable to me that the potential horrid reactions don't out weigh the benefit of not dying or hospitalization due to severe illness. I hope the best for you and my friend. That idiot wasn't masking up as of early July but maybe her behavior has changed since then. Mother of 2 young kids...fucking maddening when I think about her. Sincerely, be safe.

You and my friend in Fburg, who is the daughter of a pharmacist need to grow a pair, imo. It is unfathomable to me that the potential horrid reactions don't out weigh the benefit of not dying or hospitalization due to severe illness. I hope the best for you and my friend. That idiot was masking up as of early July but maybe her behavior has changed since then. Mother of 2 young kids...fucking maddening when I think about her. Sincerely, be safe.

Not really our business when it’s medical hesitancy. Thats a discussion between the physician and patient and no need to antagonize with name calling.

Nevertheless, if it were me, I’d gather as much info about how and vaccines affect me. What active ingredient is it? Allergic reaction of immune system reaction?

If its autoimmune or something, then I’d get the vaccine. Delta is a game changer as are the future variants. If it’s just fever, then that’s something that usually can be managed better than COVID.

Regarding physician discussion, they may not cede responsibility from a vulnerable patient by saying they should do one thing or another. They should give you information and scenarios. So if you come in stares stiff about the shot, your doctor may sense that. Have a real discussion.

Moreover, psychosomatic reactions to shots are real as well. If you go into the process of “aint no thang” its less likely to be a thing.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

This seems like a good of a thread as any.  Does anyone know the current OVID testing policies for football (Texas, Big 12, SEC, NFL, etc.).  It seems like the college leagues have universally agreed that if you can't play a game due to COVID that you forfeit, but how is this determination going to be made?  For example, at the beginning of camp Sark indicated that 90% of the team was vaxed.  Does that mean only the 10% are regularly tested?  Which of course begs the question what then happens with a positive?  Remember the issue with the NC State baseball team was that the entire team was tested once they had some cases and numerous asymptomatic fully vaccinated individuals were disqualified.  Given how ridiculously contagious Delta is and all the evidence it will spread within the vaxed population, it seems like unless they have significantly limited or adjusted testing policies in light of Delta, football season is being set up for a lot of issues.

We still receive a newspaper and this was per an article via the AP wire:

Health and safety protocols are still not uniform across all of major college football....[snip]...only unvaccinated players and team personnel will be subject to routine surveillance testing. Only unvaccinated individuals will be automatically quarantined if they come into contact with someone infected with the virus....[snip]...Oregon and Oregon State became the first Power Five schools to announce fans will need to show proof of either vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test to attend their games.

I clipped out some of the extraneous stuff, but since it was in our paper, you can likely search for Associated Press and their news website will have the entire article.

Doesn't completely address your questions, but it does appear that vaccinated players/staff will be given fewer restrictions.

I would hope that folks who aren't taking the vaccine for legitimate medical reasons understand that a huge reason for the vaccine push out there is to protect people like them.  Most people aren't trying to virtue signal, we're screaming for folks to get the shots so that people like Assman can get back to normal living and not worrying about getting the virus as much.  I've got some relatives in the same boat---health issues that inhibit them from getting the vaccine.  We got vaccinated, in part, to help them.

The real reason I get frustrated with people who are "choosing" not to get vaccinated for "reasons", is because it puts my two young children at greater and greater risk, particularly now that school/activities have begun again.  They are back to living life as usual, unmasked and unfettered.  And they are passing it to their children at our two schools and some of the kids are actually getting sick.  My two daughters are not close to eligibility and one has a few issues that would not jive well with Covid.  They cannot protect themselves from all the selfish, stupid people around them...and so I have to hope and pray that some of the stupid, selfish people in our community that can be vaccinated but have chosen not to be, will see the light and change their minds.  If a direct side benefit of that is folks like Assman and my uncle and others are put at far, far less risk...then all the better.  

This isn't like going vegan or doing cross-fit, we're not preaching vaccines to make ourselves feel better or virtue signal.  We're doing it because we have tens and tens of millions of people who can't get the shot yet for serious reasons and/or age.  We can't protect them until we get the stupid, selfish people out of the way.  If it weren't for both my girls being under 12 years of age, I wouldn't really give a shit if I'm honest...about other people getting the vaccine.  Delta flare will continue for several weeks.  If you're eligible but refuse the shots at the end of seeing all this unnecessary death and disruption, then you deserve what's coming for you and I'm gonna cheer for the virus.  

