Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Actually, they're underreporting, typically. But you do you, Mr. Insider. 

Huh, well I stand corrected… I’ve talked to a couple power 5 ADs, and they’ve given me a different impression (but granted, they are at smaller programs, and we mostly focused on NIL for basketball).

I just can’t fathom being dumb enough to throw millions at an unproven kid with red flags right out of high school — especially headed into a recession.

Why not earmark that money for portal players with proven college production instead?

Edited by ATXhorn17

37 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I like the approach, but we need to polish it some.  Start with "the lord told me in a vision..." and then end with "If you do this God will bless you beyond measure with even more wealth and whatever else your heart desires.  God bless and amen" and we've got a 50/50 shot of making this happen. 

Is he a Jesus freak or something?

23 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Zero chance Reuben Owens got $3 mil — get a grip people. The NIL numbers that get tossed around publicly are grossly exaggerated.

Whatever numbers you hear in this kind of discussion should be viewed as spread over a 3-4 year period. I don't know the Owens numbers, but for starters, there is a reason he and others committed so early to Louisville and stayed committed for so long. Louisville was desperate and they blew out the market. The coach flopped and once he skated for Cincinnati, NIL support fell apart as well. ATM is desperate, so it wouldn't shock me if they came within range of the Louisville numbers. 

Beyond that, you're simply wrong. Highly rated recruits will land 6 figures when they get to campuses and that's what it took for ATM to buy their class in bags last year. They paid $200+k for Denver Harris. Whoops. Nolan gets $750k each year and his parents live a nice house in The Woodlands. Stewart came within range of that payout and when/if he enters the portal after finals, he'll get big numbers from anyone making a run at him.

There are plenty of instances where NIL numbers are being inflated, for sure. If the player isn't an incoming top 50 recruit or All Conference-level, yeah, they're not going to get something crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Huh, well I stand corrected… I’ve talked to a couple power 5 ADs, and they’ve given me a different impression (but granted, they are at smaller programs, and we mostly focused on NIL for basketball).

I just can’t fathom being dumb enough to throw millions at an unproven kid with red flags right out of high school — especially headed into a recession.

Why not earmark that money for portal players with proven college production instead?

1) The numbers for big time basketball guys aren't any smaller.

2) ATM is quite obviously desperate.

3) You're making the mistake of the false choice premise in regard to the portal question. ATM is trying to offer some over the top shit for a few key holes on their roster, and they're doing in a way that is attempting to harm their enemies - Texas, Alabama, LSU. We'll see if it works. Players already in college have a better idea of what a dumpster fire that program is turning into than wide-eyed recruits.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

3) You're making the mistake of the false choice premise in regard to the portal question. ATM is trying to offer some over the top shit for a few key holes on their roster, and they're doing in a way that is attempting to harm their enemies - Texas, Alabama, LSU. We'll see if it works. Players already in college have a better idea of what a dumpster fire that program is turning into than wide-eyed recruits.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend." - The longer they keep doing this, the more concerted the attack against them will become. Sign me up...

• Hook 'Em 4

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yes.  He hired a fellow nut, Jack Easterby, who became his Rasputin and ended up largely running the Texans before McNair was forced to fire him because the entire organization was about to revolt.  It's a big part of why I think it's for the best that Cal McNair has no role in Texas football.  At peak Easterby, the Texans were signing free agents and drafting players based on their level of piety.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

40 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

They're trying to do both. As CTJ said, they're desperate. Perception of a class is important to everything as well, and their class is absolute shit on the heels of the "greatest class of all time." Unless they're getting 22 proven producers from the portal, you've still got to do both. But as we've seen, most of the top talent isn't in the portal, and if they do, they'll probably already have their destination announced. And not even Oregon can win all the portal bids, so aTm has to do both, and their current class is floundering. 

Owens is a chance to get some excitement going, and momentum. 

13 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yes.  He hired a fellow nut, Jack Easterby, who became his Rasputin and ended up largely running the Texans before McNair was forced to fire him because the entire organization was about to revolt.  It's a big part of why I think it's for the best that Cal McNair has no role in Texas football.  At peak Easterby, the Texans were signing free agents and drafting players based on their level of piety.

I don't follow the NFL, and I sure as fuck don't follow the Texans. But I fucking refuse to believe they were drafting players based on their religious fervor. 

I'm sure it was just a coincidence that most of their new players loved Jesus and were very vocal about it on social media.  I'm not even a Texans fan, but the Easterby saga was so strange that when I first heard about what was going on, I had to read more about it.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I'm sure it was just a coincidence that most of their new players loved Jesus and were very vocal about it on social media.  I'm not even a Texans fan, but the Easterby saga was so strange that when I first heard about what was going on, I had to read more about it.

McCown, also a Jesus guy, was one of Easterby's biggest bro's, who he wanted to bring in as HC (luckily Nick seemed to stand up against that one). 

As for drafting players because they're Christian or whatever, I don't really see that. It's not like Davis Mills is leading prayer outside of NRG every day. Now on the free agent side, there was a lot of talk of "The right guys," but a lot of players around the NFL are "really wanna thank god" types and such, so I'm not sure how much of that was going on. 

But yes, Easterby had no business being in the position he was in, and that's a direct reflection of the McNairs. 

Maybe telling Cal that Texas is God's team will help. 

59 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Whatever numbers you hear in this kind of discussion should be viewed as spread over a 3-4 year period. I don't know the Owens numbers, but for starters, there is a reason he and others committed so early to Louisville and stayed committed for so long. Louisville was desperate and they blew out the market. The coach flopped and once he skated for Cincinnati, NIL support fell apart as well. ATM is desperate, so it wouldn't shock me if they came within range of the Louisville numbers. 

