COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

15 hours ago, Newdoc said:

The general public does not have the capacity to remain hyper vigilant or be inconvenienced for too long.

18 months later and I’m still trying to figure out how wearing a mask is such a huge inconvenience for so many people.  I wasn’t thrilled about it in the beginning but after about two days I got over it and came to embrace it as a sign of my intellectual superiority over the common folk that refused to mask up.

14 hours ago, dcar00 said:

thats it.  I was only referencing their data that showed 12 to 24% of vaxed hospitalized in the 7 states.

As a Mass resident (one of the 7 states), I feel this article lacks critical data and borders on making the base rate fallacy. The Boston Globe did a similar piece yesterday (that was much worse).

A key point that these articles lack (or I missed it) is the rate of infection of both the vaccinated and unvaccinated. In Mass for example, it’s 6 per 100,000 for vaccinated and 16 per 100k for unvaccinated. This is among a population that is around 63% vaccinated. Even though breakthroughs are happening and increasing, you are still 2.7 times higher to get COVID unvaccinated than vaccinated.

NPR did a short piece on this yesterday in relation to Iceland:

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/20/1029582399/planet-money-investigates-the-base-rate-fallacy-as-it-pertains-to-the-pandemic

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Lubbock's numbers are 180 hospitalized, only 12 vaxxed.  So, 6.6% vaccinated, 93.4% unvaccinated - which matches up with their very low vaccination rate.

And yep, when your population is highly vaxxed, then the percentage of the hospitalized population that is vaxxed will be higher......but the total NUMBER of hospitalized (and thus, the percentage of the total population that is hospitalized), will be LOWER.

Antivaxxers are very, very, very bad at math.  It is their foundational characteristic.

This. We aren’t that bad up here. Someone put charts up in cases per 100k, we’re in the bottom 10 (19 per).  Our hospitals aren’t in bad shape. And deaths are relatively low. We got hit bad early on, but since then, we’ve gotten a lot better. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Deej said:

Me, with the hand sanitizer at work this week...

download (14).jpeg

Yesterday I was out weed whacking around my gate and trimming branches back on the road at my place in Hays Co. When I left, my neighbor was at his gate so I pulled over to say hi.  I had just doused my hands with sanitizer after throwing cedar branches and locking my rustyass chain, I imagine the inside of my truck smelled like a bottle of everclear.  I wondered why he flinched when I rolled my window down.  Probably thought I was moon shining.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Remember those nature shows where a Wildebeest calf gets eaten by hyenas and momma is upset but the rest of the herd looks at the commotion and goes back to grazing? That’s where we are at right now.

The general public does not have the capacity to remain hyper vigilant or be inconvenienced for too long. A majority of our society has never had to mentally endure something of this scale and has never been trained to work through hardships. And our leadership, except for some at the local levels has no capacity or abilities  to lead us through this and is counter productive by utilizing this crisis for personal gain in many cases. 

Couple that with almost complete dysfunction of critical thinking skills exacerbated by asshats on social media, then ta-dah! No F’s given.

Really really really well said. 

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

My sister's boyfriend brother is on a ventilator in Denton. He caught it in Denton County Jail. Not supposed to make it 

Not a sentence you see very often around here, and dark humor aside, hope he improves.

Saw this last month

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/inhumane-living-conditions-make-denton-county-jail-coronavirus-super-spreader-activist-says-11928942

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Damn , just got off the phone with my mom. My sister's boyfriend brother is on a ventilator in Denton. He caught it in Denton County Jail. Not supposed to make it 

Sounds like he might have caught it at 31 flavors, check again.

51 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

so abbott tested negative 4 days after testing positive.  is that even possible?

I got COVID 2 months ago and tested negative within 2.5 days.  If you’re vaccinated your immune system is ready to rumble.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Hook 'Em 3

