2020 Republican National Convention

Mrs Whiggins

I look around on Twitter for trends, and I hadn't noticed any particular vitriol sent toward Barron other than folks have expressed how tall he is, something that has been reported in People magazine and other celebrity media whenever he has appeared with his parents. I wouldn't be surprised if there was trolling, it's the internet after all, but I guess folks are going back and forth about him because his name is trending:

Remember when this happened when Malia and Sasha were about the same age? The staffer later apologized on Facebook, but ended up resigning. Be Best.

...But Elizabeth Lauten, communications director for Representative Stephen Lee Fincher, was apparently so deeply offended by the teenagers that she wrote a harshly worded Facebook post addressed to them.

"Try showing a little class," she wrote to Malia and Sasha. "At least respect the part you play. Then again your mother and father don't respect their positions very much, or the nation for that matter, so I'm guessing you're coming up a little short in the good role model department."

Lauten not only scolded the Obama daughters for looking bored, but for the way they were dressed.

"Dress like you deserve respect, not a spot at the bar," she wrote. "And certainly don't make faces during televised, public events."

Sasha wore a cardigan-type sweater over a burgundy dress and Malia wore a plaid skirt and sweater.

Lauten's post went viral and as it circulated on social media it drew a lot of criticism and some accusations of cyber bullying. Many came to the defence of the girls, saying the children of the president should be off-limits to critics and that Lauten went way too far.

After the last post, I forgot to add this:

image.jpeg.38fd03757d1e0a4fda051cb008fd6022.jpeg

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Irieguy said:

It is off the cuff but Daniel Dale has been covering Trump for years and fact corrected the same lies over and over(veterans choice). So he can rattle them off in his sleep. 

Right, Dale probably has a database of the top 25 repeated Trump lies in his head, and Trump just dialed it in last night and rattled off about 20 of them.

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

His second big takeaway was probably your tax dollars. How confident are we that the campaign didn't comingle the funds from campaign accounts and WH accounts used to pay for this spectacle?

ummm, yeah... not confident at all.

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I look around on Twitter for trends, and I hadn't noticed any particular vitriol sent toward Barron other than folks have expressed how tall he is, something that has been reported in People magazine and other celebrity media whenever he has appeared with his parents. I wouldn't be surprised if there was trolling, it's the internet after all, but I guess folks are going back and forth about him because his name is trending:

Remember when this happened when Malia and Sasha were about the same age? The staffer later apologized on Facebook, but ended up resigning. Be Best.

After the last post, I forgot to add this:

image.jpeg.38fd03757d1e0a4fda051cb008fd6022.jpeg

the more children you have the higher the probability that one of them will turn out completely different...

in my imagination, Baron growing up in the middle of all this gives him a different perspective the ability to see his father's true character, he is silently disgusted by his entire family and when he comes of age he breaks his silence, disowns them all, writes an incredible autobiography about it all, makes millions on his own, establishes some sort of true humanitarian cause and devotes his life to making sure nobody like his father ever comes to power here again...

in my mind.

17 minutes ago, mchookem said:

the more children you have the higher the probability that one of them will turn out completely different...

in my imagination, Baron growing up in the middle of all this gives him a different perspective the ability to see his father's true character, he is silently disgusted by his entire family and when he comes of age he breaks his silence, disowns them all, writes an incredible autobiography about it all, makes millions on his own, establishes some sort of true humanitarian cause and devotes his life to making sure nobody like his father ever comes to power here again...

in my mind.

IF he's trump's spawn, he'll grow up to be a piece of shit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Only things I saw of whole convention were the Ann Dorn speech, which was heartbreaking, and the last 10 minutes or so of Trump. Sounded pretty standard.

The fireworks rocked. 

A couple good lines I saw after the fact. “they want to be the agents of light, but they can’t keep the lights on”

And of course, “For 47 years Joe Biden took blue collar workers donations. Gave them hugs, and even kisses”

image.gif

• Like 1

Well, it wasn't the boogaloo in DC but the Charlotte NC has already had two attendees and two staffers test COVID-positive

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article245322115.html

But there were trump children and admin officials there.

