Cam Newton Signs 1 Year Deal with Patriots

Vic Mackey

3 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

If Cam returns to the Patriots, they get some decent receivers, and use the offense to take advantage of his running skills, he could be successful with them. I didn't watch the Pats much this year, but the change from Brady, one of the best ever at reading defenses and throwing the receiver open, but has the mobility of a small office building, to Newton, who isn't nearly as good at reading defenses, but can force the defense to dedicate players to watch his running capability, probably takes more than one year. 

Contract size isn't an issue with Newton right now. He's looking for redemption after being released by the Panthers and the rough season last year with the Pats. I can't think of another team that's ready to contend for the playoffs where he would fit. 

Rivera is coaching Washington now, and spent ten years with Newton. Their QB roster may be a little crowded, though. 

I don’t think Covid makes it to where you can’t complete forward passes, but he really did look like vintage Cam right before he got Covid. It fucked with Myles Garrett pretty badly too. Might be something to that. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

20 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don’t think Covid makes it to where you can’t complete forward passes, but he really did look like vintage Cam right before he got Covid. It fucked with Myles Garrett pretty badly too. Might be something to that. 

He did?  In early October, after going 17/28 for 162, with 1 TD and a pick and averaging 5.3 AY/A?  Ha!  You're probably right about vintage Cam actually except without the major rushing numbers, but I've seen this reasoning a ton and it really doesn't hold water.  Cam had his best games after COVID, not before.  Now maybe it took him a week or two to get his feet under him, but there was a 3 game stretch in November where Cam looked his best and the Pats went 2-1 (and more broadly, he played okay in 5/6 games in that time frame). 

Really if you look at the schedule, it appears Cam played well or decent vs bad defenses and struggled vs good defenses except maybe the Ravens although they were pretty beat up that game.  He looked like sort of a league average QB.  Now, he didn't get a full TC and offseason with a team because of COVID except for virtual stuff and that actually means a lot to a guy trying to learn a new system and coming off surgery (although he can get his physical reps other ways).  I think the Pats sort of knew they were going to have take a bullet this season and Cam was a fall guy, but it feels like he's either going to have to take a backup job, a job where he's forced to compete, or be a bridge QB to a rookie QB.  He's only 32 so if he shows a little better, maybe a team signs him to a better deal.  A reunion with NE may be in the cards as they don't seem to be aggressively going after a QB in the trade market.  Another place he may end up being somewhere like Chicago or maybe SF if they don't get something done?

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He did?  In early October, after going 17/28 for 162, with 1 TD and a pick and averaging 5.3 AY/A?  Ha!  You're probably right about vintage Cam actually except without the major rushing numbers, but I've seen this reasoning a ton and it really doesn't hold water.  Cam had his best games after COVID, not before.  Now maybe it took him a week or two to get his feet under him, but there was a 3 game stretch in November where Cam looked his best and the Pats went 2-1 (and more broadly, he played okay in 5/6 games in that time frame). 

Really if you look at the schedule, it appears Cam played well or decent vs bad defenses and struggled vs good defenses except maybe the Ravens although they were pretty beat up that game.  He looked like sort of a league average QB.  Now, he didn't get a full TC and offseason with a team because of COVID except for virtual stuff and that actually means a lot to a guy trying to learn a new system and coming off surgery (although he can get his physical reps other ways).  I think the Pats sort of knew they were going to have take a bullet this season and Cam was a fall guy, but it feels like he's either going to have to take a backup job, a job where he's forced to compete, or be a bridge QB to a rookie QB.  He's only 32 so if he shows a little better, maybe a team signs him to a better deal.  A reunion with NE may be in the cards as they don't seem to be aggressively going after a QB in the trade market.  Another place he may end up being somewhere like Chicago or maybe SF if they don't get something done?

I was more referring to the game where the Patriots actually had to come from behind and throw to keep up with the Seahawks. He had 397 yards passing. Patriots fans were making comments like “just extend this dude now and be done with it. He’s our guy”. 

He got covid right 2 weeks later if I’m not mistaken.

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I was more referring to the game where the Patriots actually had to come from behind and throw to keep up with the Seahawks. He had 397 yards passing. Patriots fans were making comments like “just extend this dude now and be done with it. He’s our guy”. 

He got covid right 2 weeks later if I’m not mistaken.

Right.  To my point, he beat up on bad passing defenses, like Seattle who was 2nd worst in football and in the first half of the season, they were the worst.  Jets being another team he had 2 good games against -- they were bottom 5 pass defense.  The narrative is a sloppy one because it didn't look at the opposition.  Again, the next week after Seattle, he went out against Vegas (who's another bad passing defense) and put up a perfectly mediocre or below average game.  Then he got COVID.

21 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Right.  To my point, he beat up on bad passing defenses, like Seattle who was 2nd worst in football and in the first half of the season, they were the worst.  Jets being another team he had 2 good games against -- they were bottom 5 pass defense.  The narrative is a sloppy one because it didn't look at the opposition.  Again, the next week after Seattle, he went out against Vegas (who's another bad passing defense) and put up a perfectly mediocre or below average game.  Then he got COVID.

It is definitely a sloppy narrative. I do think it had an impact on how Myles Garrett performed though. He was a completely different player after he came back. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Newton's in a tough spot, and resigning with the Patriots is probably one of his only moves. 

Brady left the Patriots not just over money, but I think he thought the Buccaneers had a better chance of getting to the Super Bowl. The Patriots receiving corps has gone steadily downhill. Belichick will have to retool the offense, cause Newton is a completely different kind of QB from Brady. 

I honestly don't know on this, but has Newton taken too many hits to be effective? He always played a physical game, and you can only take so many hits. 

28 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Stidham is terrible, and Newton will likely not be making that much money.