4 hours ago, Skipper said:

This seems like a good of a thread as any.  Does anyone know the current OVID testing policies for football (Texas, Big 12, SEC, NFL, etc.).  It seems like the college leagues have universally agreed that if you can't play a game due to COVID that you forfeit, but how is this determination going to be made?  For example, at the beginning of camp Sark indicated that 90% of the team was vaxed.  Does that mean only the 10% are regularly tested?  Which of course begs the question what then happens with a positive?  Remember the issue with the NC State baseball team was that the entire team was tested once they had some cases and numerous asymptomatic fully vaccinated individuals were disqualified.  Given how ridiculously contagious Delta is and all the evidence it will spread within the vaxed population, it seems like unless they have significantly limited or adjusted testing policies in light of Delta, football season is being set up for a lot of issues.

High schools in Texas will have to forfeit if they don't have enough players, and they are testing, from what I understand.  A few high schools in AISD have already had positives on football teams, from what parents have been bitching about.

I would assume they are even more strict at college/NFL levels, given the revenue involved.

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

I would assume they are even more strict at college/NFL levels, given the revenue involved.

Given the high vaccination rates presumably resulting in asymptomatic or very mild breakthrough infections for young athletes, it seems like they are doing very little testing based on a couple of articles I found.  Which frankly makes a ton of sense from a revenue perspective.  Don't test don't tell.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

Respectfully, we've been hearing a variety of "other issues" in DT during COVID - ranging from "only city folk will get it, rurals are fine" to "ackshually its FAT people that are the problem!" to "facemasks ackshually SUFFOCATE CHILDREN(!!!)" to "why worry about reopening schools? Kids can't get sick from COVID!". And most typically - the people who want to talk about other issues will move the focus completely away from the largest contributor to our shared hell.

It's been nothing but distracting from the biggest issues in favor of smaller shit that doesn't move the needle on the macro scale - which means our hospitals fill the fuck up with dumbasses who are still spouting their antivaxxer nonsense on FB and telegram in their fucking deathbed in the ICU.

I'm just tired of being 18 months into this shitshow and we're still not focusing on addressing the biggest problems. And we're in the midst of the WOSRT spike in covid in our state. 18 months in. 

We're all tired of it.  And there has no doubt been some uninformed posts in DT and in CR.  There is nuance to those positions if you care to discuss.  Density which implicates proximity was proven to be accurate.  Obesity is directly correlated to severe outcomes.  As someone with kids who has had them in masks since last year, masking for them is largely performative.  They don't wear them properly, they don't wear the proper kind, and they fall off constantly.  

But you're correct, get vaccinated and the hospitals will be fine and you won't die.  Pretty simple message that has been buttfucked from here to Wuhan.

Fingers crossed, but based on date of collection, Dallas County looks to have peaked?

https://www.dallascounty.org/Assets/uploads/docs/hhs/2019-nCoV/2021-COVID-19-Summaries/CV19-Summaries-08/DCHHS COVID-19 Summary 08 20 2021.pdf

• Hook 'Em 2

Nuance to the density discussion has continued to evade a good portion of the nation for the last 18 months.  Hospital groups in mid to large cities are being overrun because so many rural/exurb hospitals are at capacity so are shipping their cases to these larger hospital groups which skews their numbers.  If you pump the head of Ascension-Seton full of drinks, he'll tell you some fucking stories about the elaborate ruse taking place right now for certain political leaders to save face (and this guy is a very powerful former Republican operator).  

This disease never cared about how many people per square mile were in your community.  It cared about how many people per square foot were in your daily routine.  

Welp. Things still super shitty in Travis County with now 638 people hospitalized.. Good news is we are down a couple of hundred cases from last Monday so hopefully that trend will continue. Wear masks, get vaccinated, stay safe assholes.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/23 vs 8/20 9 67 108 166 136 101 65 38 10 8 708
% of Daily Change 1.27% 9.46% 15.25% 23.45% 19.21% 14.27% 9.18% 5.37% 1.41% 1.13%  
% of Total Cases 0.69% 4.71% 10.80% 25.95% 20.88% 14.77% 10.87% 6.36% 3.04% 1.92%  
Edited by BrazilHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

But you're correct, get vaccinated and the hospitals will be fine and you won't die.  Pretty simple message that has been buttfucked from here to Wuhan.

Fingers crossed, but based on date of collection, Dallas County looks to have peaked?

https://www.dallascounty.org/Assets/uploads/docs/hhs/2019-nCoV/2021-COVID-19-Summaries/CV19-Summaries-08/DCHHS COVID-19 Summary 08 20 2021.pdf

6 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Welp. Things still super shitty in Travis County with now 638 people hospitalized (19 more than prior record). Good news is we are down a couple of hundred cases from last Monday so hopefully that trend will continue. Wear masks, get vaccinated, stay safe assholes.