We were celebrating birthdays as a family (we have 4 of the 13 of us born within 6 days of each other in August. Sprung dad from the nursing home. Had a great day. As my brother and my SIL were waking out the door she got the call that someone in their church group and died of the Rona. 
My wife’s best friend is a Labor and Delivery nurse. She said that in 13 years working at the hospital she’s only lost 3 patients. They’ve lost 3 in the last month she said. 
my buddy from law school just told us his wife got released after a week in the hospital. 
I am not connected to any deaths or serious injuries before all this. I found out all of this in the last 72 hours. 
I know delta was more contagious but my understanding was less harmful than the original. It doesn’t seem to be going after the olds as exclusively as the first go round from what I see anecdotally. 
hope everyone out there stays safe. The numbers are better for all of us vaxxed even with a more contagious Delta but I suppose anyone could get their ticket punched at any time. 
Don’t understand anyone that doesn’t stack the deck in their favor with a shot. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We were celebrating birthdays as a family (we have 4 of the 13 of us born within 6 days of each other in August. Sprung dad from the nursing home. Had a great day. As my brother and my SIL were waking out the door she got the call that someone in their church group and died of the Rona. 
My wife’s best friend is a Labor and Delivery nurse. She said that in 13 years working at the hospital she’s only lost 3 patients. They’ve lost 3 in the last month she said. 
my buddy from law school just told us his wife got released after a week in the hospital. 
I am not connected to any deaths or serious injuries before all this. I found out all of this in the last 72 hours. 
I know delta was more contagious but my understanding was less harmful than the original. It doesn’t seem to be going after the olds as exclusively as the first go round from what I see anecdotally. 
hope everyone out there stays safe. The numbers are better for all of us vaxxed even with a more contagious Delta but I suppose anyone could get their ticket punched at any time. 
Don’t understand anyone that doesn’t stack the deck in their favor with a shot. 

I don’t know that there is any evidence of Delta being less harmful or deadly. I think that was more the theory that as the virus evolved it would be less deadly because that’s what a virus tends to do.

I’m still amazed by all of this. I know a very large cross section of people and everyone I know is vaxxed and pro vaccine. I’m still trying to figure out who is refusing to do it. It appears to me at least that it’s the uneducated and unfortunately there is no quick or easy fix for that other than cutting out their access to Walmart.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I don’t know that there is any evidence of Delta being less harmful or deadly. I think that was more the theory that as the virus evolved it would be less deadly because that’s what a virus tends to do.

I’m still amazed by all of this. I know a very large cross section of people and everyone I know is vaxxed and pro vaccine. I’m still trying to figure out who is refusing to do it. It appears to me at least that it’s the uneducated and unfortunately there is no quick or easy fix for that other than cutting out their access to Walmart.

Ultra-religious, rednecks, and a few minorities whose family has a negative experience with vaccines.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Ultra-religious, rednecks, and a few minorities whose family has a negative experience with vaccines.

Yes, but that still doesn’t get you to 30% of adults  or whatever it is now that is not vaccinated. Hell, maybe it does. If you just go by age I’m pretty sure the young people are just trying to kill us all off.

There is an enormous gap in vaccination rates  -roughly 20% -  between age 20-40 - and then age 40 plus.

im going to put the links in the CR thread because I don’t want to mess this thread up.

Back on track, this wasn’t one of their more thorough updates but https://www.cctexas.com/sites/default/files/20210818-Public-Health-Briefing.pdf 
And I do like this conclusion : SUMMARY
• New cases skyrocketing
• Hospitalizations skyrocketing
• Recommendations to avoid public health disaster
• Change behavior A.S.A.P. • Mask up in public
• Social distance
• Self-isolate if symptomatic
• Get Vaccinated

4 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Minorities are the lowest groups of vaxxed. It’s more than a few. I believe it’s a majority unless a ton of progress has been made in the last month. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Minorities are the lowest groups of vaxxed. It’s more than a few. I believe it’s a majority unless a ton of progress has been made in the last month. 

Yes, it’s definitely more than a few. I read in The NY Times that only 28 percent of blacks in NYC between 18-44 are vaccinated. Compare that to 48 percent of Latinos and 52 percent of whites in the same age group. 

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

The anti-vax people I know are some mix of GED for high school, scared of needles, or skeptical of the government.

A few have shared with me some vaccine horror story they saw on Facebook.

Add into this group the alternative health people. I know a couple with two young kids who are hard core anti-vax and anti-mask because they use alternative preventative measures that they say "actually help" -- things like nebulizers, supplements, eliminating dairy and gluten, regular exercise, etc. They won't be convinced to take the vaccine themselves until one of their health-guru podcasts says it's okay.  It's maddening.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, Cap33 said:

Add into this group the alternative health people. I know a couple with two young kids who are hard core anti-vax and anti-mask because they use alternative preventative measures that they say "actually help" -- things like nebulizers, supplements, eliminating dairy and gluten, regular exercise, etc. They won't be convinced to take the vaccine themselves until one of their health-guru podcasts says it's okay.  It's maddening.