At the end of the day Newton will probably make a little more than the $5 million he made last year unless things go really perfect and he achieves all those incentives.  The money is actually back up QB money and a one year deal at that so really it's not that bad of a deal for the Pats.  My only issue with Newton as a QB at this point is he cant really throw the football anymore.  I love seeing him throw a ball 4 yards in front of the receiver into the ground, sail a ball 10 yards over their head or just hold the ball because he didn't go through his progressions fast enough.  I wonder if being able to throw the football is important if you are a QB in the NFL.  It's gonna be another long year as a Pats fan but after the last 20 years I have nothing to complain about.  

Wouldn’t be surprised if little of this contract was guaranteed before the start of the regular season, so if BB finds a better option in draft, trade, or a QB that gets cut before the season they can show him the door. Or keep him as a backup that won’t hit his performance incentives.  

2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

At the end of the day Newton will probably make a little more than the $5 million he made last year unless things go really perfect and he achieves all those incentives.  The money is actually back up QB money and a one year deal at that so really it's not that bad of a deal for the Pats.  My only issue with Newton as a QB at this point is he cant really throw the football anymore.  I love seeing him throw a ball 4 yards in front of the receiver into the ground, sail a ball 10 yards over their head or just hold the ball because he didn't go through his progressions fast enough.  I wonder if being able to throw the football is important if you are a QB in the NFL.  It's gonna be another long year as a Pats fan but after the last 20 years I have nothing to complain about.  

He's never been very accurate.  In his prime, he had a cannon, but not all that accurate in leading receivers open or putting in tight windows with regularity in comparison to other top shelf QBs, and then came the shoulder injury.  I actually like Cam a little more being 2 years after the shoulder, same system and he should get some normalcy of an offseason.  I think he can be functional and if he had a really good running game and some very good weapons around him, the Pats could make some noise.  But Bill has always sucked at drafting offensive weapons beyond the one big TE year (Gronk and Hernandez) and it's been ages since he drafted a good WR in the top 100 picks.  Brady carried him in this sense and Edelman really sort of bailed out the Pats in a lot of ways in his prime.  He's past his prime too.  

Maybe the Pats draft a QB, especially at 15 if someone drops or maybe 2/3rd round?

35 minutes ago, Machinator said:

At 15, the best the Pats will probably do is Mac Jones. Trey Lance's Pro Day is today, maybe he scares off suitors in the top 10.

There's a lot of smoke that Atlanta loves Lance at 4 so yea, Jones, who I think will end up going top 12, but maybe Trask or Newman in 2/3rd rounds or maybe they can trade capital and get in the top 3.

• 5 months later...
28 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I am shocked and excited at the same time.  Mac being QB was as inevitable as Thanos at this point so I guess Belichick figured may as well hand over the reigns sooner rather than later.  Would have liked to have Cam as a backup and change of pace QB but guess he wouldn’t be interested in that.

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I am shocked and excited at the same time.  Mac being QB was as inevitable as Thanos at this point so I guess Belichick figured may as well hand over the reigns sooner rather than later.  Would have liked to have Cam as a backup and change of pace QB but guess he wouldn’t be interested in that.

Of course not...Does this man look like a backup? 

d5f1de9706d5cb2d32b2169f7ed40b5d.jpg

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

240885145_4710291182350866_8506042698143

The photo on the left was taken in 1957, it’s just been colorized and edited to make it look like a recent photo.

It’s about time that teams start cutting players who won’t get vaccinated and risk the fortunes of the entire team.

🤘

1 minute ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I have my fun car and I like to drive it, it probably looks more like the guy on the right. It's also totally useless most of the time. I end up taking either my truck or the SUV, they look a lot more like the guy on the left.

A ‘70s School Bus looks more like the guy on the left. 

But it hauls asses.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Does Alabama prohibit their QBs from lifting weights? How does someone in a college football program for five years look like that?

He was only there for 4 years.

That’s an old photo, because he looked nothing like that at the Heisman ceremonies.

Probably from after they beat Georgia in the national championship game his freshman year.

21 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

He was only there for 4 years.

That’s an old photo, because he looked nothing like that at the Heisman ceremonies.

Probably from after they beat Georgia in the national championship game his freshman year.

That's after last year's national championship game, which was played on grass in Miami. That's why he has grass stains on his pants.

Alabama/Georgia was played in Atlanta on carpet.

• Hook 'Em 2

That's the kind of QB you want. A dude with the confidence and swagger to celebrate with his shirt off when he's built like a lump of play-doh. 

Not some insecure little man who thinks, "oooh I need a comic book superhero physique and hey guys my nickname is Superman."

• Haha 1

Not sure when the flabby Mac Jones pic was taken, but Alabama wore the home crimson jerseys against Ohio State. You’ll note his teammate is in visitor’s white.

Edited to add it was October 2020 after beating Tennessee, apparently stogies are a postgame tradition.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/alabama-players-coaches-celebrate-win-over-tennessee-with-victory-cigars/

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/23/2021 at 11:21 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

It is definitely a sloppy narrative. I do think it had an impact on how Myles Garrett performed though. He was a completely different player after he came back. 

May be some underlying issues with Myles Garrett.  I remember him having to go to the sidelines for 2-3 plays pretty much every drive when at aggy. The guy was/is a physical freak, so don’t think it’s conditioning issues. 

• 2 months later...

Back in Carolina. 

Quarterback Cam Newton has agreed to a deal with the Carolina Panthers that will bring him back to the team that he helped reach the Super Bowl in 2015, it was announced Thursday.

The deal, which is pending a physical, is worth up to $10 million for the remainder of the season, including $4.5 million guaranteed and a $1.5 million roster bonus, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32606809/cam-newton-carolina-panthers-agree-deal