The hope (and the person who said this to me was very careful to call it a "hope") is that last week was the peak in Texas' major cities, with two wildcards:
1) School openings will likely move us towards a second peak in a month or so, mostly involving kids and young parents
2) The pediatric hospitals could be disproportionately impacted and tested to a degree unseen before.  

There is also concern that as the vaxxed portion of the population is rising we will see more "breakthrough" cases because that's just how epidemics work, and between that and #1, this will consequently undermine not only booster efforts but also increase resistance to measles and flu vaccines. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Bozo_Casanova said:

The hope (and the person who said this to me was very careful to call it a "hope") is that last week was the peak in Texas' major cities, with two wildcards:
1) School openings will likely move us towards a second peak in a month or so, mostly involving kids and young parents
2) The pediatric hospitals could be disproportionately impacted and tested to a degree unseen before.  

There is also concern that as the vaxxed portion of the population is rising we will see more "breakthrough" cases because that's just how epidemics work, and between that and #1, this will consequently undermine not only booster efforts but also increase resistance to measles and flu vaccines. 

fingers crossed.  That link I posted above also shows RSV positive percentages and gross numbers decreasing so hopefully that will continue.

• Hook 'Em 1

You take away the "only dense urban/blue areas are getting slammed by Delta" argument, and a lot of people have nothing left to cling to, so here we are---18 months later explaining to people how communal spread works.  I get the "My Freedom" stance.  Don't agree, but I saw it coming and we can sort of wrap our heads around how other people might think that way.  But you show somebody that highest case/100k numbers are in states like Wyoming and Alabama, not exactly urban liberal hotbeds...and they just don't understand how that's possible.  

How about people who are educated, non-MAGA wearing nutjobs, white, but have had severe adverse reactions to previous immunizations?  Does that fit into any of your stereotypes?  Because that's me. 
I love the double standard of it not being socially acceptable to stereotype due to race, religion, sexual preference, etc., but we can all rally around the fact that everyone without the vaccine is either poor or ultra-conservative.

When I talk about the unvaccinated, I am not including people who have been advised by a doctor not to get it or who cannot get it due to medical reasons (you would be in one of those camps) or even those that are ineligible to get it. No, the fucksticks I hate are those that don't have a legitimate reason not to and choose not to due to stupidity.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Do we think the peak/crest will be affected/blunted by school opening?  Both Harris and Dallas seem to have nicely dropping R numbers on covidestim.org, but I’m thinking school starting today will turn them back the wrong way.   

I think we will see a spike due to schools being open as more and more children get exposed. I think we should be prepared for a run of cases over the next couple of months as it works its way through the schools as without temp checks and with no meaningful contract tracing processes you are basically playing the "herd immunity" game with school age children. They will in turn pass to parents, grandparents etc etc

We are already seeing the <10 year old cohorts run at a higher clip than their pandemic to date average, I don't see this stopping anytime soon.

54 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I get the "my freedom" angle, too. I also own 6 guns, drink beer in a lawn chair in my garage and am currently in the market for a new pickup. I'm just not a fucking moron. 

It's okay to be a moron.  It's okay to be an asshole.  But the one combo we really did not need in this country over the last couple of years was moronic assholes.  And holy fucking shit, do we have a deep bench of those guys.  I mean, you inspire 'em a little bit and, they come out of the woodwork, get uniforms and logos, elect leaders, get a clubhouse, come up with vocab terms, hold rallies, 'n shit.  For being the quadrant that people least identified with, it's actually robustly populated.  

Of all the "Muh Freedoms!" shit to latch onto though, the anti-vaxx thing will always be strange to me.  Most of their leaders got it, and got it early.  But when I think of "American Freedom", I picture cool shit like starting a business, suing the government, writing a controversial work, worshipping freely, driving across multiple state lines (no papers, Montana), developing land, etc.  Avoiding a vaccine and inadvertently killing my neighbors just doesn't seem like that cool of a freedom display.  

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I get the "my freedom" angle, too. I also own 6 guns, drink beer in a lawn chair in my garage and am currently in the market for a new pickup. I'm just not a fucking moron. 

Meh.  A whole lot of folks all over the world completely misunderstand freedom.  Your freedom to do what you want stops when it negatively impacts someone else.  

In a public health crisis, sometimes, you gotta do things you don't want to do for the greater good.  It is your obligation as a citizen of this planet.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I get the "my freedom" angle, too. I also owned 6 guns, drink beer in a lawn chair in my garage and am currently in the market for a new pickup. I'm just not a fucking moron. 

Owned.  You owned 6 guns.  I can remember that time back on TOS like it was yesterday, when hundreds of us gathered out in our boats over the deepest party of Lake Travis.  I can't remember why we were over the deepest part of the lake, and I can't remember whey we all brought all of the guns we down, but there we were drinking and shit-talking when some asshole in a party barge lost control and barreled through and caused all of us to drop every single gun overboard.  What a tragedy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This thread moves pretty fast, so if this was covered a few pages back already, apologies in advance.