Hey say what you will about the idiocy of not wearing masks, at least they're leading from the front and exposing themselves to it too. Statistics will catch up with em.

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Only things I saw of whole convention were the Ann Dorn speech, which was heartbreaking, and the last 10 minutes or so of Trump. Sounded pretty standard.

The fireworks rocked. 

A couple good lines I saw after the fact. “they want to be the agents of light, but they can’t keep the lights on”

And of course, “For 47 years Joe Biden took blue collar workers donations. Gave them hugs, and even kisses”

Unfunny jokes followed by forced laughter. Another heartstrings story that's undermined by it's use to miscast the BLM movement. Spectacular although vain fireworks.

The remaining right has distilled their irony deafness, humorlessness, and love of distraction into a potent drink for the adherents. Only an entrenched Trumpist could love what you describe.

The whole convention was a river of vitriolic corn pone out of touch with reality or truth. And they managed to make it simultaneously boring and life threatening. Hurray for the red, white, and blue!

'

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Ok. Doesn’t take away from the power of her message. 

Maybe, maybe not.  But maybe you could tell me this.....when a cop has been killed, the local leadership, Dem or Repub, has almost always been outspoken in their grief and support for the family and the law enforcement community.  Yet when citizens get fucked by law enforcement.....GOP leadership reflexively "backs the blue" -- why is that?

From the GOP, we get sob stories about cops/former cops who were killed by criminals.....but absolute fucking CRICKETS about civilians killed, beaten, or otherwise abused (physically or by fraudulent crime reports, etc.) by police - an occasional throwaway line like 'we must expect our brave police to do their best" or some shit like that.  The GOP cares about one thing, and one thing only: armed authority.  If a few (million) citizens end up fucked over by that authority, hey, you gotta break a few eggs, ya know?

It's fucking sickening.  Real leadership would mourn dead cops AND dead/injured/unjustly imprisoned citizens.  We sure as fuck didn't hear or see any of that from your gods this week.

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

At the end, this is one of the things that makes me the saddest and angriest.  I want my colleagues, friends, and community to go back to work.  I want my kids (one of whom is already in college in a foreign country, the second is looking at it - one of the reasons being that it's cheaper than our system, a whole different problem) to be able to travel freely to other countries to study and get their education.

And I know that if DOTUS is re-elected....none of that will happen, for a long time.  We don't have a pandemic response plan, and not having a plan IS our plan.  We will continue to be fucked, we will continue to have a boatload of people get sick and die, we will continue to have flare-ups, we will continue to be a pariah nation, and there's not a goddamned thing I can do about it.  We will be fully committed to being a failed state.  We will have passports that are damned near as fucking worthless as an Angolan or Afghan passport.  Our offices will continue to be empty, or largely empty.  Our hospitals will continue to staff COVID wards with a shitload more patients than they should have.  We will have a lot more deaths, and on top of that, millions of Americans with lifelong debilitating disease injuries to lungs, heart, etc.

We are a nation at war, and re-electing Trump is us signing the papers of surrender in Tokyo bay, while yelling "losing is winning, because sweet libtears!"  Fucking hell.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Unfunny jokes followed by forced laughter. Another heartstrings story that's undermined by it's use to miscast the BLM movement. Spectacular although vain fireworks.

The remaining right has distilled their irony deafness, humorlessness, and love of distraction into a potent drink for the adherents. Only an entrenched Trumpist could love what you describe.

The whole convention was a river of vitriolic corn pone out of touch with reality or truth. And they managed to make it simultaneously boring and life threatening. Hurray for the red, white, and blue!

'

It’s quite surprising that it missed the mark with you. Ultimately I don’t think you’re in any of the target demographics. I watched a total of 20 mins between both conventions so I’m gonna have to take your word for it about most of what you said. 