And I will add: both parents are highly educated, which fits one of the general anti-vax molds.

4 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Maybe white people. Also many minorities in the unvaxxed crowd that aren't MAGA.

Perhaps in terms of percentage of the overall demo, but the thing about minorities is that there's fewer of them. So even if their per-capita rate is comparable, it's still the jewish space lasers people making up the majority of unvaxxed selfish asshats

There's two groups, the anti-vax and the for-some-reason-still-not-YET-vaxxed.

This is two month old polling from the CDC, but the split in those two groups were 20% each.  60% of Texans were already vaccinated at the time of the polling.

20% of the "not yet" group is a lot and that's who we need to focus our efforts on.  Calling them fucking morons probably won't work.  We're quick to assume that those who have not yet gotten the vaccine is "an Other" or our political enemy, but the reality is there are 20% who are just on their own timetable for some reason.  Many of those are our neighbors, teachers, parents and college kids.  

We need more free HEB Gift Cards, Astros tickets, & squish balls and fewer Passports and "Keys to the City"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, dcar00 said:

so abbott tested negative 4 days after testing positive.  is that even possible?

Sure. False positives are possible, if rare. My mom’s test went that way.

The math as I understand it is something like:

* A positive test is 99% accurate COVID is present  

* A negative test is that lower 75% test accuracy number you hear

That said, poor handing of COVID tests can result in them being contaminated in some way. So it might have COVID because it was tainted by another positive sample. 

And this completely ignores that he could have fought it off being vaxxed. 

Edited by Captain Ron

The “let’s focus on our natural immunity!” crowd is maddening. They post rants about how humans used to not live in such clean environments, and not get vaccinated, and we had MUCH stronger immune systems, and blah blah blah.

Yes, Karen….and also, our life expectancy was 40….because we got cholera, and polio, and smallpox, and sepsis, and we fucking DIED from those things. By cleaning shut up, and vaccinating, and developing antibiotics….we’ve doubled our life expectancy.

Drink clean water. Treat infections. Get vaccinated. And sure, ALSO drink wheatgrass smoothies and eat organic fruit every day - good nutrition is important. But the other stuff….that shit was the game-changer. No amount of psychotic echo chamber pretending can change that.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Perhaps in terms of percentage of the overall demo, but the thing about minorities is that there's fewer of them. So even if their per-capita rate is comparable, it's still the jewish space lasers people making up the loudest of unvaxxed selfish asshats

FIFY

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

The “let’s focus on our natural immunity!” crowd is maddening. They post rants about how humans used to not live in such clean environments, and not get vaccinated, and we had MUCH stronger immune systems, and blah blah blah.

Yes, Karen….and also, our life expectancy was 40….because we got cholera, and polio, and smallpox, and sepsis, and we fucking DIED from those things. By cleaning shut up, and vaccinating, and developing antibiotics….we’ve doubled our life expectancy.

Drink clean water. Treat infections. Get vaccinated. And sure, ALSO drink wheatgrass smoothies and eat organic fruit every day - good nutrition is important. But the other stuff….that shit was the game-changer. No amount of psychotic echo chamber pretending can change that.

Don’t forget about their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, that promoted shit like ‘raw’ water with high alkalines that killed people.  

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Have one of those relatives.

You can try and explain to her that there is a huge difference between her family living in shitty tract housing in a subdivision, where the only animals they are exposed to are the neighbor's dog, and a century ago when her ancestors were living on a farm where they were routinely exposed to quite a few animals who passed diseases back and forth with humans.

"I read Guns, Germs, and Steel for an anthropology class!"  "Yes, that's nice, but a book does not confer immunity upon you, and unless you are feeding your kids raw bats or your husband is fucking a pangolin, your immune systems are at the mercy of a lot of things."

3 hours ago, smoky said:

There's two groups, the anti-vax and the for-some-reason-still-not-YET-vaxxed.

This is two month old polling from the CDC, but the split in those two groups were 20% each.  60% of Texans were already vaccinated at the time of the polling.

20% of the "not yet" group is a lot and that's who we need to focus our efforts on.  Calling them fucking morons probably won't work.  We're quick to assume that those who have not yet gotten the vaccine is "an Other" or our political enemy, but the reality is there are 20% who are just on their own timetable for some reason.  Many of those are our neighbors, teachers, parents and college kids.  