But what happens to the folks that got the Johnson & Johnson vaccination? Is the thought that their original single dose still provides sufficient immunity/protection, and that they do not have to get boosters? I've only seen boosters discussed w/r/t Pfizer and Moderna. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If population density was actually a driver of spread, Wyoming wouldn’t have one of the highest case/100k numbers.  It does, because it has one of the lowest statewide vaccination % along with low mask use. (Not coincidentally it has the lowest seat belt use in the country too)

serious question...how is that possible, with alarms in every car? just turn the radio up really loud? tune it out? or...do they literally go to the trouble to disconnect it (remove fuse, whatever)?🤔

my car's seatbelt alarm be like...

Im Not Going To Be Ignored Dan GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Report from Day 1 for my kids at high school:

1.  Virtually 100% masked up and teachers/hall people were riding the kids pretty hard about it. 
2. Hallways so congested you could hardly walk between bells. Said they had never been in a crowd that packed together. 
3. Teachers in class taking it seriously.

So pretty good except I fear point 2 overrides everything else.  

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Owned.  You owned 6 guns.  I can remember that time back on TOS like it was yesterday, when hundreds of us gathered out in our boats over the deepest party of Lake Travis.  I can't remember why we were over the deepest part of the lake, and I can't remember whey we all brought all of the guns we down, but there we were drinking and shit-talking when some asshole in a party barge lost control and barreled through and caused all of us to drop every single gun overboard.  What a tragedy.

True. Suppressors and higher capacity magazines went under, too. Tough day, but I’ve given the whole thing up. Lesson learned!

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

53 minutes ago, mchookem said:

serious question...how is that possible, with alarms in every car? just turn the radio up really loud? tune it out? or...do they literally go to the trouble to disconnect it (remove fuse, whatever)?🤔

wouldn't ya know it - there's a punisher themed product for just that!

https://www.amazon.com/WOSITE-2Pack-Cut-Out-American-Silencers/dp/B097RBWVCD/

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

This thread moves pretty fast, so if this was covered a few pages back already, apologies in advance.

But what happens to the folks that got the Johnson & Johnson vaccination? Is the thought that their original single dose still provides sufficient immunity/protection, and that they do not have to get boosters? I've only seen boosters discussed w/r/t Pfizer and Moderna. 

Angry Go Away GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

serious question...how is that possible, with alarms in every car? just turn the radio up really loud? tune it out? or...do they literally go to the trouble to disconnect it (remove fuse, whatever)?
giphy.gif

The redneck method. You just take a seat belt clip from a junk car and leave it inserted in the receiver. FREEDOM!!!giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The redneck method. You just take a seat belt clip from a junk car and leave it inserted in the receiver. FREEDOM!!!giphy.gif

Obviously, the government plays a huge role in the annoyance of seatbelts. I have an old AMG sports car that barely makes a noise and then stops after the initial beeps. My 2011 SUV beeps but it isn't very annoying. My new sedan is annoying as shit. Obviously, that wasn't a feature that customers requested.

Xposted

From a lawyer buddy who’s wife is a kinder teacher for HISD:

Three kids tested positive today at school.

They are not allowed to tell the other parents of the kids in the class.

They aren’t allowed to say why grade the cases were in.

The kids are allowed to return to class tomorrow if they are fever free. 

The kids are not required to wear masks.

41 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Xposted

They are required to wear masks in HISD.

https://abc13.com/houston-isd-mask-mandate-hisd-virtual-academy-covid-dashboard-millard-house/10969071/

43 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Xposted

Sounds a lot like the deception, obfuscation, and misdirection techniques I'd expect out of a place like China.  Oh, the irony. 

Edited by Lobo

3 hours ago, mchookem said:

All of the ones are disabled in every pickup we own. Our subdivision is all private roads, Rangers, Mules, golf carts, you can drive anything. Just read your owner's manual, it will tell you how to disable it. Click, unclick, click, unclick with the key in a certain position etc.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

So got the email tonight, our kids are being sent home until the 30th. Then got an email seconds later that our middle was exposed with a “study partner” (1st grade?) in close contact.  We had third highest cases in Fort Bend, with highest case load of elementary schools.   So that sucks. 

I'm guessing no virtual option for them either?

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

All of the ones are disabled in every pickup we own. Our subdivision is all private roads, Rangers, Mules, golf carts, you can drive anything. Just read your owner's manual, it will tell you how to disable it. Click, unclick, click, unclick with the key in a certain position etc.

CHIEF

I bet none of your mattresses have tags on them either. muhfreedoms!

• Haha 1