2020 Democratic National Convention

Hugo Stiglitz

The Jill Biden contrast to Melania Trump is night and day. Her personality mixed in with the family story and her teaching background makes her come off as a very likeable person.

Melanie's story is murky and she comes off as a former high end Eastern European prostitute that became a soulless madam that should be investigated for human trafficking.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Donald is probably asking the RNC if he can show off nudez from Melania

He doesn't have to. They've all seen them. Hell, I could post some right here if it were socially acceptable. A simple Google search should turn up some pics of a naked Melania with a bad boob job and another naked woman. So classy. Exactly what we're looking for in a First Lady. 

I was just watching CNN and MSNBC to see some of the opinions of tonight’s broadcast and they were of course saying how great it was so I decided to switch over to Fox News.  The banner on Fox News read, “Jill Biden’s ex husband said she was having an affair with Joe in the 1970’s”. I could only handle Laura Ingraham and her guests for about 30 seconds discussing how Joe Biden is not a good family man and the Dems took the word God out of their platform or something.  So the people pushing Donald Trump can honestly even have this kind of a argument about Biden being unfaithful?   I had to switch back to CNN.  I feel sad for how dumb you have to be to watch Fox and buy into what they are selling. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, F250 said:

The Jill Biden contrast to Melania Trump is night and day. Her personality mixed in with the family story and her teaching background makes her come off as a very likeable person.

Melanie's story is murky and she comes off as a former high end Eastern European prostitute that became a soulless madam that should be investigated for human trafficking.

She reminded me of Barbara Bush, but in a much more attractive package.    

25 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I was just watching CNN and MSNBC to see some of the opinions of tonight’s broadcast and they were of course saying how great it was so I decided to switch over to Fox News.  The banner on Fox News read, “Jill Biden’s ex husband said she was having an affair with Joe in the 1970’s”. I could only handle Laura Ingraham and her guests for about 30 seconds discussing how Joe Biden is not a good family man and the Dems took the word God out of their platform or something.  So the people pushing Donald Trump can honestly even have this kind of a argument about Biden being unfaithful?   I had to switch back to CNN.  I feel sad for how dumb you have to be to watch Fox and buy into what they are selling. 

Thank God

Exactly.

I've admired the journalists both print and otherwise that take the time to report accurately, to dig around and present views from the interviewees, yada and more yada but the hot takes of social media have really upended the process and I'm watching the field in real time over the last what? decade? just really fall apart with the onslaught of alternative sources. Cable and its 24 hour channels began the process, but the internet has slit the throat.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Random apostrophe placement
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Beyond frustrating to watch the media continuously fuck up.

They’re not fucking up.  They’re operating just as they always have.  If 2016 should have taught us anything, it’s that legacy media is not a friend to the American people. They push the division in society as much as anyone, it’s their business model to gravitate towards conflict. In many ways Trump was their wet dream. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Has anyone posted this before? I'm on a bit of a Twitter rampage this morning before working and it's a minute and a half but it hit me. After yesterday being the anniversary of women's suffrage and the nomination of Kamala Harris, the topic is just....

Sorry, left off the full clip, eighteen minutes

https://www.pbssocal.org/programs/amanpour-co/end-american-era-tieuta/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=organic-social&utm_campaign=clip

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
EDIT

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

They’re not fucking up.  They’re operating just as they always have.  If 2016 should have taught us anything, it’s that legacy media is not a friend to the American people. They push the division in society as much as anyone, it’s their business model to gravitate towards conflict. In many ways Trump was their wet dream. 

100% this

This isn't an accident, it's manufacturing consent.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I’d pay good money to watch Jill Biden destroy Melania in a debate. Melania is the worst grifter in America and can fuck herself.

If by worst, you mean least talented? Listen, of all the shitbags in that administration I find her the least offensive. She actually looks fucking ashamed and unhappy most of the time, that probably means she has more of a soul than any other fuck in that administration. Shit, she's not the first woman to marry a rich guy for his fucking money. She's not even the first mail order bride to do it. I'm sure she didn't expect THIS kind of public life. 

That being said, I would also pay good money to watch that debate. If for no other reason it would be the first time you'd score hordes of republicans screaming about beating up a poor, disadvantaged immigrant. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

100% this

This isn't an accident, it's manufacturing consent.

Will one of you elaborate a little on this? I don't watch CNN, NBC, but I grew up watching Mike Wallace when I was little because my folks watched 60 minutes. I don't get my news from the television although I view CSpan now and again. I understand that the business needs views/drama to sell,  but can you flesh out the topic a little more?

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If by worst, you mean least talented? Listen, of all the shitbags in that administration I find her the least offensive. She actually looks fucking ashamed and unhappy most of the time, that probably means she has more of a soul than any other fuck in that administration. Shit, she's not the first woman to marry a rich guy for his fucking money. She's not even the first mail order bride to do it. I'm sure she didn't expect THIS kind of public life. 

That being said, I would also pay good money to watch that debate. If for no other reason it would be the first time you'd score hordes of republicans screaming about beating up a poor, disadvantaged immigrant. 