I do think it’s interesting that you accuse Rs of being out of touch with reality, but Ds just had an entire convention without, to my understanding, addressing any of the violence/riots/looting in cities. You know, the stuff your preferred media called “mostly peaceful protests”. But, as soon as they get word back from polling or whatever that it’s not going over well, they start half assed denouncements and their media mouthpieces start running interference trying to shift blame elsewhere.

So who is really out of touch with reality?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

18 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

It’s quite surprising that it missed the mark with you. Ultimately I don’t think you’re in any of the target demographics. I watched a total of 20 mins between both conventions so I’m gonna have to take your word for it about most of what you said. 

I do think it’s interesting that you accuse Rs of being out of touch with reality, but Ds just had an entire convention without, to my understanding, addressing any of the violence/riots/looting in cities. You know, the stuff your preferred media called “mostly peaceful protests”. But, as soon as they get word back from polling or whatever that it’s not going over well, they start half assed denouncements and their media mouthpieces start running interference trying to shift blame elsewhere.

Oh, you mean the rioting and violence being provoked and/or perpetrated by right wing hate groups and racist cops?

This country is in the toilet and it's your guy running the show. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

You, apparently. Your whole post states you have ideas based on what you heard, instead of what you saw. And you are all too happy to come in here to tell everyone what they saw doesn't match what you heard and that they are wrong.

Also look at crime statistics for large cities and compare between their political leanings. Don't have someone regurgitate their understanding of the stats, you look for them. Are other factors in play with those stats like poverty levels? Also look at the violence from those protests and see who is actually the agitators within them. Do they typically lean left or right? And I'm not talking curfew violations.

After all that, you might need to ask yourself, who is really out of touch with reality. But you won't, cause it's not about what is real. It's about triggering the libs and cheap circus sideshows to entertain the idiots. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Oh, you mean the rioting and violence being provoked and/or perpetrated by right wing hate groups and racist cops?

This country is in the toilet and it's your guy running the show. 

Right on message. Well done. Good luck with that framing. 

• Fuck You 3

15 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

That's easy, you. Your post demonstrates it admirably. Spoonfed arguments about the ebil Dems. Dogmatic and aligned characterization of the whole BLM movement as criminal activity. Weird presumptions about my preferred media. Projecting on me the same party adherence you display.

I watched a fair amount of both conventions. The Dems managed cornball and boring pretty well themselves. At least it was inclusive and not divisive. I think they fairly characterize the threat to the republic represented by Trump's disregard for tradition, law, and even decency. Ironically, they are what they've wanted the world to believe libs are. They threaten the republic.

As for decrying the lawless element of the demonstrations, is it really necessary to repeat endlessly that you are opposed to violence and crime? Despite his close association with a child sex trafficker and good wishes for another, I didn't hear Trump decrying pedophilia or child rape. Should I conclude that he supports those things?

A broader point about you barely watching anything of the GOP convention other than the few moments that you could find to commend is rather telling, isn't it? I don't have to hide the fact that I watched the Dem convention and will vote their way. I suspect that you hide your attention to the GOPs because you know how indefensible the lies, crimes, and danger actually are.

How nice that you don't have to account for the royal family's speeches or the rest of the shitshow.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Remember, he’s definitely not voting for trump.

27 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

You and your fellow Trumpkins are out of touch with reality and are frankly, sick and broken people.

The president just used the people’s White House and the Washington monument as props for his campaign commercial and you and your fellow Trumpkins see absolutely nothing wrong with it. George Washington didn’t give up the presidency so scumbags like you and trump could later on shit all over it.

You and your fellow Trumpkins are sick and depraved people. I hope someday you see the light but you won’t. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

You, apparently. Your whole post states you have ideas based on what you heard, instead of what you saw. And you are all too happy to come in here to tell everyone what they saw doesn't match what you heard and that they are wrong.