Beyond that, you're simply wrong. Highly rated recruits will land 6 figures when they get to campuses and that's what it took for ATM to buy their class in bags last year. They paid $200+k for Denver Harris. Whoops. Nolan gets $750k each year and his parents live a nice house in The Woodlands. Stewart came within range of that payout and when/if he enters the portal after finals, he'll get big numbers from anyone making a run at him.

There are plenty of instances where NIL numbers are being inflated, for sure. If the player isn't an incoming top 50 recruit or All Conference-level, yeah, they're not going to get something crazy. 

McNair?  Yeah- that was the deal with Easterbee- he was the team Chaplin in New England and that’s how he got his foot in the door in Houston. And McNairs the worst kind as I’m pretty sure it’s a combination prosperity  gospel/snake handlers. 
The entire Texans organization is over the top Christian fundamentalism nonsense. And I’m a pretty conservative believer and attend regularly so this isn’t like some sort of unhinged rant against Christianity from a militant atheist.  

• Hook 'Em 4

51 minutes ago, mannewers said:

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend." - The longer they keep doing this, the more concerted the attack against them will become. Sign me up...

The attack would be in spending, presumably.  Which would require raising even more money for a war chest.  Which would lead to even more McNair talk, which will lead to more Texans talk.  AND NOBODY WANTS THAT. NOBODY. 

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

McNair?  Yeah- that was the deal with Easterbee- he was the team Chaplin in New England and that’s how he got his foot in the door in Houston. And McNairs the worst kind as I’m pretty sure it’s a combination prosperity  gospel/snake handlers. 
The entire Texans organization is over the top Christian fundamentalism nonsense. And I’m a pretty conservative believer and attend regularly so this isn’t like some sort of unhinged rant against Christianity from a militant atheist.  

Easterby was brought in as your regular ole team chaplain/character coach guy, which wasn't too odd. But he was in the building at the time of Bob McNair's health problems and eventual passing, so rumor is that Cal and the McNairs personally leaned on him a lot, and that it took the relationship to a different level which ended in the Easterby gaining a little bit too much power. 

So yes, not the greatest judge of things, Cal. I really do wonder his deep down, personal feelings about Texas football, and how connected he feels to it. Just doesn't seem to be as big as I'd have hoped. 

Edited by UncleBuck

1 hour ago, mannewers said:

Literally last week I posited that this could happen and aggy is the kind of rube that could bring it on themselves and unite blue bloods/a conference into ganging up on them. 

As far as the other stuff I wouldn’t call that Texans talk I’d call that McNair talk, as the story got very weird and interesting in a car crash kind of way. I don’t follow the Texans and actively am happy when they lose but it even permeated it’s way down to my level of understanding. It’s really fascinating shit. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm mostly with you at the last one, but it's frustrating. That being said, demanding The Longhorns play multiple games in Houston at Reliant is certainly one way to demonstrate you're more interested in what Texas can do for you than what you can do for Texas. 

100% on point.

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

These guys comparing paychecks is exactly the kind of thing that we should be cheering for. Next up is fall camp holdouts. Also, I am betting the 3M is over 4 years. No way some idiot is stupid enough to give a kid with huge red flags that kind of money up front.

That is a long time away. We are just starting the fall portal period. More jumpers to come and even some landers......which will may inspire more to jump.

Then we get the spring portal period with more to enter the portal after spring practice.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I would assume they're going hard after Banks. If our boosters let them bag a guy like that from us, might as well fold up shop

19 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I would assume they're going hard after Banks. If our boosters let them bag a guy like that from us, might as well fold up shop

If aTm steals banks after a year with Kyle Flood’s development and Addazio on staff, while he will be getting NIL at Texas, I will shit a golden CloseToJumping. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Zhorn96 said:

When I was at UT and was a valet at a restaurant downtown, Dell would roll in periodically.  First time, we parked him up front.  He gave us a $1 tip.  Next time, we parked him as far away as we possibly could.  He gave us a $1 tip.  Not sure what that says about him except that he is a cheap motherfucker

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think you should be very sure what that says about him.

Very antisemitic. 

Gerry Hamilton said Riley quietly signed an extension with TCU this week. I guess since they are a private school they don’t have to report it and make some big announcement.

Anyways, it doesn’t completely take him off the table for the A&M OC job but his buyout as a coordinator is significantly higher now.

• Hook 'Em 7

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry Hamilton said Riley quietly signed an extension with TCU this week. I guess since they are a private school they don’t have to report it and make some big announcement.

Anyways, it doesn’t completely take him off the table for the A&M OC job but his buyout as a coordinator is significantly higher now.

His next stop is HC.  He’s not going to do another OC job before that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

They're trying to do both. As CTJ said, they're desperate. Perception of a class is important to everything as well, and their class is absolute shit on the heels of the "greatest class of all time." Unless they're getting 22 proven producers from the portal, you've still got to do both. But as we've seen, most of the top talent isn't in the portal, and if they do, they'll probably already have their destination announced. And not even Oregon can win all the portal bids, so aTm has to do both, and their current class is floundering. 

Owens is a chance to get some excitement going, and momentum. 

I don't follow the NFL, and I sure as fuck don't follow the Texans. But I fucking refuse to believe they were drafting players based on their religious fervor. 

So, you're telling me Jesus Christ can't complete passes?