COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

13 hours ago, Damor said:

BSWH system data:

2006472674_COVIDExternal1_pptx.thumb.jpg.1e7834e4d6b08e52ea9d17ef26856e10.jpg

1961496348_COVIDExternal2_pptx.thumb.jpg.eb264100c49e366798e66ed5814a4e8f.jpg

Fully vaccinated cases are almost universally immunosuppressed or other severe comorbidities.

This graph makes me feel good.

The school year is still going to start off with a shitshow I fear, but I think the worst thing that will happen is my unvaccinated fifth-grader might catch a mild case of COVID or will have to quarantine for 10 days because one of his classmates tests positive.

That the overwhelming majority of hospitalizations and deaths are unvaccinated people doesn’t make me feel bad, but for the hospital beds those dumbfucks are taking up.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/13/2021 at 9:50 PM, Chewbacca said:

Nah, Aspen doesn't tend to roll that way. My guess is they have some data to back it up.

And I'm guessing that there were members of Johnny's crew who were unvaccinated. He also did this same trip last year, during the height of the pandemic, and he said that he travels with several of his neighbors.

You'd guess wrong then.  Which is not uncommon for you.

• Fuck You 1

14 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Thanks to guys like him if the same thing happened to you, you would be in no position to “do the same thing” because nowadays that lawsuit would be worth absolutely nothing, much less 10 fucking million dollars. 

He also consistently opposes laws to help the disabled. If you can’t see the rank hypocrisy in that then I can’t help you. 

Future meds, which drives just about all the damages in a quadriplegia or paraplegia injury claim, is not capped.  His life care plan would be $10 million.

If it was a med mal case and his damages were pain and suffering (capped at $250k), you would have a point.

My last settlement of a paralyzed injury in Texas was over $10 million.

• Fuck You 1

13 hours ago, mdleast said:

TLDR: good Lord, stop being dumb fucks about something that you have absolutely no training or expertise at all and trust what the super majority of those that actually have schooling have to say about this medical issue (just like we ALL have done so about literally all other medical issues…before we had politically charged networks and social media telling us what to think)

This is where the rubber hits the road.  The anti-science types are disgruntled because their lives are not where they think they should be.  It couldn't possibly be a result of their own poor choices.

So it has to be those "elites."  Which includes smart people, politicians (that they actually voted for), scientists, pharma, tech companies, and other people and entities smarter and more capable than them that form a "deep state" and/or some type of pedophile ring.

These people have become utterly content to substitute their own poorly informed opinions and judgment for those who are actually educated, smart, and well-meaning, just because they can't accept that they are stupid and backward.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Abbott quadrupling down on ensuring that even private businesses cannot enforce vaccine requirements.

This is more insane to me than the mask mandate stuff.  

If you believe that a bakery can deny a customer a wedding cake because they're gay, how can you believe that they also can't setup a rule that requires proof of vaccination.  The hypocrisy is amazing.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

If you believe that a bakery can deny a customer a wedding cake because they're gay, how can you believe that they also can't setup a rule that requires proof of vaccination.  The hypocrisy is amazing.  

asked and answered 

Edited by mchookem
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Abbott quadrupling down on ensuring that even private businesses cannot enforce vaccine requirements.

So where does Abbott think the authority comes from that he can control who a private business allows into their property?  Also does he have the power to pull a liquor license or compel tabc or whomever to do it?

The same place his authority to overrule the emergency powers given to County Judges by the Texas Constitution comes from.  His own mind.  Dude will do anything to make sure Texans can die of Covid through their own ignorance.  I wish him good luck.

Edited by kevwun

20 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Cedar Point Nursery v. Hassid.  Depriving a private property owner of executing his right to exclude -- one of the most important of the bundle of property rights, per SCOTUS -- is a taking.  SCOTUS kinda sorta made that back letter law a few weeks ago.  And here, he's making it super easy to set the price of that taking -- the value of your liquor sales.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Does anyone else look at covidestim?  The trend in R numbers for Dallas, Tarrant, Bexar, Travis and Harris all look to be improving.  Albeit Harris from a much higher place than the others.

https://covidestim.org/

I WANT TO BELIEVE

Those R#s appear to be potentially be spot on but everything else (positive cases, hospitalizations and deaths) are all downstream. According to that site, we edit: Texas hit the R# peak on July 20th but we still haven't hit the cases per 100K peak. Or at least today is the peak.  Hospitalizations and death will trail further still.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

16 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I find it funny that a group of people so rightfully critical of others’ use of language that is homophobic / transphobic / pokes fun at mentally handicapped people - that group freely pokes fun at Abbott’s handicap. These jokes never have been and aren’t funny. 

No civility for the uncivil 

• Like 1

off-premise liquor sales are different than on-premise liquor sales.  He's the one that expanded restaurant's legal ability to sell alcohol to go.  About time they maximized that right.  Police have zero bandwidth to enforce.  

15 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Not sure what my handle has to do with anything, but I don’t intend to lecture. I don’t get why we’re just okay poking fun at the fact that the dude’s in a wheelchair. Imagine if that happened to your son or daughter, and they became a powerful political figure. And anytime someone disagreed with their politics, yeah, their standpoints get shredded but always with a comment on their handicap.  It’s ridiculous. 

Yeah, you'd have to be a real 

ASERXF7A4M34REPLRFRZS2QM2Q.gif

to do something like that.  How dare they.