Also look at crime statistics for large cities and compare between their political leanings. Don't have someone regurgitate their understanding of the stats, you look for them. Are other factors in play with those stats like poverty levels? Also look at the violence from those protests and see who is actually the agitators within them. Do they typically lean left or right? And I'm not talking curfew violations.

After all that, you might need to ask yourself, who is really out of touch with reality. But you won't, cause it's not about what is real. It's about triggering the libs and cheap circus sideshows to entertain the idiots. 

I stated that my understanding was during DNC riots and political violence were not addressed. Am I wrong?

Is there clear evidence during each protest who is causing the violence? Who’s taking notes on that? 

Did right wingers set up the insanely chill CHOP? What about all the right wingers in Portland every night? Minneapolis too? Chicago? Please. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

The president just used the people’s White House and the Washington monument as props for his campaign commercial and you and your fellow Trumpkins see absolutely nothing wrong with it. 

Trump was doing a WFH convention speech. 

• Fuck You 3

8 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That's easy, you. Your post demonstrates it admirably. Spoonfed arguments about the ebil Dems. Dogmatic and aligned characterization of the whole BLM movement as criminal activity. Weird presumptions about my preferred media. Projecting on me the same party adherence you display.

I watched a fair amount of both conventions. The Dems managed cornball and boring pretty well themselves. At least it was inclusive and not divisive. I think they fairly characterize the threat to the republic represented by Trump's disregard for tradition, law, and even decency. Ironically, they are what they've wanted the world to believe libs are. They threaten the republic.

As for decrying the lawless element of the demonstrations, is it really necessary to repeat endlessly that you are opposed to violence and crime? Despite his close association with a child sex trafficker and good wishes for another, I didn't hear Trump decrying pedophilia or child rape. Should I conclude that he supports those things?

A broader point about you barely watching anything of the GOP convention other than the few moments that you could find to commend is rather telling, isn't it? I don't have to hide the fact that I watched the Dem convention and will vote their way. I suspect that you hide your attention to the GOPs because you know how indefensible the lies, crimes, and danger actually are.

How nice that you don't have to account for the royal family's speeches or the rest of the shitshow.

I didn’t watch either because it’s mostly hot air. And I have a lot of shit going on at home. It’s funnier to follow online anyway. 

8 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Awwww, so sad.

ballgame

• Fuck You 1

42 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Because if you really want to look at it from a governmental rather than political perspective, riots occurring in cities are NOT A FEDERAL ISSUE.

If a city or state wants to request federal assistance because they can't handle it themselves, that's one thing.  But otherwise, the federal government should shut the fuck up.  

If you want to look at it from a federalism or "local control" issue, it's really none of the federal government's business.

And any unilateral federal response to localized rioting, unless requested by local authorities, is completely wrongheaded and cynically political.

And from an even broader perspective, if a politician, especially a federal one, is spewing shit about crime, assume that you are being lied to to exploit your fear for political gain.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I stated that my understanding was during DNC riots and political violence were not addressed. Am I wrong?

Is there clear evidence during each protest who is causing the violence? Who’s taking notes on that? 

Did right wingers set up the insanely chill CHOP? What about all the right wingers in Portland every night? Minneapolis too? Chicago? Please. 

Lots of it was addressed and their root cause highlighted. There is an issue with our legal system which a lot of the country is unhappy about and its discussed in the platform. Portland is just a marketing item for the Right to justify being uber Law and Order. The local government is handling it like their constituents want and Portland is still there, it hasn't burned down. Love the faux outrage though. 

How are crime rates in Dem run cities against Rep run ones? Not temporary flair ups because Law and Order likes to murder civilians, long term crime rates? 

3 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

How are crime rates in Dem run cities against Rep run ones? Not temporary flair ups because Law and Order likes to murder civilians, long term crime rates? 

Hey GR....since the "crime rate" is a telling stat....why don't you check out the rates of crime, addiction, and overdoses, on a PER CAPITA basis, in counties?  You're gonna have a BLAST when you see what the per capita rate is in hardcore red counties.  

• Hook 'Em 1