Somehow, Trump would probably figure out a way to substitute Ivanka for Melania. Not that Jill Biden would have any problem there either, but listening to the pretzel logic on the reason why would be amusing.

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Beyond frustrating to watch the media continuously fuck up. 

Listen, this isn't a defense of the media in general. They're indefensible. But honestly, this is what you get when systemic of degradation of public education, up to and even through the collegiate level...when that meets a professional field that has been cut, slashed, contracted, and just turned to complete shit for content, keyworks, clicks and can't turn a profit. Most of the employees who've been fired are the smart, experienced, seasoned guys who understand how our system works and replaced with a 25 year old weakly educated social media director who's only job is to get reactions on the internet.  The rub is that for us, people who are old enough to remember the concept of investigative journalism, who remember a less problem public education we received, who remember what print media used to represent in terms of weight and importance...we can't live with this watered down powdered milk bullshit drivel of a facsimile. 

At this point, while I don't defend their idiocy, or their lack of understanding...I see how it came about. It exists in many, many, many industries these days. The media just is the most obvious. But the scarier thing is that anyone under 35, maybe even 40, has no clue, and doesn't even remember. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Nah don’t give Melania a pass.

She’s a Birther and a grifter and a shitty jacket wearing twat.

I think she’s actually worse than the Stephen Millers of this administration because she’s just along for the ride and to keep up the lifestyle to which she’s become accustomed.

She’s a plastic face gold digger with no soul.

I hope they find something on her and she’s goes to prison with the rest of them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Will one of you elaborate a little on this? I don't watch CNN, NBC, but I grew up watching Mike Wallace when I was little because my folks watched 60 minutes. I don't get my news from the television although I view CSpan now and again. I understand that the business needs views/drama to sell,  but can you flesh out the topic a little more?

I hate to just post a video, but this is about as concise as it gets.

Massive corporations own media as conglomerates and promote pro-corporate messaging through five filters of propaganda.

Economic populism is a threat to corporate agendas, so they will not hire economic populists and therefore economic populism never has a voice in corporate media.

• Hook 'Em 3

Thanks, b_t.  I'll give it a look.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
That was a good watch, I need to read his work. Interesting at the end, the bit about not allowing alternative voices as "what institution would permit something that would allow it to self-distruct?"

47 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Sure, if you want the most overt example of corporate media working in opposition to the American people, Fox News is a perfect example.

The other MSM outlets are not that obvious but they center most of their reporting from the wealthy white male perspective, it’s not necessarily deliberate as much as it’s a product of institutionalized latent bias.

The 2016 election coverage is a perfect example.  They spent more time on Hillary’s emails, which were known to have been illegally stolen by a hostile foreign power at the time, than investigating Trump’s nefarious connections to that same foreign power.  The absurd coverage manufactured a perception that Hillary and Trump were equally bad.  It’s was the classic both sides bullshit when in reality Trump was a dangerous imbecilic crazy person and Hillary clearly was not. 

Imagine if we knew Trump was working a secret real estate deal with the Kremlin while running for President before the election.  Imagine if we knew about the illegal payoffs. So much information was negligently concealed while they bent over backwards to crucify Hillary for the dumbest shit. It was institutionalized/internalized misogyny because this woman dared to obtain power. Similar to the corruption in our politics, legacy media doesn’t work us either.  They function largely to protect existing power and profits by keeping the population divided. It’s why you don’t see any advocates for single payer healthcare among the MSM pundits, despite being a popular idea.  It’s why advocating to reduce military spending is still a taboo subject in the MSM. The media knows who butters their bread and it ain’t us. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Has anyone posted this before? I'm on a bit of a Twitter rampage this morning before working and it's a minute and a half but it hit me. After yesterday being the anniversary of women's suffrage and the nomination of Kamala Harris, the topic is just....

Sorry, left off the full clip, eighteen minutes

https://www.pbssocal.org/programs/amanpour-co/end-american-era-tieuta/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=organic-social&utm_campaign=clip

He's been getting quite a bit of exposure since this article came out.   It's been surly-posted before, but things get overrun with all the flow we have going on.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/covid-19-end-of-american-era-wade-davis-1038206/?fbclid=IwAR2aguVYGGIbKJaKbQmREdE_Twn4cJD-K3sXnyeM_kzbD9q469EmOEwG0Xc

Thanks for the link. You're right, sometimes the info goes by in waves even on Surly and it is hard to keep up. If I stop and follow in depth then more goes by. I'm thinking it's by design at this point in a general sense because one becomes info weary, but I figure if I don't keep on swimming I'll sink like a stone....

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Also, apparently the feedback on the nationwide Democratic roll call was overwhelmingly positive, people loved seeing Americans checking in from their home states. And guess what @WhatTheBuck? Rhode Island was a top fave for the "Calamari Comeback." Best comment I saw was : Squid Pro Quo.

You would think the GOP are taking notes this week. 

The Dems had the disadvantage of going first in re-imaging what a Convention could be in our current covid reality. 

Edited by yoladu