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Exactly, rules are out the window. 

I always get a kick out of seeing what new deep right youtube hole you link us to for your GOTCHA moments that are taken out of context. As if he was advocating for actually kicking someone in the context of "when they go low, we go high". Because I'm pretty sure that saying isn't talking about a right hook for "going high"

Thanks for the laugh. Lemme know when you get around to shitposting about the recent street fighting in LA

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

This is more insane to me than the mask mandate stuff.  

I’m for freedom and like the GOP when they do pro freedom things. This isn’t that. It’s anti freedom and stupid. Pass. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I always get a kick out of seeing what new deep right youtube hole you link us to for your GOTCHA moments that are taken out of context. As if he was advocating for actually kicking someone in the context of "when they go low, we go high". Because I'm pretty sure that saying isn't talking about a right hook for "going high"

Thanks for the laugh. Lemme know when you get around to shitposting about the recent street fighting in LA

Deep right? What the fuck are you talking about? Go to your deep left news sources on the apparent LA fights. You a q mother fucker aren't ya? Go raid a federal building.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Agreed.  Private companies should be able to do what they want especially when you can say this actions help improve employee safety

Obvious caveat being can't discriminate against a protected class in most instances. Not full on Libertarian there, but would prefer full on Libertarian to state actions like this.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

What you seem to be missing is that thanks in large part to Greg Abbott, none of us in that predicament can do the same thing anymore.  We'd be lucky to get enough money to provide lifetime healthcare for the injured, let alone upward of 10k/month.  And if you incur the same type of injury from medical negligence, you're just plain fucked.

At least our insurance rates went down as promised.

5 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Alright, the $200,000-a-year (with overtime) Gay Focker braggart who has been crowd sourced multiple times is busting my balls and getting positive feedback for it. Out. 

You seem like a well educated and completely grounded individual.  Go back to CR, your type is why I never post there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Well fuck, seems like school positives have started to show up. 955 cases posted today (+510 from last Monday).  Hospitalizations down to 589 (-10 from Friday) which tracks to the drop in cases a week ago.  ICU admits are up to 213 (+10 from Friday) and Vents at 134 (+4 from Friday).

Everyone get ready for the shit show

image.thumb.png.ce16141b1555ea62a6e7aa7dd76ebdd5.png

image.thumb.png.0315a85de84c48e97751c26b7cd59fb3.png

here we go batman GIF

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Well fuck, seems like school positives have started to show up. 955 cases posted today (+510 from last Monday).  Hospitalizations down to 589 (-10 from Friday) which tracks to the drop in cases a week ago.  ICU admits are up to 213 (+10 from Friday) and Vents at 134 (+4 from Friday).

Everyone get ready for the shit show

image.thumb.png.ce16141b1555ea62a6e7aa7dd76ebdd5.png

image.thumb.png.0315a85de84c48e97751c26b7cd59fb3.png

here we go batman GIF

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Yes, and yes.  Pray for my kids or something.

Sorry dude.  At least my kid attends an elementary school in AISD that seems to be pro-mask for the most part.  But I've already resigned myself to the little guy having at least one 10-day time out from in-person school because of a positive test in his class.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Sorry dude.  At least my kid attends an elementary school in AISD that seems to be pro-mask for the most part.  But I've already resigned myself to the little guy having at least one 10-day time out from in-person school because of a positive test in his class.

Yeah, looking at the LISD dashboards.  1 student reported positive last week.  9 reported across the district just today.

• Hook 'Em 1

as JSD noted above yet another shitty day (including weekend) for Travis County. 912 cases and a fairly heavy skew younger.

School starts tomorrow for AISD , hang onto your hats. It will be interesting as athletics starts to get going (my older son has scrimmage vs a school in Cedar Park this week) how Covid & contact tracing gets put to the test. Good times ahead for all.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/16 vs 8/13 13 68 120 232 212 138 97 52 17 6 955
% of Daily Change 1.36% 7.12% 12.57% 24.29% 22.20% 14.45% 10.16% 5.45% 1.78% 0.63%  
% of Total Cases 0.66% 4.59% 10.74% 26.01% 20.86% 14.79% 10.93% 6.38% 3.08% 1.96%  

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Future meds, which drives just about all the damages in a quadriplegia or paraplegia injury claim, is not capped.  His life care plan would be $10 million.

If it was a med mal case and his damages were pain and suffering (capped at $250k), you would have a point.

My last settlement of a paralyzed injury in Texas was over $10 million.

I’m not talking about damages and caps on damages. I’m talking about liability in the first place. 

It was a premises liability claim. He wasn’t injured in a negligent car wreck or tucking accident.  A tree on a city owned sidewalk fell on him because he was out jogging during a lighting storm. Today, that case is worthless. Apparently in the 80s it was worth 10 million. 

No specific law was passed by the lege on those claims of course. Although I’m not sure if the city or county paid anything or he just got lucky jogging in river oaks hitting up some rich homeowner. 

Just Texas Supreme Court case after case pouring out plaintiff after plaintiff with holdings making it virtually impossible to win such a claim. Basically what they like to call “legislating from the bench” and second guessing juries. You don’t really dispute that do you?

And who was on the Texas Supreme Court for quite some time issuing those type of rulings, one Greg abbot. Admittedly he wasn’t nearly as bad then as the fools yet to come.