We need more free HEB Gift Cards, Astros tickets, & squish balls and fewer Passports and "Keys to the City"

Agree that the people who are on their own time table for whatever reason are the lower hanging fruit and efforts should focus there first against the rabidly dug in "I've done some research and blah blah bullshit blah blah" crowd.  I also agree calling that first group fucking idiots is not a good strategy, but make no mistake about it....those people are fucking idiots.  

The invisible, could be anywhere at anytime given to you by anybody virus doesn't give a fuck and will shit all over your "timetable" you self centered fucking moron.  

How about people who are educated, non-MAGA wearing nutjobs, white, but have had severe adverse reactions to previous immunizations?  Does that fit into any of your stereotypes?  Because that's me. 

I love the double standard of it not being socially acceptable to stereotype due to race, religion, sexual preference, etc., but we can all rally around the fact that everyone without the vaccine is either poor or ultra-conservative.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Assman said:

How about people who are educated, non-MAGA wearing nutjobs, white, but have had severe adverse reactions to previous immunizations?  Does that fit into any of your stereotypes?  Because that's me. 

I love the double standard of it not being socially acceptable to stereotype due to race, religion, sexual preference, etc., but we can all rally around the fact that everyone the vast majority of people without the vaccine is either poor or ultra-conservative.

Does that work for you?  Sorry that you can’t take the vaccine, be safe.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The “let’s focus on our natural immunity!” crowd is maddening.

“Why isn’t the government encouraging exercise, vitamins, and a healthy lifestyle?” now ask the same assholes who for years got all pissed off about the Food Pyramid, Michelle Obama teaching kids to work out, and vegetables in school lunches.

• Like 3

So I have a pretty good friend that recently broke up with his longtime girlfriend. He didn’t mention why and I didn’t want to ask. So his girlfriend came into town this weekend and I bumped into her. She’d been drinking and was pretty talkative and eventually brought up why they broke up. Apparently he had been trying to convince her to get vaccinated for a few months and she kept refusing, so last month he decided he’d had enough and told her if she wouldn’t do it he was leaving her. She still refused, so he left her. She’s extremely upset about the whole deal. So I asked her why she wouldn’t take the shot. She said, and I quote “I just don’t want to”. That was her entire reason. At that point I threw my beer on her and walked off. Ok I didn’t do that but I wanted to. And no, y’all don’t want pics.

it’s really hard to comprehend the level of stupidity we are dealing with.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, justhookit said:

So I have a pretty good friend that recently broke up with his longtime girlfriend. He didn’t mention why and I didn’t want to ask. So his girlfriend came into town this weekend and I bumped into her. She’d been drinking and was pretty talkative and eventually brought up why they broke up. Apparently he had been trying to convince her to get vaccinated for a few months and she kept refusing, so last month he decided he’d had enough and told her if she wouldn’t do it he was leaving her. She still refused, so he left her. She’s extremely upset about the whole deal. So I asked her why she wouldn’t take the shot. She said, and I quote “I just don’t want to”. That was her entire reason. At that point I threw my beer on her and walked off. Ok I didn’t do that but I wanted to. And no, y’all don’t want pics.

Does she have a job?

3 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I don't want a shot daddy I want an Oompa Loompa NOW!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I love the double standard of it not being socially acceptable to stereotype due to race, religion, sexual preference, etc., but we can all rally around the fact that everyone without the vaccine is either poor or ultra-conservative.

I think everyone acknowledges that there is a small portion of the population who cannot be vaccinated or for who the vaccine isn’t going to be particularly effective because if various medical conditions. That’s one of the reasons it’s so internet everyone get vaccinated. Because there are people who can’t protect themselves and everyone’s individual choice has impacts beyond themselves.

I’d say expressed animosity toward
the voluntarily unvaccinated is because people in your boat exist, the “voluntarily” part is typically just implied rather than explicitly stated
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Assman said:

My mother had a pretty serious reaction to the covid vaccine.  I think she should get the second one anyway, but in a more controlled environment that can quickly handle it if she had a similar reaction.  Advice from her doctor is don’t get it, and that’s what she’s going with so I don’t hound her because it’s her doctor’s opinion she’s going with. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes, but that still doesn’t get you to 30% of adults  or whatever it is now that is not vaccinated. Hell, maybe it does. If you just go by age I’m pretty sure the young people are just trying to kill us all off.
There is an enormous gap in vaccination rates  -roughly 20% -  between age 20-40 - and then age 40 plus.
im going to put the links in the CR thread because I don’t want to mess this thread up.
Dude go drive down the beach in Port A, then see if you are still uncertain.